What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Most bummed/sad you ever were over a NFL player you liked? (1 Viewer)

1. Derrick Thomas

2. Bo Jackson

3. Barry Sanders

4. Walter Payton not getting the ball at the goal line in SB

Last edited by a moderator:
Favre.

I can look back with clarity and understand the business decisions for both sides. The nail in the coffin was when he went to Minnesota. I'm glad to see both sides mending fences.

Nothing could equal MJ retiring and playing baseball.

I remember being upset with the 49ers for letting Joe Montana go, if that counts.

Might not be the biggest downer, but LeSean McCoy and his comments since he's been traded have been pretty hard to hear.

I have a signed McCoy football on display in my house. My fiance knows someone that works for the Eagles and they got Shady to sign it free of charge. Before he opened his mouth, he was at least an Eagle all-time great. Now I don't know what to do with the damn thing...

1. Derrick Thomas

2. Bo Jackson

3. Barry Sanders

4. Walter Payton not getting the ball at the goal line in SB
Good start. Bo and Barry came to mind immediately.

Nothing could equal MJ retiring and playing baseball.

I remember being upset with the 49ers for letting Joe Montana go, if that counts.
You're right, SGT Tillman getting killed far surpasses MJ.

and then there's OJ

Brian Dawkins and Reggie White. Two of the greatest Eagles ever, and we just let them walk out the door. Reggie's departure was something that you could see coming, as he publicly fought for free agency, then went on a tour of various teams before settling on the Packers. Letting him walk was the most egregious of Norman Braman's many mistakes, and I was happy for him when he got that Super Bowl ring.

Dawkins' exit was so sudden and unexpected, it still hurts. We had just assumed that a deal would get done, then Denver gave him a huge offer and he took it. I can still remember the shock that registered when I heard he was gone. To this day the team has not come close to replacing him.

On an even sadder note, RIP Jerome Brown.

There are lots. Reaching back a bit further there was a Chiefs RB (Joe Delaney I believe) who drowned trying to save someone else. He was promising and lost his life trying to save someone else's.

I think finding out about Lawrence Taylor's problems kind of inured me to any other serious letdown. I mean, the guy was really troubled, and I loved watching him play as a kid.

Tillman, B. Sanders, and Bo were all sad and bummers in very different ways (obviously).

Favre.

I can look back with clarity and understand the business decisions for both sides. The nail in the coffin was when he went to Minnesota. I'm glad to see both sides mending fences.
Favre also (probably) harassed a bunch of women.

Fortunately, Aaron Rodgers is perfect in every way.

The dissolution of the Pittsburgh Pirates team of early 90's that had Bobby Bonilla, Barry Bonds, Andy Van Slyke, Jay Bell, Doug Drabek, and Jimmy Leyland. That breakup led to over 20 years of Bucco angst.

ETA: I was sad the way Terry Bradshaw was forced to retire with his elbow injury and Jack Lambert with a toe injury and bitter that Rod Woodson had a few good years left when the Steelers did not resign him.

1. Pat Tillman
  2. Derrick Thomas
All the other players that made career decisions, finance decisions, had decisions made for them or got hurt, I can live with because that's the nature of the business.

This is gonna be a outlier: Jim McMahon. The '86 injury by the coward Charles Martin, the constant battle with what would ultimately be the most overrated coach of all time, then bouncing around the league until winning another Superbowl as the backup in '96 and retiring. Now knowing that he basically can't tell one day from the other.

This is gonna be a outlier: Jim McMahon. The '86 injury by the coward Charles Martin, the constant battle with what would ultimately be the most overrated coach of all time, then bouncing around the league until winning another Superbowl as the backup in '96 and retiring. Now knowing that he basically can't tell one day from the other.
You know, talk about a play that changed the course of franchises. All this talk about Patriots letting air of the balls and did that possibly change anything, this was a case where it clearly changed things.

I was thinking in terms of on the field stuff when I read the question so I'll say Franco Harris in a Seahawks uni. Rod Woodson as a Raven sucked too.

How has nobody mentioned Sean Taylor yet? Freak athlete in the priime of his career, died in the middle of the season...

How has nobody mentioned Sean Taylor yet? Freak athlete in the priime of his career, died in the middle of the season...
Man, I wasn't a Redskins fan or anything... but I loved watching Sean Taylor play. I was in my mid-late twenties thinking, "You know what, this is my favorite player to watch."

Eugene Robinson - arrested for soliciting an undercover cop posing a a prostitute on the eve of the Super Bowl, just hours before being announced as the winner of the Bart Starr award for the NFL Player with outstanding character and leadership. (Should have been handed a Darwin for that one).

Bo Jackson, not even close. I don't think people now realize what an amazing talent he was. Never saw anyone dominate like he could, not even AP. I remember watching a Monday night game with him and Barry.

Speaking of which, I was happy when Sanders retired. They wasted his career. Horrible front office, horrible owner, horrible coach and almost no talent outside of the odd wr. I was glad that he got away from them and left on top.

pghrob said:
The dissolution of the Pittsburgh Pirates team of early 90's that had Bobby Bonilla, Barry Bonds, Andy Van Slyke, Jay Bell, Doug Drabek, and Jimmy Leyland. That breakup led to over 20 years of Bucco angst.

ETA: I was sad the way Terry Bradshaw was forced to retire with his elbow injury and Jack Lambert with a toe injury and bitter that Rod Woodson had a few good years left when the Steelers did not resign him.
I was thinking football only before, but the most I have ever been saddened was by the death of Roberto Clemente. I wasn't very old then, but I remember how badly I felt. I loved the Pirates back then and Clemente was the best player I can remember.

Plus he died while on a humanitarian mission to Nicaragua. Very sad day.

Barry and I don't think it's close. I was a huge Desmond fan as a kid so his NFL career was really disappointing, but he kind of salvaged it in the Super Bowl.

Users who are viewing this thread