What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Tyrod Taylor, NYJ (1 Viewer)

Sounds like Taylor had a great practice today working with the 1s. 60 yard TD to Charles Clay followed up by a 25 yard fade to Sammy Watkins with Ronald Darby in apparently blanket coverage. The term "dropping dimes" was thrown around on Twitter repeatedly from various sources.
So much better than "dropping deuces"

I'm intrigued and was looking for any mention of TT from yesterday's joint scrimmage/practice of the Bills/Browns but the only thing I saw was that he got sacked by 339 lb rookie nose tackle Danny Shelton.

------------------------------

Cam Boon @ lilboon 5m 5 minutes ago East Rochester, NY

Danny Shelton just blew a play up, sacking Taylor before his drop back even finished # BillsCamp

​He has great movement in the pocket and speed to burn a D when he takes off but from his college history he isn't accurate but an OC can do different things with a mobile QB :

Asked if Taylor can win the job this week, Whaley said it’ll be “a combination of practices and everything,” though added “It’d be a big step forward for him.”

Taylor has improved as a passer throughout camp, but he’s still shorter than the norm at the position. Many of Taylor’s best throws have come outside the pocket. He didn’t hesitate when asked if he can throw from the pocket with consistency, saying “Yes, yes, I know I can.”

If the pick was Taylor over Cassel, surely offensive coordinator Greg Roman would get creative. The Bills have practiced plenty of read option and, in their dream scenario, a steady diet of McCoy opens up a play action-heavy scheme for Taylor.

Whaley wouldn’t call the playbooks for Cassel and Taylor totally different — saying a strong running game is the basis for both — but admits they’d try to get Taylor outside the pocket a lot more than Cassel. When the Bills signed Taylor this off-season, they absolutely had Russell Wilson on their mind.

“I mean, yeah,” Whaley said. “Yeah. Obviously him and how Greg had Kaepernick, that’s the new-age guy. And it puts the defense in a bind. Because even if you have everything covered, you still have to account for him and his legs.”

Still, there’s a difference between scrambling and scrambling with a purpose. During Monday’s joint practice with Cleveland, Taylor was “sacked” on one scramble. Wilson’s rare sixth sense for the rush helps him create his own passing windows and take off upfield. Last season, he threw for 3,475 yards, ran for 724 and had 26 touchdowns with only seven interceptions.

Whaley calls it a “perfect feel.”

“And you saw a little bit of that with Tyrod,” he said, “His back’s to the guy and he’s able to spin out and everything. So, yeah, we’re excited.”

Martin E@hoser33 27m27 minutes ago

The question is. Are the #Bills going to play it safe and go with Cassel or take a risk go for it with #Tyrod?

NFL.com's Albert Breer reports that a strong performance from Tyrod Taylor in Thursday's preseason game against the Browns could earn him the starting job.

Taylor has been slowly seizing No. 1 status in camp, and the Bills may feel he could benefit from being officially named the starter before next week's regular season dress rehearsal. Breer does add that Matt Cassel has been much better than he was in the spring, and believes coach Rex Ryan has a "complicated" decision to make. E.J. Manuel is not part of that decision.
Related: E.J. Manuel, Matt Cassel

Source: Albert Breer on Twitter
Aug 20 - 3:08 P

My god the Bills are going to be laughable. Maybe if they had a player named Ball Joint it would help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly for this franchise, their D will keep them in some games and help them win games they would have wished they lost. This guys ability to run will also cause overall damage to the team if he ends up a bum. Recent comparisons are Tebow and T. Pryor. 'oh, look how great he is running in that TD'. 'What athleticism!'. All the while other bottomfeeder teams draft franchise QBs next year.

Sadly for this franchise, their D will keep them in some games and help them win games they would have wished they lost. This guys ability to run will also cause overall damage to the team if he ends up a bum. Recent comparisons are Tebow and T. Pryor. 'oh, look how great he is running in that TD'. 'What athleticism!'. All the while other bottomfeeder teams draft franchise QBs next year.
You're right, they should tell Watkins not to even catch balls and let the D rest this year and come back next year with #1 Qb and then win Superbowl :sarcasm:

I think this situation is the same Wilson was in, nobody believed. Selling season before it has even started is not something Bills want to do or what Bills fans want to do!

Tyrod might give this team just what it needs to make it. Rex made it with Butt-fumble and I for one think that Tyrod is certainly a better choice.

Give this kid a chance, better arm than Tebow or Pryor and excellent feet.

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Albert Breer reports that a strong performance from Tyrod Taylor in Thursday's preseason game against the Browns could earn him the starting job.

Taylor has been slowly seizing No. 1 status in camp, and the Bills may feel he could benefit from being officially named the starter before next week's regular season dress rehearsal. Breer does add that Matt Cassel has been much better than he was in the spring, and believes coach Rex Ryan has a "complicated" decision to make. E.J. Manuel is not part of that decision.

Related: Matt Cassel, E.J. Manuel

Source: Albert Breer on Twitter
Aug 20 - 3:08 PM

Rotoworld:

The Bills will be missing their top three receivers and top five running backs for Thursday's preseason game against the Browns.

In other words, Tyrod Taylor will be up against it as he attempts to lock down No. 1 duties. Working in his benefit is the fact that Matt Cassel won't play. The Bills badly want Taylor to establish himself as the No. 1. Each of Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods and Percy Harvin are battling day-to-day type injuries.

Related: Matt Cassel

Source: Tony Grossi on Twitter

I thought he looked great considering he's working with 3rd+ stringers at WR and RB. Stats backup a good performance. Drove them into scoring range twice that ended in a missed FG and a TD pass that bounced off the WRs chest. If I'm BUF, I don't see any benefit in starting Cassel. I think Tyrod is the obvious choice (if I'm Rex). Perhaps Cassel is a tad more reliable as a pure QB but he's not going to win you games where Tyrod can do that, imo.

Tyrod gives you the read option and scrambling yards....Tyrod will be a much better fantasy option over Cassel, but I'm not sure that will translate into winning games in real life.

any fantasy value at all? draftable?
He could be a poor man's Colin Kaepernick...same offensive coordinator that Colin had in SF. It wouldn't surprise me to see him get 20-30 ypg on the ground with an occasional TD. That being said, there are plenty of QB's I take before him. He is on my radar to pick up though if one of my main guys gets injured or is under performing.

(Rotoworld)Tyrod Taylor completed 7-of-10 throws for 65 yards and rushed four times for 41 yards in the Bills' second preseason game Thursday night.Analysis: He started and played the entire first half. Taylor was sharp and efficient, ripping off chunk gains with his legs and flashing plus accuracy on difficult throws. He nearly threw a touchdown pass to WR Deonte Thompson on third-and-nine midway through the second quarter, but Browns S Johnson Bademosi had good coverage to break it up. Taylor certainly didn't hurt himself in Buffalo's quarterback competition tonight, consistently moving the offense despite missing all of the Bills' big-time skill-position players. Expect the Taylor-Matt Cassel battle to extend into the Bills' third preseason game.

Unless he's significantly improved from his time as a Raven, he's far too inaccurate with poor decision making to play QB full time.

Unless he's significantly improved from his time as a Raven, he's far too inaccurate with poor decision making to play QB full time.
Apparently he has significantly improved because he has shown good accuracy and mostly good decision making over the last month.

I was really impressed. He's threw one to the outside hash marks, put it in the exact spot and you could tell his arm had good zip.

He had another play where he stepped up into a destroyed pocket and led his receiver down the right side and, for lack of a stat or measurement tool, he just looked "really good and calm" in doing it.

I'm not here to say he is Aaron Rodgers but he looked better than everything else they have.

It would require everyone being healthy, but imagine trying to coordinate a D against Tyrod, Watkins, Harvin, and McCoy all on the field at the same time.

It would require everyone being healthy, but imagine trying to coordinate a D against Tyrod, Watkins, Harvin, and McCoy all on the field at the same time.
I think that might be their best effect. Similar to how DJAX and Shady used to be able to stress the defense when they would all start rolling out on a play and stretching everything, this crew could cause nightmares. You roll Taylor out in a bootleg in the same direction Shady rolls and you have Watkins and Harvin blasting the other side of the field in a similar effect. There will be lanes Granny could walk through in that.

I think that might be their best effect. Similar to how DJAX and Shady used to be able to stress the defense when they would all start rolling out on a play and stretching everything, this crew could cause nightmares. You roll Taylor out in a bootleg in the same direction Shady rolls and you have Watkins and Harvin blasting the other side of the field in a similar effect. There will be lanes Granny could walk through in that.
Does their coach do it though. I'm not sure he will. He's kinda in a box sometimes.

Does their coach do it though. I'm not sure he will. He's kinda in a box sometimes.
I wonder the same thing but the silver lining I will hold out for is Roman has that experience of knowing what Colin Kaap could do so maybe it at least simmers in their pot for a while and they think on it.

Are you part of the BAL staff that got to see him everyday? I don't know how you can be definitive in the above assessment when he never played.

Are you part of the BAL staff that got to see him everyday? I don't know how you can be definitive in the above assessment when he never played.
Unfortunately I had to sit through his preseason games year after year.

I hope he does well, he was always a good guy on the team and in the community.

Apparently he has significantly improved because he has shown good accuracy and mostly good decision making over the last month.
I'll give him that. He had some great throws in tight windows last night. Still he needs to quit running or he will end up getting hurt. It's ok to scramble and then dart out of bounds. it's not a good idea to run up the middle of the field and take shots. A defender or he other team as a whole is really not going to care about a 15 yard penalty if he can take out the #1 QB and in comes EJ Manuel or Cassel.

LOL - Tyrod lighting it up to Deonte Thompson reminded me of the second half of every Ravens' preseason game of the last 4 years. Don't let it suck you in.

The fact that neither of them is in Baltimore might tell you something about how the team's talent evaluators really felt about them. Not to mention all the fans here from Baltimore - where they back-up QB is usually the most popular guy in town - weighing in negatively.

If the Ravens had liked Tyrod, they certainly could have kept him. But he never developed, which is why they let him go. They brought him in late in the 4th quarter of a December 2013 blowout loss to the Patriots and he was terrible vs. a prevent defense. That's pretty much the only regular season playing time he ever saw.

I will say that his speed is astonishing. Not as elusive as Vick in his heyday, but about as fast. Once he gets to the corner, you can't believe how fast he is.

But his mechanics are terrible which means his accuracy is so frustratingly inconsistent. We saw a lot of Kyle Boller in this town - he's like a faster Kyle Boller. That being said, he was never anything but a great guy and I hope he gives me a lot of crow to eat in this thread.

I'm not buying this, but I feel bad for Bills fans with the management they've had over the last while so I do hope he does give them the spark they need at QB.

If the Ravens had liked Tyrod, they certainly could have kept him.
Not really. He was an UFA and with what they are paying Flacco there is no scenario where they would overpay for a backup QB enough that he wouldnt leave for a shot at starting elsewhere.

Hoping he is on the low end of AVE league QBs....20th would be fine. That is good enough for the Bills to make a run.

LOL - Tyrod lighting it up to Deonte Thompson reminded me of the second half of every Ravens' preseason game of the last 4 years. Don't let it suck you in.

The fact that neither of them is in Baltimore might tell you something about how the team's talent evaluators really felt about them. Not to mention all the fans here from Baltimore - where they back-up QB is usually the most popular guy in town - weighing in negatively.
Only delusional Bills fans view Tyrod as some sort of franchise savior.

The reality of the situation is that he's going up against a journeyman castoff who was worth a 5th round pick (Cassel) and a project QB who has never fully developed (Manuel). Taylor reportedly turned down bigger money from a handful of other teams - Denver, for example - because he wanted a chance at the starting job and this was the place to do it.

I don't really expect it to work out in the long run, but from all accounts he's been arguably the best QB in camp thus far. That's not saying much, but if he's the best QB in camp, he should start. :shrug:

Only delusional Bills fans view Tyrod as some sort of franchise savior.

The reality of the situation is that he's going up against a journeyman castoff who was worth a 5th round pick (Cassel) and a project QB who has never fully developed (Manuel). Taylor reportedly turned down bigger money from a handful of other teams - Denver, for example - because he wanted a chance at the starting job and this was the place to do it.

I don't really expect it to work out in the long run, but from all accounts he's been arguably the best QB in camp thus far. That's not saying much, but if he's the best QB in camp, he should start. :shrug:
Franchise savior? No. Fantasy asset? Absolutely - at least as much as Tebow or KC's Tyler Thigpen.

Not really. He was an UFA and with what they are paying Flacco there is no scenario where they would overpay for a backup QB enough that he wouldnt leave for a shot at starting elsewhere.

Hoping he is on the low end of AVE league QBs....20th would be fine. That is good enough for the Bills to make a run.
Ravens are paying Schaub $2 million this year. Taylor signed a 3-year, $3,350,000 contract with the Bills, including a $400,000 signing bonus, $1,150,000 guaranteed. Though there are significant playing time escalators - still, I think $2 million guaranteed would have kept Taylor in Baltimore.

I don't think it's very realistic to expect Taylor who has 19 passing attempts in his 4-year NFL career to be anywhere close to the top 20. That wouldn't be "fine," that would be a miracle. Don't get too hung up on the order, but here are what you could call the Top 20 NFL QBs:

1. Rodgers

2. Brady

3. Luck

4. P Manning

5. Brees

6. Wilson

7. Ben

8. Ryan

9. Romo

10. Flacco

11. Eli

12. Stafford

13. Newton

14. Rivers

15. Kapernick

16. Tannehill

17. Dalton

18. Palmer

19. Cutler

20. Alex Smith

That doesn't even count Bridgewater, or Carr, or Bradford - or guys like Jameis and Mariota who will have more NFL pass attempts by halftime of Week 1 than Tyrod has had his entire career.

I don't want to belabor the point, and I like Tyrod and I like Rex. But I don't think he's going to be a Top 20 QB this year.

Not really. He was an UFA and with what they are paying Flacco there is no scenario where they would overpay for a backup QB enough that he wouldnt leave for a shot at starting elsewhere.Hoping he is on the low end of AVE league QBs....20th would be fine. That is good enough for the Bills to make a run.
Ravens are paying Schaub $2 million this year. Taylor signed a 3-year, $3,350,000 contract with the Bills, including a $400,000 signing bonus, $1,150,000 guaranteed. Though there are significant playing time escalators - still, I think $2 million guaranteed would have kept Taylor in Baltimore.

I don't think it's very realistic to expect Taylor who has 19 passing attempts in his 4-year NFL career to be anywhere close to the top 20. That wouldn't be "fine," that would be a miracle. Don't get too hung up on the order, but here are what you could call the Top 20 NFL QBs:

1. Rodgers

2. Brady

3. Luck

4. P Manning

5. Brees

6. Wilson

7. Ben

8. Ryan

9. Romo

10. Flacco

11. Eli

12. Stafford

13. Newton

14. Rivers

15. Kapernick

16. Tannehill

17. Dalton

18. Palmer

19. Cutler

20. Alex Smith

That doesn't even count Bridgewater, or Carr, or Bradford - or guys like Jameis and Mariota who will have more NFL pass attempts by halftime of Week 1 than Tyrod has had his entire career.

I don't want to belabor the point, and I like Tyrod and I like Rex. But I don't think he's going to be a Top 20 QB this year.
How many rushing yds/TDs did you figure in?

Yeah he's not a top 20 NFL QB, but much lesser talents have had runs as top 20 (or better) fantasy QBs due to rushing ability: Pryor, Tebow, and Tyler Thigpen.

Looking at Week 1, in 2013 Pryor opened up as the Raiders starters in week 1 against the colts with 217 yards passing, 1 TD/2INT and 112 yards rushing. Taylor could easily approximate those numbers (give him half the rushing yards).

217 1 TD/2int + 56 yards rushing = 16.28 points.

At his $5,000 price tag on Fanduel (1st $5k QB special of the season!), that's a 3x-level return.

EJ Manuel starting the 3rd preseason game this weekend.
Means zero. He's certainly not going to start Week 1. Could be a diversionary tactic, or the BIlls hoping he puts on a good enough show to trade him? ( :lmao: )

Anyone with eyes can see Taylor has the most upside here, while Cassel maybe offers more 'consistency' - if you're looking for a consistently average, backup level QB. There's a much wider range of outcomes for Taylor - both on the positive and negative side - than Cassel.

Agree that Tyrod has shown he's got the most upside of the 3 Bills QB's. Cassel got the chance to start a game with the one's, back before the running back crew got decimated. Then last week Tyrod had an efficient game working with the two's (no starting RB's or WR's) even though technically it was a start. He made some throws and plays with his feet...and at least made a case for himself that he wasn't a liability at QB. A lot of people in the media had favorable reviews. Now this decision to start EJ....head-scratching.

Why doesn't Rex give Tyrod a chance to start with the first team? What continuity can Rex hope to have with Tyrod always working with the 2nd unit? He can't keep playing shell games with his QB's thinking he can outfox the Bills week one opponent (Colts) into game planning for EJ. Rex can't be that obtuse, can he?

Users who are viewing this thread