What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Tyrod Taylor, NYJ (2 Viewers)

Fireinside

Footballguy
Taylor saw roughly equal reps to Matt Cassel and EJ Manuel on the first day of voluntary veteran minicamp, BuffaloBills.com reports. Said coach Rex Ryan, "Tyrod made some huge plays today. He throws a deep ball extremely well. You put him on the move he's a dangerous weapon out there."

Analysis: Either Cassel or Manuel would be favored to start the season, but Ryan has come in saying everyone has a fresh slate, so Taylor looks like he'll at least get a fair shot. He does have a different skill set than the other two guys, though he'd probably need to out-do both of them by a decent margin to become the starter. That said, Ryan seemed to group him as one of three options he's at least considering for the job, while he spoke of Jeff Tuel - who saw less reps than the other three - in far less glowing terms.
I was big fan of this kid coming out of college, but he was behind Flacco three years.

Now, he is in a place where he have to compete E J Manuel and Matt Cassel, that's a competition that this kid can win.

Tyrod developed nicely as a passer in college and now he has three years under his belt with good coaching.

Rex is known for making his own decisions, so it's not totally impossible this kid will be the Russell Wilson of Bills.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000479075/article/tyrod-taylor-has-shot-at-buffalo-bills-qb-job

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno.....maybe he turned some huge corner or something. But he was awful in Baltimore. The first dirt clods over the line of scrimmage ducked every time he went back to pass.

Im a fan of TT. Drafted him his rookie year and kept him on taxi squad for a few years and finally cut bait. I remember when he was drafted, Ray Ray said something to the effect of TT being the MVP of training camp and some other glowing words. I always thought he looked good in preseason action. I definitely think he has a shot. Will look forward to following this through TC.

(RotoWire)

Taylor continues to get reps with the first unit during offseason work, BuffaloBills.com reports. Said coach Rex Ryan, "Three guys for sure will be getting shots with the ones. We've been doing it each day. Let's say the first offense is running out there and it's Matt Cassel the first day, then it's EJ [Manuel], then it's Tyrod. All three are getting opportunities to lead and to be with that first group...Tyrod is getting as many shots with the ones as the other two."Analysis: Taylor still seems like the clear No. 3 in this race, but stranger things have happened than a new coach latching on to an outside candidate he gets hooked on. Manuel and Cassel aren't exactly the next coming of the Manning brothers, so the situation is at least worth keeping an eye on. That said, the Bills seem like a strong enough team elsewhere that they'll probably go with a more obviously choice or Manuel or Cassel.

Slightly off topic but since we're talking about long shot QBs, I've always been intrigued by Kellen Moore of the Lions. Moore has a much longer shot at FF relevance due to his situation, obviously but he has tremendous accuracy. The article below hints at him having finally getting a legitimate shot to compete for the backup job to Stafford. His strength is great accuracy but he's undersized and doesn't have a great arm.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2015/05/kellen_moore_comfortable_with.html

Rotoworld:

Bills GM Doug Whaley confirmed QB Tyrod Taylor will get first-team reps during offseason practices.

"The way they’re structuring practices everyone is getting a run with the ones," said GM Doug Whaley. "So it’s a fair shake. In this system that we’re trying to figure out who is going to be the number one. It’s all about competition. That’s why everybody involved is excited about it." Matt Cassel is the favorite to win the starting job with E.J. Manuel his most likely competition, but it is telling Buffalo is giving reps to a career backup like Taylor. With the quarterback position in disarray, the Bills should lean heavily on LeSean McCoy and the running game.

Related: E.J. Manuel, Matt Cassel

Source: buffalobills.com
May 23 - 9:47 AM

I wonder how many times Rex has thought, every time he looked up at the standings at his genius buddy Belichick, "Did he know that 6th round QB Brady was going to be so good, or did he just get lucky? And how come my 1st rounder Sanchez (who we traded up to snag), and then my 2nd rounder Geno Smith, ended up being a lot of the reason I got canned?"

Enter Tyrod, Rex's own 6th rouner.

Rotoworld:

The Rochester Democrat and Chronicle reports "several people within the organization" believe QB Tyrod Taylor has a chance to be the Week 1 starter.

The Bills have been splitting reps between Taylor, E.J. Manuel, and Matt Cassel at OTAs. A favorite of Rex Ryan, Taylor has flashed starting-caliber tools in limited preseason action, but his accuracy issues (54.3 career completion-percentage) are well documented. The Bills like Taylor’s ability to run OC Greg Roman’s scheme, where Colin Kaepernick finished behind only Russell Wilson in rushing yards (639) and attempts (104) last year.

Rotoworld:

The Buffalo News believes it's "really possible" the Bills name Tyrod Taylor their starting quarterback.

Taylor, Matt Cassel and E.J. Manuel split reps evenly throughout the offseason program, with Cassel performing the poorest. It's not that far-fetched to suggest Taylor could beat out Manuel and his 58.6 career completion percentage. Rex Ryan appears most enthusiastic about Taylor, the quarterback he "hand picked." Taylor has never started an NFL game, spending the last four years as Joe Flacco's backup.

Source: Buffalo News
Jun 30 - 9:44 AM

If you've watched any Baltimore preseason or even VT games a few years ago you'd know this guy has starter potential. He's a leader. He's accurate. He moves well in and out of the pocket. Being behind flacco is the only reason he hasn't been a starter yet. No way Manuel or cassel are better than him.

If you've watched any Baltimore preseason or even VT games a few years ago you'd know this guy has starter potential. He's a leader. He's accurate. He moves well in and out of the pocket. Being behind flacco is the only reason he hasn't been a starter yet. No way Manuel or cassel are better than him.
:thumbup:

Tyrod may well get his chance this year,

Tyrod may well get his chance this year if he shows well in preseason, but to say he's been accurate up to now is incorrect.

At VaTech he was a career 57.2% passer and 59.7% as a senior -- not particularly good college percentages. He was a 6th round pick for a reason.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tyrod-taylor-1.html

So far in very limited regular season action as a pro he's been below average: 19-35 (54.3%) with 0 TD and 2 INT.

http://www.nfl.com/player/tyrodtaylor/2495240/profile

In preseason last year he was better: 35-55 (63.6%) with 3 TD and 2 INT, but that is just decent.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/boxscore/NFL_20140807_SF@BAL

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/boxscore/NFL_20140816_BAL@DAL

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/boxscore/NFL_20140823_WAS@BAL

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/boxscore/NFL_20140828_BAL@NO

There's nothing so far that suggests he'll be an accurate 65+% passer. Leadership, his legs, the weak competition, and the fact that HC Ryan seems to be enamored with him are what give him a chance.

Actually, he's not accurate, that is a weakness. His career NFL completion percentage is 54.3%, and his career completion percentage in college was 57.2%. Coming out of college, his weaknesses were (in no particular order) accuracy, footwork, ability to read defenses, and height.

He does move well and was a good leader in college. It is possible he has improved on some of those deficiencies in his NFL career.

But I suspect the reason he is getting a chance in Buffalo has as much or more to do with Buffalo's lack of quality alternatives than due to Taylor himself. I can just see Rex plotting for Buffalo to follow the Seattle model, with Taylor as his Russell Wilson. I don't think Taylor is in Wilson's area code, but he could still start over Manuel and Cassell.

Tyrod may well get his chance this year,

Tyrod may well get his chance this year if he shows well in preseason, but to say he's been accurate up to now is incorrect.

At VaTech he was a career 57.2% passer and 59.7% as a senior -- not particularly good college percentages. He was a 6th round pick for a reason.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tyrod-taylor-1.html

So far in very limited regular season action as a pro he's been below average: 19-35 (54.3%) with 0 TD and 2 INT.

http://www.nfl.com/player/tyrodtaylor/2495240/profile

In preseason last year he was better: 35-55 (63.6%) with 3 TD and 2 INT, but that is just decent.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/boxscore/NFL_20140807_SF@BAL

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/boxscore/NFL_20140816_BAL@DAL

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/boxscore/NFL_20140823_WAS@BAL

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/boxscore/NFL_20140828_BAL@NO

There's nothing so far that suggests he'll be an accurate 65+% passer. Leadership, his legs, the weak competition, and the fact that HC Ryan seems to be enamored with him are what give him a chance.
:hifive:

I posted my response before I read yours.

Rotoworld:

Tyrod Taylor - QB - Bills

ESPN's Mike Rodak considers Tyrod Taylor a lock or near lock for the final roster.

Matt Cassel was so bad during offseason workouts that he enters camp with ground to make up on Taylor and E.J. Manuel. In fact, both Rodak and the Buffalo News are giving Taylor a serious shot to win the Week 1 starting job. That would be an interesting deep-league fantasy development as Taylor would project for plenty of running yards. In 15 limited preseason outings as a Raven, he rushed 58 times for 453 yards (7.81 YPC) with two touchdowns. Taylor has never started an NFL game.

Related: Matt Cassel

Source: ESPN.com

Jul 27 - 8:59 AM

Rotoworld:

According to the Buffalo News, Tyrod Taylor is outplaying E.J. Manuel early in Bills camp.

Manuel went 0-for-5 during a stretch of team drills in Saturday's practice, so it's not exactly stiff competition. Matt Cassel has been as up and down as he was during minicamp and OTAs. While we're not yet betting on Taylor winning the Bills' starting job, it's a much more realistic possibility than was originally imagined. Either way, this passing game is going to be quite poor.

Source: Buffalo News

Aug 1 - 8:06 PM

Sounds like he has a real shot. Rex has no ties to Manuel and Cassel doesn't even sound like competition.

Rotoworld:

Tyrod Taylor was reportedly "the best quarterback on the field every single day" this week at Bills camp.

While Matt Cassel has continued to struggle, E.J. Manuel has run hot and cold, and Taylor has flashed big-play ability with both his arm and legs. WKBW's Joe Buscaglia considers the "two leading candidates" for Buffalo's QB opening to be Cassel and Taylor. Manuel isn't a serious candidate for the Week 1 nod.

Source: WKBW Buffalo

Aug 7 - 3:35 PM

Rotoworld:

Tyrod Taylor was reportedly "the best quarterback on the field every single day" this week at Bills camp.

While Matt Cassel has continued to struggle, E.J. Manuel has run hot and cold, and Taylor has flashed big-play ability with both his arm and legs. WKBW's Joe Buscaglia considers the "two leading candidates" for Buffalo's QB opening to be Cassel and Taylor. Manuel isn't a serious candidate for the Week 1 nod.

Source: WKBW Buffalo

Aug 7 - 3:35 PM
Hell yes

@mikerodak: Tyrod Taylor thru 2 drives (both TDs): 3-of-5 for 47 yards; 5 carries for 42 yards. Leads Bills in rushing.
And one of those drops was a fantastic deep pass to Goodwn that hit Goodwin right n the hands. Should have been a long completion. Not on Tyrod at all.

I think he has a legit chance to win the starting job. I'd say Cassel has about a 55% chance, Taylor 40% and Manuel 5%.

Rooting for underdog. Will finally get a chance to see him in action next week. From everything I've read it seems like he should be even with Cassel at worst, or even ahead of him.

Rotoworld:

Tyrod Taylor emerged from the Bills' preseason opener taking first-team reps at Sunday's practice.

Taylor was Buffalo's most-impressive quarterback in Friday night's exhibition, completing 5-of-8 attempts for 49 yards while showing dynamic running ability with 47 yards on six rushes. Taylor also should've had a 20-yard touchdown pass to Deonte Thompson, but the roster-bubble wideout dropped the pass. Taylor played with the twos in that game. He'll start the next one.

Aug 16 - 12:12 PM

Rotoworld:

Tyrod Taylor emerged from the Bills' preseason opener taking first-team reps at Sunday's practice.

Taylor was Buffalo's most-impressive quarterback in Friday night's exhibition, completing 5-of-8 attempts for 49 yards while showing dynamic running ability with 47 yards on six rushes. Taylor also should've had a 20-yard touchdown pass to Deonte Thompson, but the roster-bubble wideout dropped the pass. Taylor played with the twos in that game. He'll start the next one.

Aug 16 - 12:12 PM
He may start the season but he will finish it on IR.

Sounds like Taylor had a great practice today working with the 1s. 60 yard TD to Charles Clay followed up by a 25 yard fade to Sammy Watkins with Ronald Darby in apparently blanket coverage. The term "dropping dimes" was thrown around on Twitter repeatedly from various sources.

Users who are viewing this thread