What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Tyrod Taylor, NYJ (1 Viewer)

Agree that Tyrod has shown he's got the most upside of the 3 Bills QB's. Cassel got the chance to start a game with the one's, back before the running back crew got decimated. Then last week Tyrod had an efficient game working with the two's (no starting RB's or WR's) even though technically it was a start. He made some throws and plays with his feet...and at least made a case for himself that he wasn't a liability at QB. A lot of people in the media had favorable reviews. Now this decision to start EJ....head-scratching.

Why doesn't Rex give Tyrod a chance to start with the first team? What continuity can Rex hope to have with Tyrod always working with the 2nd unit? He can't keep playing shell games with his QB's thinking he can outfox the Bills week one opponent (Colts) into game planning for EJ. Rex can't be that obtuse, can he?
Tyrod getting plenty of 1st team reps in practice........ Technically i guess nobody is getting 1st team reps with the skill position players b/c hardly any of them are practicing. nobody is building chemistry with all the injuries

@SiriusXMNFL: According to our own @viccarucci "There has been nothing at camp that indicates that EJ Manuel is in the competition to be the starting QB"

The Buffalo News' Vic Carucci believes there's been "nothing at camp that indicates" E.J. Manuel is a serious contender for the Bills' starting job.

This has been the consensus all summer long, making it all the more baffling that coach Rex Ryan has decided Manuel will start this weekend's regular season dress rehearsal over Tyrod Taylor and Matt Cassel. The most sensible theory is that Ryan is trying to throw the Colts off before Week 1, but Ryan has to know presumptive starter Taylor needs all the preseason reps with the 1s he can get. Perhaps the Bills believe Manuel could generate trade interest with a decent showing. Whatever the reasoning, it's hard to understand.

Source: SiriusXM NFL Radio on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Tyrod Taylor competed 12-of-13 passes for 122 yards in Buffalo's third preseason game, adding one carry for 20 yards and a touchdown.

Taylor was the No. 3 quarterback through the rotation, but all three QBs played with the first-team offensive line. He showed good accuracy on all of his throws, and was able to go through his progressions from the pocket. Taylor did nothing to lose his lead on the Bills starting job, though E.J. Manuel also had a strong showing. Taylor is 24-of-31 for 266 yards (11.1 YPA), with 108 rushing yards and a touchdown through three preseason games.

Aug 29 - 7:12 PM

Yeah he's not a top 20 NFL QB, but much lesser talents have had runs as top 20 (or better) fantasy QBs due to rushing ability: Pryor, Tebow, and Tyler Thigpen.

Looking at Week 1, in 2013 Pryor opened up as the Raiders starters in week 1 against the colts with 217 yards passing, 1 TD/2INT and 112 yards rushing. Taylor could easily approximate those numbers (give him half the rushing yards).

217 yards, 1 TD/2int + 56 yards rushing = 16.28 points.

At his $5,000 price tag on Fanduel (1st $5k QB special of the season!), that's a 3x-level return.
@Justin3White: Tyrod Taylor could be a sneaky good fantasy option if he wins the job. @pfspot @spotfantasy http://t.co/Vzt73dLEGo

This guy gets it.
Muchas gracias :)

I don't know that I would start up him redraft, but in Fanduel at $5,000 min price, against the Colts defense likely playing catchup, he's my number one play at QB for Week 1. Really hoping he gets the start! (although looking like Rex is going to play coy... wonder how long he can keep this charade up. Is this going to come down to a "game time decision" as to who's announced the starter?

Scooped taylor off the wire and decided not to roll the dice on any of the rookie qbs in the rookie draft. Call me crazy but I'm not looking back, unless of course rex is a total moron and decides to start one of the other guys.

Taylor saw roughly equal reps to Matt Cassel and EJ Manuel on the first day of voluntary veteran minicamp, BuffaloBills.com reports. Said coach Rex Ryan, "Tyrod made some huge plays today. He throws a deep ball extremely well. You put him on the move he's a dangerous weapon out there."Analysis: Either Cassel or Manuel would be favored to start the season, but Ryan has come in saying everyone has a fresh slate, so Taylor looks like he'll at least get a fair shot. He does have a different skill set than the other two guys, though he'd probably need to out-do both of them by a decent margin to become the starter. That said, Ryan seemed to group him as one of three options he's at least considering for the job, while he spoke of Jeff Tuel - who saw less reps than the other three - in far less glowing terms.
I was big fan of this kid coming out of college, but he was behind Flacco three years.

Now, he is in a place where he have to compete E J Manuel and Matt Cassel, that's a competition that this kid can win.

Tyrod developed nicely as a passer in college and now he has three years under his belt with good coaching.

Rex is known for making his own decisions, so it's not totally impossible this kid will be the Russell Wilson of Bills.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000479075/article/tyrod-taylor-has-shot-at-buffalo-bills-qb-job
Great call.

p.s. How can I change the title?
Go back to your original post #1. Below that you should see an option, "edit post" click that.

Then go to full editor. From there edit your titleblock.

Last edited by a moderator:
@JoeBuscaglia: Tyrod Taylor will be making his first #Bills start in style... with a diamond-studded mouthguard according to @TMZ http://t.co/C1gVGGUxM2
I don't mind a little brash swagger, but he damn well better back it up on the field, otherwise the defensive players are gonna be all over him for this ####.
Just so everyone is aware, this story was made up. I know it's shocking that TMZ would make up a story, but apparently they did.

@JoeBuscaglia: Tyrod Taylor will be making his first #Bills start in style... with a diamond-studded mouthguard according to @TMZ http://t.co/C1gVGGUxM2
I don't mind a little brash swagger, but he damn well better back it up on the field, otherwise the defensive players are gonna be all over him for this ####.
Just so everyone is aware, this story was made up. I know it's shocking that TMZ would make up a story, but apparently they did.
Why would they bother making up a story about a player that most casual fans have never heard of?

I don't think TMZ exactly makes things up, they're into celebrity scandal and such but they do get scoops. (not that this a scoop, just that they are reporters).

Why would they bother making up a story about a player that most casual fans have never heard of?
Saying TMZ made up the story is perhaps slightly innaccurate. More like TMZ will run any shady story made up by someone else.ETA: Tyrod, his family, his agent and a teammate have all already denied the story. In fact, Tyrod doesn't even wear a mouthpiece.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it just me or does Tyrod starting make guys like Harvin and Clay, almost undraftable in most leagues, now sneaky upside plays? They seem like great end of the bench guys who migh hit early, and if not they're easy to send back to the player pool...

Is it just me or does Tyrod starting make guys like Harvin and Clay, almost undraftable in most leagues, now sneaky upside plays? They seem like great end of the bench guys who migh hit early, and if not they're easy to send back to the player pool...
I'm curious why you think they'd do better with taylor than someone like Cassell.

My guess is that he thinks the scrambling qb would open more broken plays up for the receivers. I'd agree with that. Probably likely that Harvin gets more of a chance to improvise and clay receives better oportunities for short to intermediate pass plays.

From the interviews I've seen, this would be out of character. He's 26, not early 20's. He's been respectful and reserved. Not flashy.

Ok, I think I will go find the bills game early this Sunday before the Saints play.

Need a QB sleeper, Sunday will be the interview for Mr. Taylor.

I'm curious why you think they'd do better with taylor than someone like Cassell.
Because Cassel has been pretty terrible since 2011, Taylor is an unknown and people love the promise of the unknown.

The tone of this thread very much depends on whether or not daily fantasy owners who use him this week win their matchups

My guess is that he thinks the scrambling qb would open more broken plays up for the receivers. I'd agree with that. Probably likely that Harvin gets more of a chance to improvise and clay receives better oportunities for short to intermediate pass plays.
Yeah, but also some other things too. Taylor looked really accurate in the preseason and both Harvin and Clay are great after the catch, and better yet, they've gone very late in drafts. Harvin is on WWs in one of my short bench redrafts. I could see a situation where BUF is very run heavy so Ds load the box and there's a lot of opportunities in the short to intermediate passing game, where either Harvin or Clay could pick up some nice chunk yardage and post lines like 3/75 with an occasional TD. Nice value for guys as cheap as them, with plenty of upside for more.

Only thing I'm worried about is how well was this guy trained at Baltimore to read defenses.

It's totally different thing to play against basic pre-season defense and against NFL-caliber defense.

Tyrod will be tested, he may not be perfect, but if stays on the positive side this season and learns

from his mistakes who knows how high his ceiling is? Will be watching this game and will watch every snap

on coaches film too. I'm excited, really don't know how will he manage in the first game, but I'm sure keeping my thumps up :thumbup:

Read this morning that Rex tried to trade for Taylor last year at the advice of Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Cam Cameron and Jim Caldwell. This guy really could be good.

He looks really good and comfortable today just as he did in pre-season.

Never would have thought he'd be a NFL starter when watching him at Tech but he and the Bills could be in for a really big year.

Users who are viewing this thread