What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Maxx Williams, ARZ (1 Viewer)

What happened to this kid?  He is only 22 and Baltimore doesn't seem interested to get him very involved.  Is it time to move along?  I'm not sure how long I'm willing to hold a guy getting zero targets a week. 

He's only 22 and has been injured most of the time. Have to hold him at least through end of this season. Tight ends always take a few years to develop. Pitta isn't exactly the picture of health so Williams will get his chance. To cut bait on him before you've seen him actually play would be a mistake. Especially since he was a high 2nd round pick in most dynasty rookie drafts.

Ravens TE Maxx Williams is recovering from a knee surgery "no other football player has had," but is expected to be ready for training camp.

That was the extent of coach John Harbaugh's update. Williams went down with a knee injury last Week 4, finishing the year on injured reserve with little in the way of update. The ailment was initially described as a "cartilage issue." The No. 55 overall pick of the 2015 draft, Williams was a playmaker in college, but has been an NFL bust so far.

Source: Jeff Zrebiec on Twitter 
May 25 - 2:41 PM

is he worth a hold in a 16 team, TE premium league? 53 man rosters including IDP
At what opportunity cost?  What do you gain by cutting him in May?  If you are talking about post-rookie draft free agents, I would just as soon hold out and see if his pedigree can surface rather than grabbing someone like Eric Saubert

10 team 45 man rosters start 2te I'm holding him.  My TEs aren't great (Ertz, Pitta, Walford, Witten) so I made sure to grab him last year and designate him on IR.  I'd rather cut Pitta and Witten than Maxx at this point as well.  

Maxx Williams said he feels great eight months removed from knee surgery.
Williams dealt with a nagging knee injury last year which eventually required a surgery coach John Harbaugh said had never before been performed on a football player. "We took care of it because everything was hurting and obviously I had a problem," Williams said. "Now I just have to work myself back into it and get cleared." Williams appears to be confident and Harbaugh expects him to return for training camp, but the mysterious nature of the injury raises some concern. Even if he does come back at 100 percent, Williams faces a tough climb up a crowded depth chart.

Source: baltimoreravens.com 
Jun 1 - 7:53 AM

dot.

i'm holding in a 12-team PPR, as i invested a lot and it'd kill me to cut bait... i will give him until the end of this year to see if there are any flashes

I don't think so.
watson is old as dirt

I think in light of recent events, CG and Boyle might be the guys. maxx and maybe waller would be worth a stash thru camp tho

never know who they will bring in from the UDFA and FAs as well, pretty sure at one point last year they had 8-9 TE on the squad

Last edited by a moderator:
I sure hope he can beat out Boyle. I just traded a 2019 2nd for him in my 24 tm league. Talent and opportunity is there I think. 

A combined lack of health, understanding of the playbook, and skill.
What do you base this on?  He started slowly as a rookie which they nearly all do.  He got hurt and missed last year.  How are you able to even guess how well he knows the playbook?

As far as skill, the guy was a consensus 1st round talent in pre-draft coverage and did indeed get drafted in the first round

edit:   faaaaaail

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you base this on?  He started slowly as a rookie which they nearly all do.  He got hurt and missed last year.  How are you able to even guess how well he knows the playbook?

As far as skill, the guy was a consensus 1st round talent in pre-draft coverage and did indeed get drafted in the first round. 
Negative.

As far as skill, the guy was a consensus 1st round talent in pre-draft coverage and did indeed get drafted in the first round. 
Just from watching local coverage of the Ravens. No, I don't have sources, but the talking heads in the area said that was part of the reason why Crocket Gillmore and Doyle were ahead of him on the depth chart.

Skill I was just basing on watching him play. The player I saw wasn't very proficient at blocking or route running against NFL talent (2nd, 3rd, or 4th string talent in preseasons). The skill part was a personal opinion and could be a result of his many injuries. I did think he was good coming out of school.

Maxx Williams caught 4-of-4 targets for 21 yards in the Ravens' Week 2 win over the Browns.

Williams didn't do much notable, but it is an accomplishment that he is stringing together games played and earning snaps after his first two NFL seasons were lost mainly to injury. Williams is now the Ravens' No. 2 tight end behind Ben Watson. Still only 23 years old, Williams maintains Dynasty league appeal.

Do any Ravens homers know how Williams finished the season with regard to his health?

I realize his roster spot may not be long for BAL and he's been an epic bust thus far(much of it do to health) but TE's generally develop later that most positions and it seems to me there are more than a few NFL TE "competitions" between players that haven't accomplished that much more than Williams and certainly don't have the draft pedigree. 

Mostly a deep dynasty dive but I think fans/ff give up on young TE's too early.

Do any Ravens homers know how Williams finished the season with regard to his health?

I realize his roster spot may not be long for BAL and he's been an epic bust thus far(much of it do to health) but TE's generally develop later that most positions and it seems to me there are more than a few NFL TE "competitions" between players that haven't accomplished that much more than Williams and certainly don't have the draft pedigree. 

Mostly a deep dynasty dive but I think fans/ff give up on young TE's too early.
The Baltimore Sun's Jeff Zrebiec believes Ravens TE Maxx Williams is on the roster bubble.

2015 first-rounder Breshad Perriman gets the stick, but Williams has been equally disappointing since the Ravens selected him in the second round of that draft. He has played 29 games in three seasons, recording just 47 catches for 354 yards and two touchdowns. Williams is a solid blocker, but he will have to show well in camp to keep his job after the Ravens added first-rounder Hayden Hurst and third-rounder Mark Andrews in the draft.

The Baltimore Sun's Jeff Zrebiec believes Ravens TE Maxx Williams is on the roster bubble.

2015 first-rounder Breshad Perriman gets the stick, but Williams has been equally disappointing since the Ravens selected him in the second round of that draft. He has played 29 games in three seasons, recording just 47 catches for 354 yards and two touchdowns. Williams is a solid blocker, but he will have to show well in camp to keep his job after the Ravens added first-rounder Hayden Hurst and third-rounder Mark Andrews in the draft.
Yeah, that's what prompted my question. It wasn't very long ago that he was a first rounder and while BAL may have moved on there are plenty of other places around the NFL where he could at least compete for a roster spot if not a starting spot. I can't remember there being so many unproven TE's around the NFL slated as "starters" as there are right now. ARZ, CIN(Eifert ever healthy?), DAL, DEN, DET, HOU, MIA, NYJ, SEA, WAS(Reed ever healthy?).

Alot of people like to give Ozzie Newsome great credit for his drafting, but he BOMBED his picks of Perriman and Maxx Williams that year.

Alot of people like to give Ozzie Newsome great credit for his drafting, but he BOMBED his picks of Perriman and Maxx Williams that year.
Ozzie has made some very good picks especially on the defensive side of the ball.

He has a terrible track record with WR though,

1st round busts

Travis Taylor

Mark Clayton

Breshad Perriman

2nd round pick Torrey Smith likely the most successful one. Not good at all.

And the 3rd rounder that year was Carl Davis who has also disappointed. I remember him well because I was a San Diego Charger fan at the time and was pretty ticked they passed on Davis to take Craig Mager. Who's kidding who, I'm still ticked they passed on Davis and they chose Craig Mager! I will admit that Telesco did a good job drafting Philon in the 6th. 

Anyway, back to Ozzie.... he still had a pretty good draft in 2015 in the 4th/5th. Scooped up Z.Smith, Buck Allen, and Boyle that are all solid contributors. This is why I bristle when people say that day 3 picks are useless. They are..... for the bad teams/front offices. It hasn't worked out but I'm glad they gave Darren Waller a shot. That's exactly the type of player teams should be using their last pick in the draft on imo. Even in a "bad" draft it's tough not to love an Ozzie draft imo. Loved watching him as a player. Loved watching him as a GM.

Yeah, that's what prompted my question. It wasn't very long ago that he was a first rounder and while BAL may have moved on there are plenty of other places around the NFL where he could at least compete for a roster spot if not a starting spot. I can't remember there being so many unproven TE's around the NFL slated as "starters" as there are right now. ARZ, CIN(Eifert ever healthy?), DAL, DEN, DET, HOU, MIA, NYJ, SEA, WAS(Reed ever healthy?).
He was a 2nd round pick, the draft pedigree isn't all that compelling at this point.

Cardinals signed TE Maxx Williams, formerly of the Ravens.

The No. 55 overall pick of the 2015 draft, Williams entered the league as a hyped pass-catching prospect but has seen his career derailed by injury, including a devastating 2016 knee ailment. On the surface, Kliff Kingsbury's air raid would seem to be an encouraging place for Williams to try to revive his career, but Kingsbury infamously did not involve his tight ends in the passing game at Texas Tech. Although he just turned 25, the ship has probably sailed on Williams having a productive NFL career.

RELATED: 

Baltimore Ravens

SOURCE: Jeff Zrebiec on Twitter

May 2, 2019, 5:29 PM ET

Maxx Williams caught all seven of his targets for 94 yards in Arizona's Week 2 win over the Vikings.

Williams' previous career-high in receiving yards was 53, easily dismissed after he hauled in a long gain of 34 yards via a lucky tip-drill that deflected off a defender's helmet Sunday. Despite the production, Williams logged fewer snaps (74%) than he did in Week 1 (80%) and mirrored his own route rate (59%) on Kyler Murray's dropbacks in both games. With Rondale Moore (7/114/1) slowly emerging as the team's No. 2/3 receiver, there's no need to value Williams off waiver wires.

Sep 20, 2021, 3:16 PM ET

Maxx Williams caught three of three targets for 19 yards in the Cardinals' Week 3 win against the Jaguars. 

A hot waiver wire claim after his seven-catch Week 2 outing against the Vikings, Williams ran just 17 routes on Kyler Murray's 37 drop backs against Jacksonville. Williams will be Arizona's No. 4 target, at best, going forward. In Week 4, Williams gets a Rams defense that has been something of a tight end target funnel in 2021. 

Sep 27, 2021, 11:36 AM ET

Maxx Williams caught 5-of-5 targets for 66 yards and a touchdown in the Cardinals' Week 4 win over the Rams. 

This is getting interesting. Williams is now averaging five weekly targets since his one-look Week 1, piling up 176 yards to go along with today's touchdown, a 14-yarder where he caught a perfect timing pass from Kyler Murray. With so many mouths to feed in this offense, Williams is going to mix in some zeros, but he has officially shown enough to garner TE2 attention. 

Maxx Williams (shoulder) was upgraded to limited in Thursday's practice.

The veteran tight end sat out with the shoulder on Monday. Williams has had surprising success this year as Kyler Murray's growth as a quarterback has created more late-down opportunities in structure for the tight end group in Arizona. He remains in the TE2 pool because of his unreliable production, and the 49ers aren't a group that tends to give up yards in bushels to tight ends. 

Oct 7, 2021, 5:56 PM ET

Cardinals TE Maxx Williams (shoulder) is active for Week 5 against the 49ers. 

Williams always seemed on the right side of questionable. He can be trusted as a mid-range TE2 for what will hopefully be a shootout with San Francisco. 

Oct 10, 2021, 2:58 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Maxx Williams may have suffered a season-ending knee injury in Week 5 against the 49ers. 

Williams took a brutal shot to the right knee in Arizona's Week 5 win and was carted off the field. Williams had established himself as a consistent part of the Cardinals' productive passing game, catching 15 of 15 targets from Kyler Murray from Week 2 to Week 4. He averaged 21.33 pass routes per game in that stretch and played nearly 66 percent of the Cards' offensive snaps. His loss means Darrell Daniels -- who's on the COVID-19 list -- is Arizona's No. 1 tight end going forward. Daniels could be interesting in deep tight end premium formats. 

RELATED: 

Darrell Daniels

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Oct 11, 2021, 10:55 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread