Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Gary Coal Man

Baltimore: The Next Ferguson?

Hence my earlier post about the disappearance of middle class and lower class jobs. There are bigger issues at hand here. The VAST majority of the posts in this thread are misguided at best in terms of addressing root cause. I see a lot of posts parroting what the media is spouting but very few addressing root cause.

To be fair, this problem isn't going anywhere anytime soon... if ever. The black riots we're seeing are just the tip of an iceberg of economic divide that this country is barreling toward. It's not going to be pretty when it hits full-force either.

Agreed

Agree X2. Makes me think of this

Baltimore needs a mayor like Morgan Freeman from 'Lean on Me' who will categorically 'expel' all the thugs and trouble makers from Baltimore in one fell swoop. Anyone caught looting tonight loses their constitional rights and gets sent away (maybe to Philadelphia?). You dont get expelled based on the color of skin or your socio-demograpic standing, but for looting and rioting and disturbing the peace. We do this for all cities until only the good people are left and can rebuild their neighborhoods based on virtues like honesty and hard work.

[Yes this breaks like a million laws and is unconstitutional - just brainstorming here]

Edited by Native

So we don't have a national problem of police mistreating blacks?

Maybe..., but we definitely have a national problem of police mistreating civilians (black, white, yellow, red, etc.).

So we don't have a national problem of police mistreating blacks?

Maybe..., but we definitely have a national problem of police mistreating civilians (black, white, yellow, red, etc.).

technology will solve this...will have cameras on every policeman in major cities within five years if not sooner.

Technology has already significantly reduced crime, it will do the same for policing policemen.

Edited by TripItUp

Hence my earlier post about the disappearance of middle class and lower class jobs. There are bigger issues at hand here. The VAST majority of the posts in this thread are misguided at best in terms of addressing root cause. I see a lot of posts parroting what the media is spouting but very few addressing root cause.

To be fair, this problem isn't going anywhere anytime soon... if ever. The black riots we're seeing are just the tip of an iceberg of economic divide that this country is barreling toward. It's not going to be pretty when it hits full-force either.

Agreed

Agree X2. Makes me think of this

Baltimore needs a mayor like Morgan Freeman from 'Lean on Me' who will categorically 'expel' all the thugs and trouble makers from Baltimore in one fell swoop. Anyone caught looting tonight loses their constitional rights and gets sent away (maybe to Philadelphia?). You dont get expelled based on the color of skin or your socio-demograpic standing, but for looting and rioting and disturbing the peace. We do this for all cities until only the good people are left and can rebuild their neighborhoods based on virtues like honesty and hard work.

[Yes this breaks like a million laws and is unconstitutional - just brainstorming here]

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/29/mayor-defends-one-way-tickets-for-homeless/

The above was a great program for NY and I wish the city did more of it. One way ticket, 500+ miles away...I'd donate to this program.

Orioles home game tomorrow will be closed to the public.

wow . its going to make for some strange video

I smell a 30 for 30 episode.

A method to the madness...

One of the Crips members, who called himself Charles, wearing a red Chicago Bulls Derrick Rose T-shirt, said the gang members had taken to the street because there is only so far that you can push people into a corner.

Were frustrated, he continued, and thats why were out there in the streets.

Then he described how he and some Bloods had stood in front of black-owned stores to protect them from looting or vandalism. He said they had made sure no black children, or reporters, were hit by rioters. They pointed them toward Chinese- and Arab-owned stores.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/28/us/amid-violence-factions-and-messages-converge-in-a-weary-and-unsettled-baltimore.html?_r=2

Progress?

Nothing new about that either. During the LA Riots my family owned a building on Atlantic Avenue in North Long Beach. Half the building was leased to a black church, the other half to an appliance store owned by a Korean. The pastor of the church, one of the bravest women I have ever had the pleasure to know, stood out in front of the building, unarmed, and told the rioters to go elsewhere, which they did. Several other buildings close by were looted or burned; ours stayed undamaged. Eventually we sold the building to her.

• Like 2

One of the Crips members, who called himself Charles, wearing a red Chicago Bulls Derrick Rose T-shirt, said the gang members had taken to the street because there is only so far that you can push people into a corner.

Then he described how he and some Bloods had stood in front of black-owned stores to protect them from looting or vandalism. He said they had made sure no black children, or reporters, were hit by rioters. They pointed them toward Chinese- and Arab-owned stores.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/28/us/amid-violence-factions-and-messages-converge-in-a-weary-and-unsettled-baltimore.html?_r=2

Progress?

How messed up is the thought of that though?

Not, "protecting others and/or businesses"...but just black owned businesses.

It's perverse how accepting of this type of mentality we've all become.

If anyone said that they were looking out for whites only...it'd be the end of the world.

They'd be labeled racists and rightfully so...

Trippy world/time we live in...

One of the Crips members, who called himself Charles, wearing a red Chicago Bulls Derrick Rose T-shirt, said the gang members had taken to the street because “there is only so far that you can push people into a corner.”

“We’re frustrated,” he continued, “and that’s why we’re out there in the streets.”

Isn't this the essence of burying the lede by the NYT.

"And oh yes at the end of this important article we mention that the gangs engaged in race-based destruction.":

This is horrendous.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

Guest General Tso

Nothing new about that either. During the LA Riots my family owned a building on Atlantic Avenue in North Long Beach. Half the building was leased to a black church, the other half to an appliance store owned by a Korean. The pastor of the church, one of the bravest women I have ever had the pleasure to know, stood out in front of the building, unarmed, and told the rioters to go elsewhere, which they did. Several other buildings close by were looted or burned; ours stayed undamaged. Eventually we sold the building to her.

And if the Korean had stood out in front of the building instead?

From the NYT:

A couple of the young men wore bandannas to hide their identity. The young men identified themselves as members of the Crips, Bloods and Black Guerrilla Family street gangs.

I never heard of these guys:

Philosophy and goals

Inspired by Marcus Garvey, the Black Guerilla Family was characterized as an ideological African-American Marxist revolutionary organization composed of prisoners. It was founded with the stated goals of eradicating racism, maintaining dignity in prison, and overthrowing the United States government.

Allies and rivals

BGF was associated with a number of leftist groups, including the Black Liberation Army, Symbionese Liberation Army, and Weather Underground.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Guerrilla_Family

Well, that's just dandy.

Annnd the Black Guerilla Family gang tattoo is in the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) online database:

https://web.archive.org/web/20130405004319/http://archive.adl.org/hate_symbols/tattoo_black_guerilla_family.asp

Background/History

This gang was started at San Quentin State Prison in California in 1966 by former Black Panther, George L. Jackson. The gang has a strong political ideology that promotes Black revolution and the overthrow of the government.

And if the Korean had stood out in front of the building instead?
that probably wouldn't have gone down so well.

That being said, there have always been stories pushed by the NRA about that riot in which Koreans defended their stores with guns. I never heard of any, but the stories could have been true, who knows? One oft-repeated one involved a Korean store owner forced to quickly reload several times, which is an argument for larger gun magazines.

Regarding Ray Lewis, why is it that white conservatives seem to love it when any black guy is willing to criticize other black people? Whether it's Bill Cosby or Charles Barkley, anytime a black celebrity says "It's OUR own fault!" all the white conservatives stand up and cheer.

Probably because they don't like being told it is their fault.

Maybe, but I think it goes deeper than that. When a black person criticizes black culture it validates their internal beliefs. People want to believe they are in a better position in life than other people because of their own talent and efforts and not due to fortunate circumstances. One of the strongest factors is the desire of people (ALL people not just right wing Americans) to think they are morally superior to other people.

So in this case you'll see people on the right claim that the problems black Americans face is due to an immoral black culture and they'll use incarceration rates and illegitimate birth rates as proof. People on the left will use the history of racism as the primary explanation and the indifference / hostility / denial of conservatives on racial issues as proof that they are morally superior.

It's not a formula for improving society.

That being said, there have always been stories pushed by the NRA about that riot in which Koreans defended their stores with guns. I never heard of any, but the stories could have been true, who knows? One oft-repeated one involved a Korean store owner forced to quickly reload several times, which is an argument for larger gun magazines.

If only there was documented proof of it...

This also happened in Ferguson, and it happened in New Orleans. (Not just Koreans obviously...).

Guest General Tso

Progress?

If anyone said that they were looking out for whites only...it'd be the end of the world.

Blacks are more racist than whites are these days. Simple as that. They see the broad problem of police brutality as very specific white racism issue, even when the evidence doesn't exist. Eric Garner - the highest ranking Officer on the scene was black. Walter Scott - the first responder administering first aid on the scene (for which the Police were criticized) was black. Freddie Gray - the Leadership of the Baltimore Government and the Police force for the last 30 years has been overwhelmingly black - 4 of the last 5 Mayors and 7 of the last 10 Police Chiefs - black. And the composition of the police force is only 45% white. Yet the narrative in each of these three incidents immediately jumped to white racism. It's become a Pavlovian response now. Police brutality? White racism is to blame.

Regarding Ray Lewis, why is it that white conservatives seem to love it when any black guy is willing to criticize other black people? Whether it's Bill Cosby or Charles Barkley, anytime a black celebrity says "It's OUR own fault!" all the white conservatives stand up and cheer.

All?

I just posted how damned hypocritical it was in both cases and was promptly told to "shut it whitey!"

My name is whitey and I'm here to say...

Progress?

Blacks are more racist than whites are these days. Simple as that. They see the broad problem of police brutality as very specific white racism issue, even when the evidence doesn't exist. Eric Garner - the highest ranking Officer on the scene was black. Walter Scott - the first responder administering first aid on the scene (for which the Police were criticized) was black. Freddie Gray - the Leadership of the Baltimore Government and the Police force for the last 30 years has been overwhelmingly black - 4 of the last 5 Mayors and 7 of the last 10 Police Chiefs - black. And the composition of the police force is only 45% white. Yet the narrative in each of these three incidents immediately jumped to white racism. It's become a Pavlovian response now. Police brutality? White racism is to blame.

Not white racism. Systemic racism.

Guest General Tso

Progress?

So when the system has been ruled by blacks, and mainly composed of blacks, for 30 years - it is still systemic racism? How do you explain that?

In New Orleans we had this huge fight over whether there should be a Police Monitor. This was major reform which formed part of the larger reform of instituting an Inspector General to fight corruption and track city finances. When Ray Nagin ((D) who happens to be AA) was mayor and the police chief Warren Riley (also happens to be AA) there was resistance to the Police Monitor gaining access to the PD's database in which complaints against police misbehavior were logged and investigated. This came from the AA political establishment and local black press (ie a radio station and one newspaper) as well. The claim was that the Police Monitor would be undermining the chief and invading confidential files. - Then when Mitch Landrieu ((D), from a strong liberal political family, and who happens to be caucasian) came into office, and he appointed a caucasian police chief, then there came this great groundswell of demands for the Police Monitor to be given full access. Which I wholeheartedly support, but it's just funny how and when that switch occurred. - It's sad I guess.

Progress?

So when the system has been ruled by blacks, and mainly composed of blacks, for 30 years - it is still systemic racism? How do you explain that?

“Liberal Paradise” Up in Flames

Thomas DiLorenzo

Baltimore Sun columnist Thomas Schaller, a political science professor at the University of Maryland-Baltimore County, cheerfully heralded the state of Maryland as a “liberal paradise”in 2013.

Maryland is indeed by far the most left-wing state in America, a veritable showcase of the “liberal” welfare state. It has huge populations of both government employees and welfare parasites; one of the most generous welfare systems of any state; its “public” schools have long been destroyed by belligerent teachers’ unions; is a very high-tax state; routinely wages political war on whatever is left of real capitalism — its politicians proudly boast that the regulation of business is more onerous than any other state, and usually exceeds even federal regulatory dictates; and coddles criminals, endlessly repeating the “liberal” mantra that criminals are not responsible for the crimes they commit, “society” is.

And of course the “war on drugs” rages in inner-city Baltimore as much as anywhere, complete with ever-increasing police brutality with an increasingly militarized and federalized police force.

As in many other cities, in Baltimore the black family has been all-but-destroyed by the welfare state (See Losing Ground by Charles Murray for an explanation of how welfare eliminated the stigma that was once attached to abandoning one’s children). The Baltimore Sun reports that, for decades, at least 80% of all black children are born without a father being a part of their life, with white families catching up rapidly. This has created several Lord-of-the-Flies generations.

The rotten “public” schools in Baltimore city have destroyed the employment opportunities of tens of thousands of these children, while the war on drugs, which has caused skyrocketing drug prices and profits, lures them into lives of crime (and death by crime). All of this is a recipe for the mindless destruction of small businesses that was on display in yesterday’s riots and looting.

With Al Sharpton reportedly headed to Baltimore, things are bound to get worse before they get better. No sane business person would ever invest in these neighborhoods. Once this is realized in a few years, the absence of drug stores, grocery stores, etc. will of course be blamed on the racism of white capitalists. “Paradise” will at last have been realized.

Progress?

Actually it's called Opportunity.

This is not black vs white. It's government vs citizens, money against poverty. Anyone who didn't see this #### coming is an idiot. No amount of spin can cover up a system that is bought and paid for by the rich. We have two justice systems, therefore no actual justice. We have two sets of laws and they don't apply equally. Combine that with a population with literally nothing to lose, this is what you get. Don't like the welfare state? Well, it's your dollars that keep this from being your neighborhood.

• Like 1

Guest General Tso

Progress?

“Liberal Paradise” Up in Flames

Thomas DiLorenzo

Baltimore Sun columnist Thomas Schaller, a political science professor at the University of Maryland-Baltimore County, cheerfully heralded the state of Maryland as a “liberal paradise”in 2013.

Maryland is indeed by far the most left-wing state in America, a veritable showcase of the “liberal” welfare state. It has huge populations of both government employees and welfare parasites; one of the most generous welfare systems of any state; its “public” schools have long been destroyed by belligerent teachers’ unions; is a very high-tax state; routinely wages political war on whatever is left of real capitalism — its politicians proudly boast that the regulation of business is more onerous than any other state, and usually exceeds even federal regulatory dictates; and coddles criminals, endlessly repeating the “liberal” mantra that criminals are not responsible for the crimes they commit, “society” is.

And of course the “war on drugs” rages in inner-city Baltimore as much as anywhere, complete with ever-increasing police brutality with an increasingly militarized and federalized police force.

As in many other cities, in Baltimore the black family has been all-but-destroyed by the welfare state (See Losing Ground by Charles Murray for an explanation of how welfare eliminated the stigma that was once attached to abandoning one’s children). The Baltimore Sun reports that, for decades, at least 80% of all black children are born without a father being a part of their life, with white families catching up rapidly. This has created several Lord-of-the-Flies generations.

The rotten “public” schools in Baltimore city have destroyed the employment opportunities of tens of thousands of these children, while the war on drugs, which has caused skyrocketing drug prices and profits, lures them into lives of crime (and death by crime). All of this is a recipe for the mindless destruction of small businesses that was on display in yesterday’s riots and looting.

With Al Sharpton reportedly headed to Baltimore, things are bound to get worse before they get better. No sane business person would ever invest in these neighborhoods. Once this is realized in a few years, the absence of drug stores, grocery stores, etc. will of course be blamed on the racism of white capitalists. “Paradise” will at last have been realized.

Wow. That about says it all.

Progress?

Liberal Paradise Up in Flames

Thomas DiLorenzo

Baltimore Sun columnist Thomas Schaller, a political science professor at the University of Maryland-Baltimore County, cheerfully heralded the state of Maryland as a liberal paradisein 2013.

Maryland is indeed by far the most left-wing state in America, a veritable showcase of the liberal welfare state. It has huge populations of both government employees and welfare parasites; one of the most generous welfare systems of any state; its public schools have long been destroyed by belligerent teachers unions; is a very high-tax state; routinely wages political war on whatever is left of real capitalism its politicians proudly boast that the regulation of business is more onerous than any other state, and usually exceeds even federal regulatory dictates; and coddles criminals, endlessly repeating the liberal mantra that criminals are not responsible for the crimes they commit, society is.

And of course the war on drugs rages in inner-city Baltimore as much as anywhere, complete with ever-increasing police brutality with an increasingly militarized and federalized police force.

As in many other cities, in Baltimore the black family has been all-but-destroyed by the welfare state (See Losing Ground by Charles Murray for an explanation of how welfare eliminated the stigma that was once attached to abandoning ones children). The Baltimore Sun reports that, for decades, at least 80% of all black children are born without a father being a part of their life, with white families catching up rapidly. This has created several Lord-of-the-Flies generations.

The rotten public schools in Baltimore city have destroyed the employment opportunities of tens of thousands of these children, while the war on drugs, which has caused skyrocketing drug prices and profits, lures them into lives of crime (and death by crime). All of this is a recipe for the mindless destruction of small businesses that was on display in yesterdays riots and looting.

With Al Sharpton reportedly headed to Baltimore, things are bound to get worse before they get better. No sane business person would ever invest in these neighborhoods. Once this is realized in a few years, the absence of drug stores, grocery stores, etc. will of course be blamed on the racism of white capitalists. Paradise will at last have been realized.

Utter crap

As a white Irish adult I'm probably not qualified to get at the "root problem", but here goes:

Black community:

Finish high school.

That's a start, although the starting point is way earlier & involves the parents, but I'll leave it at that.

Respectfully Yours,

me

This is not black vs white. It's government vs citizens, money against poverty. Anyone who didn't see this #### coming is an idiot. No amount of spin can cover up a system that is bought and paid for by the rich. We have two justice systems, therefore no actual justice. We have two sets of laws and they don't apply equally. Combine that with a population with literally nothing to lose, this is what you get. Don't like the welfare state? Well, it's your dollars that keep this from being your neighborhood.

This such drivel on many levels.

THIS sheds a whole new light on Freddy Gray's death.

http://tinyurl.com/mycaxlc

BREAKING: Freddie Gray Had Spine Surgery Just One Week Before Arrest

This actually has a link to a screenshot of a court computer showing a lawsuit. - Even if this is true, on the one hand the police have to consider that anyone they touch or arrest could have some condition or injury that makes using force a dangerous proposition (like Eric Garner). - But OTOH crime is a really dangerous proposition, a guy with Gray's record has dealt with drug dealers and some really nasty people who probably use deadly force and brutality as a business model.

This such drivel on many levels.

Affluenza

Guest General Tso

This actually has a link to a screenshot of a court computer showing a lawsuit. - Even if this is true, on the one hand the police have to consider that anyone they touch or arrest could have some condition or injury that makes using force a dangerous proposition (like Eric Garner). - But OTOH crime is a really dangerous proposition, a guy with Gray's record has dealt with drug dealers and some really nasty people who probably use deadly force and brutality as a business model.

I don't know what happened to Freddie Gray, but it sure looked to me like he may have been seriously injured when the police apprehended him. In the video he looks partially paralyzed when they raise him to his feet.

Progress?

Liberal Paradise Up in Flames

Thomas DiLorenzo

Baltimore Sun columnist Thomas Schaller, a political science professor at the University of Maryland-Baltimore County, cheerfully heralded the state of Maryland as a liberal paradisein 2013.

Maryland is indeed by far the most left-wing state in America, a veritable showcase of the liberal welfare state. It has huge populations of both government employees and welfare parasites; one of the most generous welfare systems of any state; its public schools have long been destroyed by belligerent teachers unions; is a very high-tax state; routinely wages political war on whatever is left of real capitalism its politicians proudly boast that the regulation of business is more onerous than any other state, and usually exceeds even federal regulatory dictates; and coddles criminals, endlessly repeating the liberal mantra that criminals are not responsible for the crimes they commit, society is.

And of course the war on drugs rages in inner-city Baltimore as much as anywhere, complete with ever-increasing police brutality with an increasingly militarized and federalized police force.

As in many other cities, in Baltimore the black family has been all-but-destroyed by the welfare state (See Losing Ground by Charles Murray for an explanation of how welfare eliminated the stigma that was once attached to abandoning ones children). The Baltimore Sun reports that, for decades, at least 80% of all black children are born without a father being a part of their life, with white families catching up rapidly. This has created several Lord-of-the-Flies generations.

The rotten public schools in Baltimore city have destroyed the employment opportunities of tens of thousands of these children, while the war on drugs, which has caused skyrocketing drug prices and profits, lures them into lives of crime (and death by crime). All of this is a recipe for the mindless destruction of small businesses that was on display in yesterdays riots and looting.

With Al Sharpton reportedly headed to Baltimore, things are bound to get worse before they get better. No sane business person would ever invest in these neighborhoods. Once this is realized in a few years, the absence of drug stores, grocery stores, etc. will of course be blamed on the racism of white capitalists. Paradise will at last have been realized.

Utter crap

Care to elaborate? What about it is utter crap?

It would be nice to cut through this and not assign blame. We haven't had these kinds of riots since the late 1960's. We spend so much on infrastructure and ameliorating the effects of capitalism.

What would help is: just change the way things are done. Get a charter school system going, allow for vouchers, tear down the big housing units/projects and replace them with new more spaced out areas with green space, change the traffic patterns (how many cities have been cut up by interstates), get rid of property taxes and sales taxes for any business that opens in certain zones, promote property ownership and gentrification so that neighborhoods become more mixed. And appoint a Police Monitor.

I'm just saying change the way things are done. I don't think the competing dogmas of "look at these ungrateful thugs on welfare!" and "look at these superficial selfish rich getting what they deserve!" are really effective. Try something new.

Holy crap...that can't possibly be true...can it?

How does no one he knows not say anything before the town got burned?

Holy crap...that can't possibly be true...can it?

How does no one he knows not say anything before the town got burned?

I think the only thing that gets me about this is if they could get a screenshot of the court computer they might as well get a scanned copy of the pleading or whatever shows he had a spine injury.

But reporters in Baltimore knew about this different lawsuit that was settled in 2010:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-freddie-gray-lead-paint-20150423-story.html#page=1

So while they're looking up court records, why not look up this one and report on it?

@jack White I just think the bias came through immediately. Didn't seem very thought out. But after reading it again I don't really disagree, just not written well.

@Tdoss all good ideas. There are simple solutions. Independent investigators into police misconduct. Training to de escalate situations. Higher salaries. Target higher IQs. But we have to be honest about what this country is, what our justice system is, and what our government is. A ####### push button system for the super rich.

One of the most divisive topics on this board is where are good versus bad places to live. I think we've finally found some common ground at least on Baltimore.

Pretty crazy if it's actually him.

I imagine we'll know soon.

If Freddie Gray were around to see these riots, odds on him being one of the first guys in through the windows at the CVS?

Guest General Tso
It's incompetence of the highest order if this turns out to be real. No way it's possible.

It's incompetence of the highest order if this turns out to be real. No way it's possible.

There's definitely a lawsuit with his name on it there, what's really in it or whether that's a different Freddie Gray remains to be seen.

Guest General Tso

Leland :thumbup: is on the job again tonight

Awesome. Is he still using his lapel mic to interview people?