What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] Javorius "Buck" Allen, RB BAL (1 Viewer)

beef

Footballguy
Why is this guy falling so far in rookie drafts? Good size/speed combo and receiver. Seems like a solid fit for Balt. A few scouts felt he'd be a great value pick after the bigger named backs, and one of the more underrated backs from this class. Forsett will not be in his way for long. Until Balt adds another RB the opportunity is there.

I'm about to grab him in a league now and as I look into him more I'm just a little surprised he's still on the board in the mid 3rd. Curious if I'm one of the only ones who might just be a little too optimistic???

Last edited by a moderator:
Just picked him up in the draft as well. Just seems like one of those good at everything great at nothing kind of dudes, and that seems to be how the NFL feels as well. If he gets a gig and runs with it, he could bring a lot of value as a very well rounded guy. Question is if that will ever happen. Looks like 2016 might be an option, but will Baltimore have a better back by then?

How much better is he than Taliafero?
Enough that Baltimore felt the need to draft him despite a fairly similar size and skill set on a healthy 2nd year guy. If Baltimore felt that Tali was just as good, not sure why they would have bothered with Allen. Depth could be the answer, but I'd guess they are hoping for more.

I think depth is at least part of it. They cut Bernard Pierce, and looking on NFL's Draft Analysis of Allen low and behold it says:

NFL COMPARISON Bernard Pierce

That said, Winning Is Everything makes a good point. The Ravens are probably going to lean on Justin Forsett this season as long as he holds up while looking for either one of Taliafero or Allen to establish themselves. If neither does, in comes another RB into the mix next year.

He's a significantly better fit for Trestman's offense than Taliaferro. He has reasonable passing game skills and better lateral agility. Still, he lacks Forsett's subtle moves, soft hands and nuance. He's a reasonable handcuff for Forsett, but has a long way to go to ever reach lead back skills and my guess is he backs up whoever replaces Forsett a season or 2 from now.

How much better is he than Taliafero?
Enough that Baltimore felt the need to draft him despite a fairly similar size and skill set on a healthy 2nd year guy. If Baltimore felt that Tali was just as good, not sure why they would have bothered with Allen. Depth could be the answer, but I'd guess they are hoping for more.
That makes sense. I had Lorenzo and just drafted Allen, but don't have any other Raven backs.

Finished my final early rookie draft and took Allen at 3.02. Dont care what might happen next year. For a 3rd I'll gladly take a chance on someone Ozzie likes and on a team in need of some rb help.

I'll tell you what ... I hadn't given this guy alot of thought until this thread had me watching highlights. I came away completely impressed with how efficiently this guy runs. He isn't one of those sharp cutters but he has fantastic feet and seems to constantly make guys miss with minimal effort. He also does a great job of setting up blocks and has what appears to me to be very good vision. Another unexpected caveat is that I didn't see him get run down by alot of guys and the ones that did run him down, he did a nice job of using their momentum against them and cutting it back inside to avoid the tackle.

Call me impressed. I think I'll be targetting this guy.

I'll tell you what ... I hadn't given this guy alot of thought until this thread had me watching highlights. I came away completely impressed with how efficiently this guy runs. He isn't one of those sharp cutters but he has fantastic feet and seems to constantly make guys miss with minimal effort. He also does a great job of setting up blocks and has what appears to me to be very good vision. Another unexpected caveat is that I didn't see him get run down by alot of guys and the ones that did run him down, he did a nice job of using their momentum against them and cutting it back inside to avoid the tackle.

Call me impressed. I think I'll be targetting this guy.
:hifive: it's lonely on the bandwagon right now, but maybe we'll able to move from a short bus to a full sizer before the season starts. if not, you'll have plenty of leg room. :thumbup:

i was a little surprised to see Jason Wood rank Allen at 13 in his initial rookie rankings. would love to hear his thoughts! two people at DLF have him ranked 20th.

Silva had him as his #6 running back in rookie ranks.... that stuck out to me and his reasoning sold me. All Allen has ahead of him for big time stats is Forsett, but even if Forsett keeps pace from last year he could still have PPR value in Trestmens offense. Similar build to Forte smooth pass catcher steal in 3rd/4th's

Rotoworld:

Coach John Harbaugh said fourth-round RB Buck Allen's pass-down skills are as advertised.

Allen's calling card coming out of USC was his receiving and blocking ability. Those are crucial traits for running backs playing in a Marc Trestman offense. "We've seen Buck catch passes, we've seen Buck pass protect, so we know he can do it," Harbaugh said after rookie minicamp. "He has done it out here and looks very smooth doing it." Allen will be a sneaky flier in deeper PPR formats.

Source: Baltimore Sun
May 18 - 11:09 AM

I like Allen and have been targeting him as my #1 or #2 guy in that big tier of RBs grouped tightly together in the 2nd and 3rd round.

The top 5 of Gurley, Gordon, Yeldon, Abdullah and Coleman are a notch above the rest for me and are deserving of their 1st round ADPs.

Then you have:

Duke Johnson

Javorius Allen

Jay Ajayi

Matt Jones

David Cobb

David Johnson

Jeremy Langford

That's the order I have that big tier of RBs in currently (which puts Allen as rookie RB #7) but I think they are all pretty close in value. None are guaranteed much of anything and may never win starting jobs or have any real fantasy value. But all have the upside to grab a starting role early in their careers and hang onto it for a few years. It's a good year to grab 2 or 3 of those guys and hope that one of them hits. I've been leaning towards the RBs from mid-2nd on (once Dorsett and Funchess are gone as I like those 2 better than this group of RBs) and then exclusively in the 3rd round .

The value is especially good in round 3 where it seems at least a couple of the RBs from this tier have made it through in every draft and provide a pretty sweet risk/reward proposition at that point.

Two other guys that have been sliding to late 3rd or 4th round that I like are Josh Robinson and Cameron Artis-Payne. Both have a good shot of winning the RB2 jobs behind somewhat injury prone veterans and are one injury away from being weekly fantasy starters. I prefer Artis-Payne over Robinson just a little as I think he has less competition.

I think a few weeks ago Allen was a pretty solid deal.

Now I think he may be starting to get overdrafted imo. He is an efficient player but that usually means he isn't very good and gets the most of a limited set of skills. I could see him being effective in situations but ultimately I think he is a guy that a team would always be looking to upgrade

Rotoworld:

Buck Allen - RB - Ravens

ESPN Ravens reporter Jamison Hensley believes fourth-rounder Buck Allen and Lorenzo Taliaferro could split No. 2 duties behind Justin Forsett.

Taliaferro showed promise in the Ravens' short-yardage role last season, but Allen is a bigger threat in the passing game. Allen is also viewed as a plus pass-protector. It wouldn't be surprising to see Taliaferro handle goal-line duties and Allen serve in the passing game behind 30-year-old (in October) Forsett.

Related: Lorenzo Taliaferro

Source: ESPN.com

May 26 - 6:01 PM

Lots of people are calling Allen a good pass protector (or maybe it's just Rotoworld saying it lots of times), but College Football Focus rated Allen as one of the worst pass blocking RBs in college football last year (56th out of 59). On 68 snaps, he allowed 3 sacks, 1 QB hit, and 5 hurries.

Sabertooth said:
Yeah even right now for me it's

Gurley

Gordon

Abdullah

Yeldon

Coleman

Allen
Wow.A few weeks ago it was Allen after Langford, Josh Robinson and Mike Davis-13th RB taken.

cr8f said:
Sabertooth said:
Yeah even right now for me it's

Gurley

Gordon

Abdullah

Yeldon

Coleman

Allen
Wow.A few weeks ago it was Allen after Langford, Josh Robinson and Mike Davis-13th RB taken.
I am always very leery when a guy is stable in where people see him and then all of a sudden blasts up the board, at the RB position. To me, more often than not, it reeks of manufacturing perception in a low-supply position. All these ff drafts kick off and within 24 hours, all the names are gone and people start scrounging and digging and end up selling themselves snake water.

I've probably bought into Allen more than I should. Took him in one rookie draft last week but now that I've had time to reset it a bit, I think it was a mistake. He's old for rookie RB, he plays on a team with a pair of fungible replacements, and his needle moved too much between the time of four years of getting to know him (where he could have made his own case) and now (where I fear we "made" the case for him).

At this point, my plan is to sell high to the Forsett owner.

In my 12 team PPR dynasty rookie draft, he is still not yet selected as of pick 2.11. If you picked him, what pick was he and who did you pass on to select him? Other notable players still available are Devin Smith, Maxx Williams, and Sammie Coates.

Allen seems like North Carolina rb Johnny White from 2011 and Bilal Powell from the Jets. Just a guy type backs. Not bad and not great. I would rather not get swept up with their undeserving hype with better prospects on the board. Might be good mid to late third, but not mid to late second.

Obviously, its possible Buck turns out to be just a guy.

However, I don't think there's any debating that this class is viewed by the NFL as a very good class of RBs. Before the draft, I saw quotes from NFL types that 3rd round talent at the RB position would fall into round 4, just because of the depth this year. I think Buck fits in that category. There's some Dorsey Levens potential here. I don't think the tools are necessarily there to be elite, but I think he can be a starter in the NFL. That has a lot of value in FF.

I did not necessarily think that this year's draft was stacked with running back talent. The reality for me is that there is no guarantee at running back. We were all goaded into thinking that Trent Richardson was the next coming of Adrian Peterson like greatness when he came out. Obviously we all missed the boat on that one. So it goes without saying that we could miss the other way and not recognized an ascendant talent at running back who was not on the radar. So for me to catch lightning in a bottle and think that Buck Allen will somehoe become a starter in fantasy football, well I just assume not take that risk of squandering an earlier pick by reaching and draft a better player who does have higher prospects for success. That noted, of late, Allen projects by many as a late 2nd round pick in 12 team rookie drafts. so I don't think there's anything wrong with people who believe he can do that to take him there. I'm just not quite there yet.

Sort of like who really knew that Alfred Morris was going to be an rb1 during their rookie drafts? I don't know that anybody spent a second round pick on Morris during their pre-summer camp rookie drafts. If they did ththey're damn good drafters!

Allen shows that he has basic runningback abilities and is in a position to perhaps fight for a rb1 position in 2 to 3 years. Since he will be a 24 year old rookie, I'm not looking to invest a late 2nd round pick on him. Not when there is a better prospect available.

Allen seems like North Carolina rb Johnny White from 2011 and Bilal Powell from the Jets. Just a guy type backs. Not bad and not great. I would rather not get swept up with their undeserving hype with better prospects on the board. Might be good mid to late third, but not mid to late second.
No that's too soon. I see him going RB9 and this is too soon but I took him at RB 14 in a 1.4 PPR IDP (4.08) and at that he was good.

I have heard Matt Jones hype too and he went at 4.09 and don't believe the hype there either.

Any Allen news? Seems like he's kind of lost in the shuffle here. I think I made a mistake cutting Tallieferro for him.

Any Allen news? Seems like he's kind of lost in the shuffle here. I think I made a mistake cutting Tallieferro for him.
I'm hearing Tallieferro is stepping up. He has some "veteran" preference over the rookie though so that may mean little.

Overall, re: Buck Allen (and I am a guy that happens to own him in a league) I just don't see him as ever being a true starter in the league as a few people suggested. I think people leaned a little heavy in connecting the dots, assuming Forsett is older, not that great to start with YET still did well in the system, etc. I think if Allen found himself as the "starter", it will be because of injury and will be short term. I think he's the kind of guy a team would never be completely comfortable in and would be looking to upgrade when the time comes.

All that being said, there is perception of value with the guy so there IS real value there and he certainly could be a guy that steps in and has FF value this year if an injury occurred or whatever. I'm just saying I see him as an immediate value only and would definitely be listening in dynasty if someone asked me to trade him.

I'm hearing Tallieferro is stepping up. He has some "veteran" preference over the rookie though so that may mean little.

Overall, re: Buck Allen (and I am a guy that happens to own him in a league) I just don't see him as ever being a true starter in the league as a few people suggested. I think people leaned a little heavy in connecting the dots, assuming Forsett is older, not that great to start with YET still did well in the system, etc. I think if Allen found himself as the "starter", it will be because of injury and will be short term. I think he's the kind of guy a team would never be completely comfortable in and would be looking to upgrade when the time comes.

All that being said, there is perception of value with the guy so there IS real value there and he certainly could be a guy that steps in and has FF value this year if an injury occurred or whatever. I'm just saying I see him as an immediate value only and would definitely be listening in dynasty if someone asked me to trade him.
Allen is more receiving and blocking back from his time at USC. Tallieferro a goal line back probably, but Forsett wasn't given any credit a year ago either.

So I seem to be getting the feeling from folks on here that Allen is more talented than Taliaferro. I have no idea if that is true or not, but if I play along and assume that it is true, it still doesn't answer the real question, which is who do the Ravens think is the #2, whether they would be smart to think as such or not? If you draft Forsett, do you even bother with a handcuff? I suppose we'll know better by the end of preseason.

So I seem to be getting the feeling from folks on here that Allen is more talented than Taliaferro. I have no idea if that is true or not, but if I play along and assume that it is true, it still doesn't answer the real question, which is who do the Ravens think is the #2, whether they would be smart to think as such or not? If you draft Forsett, do you even bother with a handcuff? I suppose we'll know better by the end of preseason.
You mean if Forsett goes down? They may share if that happens with Allen the 3rd down back and Lorenzo a 2 down back. Too early to tell I think.

Rotoworld:

Buck Allen managed 35 yards on 11 carries in the Ravens' preseason opener against the Saints.

He also dropped a target. The Ravens gave Justin Forsett, Lorenzo Taliaferro, and Allen reps with Joe Flacco's first group, an interesting development that should probably be monitored. Forsett had a great 2014 season, but up until then had never been envisioned by coaches as a full-time back. Taliaferro was quite clearly the No. 2 in this game, however, with Allen working as the third-string back. Allen still has a ways to go to become Forsett's handcuff.

Aug 13 - 10:48 PM

Any new news? Is he looking like the #3?
News is mixed on his MFL page. On the one hand, yeah he's the three. On the other hand he just fumbled a ball and Harbaugh lit him up for it. I think he's pretty locked in on that job and I don't know that Lorenzo can hold him off for too long.

Users who are viewing this thread