What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Rap/Hip Hop Discussion Thread*** (2 Viewers)

Buckfast 1

Footballguy
I feel like we could use a general rap/hip hop discussion thread around here instead of starting different threads about each individual artist (i.e., the Kendrick Lamar and Run the Jewels threads), which always seem to devolve into a broader rap discussion.

What are you guys listening to these days?

I've had a pretty great run of rap concerts since last summer:

Outkast (2x - Denver and Las Vegas)
Nas (2x - at Red Rocks and performing Illmatic in its entirety in Denver)
Run the Jewels
Ghostface Killah & Raekwon
Jurassic 5, Dilated Peoples
Tech N9ne, Krizz Kaliko (backed by a live band)
The Roots
Talib Kweli
Yelawolf, Rittz
Rittz, Crooked I
Spose

Last edited by a moderator:
Now this thread is what I've been waiting for! I know the user base here is a bit more rock/radio leaning, so a solid dedicated topic is exciting.

Not generally much of a concert person but I did see Nas when he came up to my spot in Upstate NY last summer.

I listen to everyone really. But try to stay away from radio. It's all awful these days. Haven't listened to radio in 5+ years now. Always rolling with my mp3. Yes I still use mp3. But the mixtape/independent scene is where all the gems of the genre are hidden these days.

I definitely recommend checking out Tech N9Ne's new Special Effects record that was released last week, as I think it is one of his most complete albums to date. The album features Tech's rapid-fire chopper flow with a lot of thoughtful, introspective lyrics over beats with influences from a variety of different genres of music (rock, metal, gospel, electronic). The album has a pretty interesting guest list, which includes Eminem, B.o.B, Lil Wayne, T.I., Hopsin, 2 Chainz, E-40, and Corey Taylor from Slipknot. Here a few links to some songs from the record:

Tech N9ne ft. Krizz Kaliko & Eminem - "Speedom (WWC2)"

Tech N9ne - "Aw Yeah (interVENTion)"

Jedi Mind Tricks is coming to Denver on June 10.

I would like to see them in NY but debating whether it is really worth the total cost.

I would like to see them in NY but debating whether it is really worth the total cost.
I have actually been eyeing that Jedi Mind Tricks show. One of my favorite local rap groups Flowalition is opening for them in Denver. I was really impressed with Flowalition when they opened for Ghostface and Raekwon last month. Their style should mesh well with Jedi Mind Trick's.

"I mean, I've had enough of bloody rap. I mean, 'Mary had a little lamb, his fleece was white as fu**in' snow.' What's the attraction of that? This is kindergarten s**t."

- keith richards

"I mean, I've had enough of bloody rap. I mean, 'Mary had a little lamb, his fleece was white as fu**in' snow.' What's the attraction of that? This is kindergarten s**t."

- keith richards
:lmao:

Keith Richards can't expect everyone to write lyrics as intricate and complex as his own:

"I can't get no satisfaction

I can't get no satisfaction

'Cause I try and I try and I try and I try

I can't get no, I can't get no"

I have actually been eyeing that Jedi Mind Tricks show. One of my favorite local rap groups Flowalition is opening for them in Denver. I was really impressed with Flowalition when they opened for Ghostface and Raekwon last month. Their style should mesh well with Jedi Mind Trick's.
Am I safe in assuming that Jus Allah has been officially given the boot from the live shows as well? That guy really sucks.

Btw, PSA for anyone in Philadelphia who is not aware of radio station 107.9. I only just heard it a couple weeks ago, but they switched to a classic hip-hop format in November. Just 1 of 3 stations in the country with this format. Awesome stuff.

Am I safe in assuming that Jus Allah has been officially given the boot from the live shows as well? That guy really sucks.
Yeah, JMT is apparently back to the original duo of Vinnie Paz and Stoupe.

I feel like we could use a general rap/hip hop discussion thread around here instead of starting different threads about each individual artist (i.e., the Kendrick Lamar and Run the Jewels threads), which always seem to devolve into a broader rap discussion.

What are you guys listening to these days?
I am listening to "To Pimp a Butterfly" these days. Since it was released in late March, it has been the only album I have listened to except for one night when I listened to "Nocturnal" by Heltah Skeltah.

I saw Yelawolf in concert last week. If you have never seen Yelawolf live, I definitely recommend it. He puts on a really unique and entertaining show with a turntable and live instruments, including an upright bass guitar. I don't think there is anyone else out there currently doing what Yelawolf does at shows. It is just a really unique and innovative blend of hard-hitting, bass-heavy Southern rap beats, Southern rock, and bluegrass/country. His performances of "Pop the Trunk," "Catfish Billy," and "Good to Go" were all incredible to see in concert backed by live instruments. I don't particularly love his new album Love Story (perhaps a bit too much singing/crossover material for me), but I am a big fan of his older stuff, including Trunk Muzik 0-60 and Arena Rap EP.

I also saw Mobb Deep in concert last week. That was some 90's rap bucket list stuff for me. They came out hard with "Survival of the Fittest" and ended strong with "Shook Ones, Part II." I got some high fives from Prodigy and Havoc after the show.

Here's what I've enjoyed listening to over the past week:

A$AP Rocky - At.Long.Last.A$AP

Nappy Roots - The 40 Akerz Project

I said a hip hop, Hippie to the hippie,
The hip, hip a hop, and you don't stop, a rock it
To the bang bang boogie, say, up jump the boogie,
To the rhythm of the boogie, the beat.

ShamrockPride said:
Holy s*** Nappy Roots has a new album out??! Wtf how didn't I know about this...listening asap.
I really like this new Nappy Roots album. It has a different sound than their previous albums, but I am liking the beats from their new producer 808 Blake. I thought this article about the Nappy Roots was interesting look at their roller coaster ballin'-on-a-budget journey over the years leading up to this album:

http://clatl.com/atlanta/the-long-road-to-40-akerz/Content?oid=14026990&showFullText=true

Just listened to the Nappy Roots new album last week, pretty solid album all around.

Others I have been listening to lately: ASAP Rocky, J Cole, Kendrick Lamar, Action Bronson, Earl Sweatshirt, and Childish Gambino

Yeah, JMT is apparently back to the original duo of Vinnie Paz and Stoupe.
New album dropped yesterday. I listened while at work, so not super close. Seemed good, not great, but better than the majority of the past few albums where Stoupe wasn't there. Hoping it will grow on me. Probably nothing will ever live up to Violent by Design, so I will always be disappointed.

Tried to get out of working tonight, but couldn't swing it. At Cervante's, right? Let me know if you go, and how it was.

Tried to get out of working tonight, but couldn't swing it. At Cervante's, right? Let me know if you go, and how it was.
Yeah, I'm going to Jedi Mind Tricks tonight at Cervantes'. I'm excited for it.

I also recently got tickets to see Run the Jewels again this fall at the Ogden in Denver. I highly recommend buying tickets if they are coming through your town.

Yeah, I'm going to Jedi Mind Tricks tonight at Cervantes'. I'm excited for it.

I also recently got tickets to see Run the Jewels again this fall at the Ogden in Denver. I highly recommend buying tickets if they are coming through your town.
Nice!

Btw, I'm in Denver most of the time. I haven't been in concert mode for a while because of work, but I'm about to have more free time in the near future. Please keep posting when good concerts are coming to town, as I'm too lazy to open the wave of emails that I get, talking about "Events in Denver!!"

Jedi Mind Tricks put on a good show last night. Vinnie Paz and Stoupe played a bunch of classic older stuff from Violent by Design, Legacy of Blood, and Servants in Heaven, Kings in Hell, as well as a few songs from their new album The Thief and the Fallen. They also did some Army of the Pharoahs tracks with Crypt the Warchild. I was surprised at how violent the show was. I spent the first half of the show trying to protect my girlfriend from a non-stop mosh pit in the middle of the crowd. I had to put one dude on the ground after he came crashing into us. I usually make fun of some of my friends who tend to hang out in the back of the venue or up in the balcony for shows because I like to be right in the mix up front, but we eventually decided to move up to the front balcony area so that we could relax and enjoy the show instead of constantly fighting off reckless maniacs that I'm pretty sure were hopped up on some weird drugs that I don't even know about. We actually had a pretty sweet view from up in the front balcony area.

The opening act Whiskey Blanket put on a really unique and interesting show. The group is composed of three guys from Colorado who rap while playing classical instruments and beatboxing. One guy raps and plays a fiddle, another guy raps and plays a cello and beatboxes, and the third guy raps while running the turntables and playing a keyboard. They did some cool covers of 90's rap beats using a combination of the fiddle and beatboxing. I also enjoyed an acapella rap that they did about being a skeptic/athiest. I always appreciate bands that are willing to do something unique to push the boundaries of a particular musical style.

new ASAP Rocky isnt bad
New tech n9ne is very good.

peep Rapsody beauty and the beast ep

new denaun porter ep is decent. peep the royce and monch track

other than that im steady bumpin

Big Krit cadilactica

Lupe - tetsuo & youth

Kendrick - to pimp a butterfly

Someone explain to me how Yelawolf has a fan base?
i actually like yelawolf but im not feeling his newer stuff. go back to the trunk musik style please.
I change the station anytime one of his songs come on. Not a fan of Eminem's new style either.
did you like his older stuff?
Yeah I feel Bob...Em's been straight basura since he came back from his hiatus. His last halfway decent album IMO was Recovery.

i actually like yelawolf but im not feeling his newer stuff. go back to the trunk musik style please.
I change the station anytime one of his songs come on. Not a fan of Eminem's new style either.
did you like his older stuff?
i havent really felt em since relapse. He has had songs that have been decent though like rap god but he is staying in that pop lane. BUT the bad meets evil project with royce was fire! so he still has it but i think for now hes just trying to make dough.

Btw, PSA for anyone in Philadelphia who is not aware of radio station 107.9. I only just heard it a couple weeks ago, but they switched to a classic hip-hop format in November. Just 1 of 3 stations in the country with this format. Awesome stuff.
listen almost daily. the male DJ can be annoying and i tried to leave messages for them about what i want to hear and their voice mail is broken, but they play some good stuff. they also play some terrible stuff, but i guess playing 24 hours a day they need a larger catalog. but yes, this was needed

did anyone peep the new earl sweatshirt? I have it on my spotify but havent had the chance to give it a thorough listen.

did anyone peep the new earl sweatshirt? I have it on my spotify but havent had the chance to give it a thorough listen.
It's fairly dark and...emo? I thought it was pretty good, but I never really came back to it after a few listens.

In unsurprising hip-hop news, YG got shot three times this week. But he lived!

did you like yela's older stuff?

Like this for example?
Eh. Not a fan.
Speaking of Yelawolf.... this is hilarious and sad.

listen almost daily. the male DJ can be annoying and i tried to leave messages for them about what i want to hear and their voice mail is broken, but they play some good stuff. they also play some terrible stuff, but i guess playing 24 hours a day they need a larger catalog. but yes, this was needed
Yeah, the more I've listened, the more uneven it has been, but still is always my go-to, because the best things they play will be the best things on any station. When I first turned it on and heard De La Soul, I was like WTF is going here?

Last night I was driving in the car with my 10-year-daughter and 99 Problems came on (edited, fortunately). My daughter says "Is this like a parody of that Problems song by Ariana Grande and Iggy Azalea?" :doh: :no:

Also not clear as to why they use the Sol Rosenberg "I can't see, #######it!" drop in the beginning of like half the songs, but I like that too.

Yeah, the more I've listened, the more uneven it has been, but still is always my go-to, because the best things they play will be the best things on any station. When I first turned it on and heard De La Soul, I was like WTF is going here?

Last night I was driving in the car with my 10-year-daughter and 99 Problems came on (edited, fortunately). My daughter says "Is this like a parody of that Problems song by Ariana Grande and Iggy Azalea?" :doh: :no:

Also not clear as to why they use the Sol Rosenberg "I can't see, #######it!" drop in the beginning of like half the songs, but I like that too.
I listen to Backspin on sirius religiously. Love it. Apparently NYC has an oldies hip hop station but i havent checked it out yet.

Long Ball Larry said:
We got one here in Denver, recently. It's decent, but mixes in too much "classic" stuff that is only 5 years old or so.

Btw, someone mentioned Nappy Roots' new album earlier. I just got around to listening to it. I haven't caught their stuff in years, and it's definitely different. I'll have to give it a few more spins, but here's a few songs that stand out to me so far:

Nappy Roots - Tokyo

Nappy Roots - Window (had this one on repeat in the car for a while)

And for nostalgia's sake, a few songs from their old hit albums:

Nappy Roots - Awnaw (If you can crank it, then crank it. Sounds so good)

Nappy Roots - Good Day

This one wasn't a hit, but I always dug it - Nappy Roots - My Ride

Users who are viewing this thread