Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Gary Coal Man

Baltimore: The Next Ferguson?

It's hard for me to see anything that the city has done wrong here (police tactics aside).

I asked this before, what are the protestors calling for that is different from what is being done already?

The protesters are home. These thugs and opportunists are not the protesters.

There are more ####### cops near Camden Yards than anywhere near the looting from the looks of CNN.

Good to know that Baltimore have their priorities in check :wall:

Edited by hammerva

It's hard for me to see anything that the city has done wrong here (police tactics aside).

I asked this before, what are the protestors calling for that is different from what is being done already?

This needs to be pointed out often, especially since Wolf Blitzer can't differentiate between them.

The Baltimore Sun, April 27, 2015

Al Sharpton to visit city, plan march to Washington over Gray's death

The Rev. Al Sharpton, said Monday he plans to visit Baltimore this week to help push police for answers in the death of Freddie Gray. The New York-based civil rights activist also wants to plan a two-day march in May from Baltimore to Washington, expressing frustration in the lack of answers into Gray's death.

This is the guy the President brings into the White House to advise him.

Sharpton is $4 million in debt to the IRS, he appears on cable news tv with his own show, goes to gin up "protests," makes money off of that with his National Action Network, and then he goes on tv to "report" on the discord brewing, which he helps make happen.

Then he's invited to the WH to advise the president.

Wow.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

Can't imagine the baseball game will be played tonight.

Postponed per the Orioles twitter feed

Simple question, simple answer. I'm sure there are other things. But one thing that has become crystal clear to me in the past year is that some cops really do believe that if you don't do exactly what they say (and even when you do do exactly what they say) they have a right to kill you. Whether or not a crime has even been committed, much less by you, has zero relevance in their minds.

This can't be echoed enough.

Rioters and looters are not the protestors they are opportunists and escalators. Its unfair to everyone, especially the protestors that political action is nearly ####### impossible without some animals attacking themselves and others for scraps.

Edited by Run It Up

Simple question, simple answer. I'm sure there are other things. But one thing that has become crystal clear to me in the past year is that some cops really do believe that if you don't do exactly what they say (and even when you do do exactly what they say) they have a right to kill you. Whether or not a crime has even been committed, much less by you, has zero relevance in their minds.

Who asked you that question?

Game just got cancelled.

Plus this:

Cafe has been destroyed. Deli. Is next. Thanks baltimore

Makes me very sad and also surprised. Hadn't seen any reports that looters had gotten that far south and east.

Can't believe what is happening.

You know, Baltimore, I always stick up for you. They say oh, Baltimore that #### hole - and they say that a lot. I say oh, no you just don't know Baltimore. I mean when they call you a ghetto, I say Baltimore's not a ghetto. Well, you know something maybe they know you pretty good. Maybe I'm just starting to find out.

I think I was thinking of the comments by Shabbazz yesterday, which leads to anger and blame plus add in more anger... I fully support free speech and protests and reform, but this seems to be following a really unconstructive (destructive) patterns with no aim but anger...

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

There are bad cops and they should be dealt with, including those in this case if it's proven they caused this man's death. However I have no sympathy for the looters and people trying to profit over this. Literally this is just an excuse to get out there and steal and loot. Too bad there aren't more store owners with shotguns standing there to blow a few of these clowns away.

Freddie Gray's lawyer has decided to blame a lack of education and "boredom" as reasons why all of these high schoolers and college kids are rioting. Yeah that will help

Are you on drugs?

Problem is every PD is regulated within each city and it has to be fixed by that city.

What is Baltimore's record?

Why does the reporter have a mic AND a phone?

because when you put the mic up to your ear, you don't hear anything.

The Rev. Al Sharpton, said Monday he plans to visit Baltimore this week to help push police for answers in the death of Freddie Gray. The New York-based civil rights activist also wants to plan a two-day march in May from Baltimore to Washington, expressing frustration in the lack of answers into Gray's death.

Sharpton is $4 million in debt to the IRS, he appears on cable news tv with his own show, goes to gin up "protests," makes money off of that with his National Action Network, and then he goes on tv to "report" on the discord brewing, which he helps make happen.

Wow.

Sadly...what is the President supposed to do? This guy is always propped up as being a so called black leader...if you refuse him you're refusing the black voice (symbolically). You think he wants Kanye to shock Mike Myers again?

Hands are tied here...these are no win situations when race is at the forefront of everything.

Cops go in and shut down this riot (almost impossible without some harm coming)...they're racists who used too much force (you can almost understand the use of the water hoses and dogs back in the day now)...or if they sit back and hope clearer heads will prevail and it'll peter out and they're accused of not caring about black people and their community.

No way I'd be a cop...

Edited by tdoss

Good one.

Good one.

reporter was on the phone talking to Wolf Blitzer.

Good one.

Figured there had to be a reason. I guess his regular earpiece wasn't working.

Wow.

Sadly...what is the President supposed to do? This guy is always propped up as being a so called black leader...if you refuse him you're refusing the black voice (symbolically).

Hands are tied here...there are no win situations when race is at the forefront of everything.

Cops go in and shut down this riot (almost impossible without some harm coming)...almost they're racists who used too much force (you can almost understand the use of the water hoses and dogs back in the day now)...or if the sit back and hope clearer heads will prevail and it'll peter out and they're accused of not caring about black people and their community.

No way I'd be a cop...

I dunno, maybe not invite him to the WH? Maybe ignore his advice and tell people he's a lousy example? Maybe invite black leaders who are constructive and talk about reforms that matter rather than profit off of outrage they themselves help generate?

• Like 1

Good one.

Figured there had to be a reason. I guess his regular earpiece wasn't working.

there was an unfortunate incident with a wiffle bat.

• Like 1

There are people in that neighborhood who needed medicine from that CVS tonight. Old people who will struggle now to find transportation to get it from somewhere else, or perhaps they won't be able to get it at all.

Just disgusting and mindless.

Throwing rocks at firefighters? How many people did Balt firemen kill?

What would you do if you were there? (Assuming you are a good person and not a thug.)

Would you hide with your family at home and wait for it to be over?

Or would you go out and try to actively stop it and calm people down?

The bolded seems bat#### insane.

And cops will see cops being targeted and injured from this and respond with even more quick trigger mentality because our society has fully embraced this thug mentality in our music, tv, movies, video games and attire.

It's cool to be a thug...F*** the Police!

So cops are thinking...every incident is an opportunity to be killed so it's shoot first and go home to your wife and kids alive and not in a box.

It's becoming apparent that this is only going to continue to escalate until both sides of this coin find a way to change this mindset.

Edited by tdoss
  • Like 1

What would you do if you were there? (Assuming you are a good person and not a thug.)

Would you hide with your family at home and wait for it to be over?

Tim's user name is bolded?

But it looks like at least on some small scale this is happening.

Edited by Bottomfeeder Sports

Every single judge, DA, and IA unit that turned a blind eye to police brutality is partially responsible for this mess. Of course, the people truly responsible are the ones throwing bricks, which apparently includes both rioters and police.

Normally I would agree with these sentiments, at least for the purposes of further discussion, but they seem very much out of place at the immediate moment. Right now any reasonable person watching this should be on the side of law enforcement to restore order here and arrest these thugs. We can sort out the bigger issues later on.

Considering your own post re: 50 years and 23 years, apparently we can't.

I hope he gets hit with a stray bullet.
  • Like 2

Wow.

Sadly...what is the President supposed to do? This guy is always propped up as being a so called black leader...if you refuse him you're refusing the black voice (symbolically).

Hands are tied here...there are no win situations when race is at the forefront of everything.

Cops go in and shut down this riot (almost impossible without some harm coming)...almost they're racists who used too much force (you can almost understand the use of the water hoses and dogs back in the day now)...or if the sit back and hope clearer heads will prevail and it'll peter out and they're accused of not caring about black people and their community.

No way I'd be a cop...

I dunno, maybe not invite him to the WH? Maybe ignore his advice and tell people he's a lousy example? Maybe invite black leaders who are constructive and talk about reforms that matter rather than profit off of outrage they themselves help generate?

I agree...but who has the black community embraced as their go-to guy for these incidents? Sharpton...you refuse him and you refuse the black community.

Quick...without looking any up...throw out some other names of reasonable black leaders that Obama should be inviting to talk about this issue?

I don't care for Obama...but I can't blame him for Sharpton being the go to guy.

Edited by tdoss

David Simon:

First things first.

Yes, there is a lot to be argued, debated, addressed. And this moment, as inevitable as it has sometimes seemed, can still, in the end, prove transformational, if not redemptive for our city. Changes are necessary and voices need to be heard. All of that is true and all of that is still possible, despite what is now loose in the streets.

But now — in this moment — the anger and the selfishness and the brutality of those claiming the right to violence in Freddie Gray’s name needs to cease. There was real power and potential in the peaceful protests that spoke in Mr. Gray’s name initially, and there was real unity at his homegoing today. But this, now, in the streets, is an affront to that man’s memory and a dimunition of the absolute moral lesson that underlies his unnecessary death.

If you can’t seek redress and demand reform without a brick in your hand, you risk losing this moment for all of us in Baltimore. Turn around. Go home. Please.

Guest General Tso

I was worried about this. The cops should have seen this coming and been better prepared. Why do we always call in the National Guard after the trouble has started? This is going to be very bad I'm afraid.

David Simon:

First things first.

Yes, there is a lot to be argued, debated, addressed. And this moment, as inevitable as it has sometimes seemed, can still, in the end, prove transformational, if not redemptive for our city. Changes are necessary and voices need to be heard. All of that is true and all of that is still possible, despite what is now loose in the streets.

But now in this moment the anger and the selfishness and the brutality of those claiming the right to violence in Freddie Grays name needs to cease. There was real power and potential in the peaceful protests that spoke in Mr. Grays name initially, and there was real unity at his homegoing today. But this, now, in the streets, is an affront to that mans memory and a dimunition of the absolute moral lesson that underlies his unnecessary death.

If you cant seek redress and demand reform without a brick in your hand, you risk losing this moment for all of us in Baltimore. Turn around. Go home. Please.

Very well worded plea for calm reform.