What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Maxx Williams, ARZ (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
Mel Kiper Jr. predicts rookie honors for Ravens tight end Maxx Williams

Excerpt:

The Ravens drafted Minnesota tight end Maxx Williams in the second round and anticipate hihe will have a major pass-catching role in new offensive coordinator Marc Trestman's tight end-friendly scheme. So does Kiper.

"I think Maxx Williams could be NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year," Kiper said. "He could be everything that Dennis Pitta was when he was healthy."
Rotoworld take:

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. believes second-round TE Maxx Williams could be the Offensive Rookie of the Year.

"He could be everything that Dennis Pitta was when he was healthy," Kiper said. It's silly to suggest Rookie of the Year honors as first-year tight ends almost always struggle and Maxx won't see a ton of volume -- Pitta's best season was 61-669-7. But Kiper's point on the highly athletic and skilled Williams as a nice fit for Joe Flacco and the Marc Trestman scheme is well taken. He'll be a low-end TE2 candidate if Pitta (hip) can't return.

May 5 - 10:00 AM

Source: Baltimore Sun

Last edited by a moderator:
SI 64: Nos. 29-25: Eric Kendricks, Maxx Williams, T.J. Clemmings, more

Excerpt:

27. Maxx Williams, TE, MinnesotaBio: Williams redshirted as a freshman in 2012 and then played just two seasons before turning pro, so teams will be intrigued by his potential. His 36 catches and 569 yards receiving (remarkably) led Minnesota last season, as did his eight touchdown receptions. Williams was an all-Big Ten first-teamer last season and averaged 16.2 yards per catch over his career. In 2013 he was just the third sophomore ever named a finalist for the Mackey Award, presented to the nation's top tight end. His dad, Brian Williams, played 11 seasons with the New York Giants.

Strengths: Freakishly athletic for the tight end position, which will make him appealing to any team seeking a field-stretching option there. Quickly moves into space on short and intermediate routes, then accelerates to the second level and beyond. Difficult to bring down in the open field—he hurdled lunging defenders on multiple occasions during his college career. More than enough speed to challenge the seam. Creates dream mismatches for quarterbacks downfield, with speed to beat linebackers and pressure safeties plus a wide catch radius. Outstanding body control and hands, too, so quarterbacks can throw him open. At the very least, should be a red zone staple as a rookie. Sky could be the limit if a team unlocks the rest of his potential.

Weaknesses: Eric Ebron learned last year that it takes more than natural gifts to be a successful NFL tight end. Williams must be careful not to suffer the same pratfalls and can start by honing his route-running. Excelled on contested catches, but was he in so many of those situations because he could not clear more space? Right now, he cannot be counted on as an in-line blocker—ideal team fit would be one with a mauler already in place so he can play the move role in two- or three-tight-end sets. Subpar blocking goes hand-in-hand, to some degree, with a need to add some strength.

Conclusion: As is the case with, say, Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota at quarterback or Landon Collins at safety, Williams ought to benefit from the overall lack of draft depth at his position. He could land in Round 1 in large part because there is not another tight end who warrants such a high selection. However, that's not to say that Williams is an overrated talent. His playmaking skills are electrifying at times, borderline baffling for a prospect of his size. Williams' blocking should improve in time; same for his route-running—remember, his non-redshirt time in school was limited to two years. Should he take those steps forward, rounding out the nooks and crannies of his game to pair with his pass-catching skills, Pro Bowls could be in his future.

Pro comparison: Kyle Rudolph, Vikings (Round 2, 2011)

Mike Mayock: Brandon Scherff will be first O-lineman drafted

Excerpt:

Blah TE class highlighted by Minnesota star

This year's tight end class is underwhelming. How underwhelming? The top tight end in the class for Mayock (and almost every analyst) is Minnesota's Maxx Williams, whose dad, Brian, was a longtime NFL offensive lineman. Mayock has Williams -- who measured at 6-3 7/8 and 249 pounds and ran a 4.77 in the 40 -- as a second-rounder. "He is the only tight end I have in the first two rounds," Mayock said. He said Williams is athletic -- albeit not explosive -- and has "really good hands." Williams was clocked in a solid 4.37 seconds in the 20-yard shuttle and had a 34.5-inch vertical jump.

12 posts all by Faust... This guy is getting no buzz at all. Looks like he will be a good value pick late 2nd/early 3rd round pick.

ETA: just noticed 11 of them are within 5 minutes of each other lol

Last edited by a moderator:
12 posts all by Faust... This guy is getting no buzz at all. Looks like he will be a good value pick late 2nd/early 3rd round pick.

He looks like a Witten type, unfortunately everyone is looking for a Gronk type.

rookie TE's rarely excel right out of the gate. plus, he's got someone reasonably talented that is a capable blocker and able to catch pretty well. The Ravens owner commented only a month ago about their TE situation and spoke well of Gillmore:

Bisciotti even drew a comparison between compared Gillmore and to Cowboys perennial Pro Bowl tight end Jason Witten. Both players are big-[hyphen]bodied tight ends who can hold their own as blockers, and they also have the hands to serve as assets in the passing game.

“When you have a guy like a Jason Witten who loves to block – doesn’t just do it because he’s being made to do it – and can get off the line of scrimmage, that can be a great weapon.

“I really would expect 30-40 balls to Crockett this year.”

The Ravens likely won’t know Pitta’s status until training camp nears this summer, and they will have contingency plans in place if he’s unable to return. Baltimore is monitoring the free-agency market, and Bisciotti also indicated that the Ravens will look to the middle rounds of the draft to add a pass-catching tight end like Pitta.

“With Crockett as the in-line guy, then I think that there are opportunities to find another Dennis Pitta – a move tight end, a mismatch guy that can split out into the slot and create those kinds of mismatches,” Bisciotti said. “We got him in the fourth round and I’m very hopeful that we’ll find ourselves a flex/move tight end in the third or fourth round.”

With Gillmore and another tight end in the mix, the Ravens will new have a new young core to replenish the position. And the possibility still exists for Pitta to make another comeback, which has the Ravens hopeful for the impact of that position.

“I think there’s a real good chance we’ll get one [in the draft],” Bisciotti said. “And if we get Dennis Pitta back, then we are set.

No need getting overly excited about a 2nd round tight end in a favorable offense year one. He will be a buy low at the end of the year once he fails to live up to expectations that arent yet established. The rookie of the year nonsense is garbage. If you havent learned your lesson after watching Ebron, ASJ, and Amaro, you deserve what you get.

I'd be surprised if he fell to the 3rd in many leagues, he shouldn't fall that far unless you're only able to start 1 TE without TE enhanced scoring. Or no TEs.

But in my leagues where we can flex a TE and they score 1.5 ppr (compared to 1 for WR), he's gone as the 15th and 17th player.

He looks like a Witten type, unfortunately everyone is looking for a Gronk type.
"Everyone" is not looking for a great-blocking Hall of Famer with 943 catches and counting?

I'd be surprised if he fell to the 3rd in many leagues, he shouldn't fall that far unless you're only able to start 1 TE without TE enhanced scoring. Or no TEs.

But in my leagues where we can flex a TE and they score 1.5 ppr (compared to 1 for WR), he's gone as the 15th and 17th player.
Just went 7th in 1.5 PPR league overall. I was hoping for him at the 1.12 and wish you where right Fubar. His value is higher than most think unless TE is an after thought for leagues. I got him 1.14 in my home league before the draft and was happy. I tried to move up to 1.8 for him but he dropped to me anyways.

Flacco loves his tight ends, even more so in Trestman's offense. And this dude apparently has really good hands which is not prevalent on the Ravens roster. Expect this guy to get a lot of catches right out of the gate.

Just went 7th in 1.5 PPR league overall. I was hoping for him at the 1.12 and wish you where right Fubar. His value is higher than most think unless TE is an after thought for leagues. I got him 1.14 in my home league before the draft and was happy. I tried to move up to 1.8 for him but he dropped to me anyways.
what did I say that wasn't right? 7th is too high IMO but it's understandable.

I wanted him at the 12 and hoped your 15 to 17 range had been correct. I know the team with pick 9 was also wanting Maxx Williams so he was wanted by quite a few owners.

I wanted him at the 12 and hoped your 15 to 17 range had been correct. I know the team with pick 9 was also wanting Maxx Williams so he was wanted by quite a few owners.
ah, you were hoping your league would value players the same as mine. :shrug: frankly anywhere from 7-20 seems like a mass where it's difficult to predict.

Rating the NFL draft prospects: Wide receivers and tight ends

Excerpt:

MAXX WILLIAMS, Minnesota (6-4, 249, 4.84, 1-2): Third-year sophomore saw opportunity amid a woeful collection of tight ends and forfeited his final two seasons. "The confidence and the cockiness comes out because his dad's been through the process as a first-round draft choice," one scout said. "I'm sure they looked at it and said, 'Look, Maxx, this is the year to come out. You're the best one. Take a chance.'" Two-year stats were 61 catches for 986 (16.2) and 13 TDs. "He's easily the No. 1 guy," a second scout said. "He doesn't look sleek but I guarantee he can catch it, and he'll give you enough as a blocker, which sometimes you don't get from those sleek guys." Father, Brian, was the Giants' starting center for a decade. "He's one of those guys that jumps over people and stiff-arms," another scout said. "Real good hands. This guy will block, too." Wonderlic of 29. Hails from Waconia, Minn. "He's not a first-rounder," a third scout said. "He doesn't block. He's got really nice hands. He's got average speed. He's 4.8."

Rotoworld:

The Baltimore Sun expects second-round TE Maxx Williams to "work in tandem" with Crockett Gillmore.

As in, Gillmore will throw the blocks and Williams will catch the passes. That's over-simplifying it a bit, as Williams can do a little blocking and Gillmore a little catching, but Williams will be counted on to make plays as a receiver. The No. 99 overall pick of last year's draft, Gillmore caught 10 passes in 15 games behind Owen Daniels and Dennis Pitta. Pitta's (hip) health is the reason Baltimore needed Williams in the first place.

May 3 - 5:18 PM
Ravens traded up with the Cardinals to select Minnesota TE Maxx Williams with the No. 55 overall pick in the 2015 NFL draft.

Williams (6'4/249) made 17 starts in two seasons at Minnesota, parlaying 61 catches into 986 yards (16.2 YPR) and 13 TDs. He was the 2014 Big Ten Tight End of the Year and a second-team All American. A flex/move tight end who also blocks competently, Williams' game has similarities to former Ravens TE Todd Heap. Williams tested in the Brent Celek range with a 4.78 forty and 34 1/2-inch vertical at the Combine. Still an at-times dynamic receiving threat, Williams has huge hands (10 3/8") and long arms (33 1/2"), and can win with power or finesse. He's quality insurance should Dennis Pitta not make it back from his severe hip injury. Williams is sure to see the field a decent amount as a rookie.

May 1 - 9:08 PM
Minnesota TE Maxx Williams has a "lot of upside" and "should be a good addition to anybody's roster depth right now and has potential to become a standout in a couple of years," notes NFLDraftScout.com's Frank Cooney.

Williams hoisted up 17 reps on the bench at the combine, interesting in the context of how he responded to questions about what he must improve upon for the NFL: "I would say my biggest weakness is my strength. Being only 20 years old knowing that my body's not fully developed into what it could develop into is a strength. But I feel like my biggest weakness could turn into one of my strengths, as I turn 21, 22, and get those years and experience in the weight room developing my body." As Cooney notes, there is much work to be done for the consensus top TE prospect. "Williams appears to have all the skills to be an excellent NFL tight end, but his value at this moment is in perceived promise rather than actual production."

Apr 15 - 5:59 PM
Source: CBS Sports
Minnesota TE Maxx Williams "needs to improve his route running in order to become a more complete receiving threat," according to NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein.

"Pass-catching, move tight end with straight-line play speed and an ability to stretch defenses deep. Williams comes from NFL bloodlines and has the self confidence often found in a former player's son, but he needs to improve his route running in order to become a more complete receiving threat," Zierlein wrote. The 6-foot-4, 249-pound Williams recorded nine catches of 25 yards or more in 2014, which led all college tight ends. Williams could come off the board, at the back end of the first round.

Mar 19 - 3:42 PM
Source: NFL.com
An NFC regional scout said members of his team were "a little turned off" by Minnesota tight end Maxx Williams.

"That Minnesota tight end came across as all about himself from what people in our room said. They were a little turned off by him," the scout said. Of course, one could choose to perceive this news positively, as Williams' on-field confidence is one reason that he's considered a borderline first-rounder. "While we weren't in the rooms during interviews, we understand that there is a fine line between arrogance and confidence," wrote NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein. "However, almost every team would rather default to a player with ego over a player lacking confidence. We contacted one general manager to get his take and he had no problems with his interview with Williams, but he didn't think Williams' workout went as well as he expected." Williams, who measured in to Indy at 6-foot-4 and 249 pounds, ran an official 4.77 seconds in the forty-yard dash. He fared better in other drills, clocking an impressive 4.37 seconds in the 20-yard shuttle and a 3

Feb 25 - 9:09 PM
Minnesota TE Maxx Williams said his biggest weakness is a lack of strength.

"Being only 20 years old I know my body isn't fully developed to what it could be," said Williams. "But I feel like my biggest weakness could turn into one of my strengths as I get to 21, 22, and get the experience in the weight room developing my body. I think the sky is the limit -- I think I could play at 250, 255, 260, however my body develops." Williams isn't having the best week so far. Though he was lauded for his interviews, he measured in at 6-foot-4 and 249 pounds and then ran an official 4.78 seconds in the forty-yard dash.

Feb 20 - 7:38 PM
CBS Sports' Dane Brugler notes that Minnesota redshirt sophomore TE Maxx Williams compares his skill-set to Dallas Cowboys' TE Jason Witten.

"Williams compares himself to Jason Witten, which is my exact comparison for him. A lot of similarities," Brugler tweeted. The 6-foot-4, 250-pound Williams has been viewed as the No. 1 TE across evaluators' boards. The Minnesota prospect is seen as a move tight end at the next level, and has the ability to create mismatches for linebackers and safeties in the passing game. Williams could potentially hear his name called in the back end of the first round.

Source: Dane Brugler on Twitter
Feb 18 - 4:01 PM
NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein believes Minnesota redshirt sophomore TE Maxx Williams has the "straight-line wheels to beat linebackers and safeties."

"Accelerates to top speed quickly on crossers and speed outs," Zierlein wrote. "Speed to chew up cushion and open a throwing window over the top. Will threaten seam and dominated defenders on wheel routes. Red-zone winner. Can do damage after the catch and shows playmaking aptitude with tight end screens. Extends and goes all out for the catch. Got a foot inbounds on three circus catches." The 6-foot-4, 250-pound Williams is Mel Kiper's No. 1 TE, and colleague Todd McShay's No. 20 overall prospect. McShay believes Williams "bears some similarities to Greg Olsen." Williams has also been compared to Jason Witten and Kyle Rudolph.

Feb 3 - 7:05 PM
Minnesota redshirt sophomore TE Maxx Williams made his debut on Mel Kiper's Big Board at No. 23.

"A very good athlete, Williams can accelerate out of his breaks with a lot more quickness than you would think for a guy playing at 250-plus pounds, and when you factor in a wide catch radius, soft hands and a long frame, he just becomes really hard to keep covered," Kiper wrote. "Linebackers don't stand much of a chance, and Williams is too big for others to handle physically. Now the top tight end on the board." The 6-foot-4, 250-pound Williams is colleague Todd McShay's No. 20 rated prospect. McShay believes Williams "bears some similarities to Greg Olsen." Williams has also been compared to Jason Witten and Kyle Rudolph.

Source: ESPN Insider
Jan 28 - 7:39 PM
Minnesota redshirt sophomore TE Maxx Williams "has soft hands and is a terrific athlete," according to CBS Sports' Rob Rang.

"He's a legitimate tight end who can help as an inline blocker but like Dallas Cowboys' star Jason Witten, Williams will make his mark in the NFL as a reliable security blanket over the middle," Rang wrote. The 6-foot-4, 250-pound Williams earned All-American honors, first-team All-Big Ten honors and was a Mackey Award finalist as a redshirt sophomore. He led the Gophers with 36 catches for 569 yards and eight touchdowns. Williams looks like a decent bet to hear his named called in Round 1.

Source: CBS Sports
Jan 6 - 12:52 PM

Rotoworld:

The Baltimore Sun expects second-round TE Maxx Williams to "work in tandem" with Crockett Gillmore.

As in, Gillmore will throw the blocks and Williams will catch the passes. That's over-simplifying it a bit, as Williams can do a little blocking and Gillmore a little catching, but Williams will be counted on to make plays as a receiver. The No. 99 overall pick of last year's draft, Gillmore caught 10 passes in 15 games behind Owen Daniels and Dennis Pitta. Pitta's (hip) health is the reason Baltimore needed Williams in the first place.

May 3 - 5:18 PM
Gillmore has two seasons at CSU where he caught 45 and 47 balls respectively. I'm not saying he's a better receiver than Williams but he's capable of a more than "a little catching".

I'm in a TE premium league, I think he's a top 10 pick.
There's a disconnect for me between his age-adjusted performance (elite) and his metrics and movement skills on the field. He's worth a shot based on what he's done on the field but he doesn't look the part of elite fantasy TE. He went to a great situation and looks to have a very high floor (low TE1).

There's a disconnect for me between his age-adjusted performance (elite) and his metrics and movement skills on the field. He's worth a shot based on what he's done on the field but he doesn't look the part of elite fantasy TE. He went to a great situation and looks to have a very high floor (low TE1).
Pure physical talent, he's on par with Zach Ertz. What don't you like about his movement skills?

Rotoworld:

Maxx Williams - TE - Ravens

Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome expects second-round TE Maxx Williams to make a rookie impact on third downs and in the red zone.

Those are the money downs. It's not surprising, as Williams is a smooth pass catcher with huge hands (10 3/8") and long arms (33 1/2"). The Ravens are short on playmaking pass catchers. Williams will be given every opportunity to make a first-year impact.

Source: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

May 12 - 6:32 PM

Xue said:
cstu said:
PatsWillWin said:
Pure physical talent, he's on par with Zach Ertz. What don't you like about his movement skills?
He looked very stiff in the drills at the combine.

Admittedly my expectations were raised by what he did in college (career 16.2 YPR and 13 TD's as only a 20 year old sophomore).

He looks to have a long career but I was hoping for a little more than a slower Ertz.

I haven't drafted him anywhere, so I'm fairly unbiased.

I think you can look at his tape, and even as amateurs we can see the athleticism as it translates on the field. You'd like to see guys look natural and really flow at the combine, but in pads Williams made some truly acrobatic catches and looked nimble along the sidelines for his size.

Plus, there are plenty of guys I'd argue were criticized as being "stiff" coming out. Gronk, for one. He's much more powerful than Williams though. Heath Miller comes to mind. There are others. Lots of TE's are more straight-line athletes than their WR counterparts. So even though I don't agree that Williams is stiff or unathletic, with his size and receiving ability, even without speed, he'd be capable of producing.

Ravens' roster reset - tight end

Excerpt:

Analysis: If he’s healthy enough to play, Pitta is a lock to make the 53. However, Pitta’s status remains a major question mark after his second major hip surgery. Even if he doesn’t play this season, Pitta will be placed on the physically unable to perform list.

That would leave Williams, Gillmore, and Boyle to handle the tight end duties. Williams is the best pass-catching tight end on the roster and figures to play a major role as a rookie. That’s why the Ravens traded up to get him in the second round. Expect Williams to get a crash course in the Ravens’ offense all summer, catching plenty of footballs from Joe Flacco before, during, and after practices. The Ravens hope Williams becomes what Owen Daniels was last season – a reliable target in key situations. If Williams is as good as advertised, then Gillmore and Boyle can be primarily blocking tight ends. If Williams struggles or suffers an injury, the Ravens may use more three-wide sets and fewer two tight-end sets.

Flacco loves throwing to tight ends, as does new offensive coordinator Marc Trestman. That’s why Williams’ development is key. The quicker he makes an impact, the better the Ravens' offense.

i'm just stubborn, i think, but i'm not giving up on Gilmore. he can block and catch (two seasons with 40+ catches in college). he's reasonably athletic for a guy his size at the position. i know maxx got picked higher (and they traded up) but i think Gillmore is being overlooked.

I believe he's better than Kyle Rudolph already and wish the Vikings had drafted him. Williams was literally the only threat at all in a terrible Gophers passing game and still produced, oftentimes spectacularly and in critical, must-have situations.

He is still not selected as of pick 2.10 in 12 team ppr (no TE bonus). If you selected him in your dynasty league rookie draft, what pick was it and who did you pass on to select him?

He is still not selected as of pick 2.10 in 12 team ppr (no TE bonus). If you selected him in your dynasty league rookie draft, what pick was it and who did you pass on to select him?
Haven't drafted yet - but if he is there at 2.03 I'll be all over that. Rather take the top TE prospect at that point than questionable RB/WR's.

12 team as well, but 1ppr for TE as compared to .5ppr for other skill positions. He would sit behind Kelce and Ertz on my squad, but top TE's get have huge trade value in my league.

He should be gone in your league IMO - even without a TE bonus.

I took him in 2.03 in a TE-required league (no premium), but I'm struggling on how to value him in leagues that combine WR/TE.

To put in comparison, Gronk was WR10, Gates was WR16, Graham was WR20, Olsen was WR25, and Bennett was WR32. So there's definitely value there, and a lot of these guys are criminally undervalued by the rest of the league because TE isn't required.

Still, I somehow have trouble getting excited about getting "Witten" or "Pitta" vs. the risk/reward on a guy like Conley, Devin Smith, or Coates... guys I'm seriously considering taking over him which will be available in late 2nd in these leagues.

Good feedback. Line up in this league is q-r-r-w-w-t-f-d/st-k. Flex can be r-w-te.

On my team he would sit behind J.Graham, Kielce, and Julius Thomas. I have Jordan Reed too but he is starting to look like an oft injured what could have been. Adding Mad Maxx would force me to work a trade to thin my te corps.

IF Pita doesn't come back, I think you're going to see a lot of this kid in the Ravens offense. When Joe finds a guy he trusts to catch the ball, he'll put it on that guy a lot. Plus there should be more passing overall just due to Trestman's offense.

He went 2.01 in our 16 team IDP league, you can flex a TE and bonus ppr for TE. I wanted to pick him at 2.03, had to settle for Dorsett.

I took him at 1.12 in one of my FFPC TE Premium leagues.

I decided to take him 2.11 in 12 team ppr with no bonus 1 te in lineup requirement.

I passed on Buck Allen & Devin Smith. Allen seems like North Carolina rb Johnny White from 2011 and Bilal Powell from the Jets. Just a guy type backs. Not bad and not great. Do I would rather not get swept up with their undeserving hype with better prospects on the board.

Smith should be picked by now. I just don't want another wr. I drafted 2 rookie wr's already.

Maxx is one of the safest (highest ceiling with guaranteed usage) prospects in this class given his skill set, competition for targets, draft position, and organizational and coaching stability. He's right up there with Agholor in my opinion.

The consensus is down on him due to a poor combine showing but he looks better on tape than he tested, and he's very young (just turned 21). Underrated upside, and I can't believe he's falling to the end of the 2nd in many rookie drafts

16 team IDP. I moved up from 2.10 to 2.05 to take him gave up Jerod Mayo and 2.10 to move up. I have Bennett and Amaro allready at tight end so I can be patient with his development..... I guess I made the move because I decided he shouldn't keep sliding and at 21st overall he presented good value.

Users who are viewing this thread