What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Matt Jones, Colts (1 Viewer)

ZWK

Footballguy
RB Matt Jones was a surprise 3rd round pick out of Florida. It's tempting to dismiss him as an NFL prospect, given that the pick seemed to come out of nowhere, but I basically did that with Stevan Ridley a few years back and that proved to be a mistake.

Anyone want to try to make a case for Jones?

Pros:

3rd round pick

231 pounds

generated a lot of yards after contact against Kentucky (the one game of his which has cutups online)

Cons:

less than 1600 yards from scrimmage total in his 3 years at Florida (297/1431/11 rushing + 19/100/1 receiving)

ran for only 4.8 yards per carry

averaged only 5.3 yards per reception

below average athleticism in every combine drill

below average conversion rate in short yardage & red zone rushing in 2014 (see row 74)

CFF graded him in the negatives (below average for a college RB) as a runner, receiver, and blocker

In his favor, these mediocre numbers don't rule him out entirely. Stevan Ridley had similarly unimpressive college stats (including a worse conversion rate on 3rd & short). Jeremy Hill, Mark Ingram, and BenJarvus Green-Ellis had similar combine numbers. And I have generally found successful big backs hard to pick out - Alfred Morris, Arian Foster, and Le'Veon Bell didn't look particularly impressive as prospects, by the numbers that I looked at.

That still doesn't feel like a very strong case for Jones. Can anyone do better?

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't get this pick at all. I'd much rather have Javorius Allen, in Dynasty and real life.

When Wash took him my initial thought was why are taking a FB so high? The more I look at it I can see him as part of a RBBC in a role like L. White.

I know nothing about him but at first glance is he a heavier, less athletic version of Alf? If so, not a bad backup I guess but shouldn't be a threat until Morris looks to the next contract. (Next year?)

I personally think Silas Redd will have a bigger role than Jones. He looked decent last year.
Deep sleeper. Every time I see him he looks good.
He did look pretty good last year, but Jones will get on the field more starting on passing downs due to his superior blocking and receiving ability. Redd has an uphill battle for touches between Morris and Jones, but I love having him on the roster because if Morris goes down, Redd is the closest thing to Morris we have and would slot in pretty well as an early down RB.

The guy to really watch as a versatile weapon in preseason is Trey Williams, UDFA. I think he'll easily beat out Chris Thompson for the small/quick/fast playmaker spot that Thompson has never lived up to, and if he's good enough there and returning kicks he could force McCloughan to keep 4 RB's.

Rotoworld:

Matt Jones - RB - Redskins

Coach Jay Gruden wouldnt rule out third-round RB Matt Jones cutting into Alfred Morris workload.

"We'll see," Gruden said. "That's what training camp is for. We've been very impressed." Jones isnt likely to see significant rookie-year carries behind Morris, but has good receiving skills for a power back and can hold up in pass protection. He could be an option to replace Morris on third downs over Silas Redd or Chris Thompson. Jones is locked in as the top handcuff to Morris.

Source: CSN Washington

May 16 - 7:10 PM

Rotoworld:

CSN Washington's Tarik El-Bashir believes rookie RB Matt Jones will have "a bigger role in 2015 than some are anticipating."

El-Bashir concedes Alfred Morris is the starter but believes Jones will earn snaps as a third-down back. El-Bashir's colleague Rich Tandler agrees, saying Jones "will spend a lot of time catching passes and doing what he can to master pass protection" this offseason. Morris should be the early-down thumper, but he offers almost nothing in the passing game. If Jones is a quick study in pass protection, he should beat out Silas Redd and Chris Thompson for third-down duties.

Related: Alfred Morris

Source: CSN Washington
May 23 - 10:45 AM

Rotoworld:

Redskins rookie RB Matt Jones expects to push Alfred Morris in training camp.

"I'm just grinding every day to be the starter," Jones said. "I will put some pressure on Alfred." The Redskins view Jones as the favorite for third-down duties, but he remains the clear No. 2 back behind Morris. Jones has potential to cut into Morris’s workload with a strong camp.

Source: Washington Post
Jun 17 - 5:07 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN Redskins reporter John Keim projects third-round pick Matt Jones as the team's third-down back.

The Redskins love Jones' physical pass blocking and were impressed by his pass catching at spring practices. Keim believes Jones could steal a handful of carries per game from Alfred Morris, but isn't a true threat to Morris' bellcow role. Jones will be a worth late-round handcuff for 2015 Morris owners.

Source: ESPN.com
Jun 21 - 4:35 PM

After Alfred Morris, the Redskins RBs are inexperienced but intriguingExcerpts:

Up for grabs: The third-down role needs to be finalized, but that is a reason why they selected Jones, so he'll be the one to beat in this competition. Jones is a big back, but he has nimble feet for a guy his size. He only caught 19 passes at Florida, but the Gators had terrible quarterback play and they rarely looked at Jones (would have helped had they not forced so many bad throws downfield). The others can challenge for time here as well. Redd showed flashes in 2014 and Thompson/Williams both have the quick feet coaches love in a spread formation. But Thompson has to prove he can stay durable and, then, produce when given the chance.
Jones' impact: It's impossible to know at this point how much work Jones will receive. They drafted him in the third round for a reason, but that doesn't guarantee anything. Jones has terrific size, but he was not a special runner in college. He did have some games where he was fantastic and others where he had little impact. Perhaps that's why I heard very split opinions on him after the draft: Some teams didn't like him at all; the Redskins clearly did. But after watching him in college I think he can help on third downs. The question then becomes: Will he just be Roy Helu 2.0 or someone who gets a chance for more than a handful of carries per game?

Rotoworld:

Matt Jones - RB - Redskins

The Redskins want third-round RB Matt Jones to run with more "violence."

GM Scot McCloughan has called Jones a Marshawn Lynch-type talent, but he's apparently not there yet in the ferocity department. Jones already has the inside track on third-down duties, but a preseason of trucking and dragging defenders could earn him some of Alfred Morris' touches on early downs.

Source: Washington Post

Aug 8 - 11:11 AM

Rotoworld:

Rookie RB Matt Jones rushed for 38 yards on five carries in the Redskins' preseason opener Thursday night.

He added an 11-yard catch. Jones was the third back into the game behind starter Alfred Morris and Chris Thompson, though we wouldn't read too much into it. Jones easily outplayed Thompson and should comfortably pass him on the depth chart. The 95th pick in May's draft, Jones showed off his running ability on his first carry, taking it 23 yards. He should have a role come Week 1.

Aug 13 - 10:37 PM

I really like Jones, especially for his price (talking dynasty). The first thing that popped into my head when I started scouting him is he does remind you a lot of Lynch. The receiving ability he's shown in camp is a bonus.

Underrated, late bloomer, perfect dynasty stash, IMO.

He looked good. Didn't do anything amazing, but he looked like an NFL RB. Showed balance, vision, toughness.

Yeah, liked what I saw from him last night. Hard to get too excited about 1 preseason game but he looked like he belongs on the field. Sometimes with guys drafted in his range that's enough to feel good.

He looked pretty decent. Ripped off the "play of the day" run in the 3rd quarter. Then had ~2 more carries and left for the night with "concussion-like symptoms".

I haven't heard anything about it reported since then, but that was what they said during the game broadcast.

Not watching. Is it clear yet whether chris thompson or jones will be used as 3rd down/passing down back?
Likely Thompson.
Why do you say that? Not saying that you are wrong, I just have heard the opposite from most sources. Is it a blocking issue?
I'm quite sure one of his most appealing asset as a rookie is that he's a +pass blocker. The dude is 6'2 231 and knows how to use his body.

Not watching. Is it clear yet whether chris thompson or jones will be used as 3rd down/passing down back?
Likely Thompson.
Why do you say that? Not saying that you are wrong, I just have heard the opposite from most sources. Is it a blocking issue?
I'm quite sure one of his most appealing asset as a rookie is that he's a +pass blocker. The dude is 6'2 231 and knows how to use his body.
I really like Jones and have been drafting him late for awhile. Well, at least since Woodhead/Helu drifted up draftboards a month ago. The Lynch comment and his potential role in the passing game seemed like there was enough potential there for RBBC. I would be more afraid of Morris having a huge role if WAS was better and expected to be playing with a lead much of the time.

I like Matt Jones but he better take care of that football. He had a couple of fumbles that he recovered himself tonight. I think he will end up taking much of Alfred's role this season as the Redskins try to copy the Cowboys by trying to pound the rock. Matt Jones looks better than Alfred and can catch the ball. The problem is that I don't know if they have the offensive line piece. You can't maintain a running game if you are losing yards to sacks. On the plus side their defense could keep the games close if they can get and stay healthy.

He's decent enough at catching the ball and he's a pretty good pass protector. Also a plus in Jones's favor: he was drafted kind of high(two picks from being a 4th) by Scot McCloughan, a guy with an exceptional drafting record with the Seahawks and 9ers.

Seattle; had a hand in bringing Wilson and Sherman despite multiple objections and also pushed hard for the Lynch trade

9ers-Alex Smith, Vernon Davis, Crabtree, Delanie Walker, Frank Gore. Not bad.

In dynasty, I like grabbing both guys. Morris walks and starts for a new team next year and Jones become their main guy

drum beat getting a little louder....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2555096-washington-redskins-preseason-week-3-stock-report/page/2

There hasn't been much to like about Washington's offense this preseason, except for the running game and specifically Matt Jones.

This year's third-round pick has been an effective sledgehammer through the first two weeks. As expected, the 6'2", 231-pounder is battering would-be tacklers.

But what's most impressive is how quickly Jones is getting through the line. His acceleration from the handoff and quick first step are putting him beyond the first wave of defenders where his size can do real damage.

Head coach Jay Gruden is already an admirer of the former Florida runner, per CSNMidAtlantic.com's Rich Tandler: “Matt Jones continues to hit the hole the way we want him to—hard. He gets through the second level, he’s a problem.”

Tandler speculated about Jones' role once the real action begins. It's a reasonable question considering Alfred Morris' status as Washington's primary ball-carrier.

But Gruden spelled out how he sees things working with Jones in the fold:

Right now I would say more of a relief back. Take some load off of Alfred late in the game or the second quarter here and there, spell him from time-to-time. Alfred is doing so good and has been in such good shape, it is hard to take him out of the game on first or second down.
That statement appears to apply pressure on Jones to widen his skill set for third-down work. But he can at least start life as a pro by handling short-yardage chores.

Ultimately, the goal ought to be something close to a split of the carries between the rookie and Morris. That way, defenses will have two punishing rushing threats to account for.

Based on what he's showing this preseason, Jones appears ready for that kind of future.

Gruden isn't going to come out during training camp and say that his raw rookie is going to take significant playing time away from his starting RB. Maybe there are all sorts of motivational tactics involved here that we aren't privy too - whether to send a message to Jones that he needs to improve his game or to put Morris on notice that this kid is real.

There are plenty of preseason stars that so far haven't amounted to much (Christine Michael of two years ago being a prime example). Jones looked good the other day. And reports that he will/could be the third down back (it certainly won't be Morris) are encouraging. I like these kind of high upside RBs that already have a defined role but could be more. Jones (and also Roy Helu) has the body type to be a three down back. So you take them knowing that they'll be involved as a pass catcher, and then if the starter faulters or gets injured, there is a chance for so much more.

Gruden isn't going to come out during training camp and say that his raw rookie is going to take significant playing time away from his starting RB. Maybe there are all sorts of motivational tactics involved here that we aren't privy too - whether to send a message to Jones that he needs to improve his game or to put Morris on notice that this kid is real.

There are plenty of preseason stars that so far haven't amounted to much (Christine Michael of two years ago being a prime example). Jones looked good the other day. And reports that he will/could be the third down back (it certainly won't be Morris) are encouraging. I like these kind of high upside RBs that already have a defined role but could be more. Jones (and also Roy Helu) has the body type to be a three down back. So you take them knowing that they'll be involved as a pass catcher, and then if the starter faulters or gets injured, there is a chance for so much more.
I'm sure he has work to do but I like buying a lottery ticket on young guys with good camps with unclear future backfields. He certainly isn't going to take over the job right off the bat and likely never will but you never know.

Gruden really feels like one of those coaches that values "his players in his system". Watching the way they used Morris last year it doesn't feel like he views Morris that way. He frequently went to Redd or Young in short yardage situations (with limited success) and Helu in passing downs and hurry-up. I'm not saying Morris should be a 3 down back but it was frustrating watching Helu missing blocking assignments and getting QB's blown up.

It's a shame because Morris is both a great guy and an underrated player, but I don't think he has a role in the Skins long term plans.

Users who are viewing this thread