Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Gary Coal Man

Baltimore: The Next Ferguson?

There's plenty you can say about a subject without pretending that you know what it's like to be something you're not. I've probably posted as much as anyone in this thread + the Ferguson thread and I've never once pretended that I have any idea what it feels like to grow up black and impoverished in an American city (except for a single brief discussion about how Charles Barkley is an elderly buffoon that I suspect most young black people would ignore).

But why would someone need to be black to point out the hypocrisy of having Ray Lewis as a spokesmen against violence?

They don't. Pointing out that hypocrisy is totally valid. It's also funny as hell. I'd be disappointed if we hadn't pointed it out.

However you need to be black, or at least have an intimate knowledge of the community, to talk about who has "street cred' with black people and why, and whether "a murderous black athlete has more credibility than the first black president of the United States." Otherwise I don't know what you could possibly be relying on to form that opinion.

Why do you seek to divide humanity into camps where on group can't relate to the other group simply because they aren't the other group?

It's a valid point regardless of the skin color of the person who makes it.

So tell me genius, how do you explain this incontrovertible FACT:

- in 1965 the percentage of illegitimate black babies was 25%. Today the number is 70%.

People like you live to blame the breakdown of the black family on white racism or the vestiges of slavery. Unfortunately the data doesn't show that.

Why has the black family broken down? And why does the breakdown coincide with the flood of liberal programs that came on the scene right when the numbers spiked?

A little harsh approach but this is a pretty interesting statistic/question.

It is, isn't it. This is the 50th anniversary of the Moynihan's famous report in 1965 - The Negro Family: The Case For National Action. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moynihan_Report

The report was panned by Liberals at the time, including Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton as stereotyping the black family. How does it look 50 years later when, despite Liberals doling out tons of money and aid, the problem has tripled? Think old racist Patty Boy may have been on to something?

:lmao: Screw it. I wasn't going to post in this thread anymore but I realized that I'm taking some of you guys a little too seriously.

Al Sharpton was 10 years old at the time. Jesse Jackson was 23 and studying to be an ordained minister. But I'm betting you're right, they both publicly displayed their outrage! :lmao:

Something that shouldn't be overlooked is the disappearance of middle class and working class jobs and the impact that has had on the poor and middle class. That is a phenomenon that our best policy makers have wrestled with for a long time.

This is a very complex issue that has problems that aren't easily solved or may not even be solvable.

You'd think Baltimore would be a utopia with all the years of democrat control. With all the compassion and tolerance how did it become such a dump?

"Come on, what am I gonna do? Just all of a sudden jump up and grind my feet on somebody’s couch like it’s something to do? Come on. I had a little more sense than that. [short pause] Yeah, I remember grinding my feet on Eddie’s couch."

There's plenty you can say about a subject without pretending that you know what it's like to be something you're not. I've probably posted as much as anyone in this thread + the Ferguson thread and I've never once pretended that I have any idea what it feels like to grow up black and impoverished in an American city (except for a single brief discussion about how Charles Barkley is an elderly buffoon that I suspect most young black people would ignore).

But why would someone need to be black to point out the hypocrisy of having Ray Lewis as a spokesmen against violence?

They don't. Pointing out that hypocrisy is totally valid. It's also funny as hell. I'd be disappointed if we hadn't pointed it out.

However you need to be black, or at least have an intimate knowledge of the community, to talk about who has "street cred' with black people and why, and whether "a murderous black athlete has more credibility than the first black president of the United States." Otherwise I don't know what you could possibly be relying on to form that opinion.

Why do you seek to divide humanity into camps where on group can't relate to the other group simply because they aren't the other group?

You think people can offer an educated perspective on the attitudes and opinions of groups to which they don't belong and about which they know very little? Interesting.

Follow-up question: why does your family hate Jews so much?

And don't you dare tell me I'm wrong. My opinion about your family is just as valid as yours, regardless of the genealogy of the person who makes it.

Edited by TobiasFunke

Ray Lewis telling people to stop the violence is like Cosby telling black kids to pull their pants up and speak English.

It's definitely a good message but wow...the messenger is an awe-inspiring hypocritical choice.

Street cred. He has it cause he killed someone. They might listen to him.
Thus the hypocrisy and yet another example of how ridiculously far black leadership has fallen.

A murderous former athlete has more credibility than the First Black President of the U.S.

You honestly couldn't write this in a script...it would be considered racist drivel trying to paint black culture negatively.

Kind of funny that a (presumably white) guy with an interest in fantasy football and a job that lets him fart around on the internet all day is the one instructing you on who does and doesn't have "street cred" ... and that you so readily accepted it as the truth.

This has always been my favorite part of these threads- a bunch of upper middle class white suburbanites- many of whom probably haven't spent more than an hour in a majority black neighborhood in many years- suddenly feeling qualified to speak with authority on black culture.

You sure you wouldn't rather express your feelings in an angry PM? also you post way more often than I do so :kettle:

You think people can offer an educated perspective on the attitudes and opinions of groups to which they don't belong and about which they know very little? Interesting.

Follow-up question: why does your family hate Jews so much?

And don't you dare tell me I'm wrong. My opinion about your family is just as valid as yours, regardless of the genealogy of the person who makes it.

You are joke homie

Ray Lewis telling people to stop the violence is like Cosby telling black kids to pull their pants up and speak English.

It's definitely a good message but wow...the messenger is an awe-inspiring hypocritical choice.

Thus the hypocrisy and yet another example of how ridiculously far black leadership has fallen.

A murderous former athlete has more credibility than the First Black President of the U.S.

You honestly couldn't write this in a script...it would be considered racist drivel trying to paint black culture negatively.

Kind of funny that a (presumably white) guy with an interest in fantasy football and a job that lets him fart around on the internet all day is the one instructing you on who does and doesn't have "street cred" ... and that you so readily accepted it as the truth.

This has always been my favorite part of these threads- a bunch of upper middle class white suburbanites- many of whom probably haven't spent more than an hour in a majority black neighborhood in many years- suddenly feeling qualified to speak with authority on black culture.

Yet you are always a dominate voice in these threads, are you black?

No, he is an upper middle class white suburbanite.

• Like 1

You sure you wouldn't rather express your feelings in an angry PM? also you post way more often than I do so :kettle:

Yup, sure do. And yet somehow I've been able to avoid telling everyone else about black culture and who has "street cred."

I'm good on the PM, not sure what you meant there.

Regarding Ray Lewis, why is it that white conservatives seem to love it when any black guy is willing to criticize other black people? Whether it's Bill Cosby or Charles Barkley, anytime a black celebrity says "It's OUR own fault!" all the white conservatives stand up and cheer.

Regarding Ray Lewis, why is it that white conservatives seem to love it when any black guy is willing to criticize other black people? Whether it's Bill Cosby or Charles Barkley, anytime a black celebrity says "It's OUR own fault!" all the white conservatives stand up and cheer.

People love when others reaffirm what we already think.

Edited by Hang 10

Rhetorical yes?

TF please post your race and the basis of your intimate knowledge of impoverished black comnunities.

Yet you are always a dominate voice in these threads, are you black?

No, he is an upper middle class white suburbanite.

Take back this slander! I'm no suburbanite- yet. The clock is ticking

“the stranger who dwells among you shall be to you as one born among you, and you shall love him as yourself

So you obviously disagree with Lewis? Or was this just an odd chance to take a shot at white conservatives?

Ray Lewis is a moron and has serious character flaws, however if part of the black community listens...thank you Ray Lewis.

Something that shouldn't be overlooked is the disappearance of middle class and working class jobs and the impact that has had on the poor and middle class. That is a phenomenon that our best policy makers have wrestled with for a long time.

This is a very complex issue that has problems that aren't easily solved or may not even be solvable.

Rhetorical yes?

TF please post your race and the basis of your intimate knowledge of impoverished black comnunities.

You seem to be confusing my saying other people don't have knowledge with saying that I do have it. You won't see me lecturing everyone about what some other community or group of people thinks or does, at least not without a citation to someone who has a basis for that knowledge.

Something that can't be overlooked is the amount of times you have posted this!

Probably because they don't like being told it is their fault.

Rhetorical yes?

He better f-ing be black for as much as he has schooled us on how we are not black enough to understand.

So much for a home crowd for the Orioles.They just announced tomorrows game will be closed to the public.

Thousands of people are walking around Baltimore's streets right now, cleaning up all of the debris and destruction. From all reports, there is feeling of cooperation and generosity and willingness to help each other.

These are the feel good stories that we don't hear enough about. The truth is that for every criminal and thug, there are dozens of good people out there.

• Like 1

Rhetorical yes?

He better f-ing be black for as much as he has schooled us on how we are not black enough to understand.

:lol: don't hold your breath.

So much for a home crowd for the Orioles.They just announced tomorrows game will be closed to the public.

I'm looking forward to your "Rioting in Yoga Pants" bump later this week....

• Like 1

True. Many have gone overseas. Many have (either directly or indirectly) been made obsolete by advances in technology.

Edited by whiskey7

:lmao: one non serious post = lecturing people. What are you so angry about anyway?

I promise you I'm not angry about anything. And if you look back you'll see my original reply wasn't actually to you, it was to tdoss (who I consider an iFriend) taking your post about Lewis and running with it and coming to some strained conclusions about the credibility of Lewis vs Obama and whatnot.

Edited by TobiasFunke

Thousands of people are walking around Baltimore's streets right now, cleaning up all of the debris and destruction. From all reports, there is feeling of cooperation and generosity and willingness to help each other.

These are the feel good stories that we don't hear enough about. The truth is that for every criminal and thug, there are dozens of good people out there.

Waiting for Fox to report these people were bused in...professional looter cleaner uppers.

• Like 2

Rhetorical yes?

:lol: don't hold your breath.

How come all of a sudden I picture him as Robert Downey Jr. in Tropical Heat. Tropic Thunder

Edited by Two Deep

So you obviously disagree with Lewis? Or was this just an odd chance to take a shot at white conservatives?

Oh I'm sure it's a little of both.

VERY fair point made right here.

I think we should start a thread about this good posting.

While people are yapping about moonwalking and Ray Lewis

Sheik bringing the good posts!