What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tom Brady ONCE AGAIN suspended 4 games (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
I dunno, I enjoy the Shark Pool from time to time but it's kind of a cesspool as well. I'm more interested to find out what the FFA people think about this situation without all that clutter.

What should be done about this? I honestly don't know what I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno, I enjoy the Shark Pool from time to time but it's kind of a cesspool as well. I'm more interested to find out what the FFA people think about this situation without all that clutter.

What should be done about this? I honestly don't know what I think.
I agree that the Shark Pool is kind of a cesspool.

Sounds like he was/is kind of a p-rick (shocks no one) to the equipment guys. For that alone he should be banned for life.

Tim --

Have you ever considered a career as an NFL equipment manager? I'm fairly sure there are going to be two openings in the near future. I'm sure lots of us would gladly write letters or recommendation on your behalf.

Based on the nature of the offense, and how the league has handled "integrity of the game" issues in the past, seems like 4-8 games would be the expected punishment. But, given the Pats are the defending champs and will play on opening night, I think Goodell comes up with some bs excuse not to suspend him at all. He can say there's no direct proof that Brady was involved. That would be the dirtbag weasel type of move we'd expect from Goodell. #### him imo. ####### jackass.

Also Tim I think you're a National Treasure, although in fairness I'm in New Orleans and I've had 4 of these ridiculous rum drinks so far. We saw Archie Manning's house!!!!!!!!!!&

Based on the nature of the offense, and how the league has handled "integrity of the game" issues in the past, seems like 4-8 games would be the expected punishment. But, given the Pats are the defending champs and will play on opening night, I think Goodell comes up with some bs excuse not to suspend him at all. He can say there's no direct proof that Brady was involved. That would be the dirtbag weasel type of move we'd expect from Goodell. #### him imo. ####### jackass.
Keep in mind Ray Rice got what? 2 games for knocking his fiance out cold?

4 - 8 would be laughable considering far worse offenders get far less penalties. Deflating footballs doesn't seem so bad.

He shouldn't be suspended. Give him a million dollar fine, if he must be punished.

4 - 8 would be laughable considering far worse offenders get far less penalties. Deflating footballs doesn't seem so bad.
If you are trying to look at other suspension to figure out what this one might be the Cleveland GM got 4 games for texting his Coach to run the ball more.

Heard a couple places the theory that he will have to get something a) because he's white and players may see it as racist if he gets off Scott-free and b) because Kraft is tight with Goodell and that might look like that had some affect.

While I don't think in the A situation, his race has anything to do with punishment, players who don't think straight anyway might think that and go off.

Another thing I heard is this could end Goodell's career as Commish. Since he PO'd Kraft, when his contract comes up in a year or two, they may say "thanks for your service" and look for a new guy.

Heard a couple places the theory that he will have to get something a) because he's white and players may see it as racist if he gets off Scott-free and b) because Kraft is tight with Goodell and that might look like that had some affect.

While I don't think in the A situation, his race has anything to do with punishment, players who don't think straight anyway might think that and go off.

Another thing I heard is this could end Goodell's career as Commish. Since he PO'd Kraft, when his contract comes up in a year or two, they may say "thanks for your service" and look for a new guy.
There's one difference between Sharkpool and FFA. Don't think race has been mentioned in there, took about 20 posts in here.

There's one difference between Sharkpool and FFA. Don't think race has been mentioned in there, took about 20 posts in here.
I didn't say I believed it, just that some may perceive it as that. Hey didn't LaSean McCoy just insinuate his former coach was racist?

now imagine he is black

What does it matter? They're not going to vacate any championships so who cares. Would you trade a 4 or 8 game suspension and a pick in next year's draft for a Super Bowl? I would.

As long as Brady/Belichick/Kraft continue to get slapped on the wrist for cheating in playoff and championship games what will change? Absolutely nothing.

Why should they have any fear at all? Who talks about spygate anymore (except when they cheat again and it gets brought back up)? It's discussed about 1/100th of the amount of times their Super Bowls are discussed.

They're just playing the odds and winning. Unless you get a strong commissioner in there and someone loses something that hurts enough it wont stop.

I didn't say I believed it, just that some may perceive it as that. Hey didn't LaSean McCoy just insinuate his former coach was racist?
Just making an observation. Race along with pooping and Radiohead are always topics du jour in here.

What should be done? I think the AFC East has been asking that question for 15 years now. They've tried improving their defensive lines. They've tried investing in secondary help but ultimately it was only injury that could slow him down. They probably won't be able to do anything about him till he retires.

If you are trying to look at other suspension to figure out what this one might be the Cleveland GM got 4 games for texting his Coach to run the ball more.
Yeah, #### with the outcome of actual games all you want. But if you smoke cannabis on your own time you're out for half a season at least, more if you've been caught doing it before.

suspended the GM for 4 games impacts the team how, exactly? Might be one of the least impactful punishments ever given out.

That tattoo in that location is just a bad idea for so many reasons. For instance, I have to believe it would divert attention from your pal's desired target whenever ladies visit those environs.

Just making an observation. Race along with pooping and Radiohead are always topics du jour in here.
That's cool, sarcasm and such doesn't translate well online!!!

Back to the conversation my favorite penalty for Brady...http://nyr.kr/1GPZhna

photo-thumb-219.jpg
Posted by Ditkaless Wonders on 06 May 2015 - 07:42 PM in The Shark Pool (NFL Talk)

I would hate to see any penalties massively effect the competitive balance of the league. A long suspension of Tom Brady would do that. His suspension would inure to the unearned benefit of the teams the Patriots face during that time. Let's pretend, for instance that Pittsburgh and the Ravens are each expected to tie, at 9-7 for the last wild card place before this happens. Now the Steelers get to face the Pats w/o Brady, while hypothetically the Ravens do not. Suddenly the Steelers are likely one game improved, and they improve the tiebreaker of conference record. That's huge. Given this, I believe Brady should be suspended for the first quarter of each of the Pats home games this year. That would amount to 8 quarters, a relatively minor amount, but would be more evenly distributed. I also like this because Pat apologists have been saying any advantage was minimal while others have argued it was cumulative and substantial over time. This remedy would help with understanding that dynamic.

Next, fines, schmines. Do it if you must, but it does not hurt the Pats and does not address competitive balance.

As to draft choices, I hate wiping out a choice, or choices. That is too substantial. Instead, going with our established principle of minimalism, but also of real consequences, I say that next year the Patriots have their starting draft position, whatever it is, moved down two places. If they would have drafted 1st, they now draft 3rd, if 20th then 22nd, and if 32 then 34th. Throughout the remainder of the draft they do not get the next pick at an interval of 32, but rather at an interval of 34. This is a small, but real punishment.

As to other penalties, I believe they should be dinged in the salary cap for the next three years, nothing substantial, say they should have their cap reduced by a mere 2%. Again, since small advantages or disadvantages are irrelevant according to some this should be of no concern. It should also not concern anyone if they lose any compensatory picks they might have received over the next three years. Finally, they have offended against every team in the league, not much, but some. Given this, the first time they play any team from now on, until they have played each team once, they will have their game day roster reduced by 1 player for that first, post deflate-gate, meeting. It is a small, insignificant thing, but is symbolic and perhaps is some form of restorative justice.

Any Pats fans who have previously argued the cheating was insignificant surely cannot object to this well retrained approach, much more restrained than some I have seen. It also presents previously unexplored punishment options which this league might find advantageous now and in the future.

DW, I'm not saying that Brady should be suspended (I'm honestly not sure) but I don't find your concern about competitive balance to be compelling. A few years back Ben Roethlisberger was penalized for 4 games. Last year Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson were suspended. Of course the loss of these key players led to losses that might have been wins and so affected the competitive balance of the league. That's just the way it is; I don't believe the NFL commissioner should take that particular issue into account when making this decision.

One possible punishment that nobody is discussing- the NCAA bans teams from bowl games. What if the Patriots, this coming season, were banned from the playoffs?

I would hate to see any penalties massively effect the competitive balance of the league. A long suspension of Tom Brady would do that. His suspension would inure to the unearned benefit of the teams the Patriots face during that time.
Yeah, that would almost be like cheating.

One possible punishment that nobody is discussing- the NCAA bans teams from bowl games. What if the Patriots, this coming season, were banned from the playoffs?
No chance. They'll suspend Brady before they make it so a team is banned from the playoffs.

What I love about this is the penalty could be a small fine or Brady banned for the entire season and either way I wouldn't be surprised. NFL front office is pure chaos.

What I love about this is the penalty could be a small fine or Brady banned for the entire season and either way I wouldn't be surprised. NFL front office is pure chaos.
Unless you can cite precedent that should be followed I don't see how the possible range of punishments demonstrate that the NFL front office is in pure chaos. The fact that you can envision those possibilities (and the arguments that can be made in favor of each of them) kind of demonstrates the difficult position they are in.

Users who are viewing this thread