What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Products you believe in - Let's hear 'em (3 Viewers)

I'm starting to think about just keeping it and upgrading the stereo that I never got around to doing. The standard issue stinks, no bass in it. 

I just think it would be fun to trade it in, the monthly on this thing was about $400, we spent abut $20-$22k on this thing, 4 years later it's worth $12,000...I can cut my monthly expenses on this to about $200 a month for the duration we have owned it, that's pretty good. 

Downside is we would have a car payment and probably a balance of $15k on something new or almost new even with the trade. 

Could easily drive it for 5 years...let's say down the road the car is worth $5k when it's about 10 years old...$7k in depreciation over the next 60 months...that's pretty good. 

I always say the monthly cost for folks who don't have a car payment with maintenance and depreciation is still about $100-$200 a month depending on the car and how long you drive it. Eventually you are going to buy a new car and there is a cost. 

Let's say you buy a new car and drive it 10 years...$25,000 over 120 months...that's still over $200 a month without any repairs and up keep. 

Am I thinking right/wrong here?
I'm maybe a little bit of an insane person so take this with a grain of salt. 

You should basically never ever have a car payment. If you can't afford to pay cash for it up front, you shouldn't be buying it*. A $12k, 5-yr used Subaru is a perfect car to buy, if it's in good condition without insane miles. Why would you sell one of those? 

Your thinking about maintenance and depreciation is wrong in one key way: yes, you have those "costs of ownership" even though you have no payment. Yes, they may be close to a payment. However: if you buy it new you still have all those costs AND you're making a car payment. While you make the payment the vehicle is still depreciating and other costs of ownership exist. 

*If you can afford to do this AND make more money with your cash in other ways because of a low interest rate AND you actually will do that, it could make sense to have a car payment. But way too many people think that's what they can and should do but they can't and/or don't have the ability and they've been hoodwinked. 

Q tip cotton swabs

i despise the cheap ones with the flimsy plastic stems. I need at least 10 to clean my ears.

i fight with my girl all the time because she buys the cheap ones. I tell her to buy the ones that actually work for a couple bucks more. It is only like .2 cents more per swab

sge still doesn't listen I guess because of all the damn earwax built up that she can't remove

I'm maybe a little bit of an insane person so take this with a grain of salt. 

You should basically never ever have a car payment. If you can't afford to pay cash for it up front, you shouldn't be buying it*. A $12k, 5-yr used Subaru is a perfect car to buy, if it's in good condition without insane miles. Why would you sell one of those? 

Your thinking about maintenance and depreciation is wrong in one key way: yes, you have those "costs of ownership" even though you have no payment. Yes, they may be close to a payment. However: if you buy it new you still have all those costs AND you're making a car payment. While you make the payment the vehicle is still depreciating and other costs of ownership exist. 

*If you can afford to do this AND make more money with your cash in other ways because of a low interest rate AND you actually will do that, it could make sense to have a car payment. But way too many people think that's what they can and should do but they can't and/or don't have the ability and they've been hoodwinked. 
Wife and I are pretty good at not buying things you can't afford. We go long stints without car payments. but when they want to give you 0% for 36, 48, 60 months...I can get a little bit better than 0% on my money so I'll gladly let them finance it. 

I guess you believe in paying cash for a home?

I have a relatively new Outback and I'd describe it as supremely practical. Good reliability, reasonable cost, good gas mileage, smooth ride. It's also boring as hell to drive. I wouldn't have one if I didn't have kids and a need for more of a more family car. But for what it is, it's outstanding. 

I have a relatively new Outback and I'd describe it as supremely practical. Good reliability, reasonable cost, good gas mileage, smooth ride. It's also boring as hell to drive. I wouldn't have one if I didn't have kids and a need for more of a more family car. But for what it is, it's outstanding. 
any reason why you didn't go with the forester

berndog said:
Nobody else besides MOP, ragincajun, and i go to Sanibel.  You won't like it..... :ph34r: :ph34r:
My brother lives on Sanibel. Bartends the outdoor bar at Mucky Duck on Captiva.

Nobody else besides MOP, ragincajun, berndog, and I go to Sanibel. You won't like it... :ph34r: :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
Rougher ride on the older forester anyway. Also, with two car seats ( thank goodness those days are over, there was only room for a small teen in the back, which kind of defeats the purpose of having a boring SUV. Subarus are EVERYWHERE in Maine. 

My brother lives on Sanibel. Bartends the outdoor bar at Mucky Duck on Captiva.

Nobody else besides MOP, ragincajun, berndog, and I go to Sanibel. You won't like it... :ph34r: :ph34r:
I'll be honest, our last trip a week or two ago, I'm good for a while. I'm totally spoiled living on the ocean, was actually wanting to get back home to Jupiter. 

I started going to Sanibel 20+ years ago when my wife's friend had a timeshare, seemed like we could never afford a place like that. Well now we live in something similar and people are coming to visit us now for RnR. 

We've always been blessed to be living in nicer places but this last go around, we're done for a while, maybe forever. 

Wife and I are pretty good at not buying things you can't afford. We go long stints without car payments. but when they want to give you 0% for 36, 48, 60 months...I can get a little bit better than 0% on my money so I'll gladly let them finance it. 

I guess you believe in paying cash for a home?
Nope. Just too easy to be tempted or mess it up with a car. 

Molson 67 beers. Only 3% (so you don't get too drunk) but also you don't get as bloated or have those horrific hang overs. 

Sabertooth said:
What do guys use for nose hair trimming?  Mine broke.  
We talking hair coming out of the interior of the nose (this happens?) or hair that grows on the nose?  This happens occasionally but I just yank the offenders. 

Now that zucchini season is in full swing, I just gotta say this OXO Spiralizer is fan-####ing-tastic!  :thumbup:

I really dont even like zucchini or squash. The taste and texture are both unappealing to me. I also never like spaghetti squash. Thought it was terrible. But spriralize a fresh picked zucchini into some "zoodles" and somehow they're awesome. You hardly even notice that its not noodles. Great tossed in an Italian gravy (yes, I said it), a garlic/lemon/white wine cream sauce, or even in a Thai style coconut-milk/lime/fish-sauce and topped with crushed peanuts. Love em.
Just ordered. I wish i would of before summer. 

Anyone have a pillow recommendation? Ever since my surgery I've been searching high and wide. Had a chillow. Sucked, bad. Best I've had since was a memory foam/gel pillow. But it only stays cool for a little bit and I find myself waking to rotate it to the cool end a bunch of times a night.

Do they make battery operated one that'd stay cool all night? How about a "Sleep Number" one? I'd mortgage my kids for one.

Canary Security Camera

My Apple Watch received a photo alert of two dudes in my living room.  I called the cops.  A 1 hour fence-hopping chase ensued and both burglars were caught. The camera is shaped like a cylinder and blended in with some candles I have in the living room. The 5 minute video is priceless and the detective said he had no problem putting them away.

Pic

(The video is actually clearer than the screen shot.)

Canary Security Camera

My Apple Watch received a photo alert of two dudes in my living room.  I called the cops.  A 1 hour fence-hopping chase ensued and both burglars were caught. The camera is shaped like a cylinder and blended in with some candles I have in the living room. The 5 minute video is priceless and the detective said he had no problem putting them away.

Pic

If you're black guy robbing houses at least wear some business casual.

I don't know why it took me so long, but I've given up on cooking rice on the stove top. Whether through stupidity, stubbornness, and/or just not wanting a gadget in the kitchen, I avoided getting a rice cooker for a long time. But it's just stupid not to have one. I'm a rice snob that can't cook rice worth a damn, which is a problem. Either too mushy, or completely underdone. But the rice cooker makes perfect jasmine rice every time (haven't tried it with basmati yet, but I'm sure that'll be wonderful). I've got some Aroma model, but I'm sure many are great. 

Unrelated, but I'm also a huge fan of Lion's Club brooms. It's hard to find a good broom. Lion's Club brooms are rock solid, well made and $10-13. Frankly, I have no idea what the Lion's Club does other than sell outstanding, cheap brooms in front of Sam's a couple times a year. 

Canary Security Camera

Pic

What kind of set up do you have? I've seen some at Target and such, and wondered if they were any good.

Crazy Shirts Really fun, soft, roomy and comfy T-shirts with different logos and designs. A lot of Island themed ones (they're based in Hawaii) but a lot of non island themed designs too. A little pricey, but they have sales pretty often and they last and wear well.

The Crazy Shorts are made for no waisted midgets tho, so stick to the shirts

I don't know why it took me so long, but I've given up on cooking rice on the stove top. Whether through stupidity, stubbornness, and/or just not wanting a gadget in the kitchen, I avoided getting a rice cooker for a long time. But it's just stupid not to have one. I'm a rice snob that can't cook rice worth a damn, which is a problem. Either too mushy, or completely underdone. But the rice cooker makes perfect jasmine rice every time (haven't tried it with basmati yet, but I'm sure that'll be wonderful). I've got some Aroma model, but I'm sure many are great. 

Unrelated, but I'm also a huge fan of Lion's Club brooms. It's hard to find a good broom. Lion's Club brooms are rock solid, well made and $10-13. Frankly, I have no idea what the Lion's Club does other than sell outstanding, cheap brooms in front of Sam's a couple times a year. 
Any rice cooker suggestions?

No complaints about our rice cooker: https://smile.amazon.com/Tiger-JNP-S15U-HU-Uncooked-Cooker-Stainless/dp/B00IVDKXWS?sa-no-redirect=1 4.4/5 stars, 578 reviews.

I remember that I hunted around a bit before deciding on that model, but can't remember what pointed me to it.

I tend to like this site's reviews: http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-rice-cooker/

They recommend a much less expensive model: https://smile.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Simplicity-resulting-37549/dp/B00OFB9SYY?ie=UTF8&ascsubtag=SH1637&linkCode=xm2&sa-no-redirect=1&tag=thesweethome-20

Any rice cooker suggestions?
I use this Aroma 10 cup (uncooked) model. I like it alot, but don't really have anything to compare it to. It has the steamer basket and slow-cooker function (doubt I'll ever use the former). The $30-40 Aroma and Hamilton Beach models all seem really similar and well-reviewed. They look damn near identical with different control panel designs. You just put the rice (rinsed) and water in and push "white rice" or "brown rice". When done, it automatically switches to "keep warm" mode. The time automatically varies by the amount of rice you are cooking. It magically knows when it's done (I assume it measures the humidity or something). 

Crazy Shirts Really fun, soft, roomy and comfy T-shirts with different logos and designs. A lot of Island themed ones (they're based in Hawaii) but a lot of non island themed designs too. A little pricey, but they have sales pretty often and they last and wear well.

The Crazy Shorts are made for no waisted midgets tho, so stick to the shirts
I'll second these....they are awesome.  I was introduced to them in Key West.  I LOVE their long sleeve T-shirts.  They are heavy duty shirts though, so the short sleeved are tough to wear in really hot weather, but they are perfect for the fall and spring time around here.

Users who are viewing this thread