Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Gary Coal Man

Baltimore: The Next Ferguson?

Does anyone know exactly what the mayor said? A commentator on CNN was very angry about it, called it completely irresponsible. But I missed what was said.

"While we tried to make sure that they were protected from the cars and the other things that were going on, we also gave those who wished to destroy space to do that as well. And we work very hard to keep that balance and to put ourselves in the best position to deescalate, and thats what you saw." -- Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake

People were upset about this phrase, "we also gave those who wished to destroy space to do that as well."

Upset? I don't know anything about her and I'm ####### outraged. A public official allowing for violence?

People get the representation they deserve. Of course they'd elect an idiot in that #### hole.

What would you do if you were there? (Assuming you are a good person and not a thug.)

Would you hide with your family at home and wait for it to be over?

Or would you go out and try to actively stop it and calm people down?

Lee Harvey Oswald.

How much you want to bet these kind of riots become more and more common? If there aren't going to be any consequences, lol.

Terrible precedent to set.

Edited by Eminence

BLAKE: I've made it very clear that I, um, work with the police and instructed them to do everything that they could to make sure that the protesters were able to exercise their, uh, right to free speech. It's a very delicate balancing act because while we, uh, try to make that they were protected from the cars and the other, y'know, things that were going on. We also gave those who wished to destroy, space to do that as well.

That's.... completely irresponsible. I don't think I've ever heard an American public official say anything like that. I can't quite believe she would say that. That's incredibly shocking.

Obviously what she meant is that it was a balance, and that UNFORTUNATELY by allowing space for the protestors to take to the streets, that also created an opportunity that vandals and criminals exploited.

Do you honestly believe she was saying that the City intentionally provided a space where criminals would be free to break the law and escape punishment?

Now the police chief just said on CNN that they're doing their job by "allowing the looting to go on."

WTF is going on with these people???

Look at it this way. If you let CVS and a couple other buildings burn and the protests end are you better off or worse off than if you go in guns blazing and half the city burns?

Sure sounds bad though and I'm not sure I buy that's the way it plays out.

Even if that makes practical sense on some level, we (society) can't allow that to happen. The police have to take a stand, no matter what.

How much you want to bet these kind of riots become more and more common? If there aren't going to be any consequences, lol.

Terrible precedent to set.

Is it actually a precedent, though? Someone upthread said Oakland does this, too.

ETA found it. What is below referring to?

They do that in Oakland as well. They don't deem to in SF though. SF has become more gentrified though so maybe that has something to do with it.

Sucks for small business owners.

Edited by VandyMan

BLAKE: I've made it very clear that I, um, work with the police and instructed them to do everything that they could to make sure that the protesters were able to exercise their, uh, right to free speech. It's a very delicate balancing act because while we, uh, try to make that they were protected from the cars and the other, y'know, things that were going on. We also gave those who wished to destroy, space to do that as well.

That's.... completely irresponsible. I don't think I've ever heard an American public official say anything like that. I can't quite believe she would say that. That's incredibly shocking.

Obviously what she meant is that it was a balance, and that UNFORTUNATELY by allowing space for the protestors to take to the streets, that also created an opportunity that vandals and criminals exploited.

Do you honestly believe she was saying that the City intentionally provided a space where criminals would be free to break the law and escape punishment?

I have no clue what she meant. It sounds much worse than you make it out. And based on what the police chief just said, it sure sounds like they're letting these thugs loot without consequence.

She said destroy. She didn't say protest.

Serious question, I always wondered.

What percentage of people who participate in protests OR riots in these types of situations are there because

A. they feel VERY passionately about what they are protesting for

B. gives them something to do or be a part of, even if they aren't all that passionate about the issues involved. This can include everyone else: from looters to peaceful protestors.

I remember protests in college when war was declared in Iraq, when someone on the student paper wrote something a little bit provocative. Seemed like most of the people there, were protesting because it's college and there's not much else to do other than get behind something.

BTW - I don't have my own opinion - I'm just curious what the general thought is on these types of deals.

What time is dusk there?

What time do you think it might be? 8? 10? 2?
  • Like 1

What would you do if you were there? (Assuming you are a good person and not a thug.)

Uh if you have family you definitely stay home with them. And if you don't have family you stay home too.

I think the toughest thing is people with businesses they want to protect, and maybe those who are separated from their families but they want to get to them to protect them.

Just saw a video of cops throwing bricks back at protesters.

Nope, that was Kurt Cameron taking revenge for the reviews on his Christmas movie.

Theres a dude walking around with a whiffle ball bat...the fat red one.

What could you possibly do to try to actively stop it?

BREAKING: Police deploying resources to stop rioting

Its about to get turned up a notch....

Oh man, please does someone have a picture of this?

Another Whiffle bat! Both are red, no one is weilding the skinny yellow ones.

Won't be long before some idiot fires the first shot. The only question will be, which side.

She said destroy. She didn't say protest.

They should probably set up some alcohol refreshment stations as well. Thinks will be more rough at first but once they start passing-out things will settle down.

Right now, if you watch CNN, it looks like 20 guys all contained on one block throwing the occasional rock :shrug:

Seems like they're blowing this thing way out of proportion (or hoping something bigger happens so they can cover it). It looks no more dangerous than a block party here in Philly.

• Like 1

That's pretty much what she's done here.

Oh man, please does someone have a picture of this?

http://i.imgur.com/pstC2aF.jpg

Edited by Wingnut
  • Like 1

Right now, if you watch CNN, it looks like 20 guys all contained on one block throwing the occasional rock :shrug:

Seems like they're blowing this thing way out of proportion (or hoping something bigger happens so they can cover it). It looks no more dangerous than a block party here in Philly.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Every single judge, DA, and IA unit that turned a blind eye to police brutality is partially responsible for this mess. Of course, the people truly responsible are the ones throwing bricks, which apparently includes both rioters and police.

You don't want to come in second in an arms race.

I don't know, those skinny yellow ones are much more solid. Red ones tend to bend easier.

Glad this type of garbage would never take place near me. Bunch of idiots

Every single judge, DA, and IA unit that turned a blind eye to police brutality is partially responsible for this mess. Of course, the people truly responsible are the ones throwing bricks, which apparently includes both rioters and police.

Normally I would agree with these sentiments, at least for the purposes of further discussion, but they seem very much out of place at the immediate moment. Right now any reasonable person watching this should be on the side of law enforcement to restore order here and arrest these thugs. We can sort out the bigger issues later on.

You don't want to come in second in an arms race.

I don't know, those skinny yellow ones are much more solid. Red ones tend to bend easier.
If someone threw a brick at you, which would you rather have to whack it down with? Give me red in that situation. Hand to hand combat, the yellow stings a bit more...man...tough call.

Actually it's usually the local US Attorney who prosecutes such things, so please call the former US Attorney General Eric Holder who has overseen such things since 2009. TIA.

I have no clue what she meant. It sounds much worse than you make it out. And based on what the police chief just said, it sure sounds like they're letting these thugs loot without consequence.

This was about what happened Saturday, not a plan for tonight.

The Baltimore Sun, April 27, 2015

Al Sharpton to visit city, plan march to Washington over Gray's death

The Rev. Al Sharpton, said Monday he plans to visit Baltimore this week to help push police for answers in the death of Freddie Gray. The New York-based civil rights activist also wants to plan a two-day march in May from Baltimore to Washington, expressing frustration in the lack of answers into Gray's death.

Send in the National Guard, order a curfew, arrest anyone who is not off the streets by nightfall. Do it now governor.

Leadership is needed. Is this O'Malley or someone else?

His Republican successor, Larry Hogan

Going to be very dicey for a white Governor to come in and start bossing around the African-American mayor and Chief of Police

Ack, ok I can see your point. - Well then it would seem race has been taken out of the equation as motivation for police brutality and the failure of political leadership.

Again what are the protestors asking for that isn't being done already?

Stop killing people? I mean it seems to be something that cops just literally can't tear themselves away from. It's like they are addicted.

Send in the National Guard, order a curfew, arrest anyone who is not off the streets by nightfall. Do it now governor.

Going to be very dicey for a white Governor to come in and start bossing around the African-American mayor and Chief of Police

Ack, ok I can see your point. - Well then it would seem race has been taken out of the equation as motivation for police brutality and the failure of political leadership.

Stop killing people? I mean it seems to be something that cops just literally can't tear themselves away from. It's like they are addicted.

In Baltimore? How many police killings have there been this year (in Baltimore)?

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

Yeah, every day they all go out with one thought in mind...who can I kill today, for no particular reason?