What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MFL Position Changes -- List? (1 Viewer)

Why do some 3-4 guys like Demarcus Ware change to a LB but players in NE like ninkovich and chandler jones stay as a DL?

Will Vic Beasley be a DE or will he be a LB and used like Bruce Irvin by Quinn?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't seem to find a list of position designation changes that were processed within the last week or so.
  • ARI: Matt Shaughnessy from LB to DE
  • ARI: Rodney Gunter from DT to DE
  • ARI: Ed Stinson from DE to DT
  • ARI: LaMarr Woodley from DE to LB
  • ARI: Markus Golden from DE to LB
  • ARI: Kareem Martin from DE to LB
  • ATL: Stansly Maponga from LB to DE
  • ATL: O'Brien Schofield from LB to DE
  • ATL: Jonathan Babineaux from DE to DT
  • ATL: Ra'Shede Hageman from DE to DT
  • ATL: Malliciah Goodman from DE to DT
  • ATL: Charles Godfrey from CB to S
  • BAL: Timmy Jernigan from DT to DE
  • BAL: Steven Means from DE to LB
  • BUF: Marcell Dareus from DT to DE
  • BUF: Stefan Charles from DT to DE
  • BUF: Alex Carrington from DT to DE
  • BUF: Mario Williams from DE to LB
  • BUF: Jerry Hughes from DE to LB
  • BUF: Manny Lawson from DE to LB
  • BUF: Corey Graham from CB to S
  • CAR: Teddy Williams from WR to CB
  • CHI: Will Sutton from DT to DE
  • CHI: Lamarr Houston from DE to LB
  • CHI: Jared Allen from DE to LB
  • CHI: Willie Young from DE to LB
  • CLE: Randy Starks from DT to DE
  • CLE: Xavier Cooper from DT to DE
  • CLE: Nate Orchard from DE to LB
  • CLE: Scott Solomon from DE to LB
  • CLE: Ifo Ekpre-Olomu from CB to S
  • DAL: Tyrone Crawford from DE to DT
  • DAL: Corey White from CB to S
  • DEN: Antonio Smith from DT to DE
  • DEN: Demarcus Ware from DE to LB
  • DEN: Shane Ray from DE to LB
  • DEN: Bradley Roby from CB to S
  • DET: Haloti Ngata from DE to DT
  • DET: Tyrunn Walker from DE to DT
  • GB : Josh Boyd from DT to DE
  • GB : Damarious Randall from S to CB
  • HOU: Christian Covington from DT to DE
  • IND: Kendall Langford from DT to DE
  • IND: Zach Kerr from DT to DE
  • IND: Montori Hughes from DE to DT
  • IND: Kelcy Quarles from DE to DT
  • JAX: Jared Odrick from DT to DE
  • JAX: Ryan Davis from DE to DT
  • KC : Nick Williams from DE to DT
  • KC : Ron Parker from CB to S
  • NE : Jabaal Sheard from LB to DE
  • NE : Geneo Grissom from DE to LB
  • NO : Damian Swann from CB to S
  • NYG: Josh Gordy from CB to S
  • NYJ: Leonard Williams from DT to DE
  • NYJ: Kevin Vickerson from DT to DE
  • NYJ: Leger Douzable from DE to DT
  • NYJ: Jason Babin from DE to LB
  • OAK: Taiwan Jones from CB to RB
  • OAK: Max Valles from LB to DE
  • OAK: Ras-I Dowling from CB to S
  • PHI: Brian Mihalik from DE to DT
  • PHI: Jaylen Watkins from CB to S
  • PHI: E.J. Biggers from CB to S
  • PIT: Cam Thomas from DT to DE
  • PIT: Leterrius Walton from DT to DE
  • PIT: Antwon Blake from S to CB
  • SD : Ricardo Mathews from DT to DE
  • SD : Mitch Unrein from DT to DE
  • SD : Darius Philon from DT to DE
  • SEA: Tony McDaniel from DE to DT
  • SEA: Ahtyba Rubin from DE to DT
  • SEA: Demarcus Dobbs from DE to DT
  • SF : Eli Harold from DE to LB
  • SF : Jimmie Ward from S to CB
  • SF : Dontae Johnson from S to CB
  • STL: Martin Ifedi from DE to DT
  • STL: Lamarcus Joyner from S to CB
  • TB : Larry English from LB to DE
  • TEN: Angelo Blackson from DT to DE
  • TEN: Marqueston Huff from CB to S
  • WAS: Stephen Paea from DT to DE
  • WAS: Chris Baker from DT to DE
  • WAS: Preston Smith from DE to LB
  • WAS: Jackson Jeffcoat from DE to LB

When does FBG update there depth charts to equal this. Mario is still a DE here even though most where expecting this.

Not sure why NE is still a 4-3. Kind of like Baltimore for years with Terrell Suggs.

When does FBG update there depth charts to equal this. Mario is still a DE here even though most where expecting this.

Not sure why NE is still a 4-3. Kind of like Baltimore for years with Terrell Suggs.
FBG is currently syncing depth charts to NFL.com depth charts rather than MFL. I'm not certain when our database (and Bob Henry's depth charts) will next be matched up to the site. I doubt there will be many changes to NFL.com until training camp, but that's where we are right now.

I'm still planning to default to MFL / Rotoworld in my positional tier features. And I'll continue to note which players are most at risk of a later re-classification.

In either of the last 2 years they played way more 4-3 then Baltimore has in any similar period over the last 7 years.

They are very fluid and change as often as injuries dictate to them to change.

Not a fan of some of those moves.

Feels like Mario Williams should still have a DE designation to me.

we really need to come up with some type of new positions for IDP leagues.

need a combined edge rusher position that can accomodate 4-3 DEs and 3-4 OLBs.

maybe put 3-4 DEs in with the 4-3 DTs.

that would leave the 4-3 LBs and 3-4 ILBs in their own group as well.

feels like a better grouping than DE, DT, and LB that we currently use in almost all leagues.

I've mentioned this before in MFL threads. Why doesn't FBG have their own fantasy site? Seems like it would fit into the portfolio pretty well and offer a one-one stop solution. Plus, I would venture they could do a better job than anything else on the market.

I sent MFL a note asking why they didn't change Beasley to DE since that's how Rotoworld has him listed. They said it's because Atlanta tweeted that he would be listed at LB, and that they would coordinate this with Rotoworld.

Aaron Rudnicki said:
Not a fan of some of those moves.

Feels like Mario Williams should still have a DE designation to me.

we really need to come up with some type of new positions for IDP leagues.

need a combined edge rusher position that can accomodate 4-3 DEs and 3-4 OLBs.

maybe put 3-4 DEs in with the 4-3 DTs.

that would leave the 4-3 LBs and 3-4 ILBs in their own group as well.

feels like a better grouping than DE, DT, and LB that we currently use in almost all leagues.
start a petition, I'll sign

mrbengal said:
I sent MFL a note asking why they didn't change Beasley to DE since that's how Rotoworld has him listed. They said it's because Atlanta tweeted that he would be listed at LB, and that they would coordinate this with Rotoworld.
Weird that the Falcons did that. Still a chance his listing could change to DE hopefully once we see how he's being used.

mrbengal said:
Missed this. The LEO has always been defined as a DE, including in the Pete Carroll system Dan Quinn uses.

Weak...

Franchise Tag Values 2015

DE >> 14.813 million

LB >> 13.195 million

As the age old question is brought up in our league about the DE/LB designation

IS there stats on how much Julius Peppers dropped back last year compared to rushing the QB. Or played with hand in dirt compared to standing up.

ONce the best DE in the game and drafted as such and than goes to LB. Very Mario Williams like

Trying to come up with ideas for this Elephant/Leo thing that is going on right now. If your an elephant you play in a 3-4 and if you are a Leo you play in a 4-3. Is this correct.

Who would be considered these type of guys. Is a Von Miller or Khalil Mack the same as a Julius Peppers or Derrick Morgan. Does the size matter. If you are 270 poiunds plus you can be a DE. If you are 300 plus playing DE, you can be a DT. Because I agree with Jene that the 3-4 is being brought in for money savings only for NFL teams. Very smart on their part really and leagues need rules in place for this.

mrbengal said:
Missed this. The LEO has always been defined as a DE, including in the Pete Carroll system Dan Quinn uses.

Weak...

DE >> 14.813 million

LB >> 13.195 million
Agree 100% Jene.

Rotoworld's last blurb has a tweet confirming Beasley in the Leo role and clearly listed as a DE. Don't know the validity of the tweet MFL supposedly saw from the Falcons but it is in direct contrast to the beat writer's report. Can't imagine MFL is selectively choosing which players it doesn't agree with Rotoworld's position designations on. I suspect MFL will be the one to switch the next time they do a position update.

That said, a potential solution for the Mario Williams, Julius Peppers, DeMarcus Ware's, etc. of the world would be to have multi-position eligibility for them (common in fantasy baseball and basketball). They obviously play both DE and LB, so why not allow them the option? Make them a DE/OLB. A pretty simple solution, really.

J Giles Band said:
mrbengal said:

Weak...

DE >> 14.813 million

LB >> 13.195 million
Agree 100% Jene.

Rotoworld's last blurb has a tweet confirming Beasley in the Leo role and clearly listed as a DE. Don't know the validity of the tweet MFL supposedly saw from the Falcons but it is in direct contrast to the beat writer's report. Can't imagine MFL is selectively choosing which players it doesn't agree with Rotoworld's position designations on. I suspect MFL will be the one to switch the next time they do a position update.

That said, a potential solution for the Mario Williams, Julius Peppers, DeMarcus Ware's, etc. of the world would be to have multi-position eligibility for them (common in fantasy baseball and basketball). They obviously play both DE and LB, so why not allow them the option? Make them a DE/OLB. A pretty simple solution, really.
Here's a link-

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2015/5/8/8576467/2015-nfl-draft-atlanta-falcons-list-1st-round-draft-pick-vic-beasley

And may I second the post about changing to a system with an EDGE player instead of DE v OLB.

IDP seems to always be tied to the software your league plays on, and how you can exploit the software to your advantage. How many times players were listed a certain way and whether or not you could play them that way on your site. I play on the the ESPN site and they had a designation of DE/LB for players in the past where our league you could play them in either slot (I don't see any like that this year so maybe they took that away). Also, ESPN basically has one day of the year where they make player positional changes so a player like Chandler Jones really is tough to determine what to do with at this time of year. Great DL but probably average to below average LB but if he was designated DE/LB and you could play him in the DL slot then great. Jerry Hughes appears to be the same way. Either way DL becomes more coveted. One reason why I traded for Aaron Donald and have held onto Gerald McCoy as DT's because I didn't feel they would be classified out of the DL position.

A commissioner can change a players position in MFL. So if your league doesn't like where he was put you should be able to tweak that.

As long as all the positions are set before a draft then everyone knows ahead of time and can rank the players accordingly.

A bit more trouble for dynasty leagues unless you lock in a position for X years or something.

I requested a few players today, MFL on twitter says if they get 2 requests they will add players too.

A commissioner can change a players position in MFL. So if your league doesn't like where he was put you should be able to tweak that.

As long as all the positions are set before a draft then everyone knows ahead of time and can rank the players accordingly.

A bit more trouble for dynasty leagues unless you lock in a position for X years or something.
skinny post said:
IDP seems to always be tied to the software your league plays on, and how you can exploit the software to your advantage. How many times players were listed a certain way and whether or not you could play them that way on your site. I play on the the ESPN site and they had a designation of DE/LB for players in the past where our league you could play them in either slot (I don't see any like that this year so maybe they took that away). Also, ESPN basically has one day of the year where they make player positional changes so a player like Chandler Jones really is tough to determine what to do with at this time of year. Great DL but probably average to below average LB but if he was designated DE/LB and you could play him in the DL slot then great. Jerry Hughes appears to be the same way. Either way DL becomes more coveted. One reason why I traded for Aaron Donald and have held onto Gerald McCoy as DT's because I didn't feel they would be classified out of the DL position.
Offensive players get added too when committees request too

@MyFantasyLeague on twitter told me they would add them if they get multiple requests.

FBG is currently syncing depth charts to NFL.com depth charts rather than MFL.
Why? The number of fantasy leagues that utilize the positions according to Rotoworld/MFL has got to be higher, at least around here, correct?
I'm still planning to default to MFL / Rotoworld in my positional tier features. And I'll continue to note which players are most at risk of a later re-classification.
Much appreciated, thank you.

Jerry Hughes now listed as a LB on MFL... that is garbage. Is that going to be a for sure this year for him? Rex runs a mix of 4-3 and 3-4 stuff, but is the base not a lot more of the 4-3?

Jerry Hughes now listed as a LB on MFL... that is garbage. Is that going to be a for sure this year for him? Rex runs a mix of 4-3 and 3-4 stuff, but is the base not a lot more of the 4-3?
that what the speculation is. as i recall, MFL will switch one more time as the preseason games indicate more defined player roles.

Carter_Can_Fly said:
so is Mario Williams. that's a bigger error imo.

Why are these guys now LB's. . It is why I asked about how much Julius Peppers in his role last year. But could not find the answer.

From Vic Carruci BuffaloNEWS

The Bills will be using a 3-4 base defense, as they have since the beginning of offseason workouts. Given that Dareus will anchor the line at nose tackle and Kyle Williams will be at one of the end positions, that leaves Bryant, Wynn, and Charles competing to fill the other end spot. All are worthy candidates, bringing the proper combination of power and quickness that are vital for a 3-4 end.

The only question at linebacker – where former 4-3 ends Mario Williams and Hughes are working outside and Bradham and Brown are inside – is who will provide depth? Ty Powell, a standout on special teams, has caught the eye of the coaches and figures to be the leading candidate for a primary backup role. Sixth-round draft pick Tony Steward – whom Ryan knows well from watching himPLAY at Clemson as a teammate of Ryan’s son, Seth – is also very much in the mix.

Brandon Spikes, who did a decent job with the Bills last season, is still available in free agency, but there’s no indication he will be coming back any time soon. It’s looking more and more as if any call he gets, whether from the Bills or another team, will be as an emergency fill-in because ofINJURY.

from the Sharkpool thread

BUF: Mario Williams from LB to DE
BUF: Jerry Hughes from LB to DE
BUF: Corbin Bryant from DT to DE
BUF: Michael Buchanan from LB to DE
BUF: Stefan Charles from DE to DT
BUF: Alex Carrington from DE to DT
BUF: Jarius Wynn from DE to DT
KC : Nick Williams from DT to DE
KC : Jaye Howard from DE to DT
TB : Da'Quan Bowers from DE to DT

Now Rotoworld has Mario Williams in the starting lineup for Buffalo twice, as DE and DT...Kyle Williams isn't listed at all. Meanwhile MFL has both guys listed as DE, so you're screwed it you are relying on Kyle in tackle required leagues.

Keep in mind there will be at least 1 more position change update before the season starts in early Sept, could be a 2nd one in a couple weeks as well.

bonscott said:
Keep in mind there will be at least 1 more position change update before the season starts in early Sept, could be a 2nd one in a couple weeks as well.
yup, and it better not be the day before the season starts. They got a lot of hate for that

Kyle Williams was just on NFL Radio saying that they run a 4-3 base defense. He even named the starting LBs and the list didn't include Mario or Hughes

FWIW, I talked to MFL customer support and they indicated one more position change update coming end of August.

I seriously doubt Rotoworld moves Buff of the 43 listing they have now. Kyle should get updated to DT tho.

Still wonder why Jerry Hughes back to DE. Hope he sticks there but it was a surprise.

Still wonder why Jerry Hughes back to DE. Hope he sticks there but it was a surprise.
Because of their base defense. Scroll up a few posts - their own player described it as a 4-3 on NFL radio a few days ago
Base defense you mean?

I hope he stays there because I'm tired of losing DE's to LB, but have read different evaluations and think this is better than what I hear a player say on the radio.

Think I'll wait and see how they play the next few games.

MFL will have one more huge update after the last pre-season game. Possible they do one here in mid August, just depends on how many solid changes there are. For in flux situations it makes no sense to change now only to change back in a couple weeks. Need at least a couple pre-season games to see what teams are actually doing vs. just camp and practices.

By the way, anyone can see the position changes at any time on MFL by going to Help > What's New menu item. There will be a link there for Player Position Changes.

bonscott said:
MFL will have one more huge update after the last pre-season game. Possible they do one here in mid August, just depends on how many solid changes there are. For in flux situations it makes no sense to change now only to change back in a couple weeks. Need at least a couple pre-season games to see what teams are actually doing vs. just camp and practices.

By the way, anyone can see the position changes at any time on MFL by going to Help > What's New menu item. There will be a link there for Player Position Changes.
Yes that's right, these are the all the most recent position changes. The last one was July 30th.

You can also look at Rotoworlds depth charts, MFL catches up with them eventually.

Add

MFL said their next update will be the end of the month.

Does MFL make changes during the season? Specifically wondering if Jared Allen becomes a DE since he is now listed one on the rotoworld depth chart.

That's contrary to anything I've ever seen or been told by MFL.
I remember MFL switching Kiwanuka from LB to DE due to Osi getting inj think. Might have been at the end of the preseason though but I at least remember it being after our draft because people scrambled to pick him up after the change

That's contrary to anything I've ever seen or been told by MFL.
I asked them this very question at the end of preseason this year in a support ticket.

This is their response...

"No, we generally do not. I think a few years ago an offensive player changed in mid-season and there was overwhelming support to change it in the system, but otherwise we leave them alone during the season"

Users who are viewing this thread