What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cameron Artis-Payne SEC leading rusher.... (1 Viewer)

Carter_Can_Fly

Footballguy
I guess this is the time of year to bring up a guy like RB Artis-Payne the 5th round rookie pick for the Carolina Panthers.

Artis-Payne is the kind of player I like to take a flier on and let me tell you why. Now I get that most late round rb's end up being waiver wire fodder and are lucky to even make the squad they were drafted to.

However, who is Artis-Payne...

-He lead the SEC in rushing last year. The same SEC that had Gurley, Yeldon, and Chubb in it. Now I know he had more carries than those guys but it is still a note worthy stat especially showing he is durable and can handle a big work load. Also in the SEC it is not as if he was playing a cup cake schedule.

-His stats this year: 303 carries, 1608 yards rushing for a 5.3 ypc and 13 tds. He also added 13 receptions for 147 yards.

-Combine stats: 5'10, 212 lbs, and he ran a 4.53 forty time. 36.5 inch vertical, 118 inch broad jump and 7.13 three cone.

-Artis Payne was a late bloomer. Took some time off then played 2 years of JUCO before playing his final 2 years at Auburn. He is an old rookie as he will be 24 when the NFL season starts.

-Stewart is number 1 on the depth chart but for the last 5 years Stewart has not managed to have more than 178 rushes in a season.

-He is in competition with Fozzy Whitaker who is on his 3 team and Jordan Todman who is in his 5th year in the league and has done absolutely nothing.

-There is a real chance that Artis-Payne wins the back up role behind Stewart and could be an injury away from being pretty good. All of that at a bargain price.

Just throwing out a name that maybe is not high profile that you can get for cheap. If he does not pan out, no big deal.

Career backup with some handcuff value IMO. Only way he sees the field is if Stewart gets hurt (definitely possible).

25 years old already too. Somewhat scary considering there are guys who have been established in the league already for a couple of years that are younger than him.

Last edited by a moderator:
-Artis Payne was a late bloomer. Took some time off then played 2 years of JUCO before playing his final 2 years at Auburn. He is an old rookie as he will be 24 when the NFL season starts.
25 years old already too. Somewhat scary considering there are guys who have been established in the league already for a couple of years that are younger than him.
:confused:

Wikipedia has him with a 6/23/92 birthdate, which will make him 23 at the start of this season (about a year older than Gordon, Abdullah, or Coleman).

:confused:

Wikipedia has him with a 6/23/92 birthdate, which makes him about a year older than Gordon, Abdullah, or Coleman.
Ya I think that may be wrong. I read somewhere that he was 24.
http://www.panthers.com/team/roster/cameron-artis-payne/6108b3b9-bfc0-4970-95c3-12a2e885c8c0/

I've seen his age at 24 and 22, from my understanding his Bday is 06/24/1990 and he'll be 25 when the season begins.

ETA: Here's an article about his journey to Auburn saying he'll be 23 in the fall of 2013...

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2013/04/cameron_artis-paynes_long_wind.html

Maybe it's just me, but if you get a solid 4 years out of a pick that late under his rookie contract you are coming out way ahead. Whether he's 20 or 25 makes little difference to me for a position like RB.

RB and a running game should be viewed like the tires on your car. If you don't have ANY you aren't going anywhere, but they are the part that will likey need replacing the most often so when you come across a good deal you should probably invest in them.

I really like Artis-Payne and think he could easily be a RBBC at the price of a spare tire. He seems to have the potential to be more than just a pure backup to me. I can't help but wonder if some of these guys are getting lost in the shuffle because of the depth of this RB class. Where would he have been drafted last year?

Mine aren't over yet but I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't drafted at all. FA pickup afterwards.

Pick 6.07 is crazy unless it is IDP.

I took him at pick 34 in a 10 teamer. There were several WRs that went after him that I would have taken before him in a different league setup, we start 2 RBs, 2 WRs, and a flex.

Pick 6.07 is crazy unless it is IDP.

I took him at pick 34 in a 10 teamer. There were several WRs that went after him that I would have taken before him in a different league setup, we start 2 RBs, 2 WRs, and a flex.
It is a start 2 Qb IDP league.

Rotoworld)The Panthers believe Cameron Artis-Payne can carry a full workload if Jonathan Stewart gets injured.

Analysis: Artis-Payne's limited athleticism and advanced age for a rookie (he'll turn 23 in June) make him a pedestrian Dynasty prospect. But he has virtually no competition for backup duties to Stewart, who has missed 20 games over the last three seasons. Artis-Payne led the SEC in rushing while at Auburn last season. "He's a complete back," Carolina coach Ron Rivera said. "I watched games last year where he took games over. That's what you saw with Gurley. That's what you saw with the kid from Wisconsin

He's going to be 25 years old shortly. Worth a shot late 3rd or early 4th of rookie drafts, but I think he has almost no shot at anything other than a marginally productive fill in if Stewart were to get injured. I don't see any form of continued value arising from him (I.e. He's not going to head into any season as the Panthers de facto #1 RB).

He's going to be 25 years old shortly. Worth a shot late 3rd or early 4th of rookie drafts, but I think he has almost no shot at anything other than a marginally productive fill in if Stewart were to get injured. I don't see any form of continued value arising from him (I.e. He's not going to head into any season as the Panthers de facto #1 RB).
Ya age is less than ideal, but you can get Artis-Payne for cheap and he is a Stewart injury away from being relevant.

Running back is such a volatile position that stocking up on guys that come cheap is worth the risk especially if you have the roster space.

Over the last number of years had you used the same strategy you could have stock piled all of these guys for cheap: Demarco Murray, Arian Foster, Jamal Charles, Justin Forsett, CJ Anderson, Fred Jackson, Chris Ivory, Darren Sproles and on and on.

Ya age is less than ideal, but you can get Artis-Payne for cheap and he is a Stewart injury away from being relevant.

Running back is such a volatile position that stocking up on guys that come cheap is worth the risk especially if you have the roster space.

Over the last number of years had you used the same strategy you could have stock piled all of these guys for cheap: Demarco Murray, Arian Foster, Jamal Charles, Justin Forsett, CJ Anderson, Fred Jackson, Chris Ivory, Darren Sproles and on and on.
Has anyone ever gone broke betting that Stewart gets injured?

Ya age is less than ideal, but you can get Artis-Payne for cheap and he is a Stewart injury away from being relevant. Running back is such a volatile position that stocking up on guys that come cheap is worth the risk especially if you have the roster space.

Nope, but I also think the odds that Artis Payne becomes startable if Stewart were to go down are closer to 20% than they are to 80%.

Ya age is less than ideal, but you can get Artis-Payne for cheap and he is a Stewart injury away from being relevant. Running back is such a volatile position that stocking up on guys that come cheap is worth the risk especially if you have the roster space.

Nope, but I also think the odds that Artis Payne becomes startable if Stewart were to go down are closer to 20% than they are to 80%.
Wouldnt 20% chance at relevence be much much higher than most people at his ADP?

Bearish on the CAR running game as a whole or just think that Fozzy and Tolbert are good enough to have that role?

Wouldnt 20% chance at relevence be much much higher than most people at his ADP?
Fair point, which I why I say he's a viable option where he's being drafted.

What I don't think Artis Payne presents is an opportunity for continued relevance. If you think a spot starter offering limited upside is what your team might need (say, a contender weak at RB), then go for him. If you're a rebuilding team, I don't think he's a guy I'd be after unless the intent is to flip him if/when he has his first 18-92-1 type of game.

Bearish on the CAR running game as a whole or just think that Fozzy and Tolbert are good enough to have that role?
I've seen enough of the Carolina RB usage to say that while I'm not bearish on their run game as a whole, I'm bearish on any one of Artis Payne, Todman, Fozzy, or Tolbert getting enough volume to be even remotely reliable were Stewart to go down.

In the event of a Stewart injury:

- I don't think Artis Payne is talented enough to dictate a substantial workload

- I don't think the Panthers would rely on a rookie RB for a heavy volume

- They've shown their propensity to involve Tolbert rather significantly as a passing down, short yardage, and GL option

- While not world beaters, Todman or Fozzy are serviceable and I believe they'd get some touches as well

In summary, if Stewart goes down I think you're looking at three RB's getting weekly touches, making this a massive fantasy mess.

guys who traded for DeAngelo Williams at his peak.

he is a Stewart injury away from being relevant.
to be fair we really don't know that at all. You want to just dismiss Fozzy Whitaker and Jordon Todman (without even mentioning Mike Tolbert) as "no competition", but the truth is Artis-Payne's draft position tells us the NFL really doesn't value him much more than the Whitaker's and Todman's of the world (who have each shown some modicum of success on an NFL playing field as well).

to be fair we really don't know that at all. You want to just dismiss Fozzy Whitaker and Jordon Todman (without even mentioning Mike Tolbert) as "no competition", but the truth is Artis-Payne's draft position tells us the NFL really doesn't value him much more than the Whitaker's and Todman's of the world (who have each shown some modicum of success on an NFL playing field as well).
Good point. I guess I should have said, he could be a Stewart injury away from being relevant. In fairness, that role could be Whitaker or Todman as well. I have seen enough of Tolbert and he is a guy that you just don't feature.

Let me try it again. Whoever wins the back up role is a Stewart injury away from having some type of fantasy relevance.

Good point. I guess I should have said, he could be a Stewart injury away from being relevant. In fairness, that role could be Whitaker or Todman as well. I have seen enough of Tolbert and he is a guy that you just don't feature.Let me try it again. Whoever wins the back up role is a Stewart injury away from having some type of fantasy relevance.
I do think he'd have a fairly decent shot to beat those guys out. Tolbert wouldn't likely be used as a feature back at any point, but his usage in the passing game and at the goal-line could severely limit the fantasy relevance of any back that does replace Stewart. You'd likely see plenty of 40 yard, 2-3 reception games from that back.

With that said, CAP is surely worth taking a shot on in rookie drafts since he's been going in the late third/early fourt - at that point anyone you grab is a long shot for fantasy relevance.

Has anyone ever gone broke betting that Stewart doesn't gets injured?
EBF

I was ready to pick him up as a late flier/lotto ticket but after reading through it some more, I will pass. They love Tolbert down there just enough to where he will steal the GL stuff. They have Cam and the big three wrs/Te. They let Tyler Gafney go last year and just seem to be a team comfy with slapping whatever gets them through a week at the running game when JSTEW/DWIL have been hurt.

I think best case scenario is you get some Branden Oliver 2 week trade opp out of him so IF I grab him, it is only with the intention to sell-not to ride out and hope for relevance.

I was ready to pick him up as a late flier/lotto ticket but after reading through it some more, I will pass. They love Tolbert down there just enough to where he will steal the GL stuff. They have Cam and the big three wrs/Te. They let Tyler Gafney go last year and just seem to be a team comfy with slapping whatever gets them through a week at the running game when JSTEW/DWIL have been hurt.

I think best case scenario is you get some Branden Oliver 2 week trade opp out of him so IF I grab him, it is only with the intention to sell-not to ride out and hope for relevance.
Actually they "waived" him in order to place him on the IR with an ACL tear, and the Pats claimed him off waivers (something that is supposedly frowned upon in leagues circles, but the Pats, and other teams, have done before).

MFL has his DOB as June 23, 1992 - making him currently 22 (wiki has the same). What's the actual age?

Just based on his history, I don't see how he's 23. Graduated from High School in 2007, didn't attend college right out of high school, followed by 2 years of JUCO and 2 years at Auburn.

"It's not been easy for Artis-Payne, 22, ..." (article from April 2013): http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2013/04/cameron_artis-payne_auburn_tig.html

"Artis-Payne, who will turn 25 in June...": http://espn.go.com/n...ong-journey-nfl

"Transferred to Harrisburg prior to his Senior year in 2007...": http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2061215/cameron-artis-payne

Draft discussion on Carolina message board: http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/114347-round-5-pick-38-174th-overall-the-carolina-panthers-select-cameron-artis-payne-rb-auburn/page-13

Just based on his history, I don't see how he's 23. Graduated from High School in 2007, didn't attend college right out of high school, followed by 2 years of JUCO and 2 years at Auburn.

"It's not been easy for Artis-Payne, 22, ..." (article from April 2013): http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2013/04/cameron_artis-payne_auburn_tig.html

"Artis-Payne, who will turn 25 in June...": http://espn.go.com/n...ong-journey-nfl

"Transferred to Harrisburg prior to his Senior year in 2007...": http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2061215/cameron-artis-payne

Draft discussion on Carolina message board: http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/114347-round-5-pick-38-174th-overall-the-carolina-panthers-select-cameron-artis-payne-rb-auburn/page-13
Exactly. And the recent ESPN article mentions that he was 20 years old and living at home, before even starting junior college.

Actually they "waived" him in order to place him on the IR with an ACL tear, and the Pats claimed him off waivers (something that is supposedly frowned upon in leagues circles, but the Pats, and other teams, have done before).
YEs, true. I guess they took the risk of exposing him and lost but overall I think it illustrates my thought that they are just not an organization that is going to go to the wall on RBs. They just seem to look up and say "ok, what we got to work with? Something? Great! Nothing, Fine." This leads me to think if JSTEW is out, the value of Artis-Payne is minimal because they will just roll with what they have and they know Tolbert is great at the GL and they have Cam and the receivers. Toddman is pretty good in the passing game too so I just don't get a sense that this is like what people thought it would be like owning Ben Tate when Foster got hurt.

Good point. I guess I should have said, he could be a Stewart injury away from being relevant. In fairness, that role could be Whitaker or Todman as well. I have seen enough of Tolbert and he is a guy that you just don't feature.

Let me try it again. Whoever wins the back up role is a Stewart injury away from having some type of fantasy relevance.
I feel like Todman is more of a special teams play, but we'll see what happens in camp.

Good work. It looks like the June 1990 birthdate is probably the correct one.

Good work. It looks like the June 1990 birthdate is probably the correct one.
The Panthers website shows him as 24 right now too.. .

http://www.panthers.com/team/roster/Cameron-Artis-Payne/6108b3b9-bfc0-4970-95c3-12a2e885c8c0

That would be my plan.

As soon as Stewart goes down, he might not be relevant, but he'd be trade worthy.

(USA Today) Carolina Panthers RB Cameron Artis-Payne is expected to win the No. 2 running back job behind starting RB Jonathan Stewart. Artis-Payne, a 2015 fifth-round draft choice, should play a significant role in the offense, in the opinion of ESPN.com's David Newton. Rookie RB Brandon Wegher and RB Fozzy Whittaker are likely to compete for the No. 3 job.

Users who are viewing this thread