What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2016 GOP thread: Is it really going to be Donald Trump?? (2 Viewers)

timschochet

Footballguy
There are two Hillary threads out there, and both of them are getting bogged down with talk about who her opponent will be. That discussion deserves it's own master thread- so here it is!

Already in the race:

Ben Carson

Ted Cruz

Carly Fiorina

Mike Huckabee

Rand Paul

Marco Rubio

Likely to be in the race:

Jeb Bush

Ben Carson

Chris Christie

Lindsay Graham

Mike Huckabee

John Kasich

Rick Perry

Rick Santorum

Scott Walker

Still Considering

John Bolton

Bobby Jindal

John Kasich

Peter King

George Pataki

Last edited by a moderator:
Latest Quinniac national poll, released today:

Marco Rubio 15%

Jeb Bush 13%

Scott Walker 11%

Ted Cruz 9%

Rand Paul 8%

Chris Christie 7%

Mike Huckabee 7%

Nobody else is higher than 3%. 14% unsure. The margin of error is 4.1%

I could never do Iowa, but New Hampshire would be an option just to make it feel like I had a hand in the nominee.

As a likely Gary Johnson voter, the only two I'd likely donate to are Walker and Paul.

There are two Hillary threads out there, and both of them are getting bogged down with talk about who her opponent will be. That discussion deserves it's own master thread- so here it is!

Already in the race:

Ted Cruz

Rand Paul

Marco Rubio

Jeb Bush

Ben Carson

Chris Christie

Lindsay Graham

Mike Huckabee

Carly Fiorina

Rick Perry

Rick Santorum

Scott Walker

Still Considering

John Bolton

Bobby Jindal

John Kasich

Peter King

George Pataki
You forgot the clownstick who says "You're Fired" - oh and Christie is slipping into group 3.

Is Graham really likely?

-QG

Already in the race:

Ted Cruz

Rand Paul

Marco Rubio

Jeb Bush

Ben Carson

Chris Christie

Lindsay Graham

Mike Huckabee

Carly Fiorina

Rick Perry

Rick Santorum

Scott Walker

Still Considering

John Bolton

Bobby Jindal

John Kasich

Peter King

George Pataki
You forgot the clownstick who says "You're Fired" - oh and Christie is slipping into group 3.Is Graham really likely?

-QG
i heard him talking today and I think he is. So is Christie. Trump's s non-starter.

Statistics (and a little rounding) suggests that one of the candidates on the above list is gay. Gotta be Christie, right?

Statistics (and a little rounding) suggests that one of the candidates on the above list is gay. Gotta be Christie, right?
i would think Cruz, since he looks just like Pee Wee Herman except a little wider. Fiorina and Graham are possible as well.

This is coming down to Bush vs. Christie in my opinion. They'll blow the other lightweights away once the debates start. If you listen to all the candidates speak on the issues, only Bush and Christie come off as capable candidates. I think either of those two candidates have a decent shot in the general vs. Hilary as both are more believable than Hilary.

i would think Cruz, since he looks just like Pee Wee Herman except a little wider.
No, Cruz resembles Joe McCarthy (and eerily has a similar spoken delivery which some critics have suggested is not unintentional):

https://www.google.com/search?q=ted+cruz%2Bjoe+mccarthy&client=gmail&rls=aso&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=iXk5VYuXC8vZsAS57IGgDw&ved=0CB4QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=641

i would think Cruz, since he looks just like Pee Wee Herman except a little wider.
No, Cruz resembles Joe McCarthy (and eerily has a similar spoken delivery which some critics have suggested is not unintentional):

https://www.google.com/search?q=ted+cruz%2Bjoe+mccarthy&client=gmail&rls=aso&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=iXk5VYuXC8vZsAS57IGgDw&ved=0CB4QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=641
As if we needed another reason to be scared of him getting the presidency.

i would think Cruz, since he looks just like Pee Wee Herman except a little wider.Fiorina and Graham are possible as well.
Nailed it.

"He was an extreme fan of the Les Misérables soundtrack," Mr. Wunker said.
very interesting article. Cruz will be fun to watch in the debates, no doubt about that.

Rand Paul's son cited for DUI. Apparently he was belligerent, refused to take s breathalyzer, rude to the cops. For some reason he wasn't arrested though...

GOP may as well nominate Bozo the clown. Until the party joins reality they have little chance of gaining the presidency.

Wish thwy would push Kasich more...id prefer him to any on that list.

If its a Walker vs Clinton....oof.

Making his case to unite the party:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/26/us/politics/scott-walker-runs-on-faith-as-iowa-nears.html?_r=0

DES MOINES — Scott Walker, the son of a Baptist preacher, learned a lot about being a politician by going to church.

He was introduced to glad-handing while greeting worshipers beside his father after Sunday services. His confidence as a public speaker began at 2, when he delivered a Christmas greeting from the pulpit, and it blossomed when he preached occasional sermons as a teenager. And now, Mr. Walker’s lifelong church involvement may be a powerful asset as he positions himself to run for the Republican presidential nomination and focuses on early primary and caucus states dominated by evangelical voters.

Already a hero to fiscal conservatives — both the Tea Party base and billionaire donors like Charles G. and David H. Koch — Mr. Walker, the governor of Wisconsin, made his most explicit appeal yet to the Christian right on Saturday before hundreds of social conservatives in Iowa. During his toughest times in office, he said, “What sustained us all along the way is we had people who said, ‘We prayed for you.’ ”

His implicit message is that in an unusually fractured Republican field, with 10 or more candidates potentially on the ballot in the Iowa caucuses next year, he is best positioned to unite the party.

Ahead of Saturday’s candidate event — organized by the Iowa Faith and Freedom Coalition, part of the national group led by the religious activist Ralph Reed — Mr. Walker hardened his positions on issues considered litmus tests for social conservatives, including abortion and immigration. He suggested in an interview with Glenn Beck on Monday that there are too many legal immigrants, a position to the right of other 2016 hopefuls.

But it is Mr. Walker’s biography that could make him especially attractive to Christian conservatives. A life story that began in the Baptist churches his father led in Colorado, Iowa and Wisconsin continues today at the nondenominational evangelical church he attends in his hometown, Wauwatosa, Wis.

“My relationship with God drives every major decision in my life,” Mr. Walker said in an emailed statement. While that relationship does not direct his daily decisions, he said, “our walk of faith helps us prepare for those decisions and provides us comfort as we seek to do God’s will.”

Advertisement
Continue reading the main story
During his political rise in Wisconsin, Mr. Walker did not often emphasize his faith. But evangelicals make up nearly 60 percent of Republican caucusgoers in Iowa. They are an important factor in Southern primaries. And they continue to have an outsize influence on the Republican nominating process.

While he was raised a dutiful “P.K.,” or pastor’s kid, Mr. Walker’s spiritual journey has not been without conflict. Over the years, his political views have sometimes made him a source of controversy in the places where he has worshiped.

Mr. Walker’s father, the Rev. Llewellyn S. Walker, was a minister in the American Baptist Churches USA, a more pluralistic denomination than the conservative and better-known Southern Baptist Convention. Pastor Llew, as he was known, is a Republican, but politics and the social causes of the day did not animate his First Baptist Church in Delavan, Wis., where Mr. Walker lived from age 10 until he left for college. His father was foremost “a caregiver to the congregation,” said the church’s current pastor, the Rev. Michael Ida. He would spend half a day sitting in the hospital room of an ailing church member, praying and shooting the breeze.

Before the elder Mr. Walker retired in 1995, at the age of 56, he struggled with depression, Mr. Ida said. His wife, Pat, and the teenage Scott Walker shouldered some of his pastoral duties. “There were Sundays when Scott would preach the sermon,” Mr. Ida said.

As an adult, Mr. Walker moved to Wauwatosa, a Milwaukee suburb, in search of a Republican-leaning district in which to run for the State Assembly. He and his wife, Tonette, joined another American Baptist congregation, Underwood Memorial Baptist Church, which had a history of social activism.

A dozen years later, in 2005, Underwood voted to affiliate with the Association of Welcoming and Affirming Baptists, a gay-accepting national group, and a small rainbow flag was affixed to its signboard. (The hiring of a woman as pastor in 2003 had accelerated its progressive tilt.)

Mr. Walker, by then a candidate for governor, left the church.

“Tonette said they were looking for a more family-friendly place,” said Marilyn Carrington, a longtime member.

Some members believed he had cut ties because of Underwood’s liberal drift. “As soon as we put the flag on the sign, he was out of there,” said Kevin Genich, a former church member who knew Mr. Walker.

After a campaign event in Iowa on Friday, Mr. Walker deflected a question about whether he had left Underwood because it openly embraced gay members. He said there were few children the ages of his sons there. “Ultimately, we wanted to go to a place where our kids would have the ability to interact with other kids,” he said.

Mr. Walker’s parents, who in retirement had moved to be near their son and joined Underwood, had no objections. They continue to worship there.

Meadowbrook Church, where Mr. Walker now worships, is politically and theologically conservative. It is accepted among the church’s clergy and congregation that the Bible is the word of God, “without error,” and that Christ’s return is “imminent.” It is led by a council of elders that is open only to men.

While the Rev. Jamie Washam, the pastor of Underwood, opposed a Wisconsin ballot measure to ban same-sex marriage in 2006, Meadowbrook’s pastor urged members to vote to define marriage as between one man and one woman. “The church cannot recognize any alternative arrangements as being God’s will for any persons or society,” the pastor, John Mackett, wrote on a church blog.

At the same time, Meadowbrook is not politically active on issues like abortion. Sermons hew close to Bible readings.

Mr. Mackett, who stepped down as pastor last year, said he had often received text messages from Mr. Walker on a Monday discussing his sermon. “It was never a trite remark,” he said. “It came out of a thoughtful reflection on something that was said or happened in church.”

Describing the governor as “a very disciplined man,” he said Mr. Walker followed a morning routine that included exercise, prayer and Bible study. Before being elected governor, Mr. Walker and his wife met with other couples for Bible study Sunday evenings in their home.

Advertisement
“Scott’s seeking God is a 24/7 thing,” said Mr. Mackett’s wife, Betsy. “It’s not just checking a box on Sunday.”

But Meadowbrook did not escape the political convulsions touched off during Mr. Walker’s first term as governor. In a speech to the congregation during its annual meeting in 2013, Mr. Mackett pleaded for an end to the “turmoil” caused by “slander” and “name calling” among members divided by politics.

He declined to elaborate in an interview. But Lee Heyward, who succeeded Mr. Mackett as head pastor, said, “John and Meadowbrook were going through a really tumultuous time during that whole season of Act 10,” referring to the law Mr. Walker signed in 2011 that stripped Wisconsin’s public employees of most bargaining rights.

The church has many members who are teachers, Mr. Heyward said, and they vociferously opposed the governor. “There were people in the church that wanted John to come out and speak against Governor Walker and his policies,” Mr. Heyward said. There were also supporters of the governor who wanted to hear their pastor defend him. Mr. Mackett refused to introduce politics into his sermons. Some people on both sides left Meadowbrook. Mr. Walker said that when tens of thousands of protesters filled the State Capitol during the debate over Act 10, “my faith helped me stay calm and focus on the issue instead of matching anger with anger.”

Beyond policies, what evangelical voters say they want to learn about candidates is whether they speak a common language about the role of faith in their lives. On Saturday, Mr. Walker sought to show just that, telling a lengthy story of a devotional text he had been sent by a friend. The passage was meant to console him in case he lost his 2012 recall election. “It really would have been powerful if I had lost,” Mr. Walker said.

But not long after his victory, he learned of a supporter, a Wisconsin dairy farmer, who had died of a heart attack the day before the June election. Mr. Walker said he realized the devotional passage might console the man’s widow. The governor told of calling her, and he read the phrases, in the voice of Jesus, that he had read to her.

“ ‘The way to walk through demanding times is to grip my hand tightly,’ ” he read, letting the leather book fall open as if leading a congregation. “ ‘Regardless of the day’s problems, I can keep you in perfect peace as you stay close to me.’ ”

GOP may as well nominate Bozo the clown. Until the party joins reality they have little chance of gaining the presidency.
Republicans hold an advantage in the U.S. Senate and huge advantages in the U.S. House of Representatives, Governorships, State Senates, and State Legislatures

When one party's leaders are telling the voting public things like "We have to pass the bill to find out what's in it" about fundamentally transformative pieces of legislation, I'm wondering who lives in reality and who is "moderately capable" to lead a republic.

Here's the problem as I see it:

You nominate Bush or Rubio you may win Florida but you lose Ohio, Wisconsin, and maybe Virginia to Clinton, and she only needs 2 out of 3.

You nominate anyone other than Bush or Rubio you lose Florida.

Republicans hold an advantage in the U.S. Senate and huge advantages in the U.S. House of Representatives, Governorships, State Senates, and State Legislatures

When one party's leaders are telling the voting public things like "We have to pass the bill to find out what's in it" about fundamentally transformative pieces of legislation, I'm wondering who lives in reality and who is "moderately capable" to lead a republic.
Obamacare is here, at least its a plan. What is the GOP plan for healthcare reform?

Always easy to spot the libs that have no clue.
:goodposting:

I love it when lefties suggest who conservatives should vote for - as if they have our best interests in mind. :rolleyes:
I'm not suggesting who you should vote for. Where did I say that? My point is the GOP are going to have a hard time winning a national election until they change some of their antiquated ridiculous beliefs. I know you don't agree with that, most rep don't get it.

Here's the problem as I see it:

You nominate Bush or Rubio you may win Florida but you lose Ohio, Wisconsin, and maybe Virginia to Clinton, and she only needs 2 out of 3.

You nominate anyone other than Bush or Rubio you lose Florida.
Unless Rubio is VP, which is a very real possibility. That also changes the demographic electoral map for the GOP in many places, as does Rubio as the nominee at the top of the ticket.

Of course the Democrats are dead lock guaranteed to nominate Castro as VP themselves no matter what.

Nobody in the field is equipped to talk about criminal justice reform and the root causes of the rioting all while insisting that the force of the police will be brought to bear on those who destroy personal or public property.

I can't think of a guy even remotely close to being able to discuss that, or who has made it the centerpiece of his brief political career. Who from the GOP could possibly say that without sounding incongruous and disingenuous?

Oh, wait...

http://www.paul.senate.gov

Nobody in the field is equipped to talk about criminal justice reform and the root causes of the rioting all while insisting that the force of the police will be brought to bear on those who destroy personal or public property.

I can't think of a guy even remotely close to being able to discuss that, or who has made it the centerpiece of his brief political career. Who from the GOP could possibly say that without sounding incongruous and disingenuous?

Oh, wait...

http://www.paul.senate.gov
You're right, but he's not saying what I suspect the Republican voters will want to hear. I suspect that after tonight what they will want to hear is something like this:

I'm not going to allow our cities to burn. There's going to be law and order, and if I'm elected, the attorney general will arrest anyone who starts this stuff and anyone who incites it. No more violence!

Watch the candidates fall all over each other trying to talk as tough about this as possible.

I think Rubio gets the nomination.
He's not going to win Iowa. He has to finish top 3 in New Hampshire and South Carolina, and then win Florida. And Walker has to be done early.

If Rubio can get into a 1 on 1 race against Jeb Bush, then he's got a real advantage, because given that choice the base will probably go with Rubio. But for that to happen, Walker has to be eliminated early. Walker 's Rubio's biggest threat.

Bush needs several candidates to stay relevant so that the base doesn't back either Rubio or Walker.

Other than fiscally(well, that and seeing cr8f's head explode), what is appealing about Walker?
Anyone?
He unites the base and the establishment. He's possibly the only candidate that can.

I also wrote earlier that there is an "everyman" persona about him that might attract voters, somewhat like a young Richard Nixon. Nixon wasn't at all charismatic either, but that worked to his benefit in a strange way. People felt that Nixon was a regular guy. They might feel the same way about Walker.

Eugene Robinson suggested today that Jeb Bush should come out in favor of gay marriage. I was thinking about this and from a political standpoint, why not?

The conservatives that would vote against him in the primaries over this aren't voting for him anyhow- he's too establishment, and they detest his views on immigration and Common Core. Independents will admire him for being brave (the only way to be brave on this issue any longer is to be a Republican).

I think he should do it.

Eugene Robinson suggested today that Jeb Bush should come out in favor of gay marriage. I was thinking about this and from a political standpoint, why not?

The conservatives that would vote against him in the primaries over this aren't voting for him anyhow- he's too establishment, and they detest his views on immigration and Common Core. Independents will admire him for being brave (the only way to be brave on this issue any longer is to be a Republican).

I think he should do it.
Sure he might. He was in Puerto Rico today pledging support for statehood, so he's pretty much grabbing any tree branch that flies past his open window at this point.

Saints, your governor is getting louder and louder, but the polls show that among the people he is trying to attract (religious and social conservatives) he has NO support. Cruz, Huckabee, Carson, Santorum, Perry all vying for this same group of voters, and Jindal's barely a blip on the radar. Yet he keeps pushing on...

Saints, your governor is getting louder and louder, but the polls show that among the people he is trying to attract (religious and social conservatives) he has NO support. Cruz, Huckabee, Carson, Santorum, Perry all vying for this same group of voters, and Jindal's barely a blip on the radar. Yet he keeps pushing on...
Mon dieu, did he do anything today?

His poll numbers are plummeting here (I believe). I think Plan B is he uses all this fundraising and barnstorming to try to get a VP slot from a moderate candidate or a cabinet position, like HHS. He could still run for Senate, Vitter is already stepping in as governor.

Other than fiscally(well, that and seeing cr8f's head explode), what is appealing about Walker?
Anyone?
He unites the base and the establishment. He's possibly the only candidate that can.

I also wrote earlier that there is an "everyman" persona about him that might attract voters, somewhat like a young Richard Nixon. Nixon wasn't at all charismatic either, but that worked to his benefit in a strange way. People felt that Nixon was a regular guy. They might feel the same way about Walker.
So basically...no real tangible reason to support him other than he unites a base of people that I pretty much don't like given how the base has acted in recent years.

Oof.

I don't think the base is even a base with as many as 12 candidates getting in. I don't think anyone knows what Walker can do yet because he's not even in the race yet. I don't even know what he's done or stands for except for the public union collective bargaining thing.

I think he should do it.
No one wants another Bush. He can says he for or against everything and anything. He's not getting the nomination.

Carly Fiorina has made it official. That makes the list of official candidates currently at 4:

Ted Cruz

Rand Paul

Marco Rubio

Carly Fiorina

Ben Carson is supposed to announce this week, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread