What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Groundhog Day is the Best Movie Ever (1 Viewer)

Agree?

• Yep

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Top 5

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Top 10

Votes: 18 12.2%
  • Top 50

Votes: 46 31.3%
  • Top 100

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I'm a stupid person.

Votes: 31 21.1%

• Total voters
Not a huge movie person, but one of the few I have watch several times. Behind My Cousin Vinny, but still Too 10 for me.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl. We ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters.

Top 50 maybe, also Jon Rauch is a stud and probably slept with your sister. :bye:
Better check the temperature in hell: Dr. Death and the Promoter of Peace agree on something.

Love this movie. Have seen it at least 10 times (reminds me I'm overdue to see it again).

Small detail that will likely only interest me: you know the Panasonic alarm clock with the flip tiles that would go off at 6:00 am every morning? I received that exact model as a Christmas gift from my father when I was about 10.

Loved that clock, and love that the clock was in one of my favorite movies.

Top 20 comedy

Actually, not sure if its that high.

What's better Groundhog Day or What About Bob?

Last edited by a moderator:
It has not aged well.

A few funny spots hold up well, but overall it is now in meh territory
Yep.

It was within the last 5 years that I saw it for the first time. Just not that good unless you have the nostalgia of liking it when you were younger.

Girlfriend happened across it the other night and wanted to watch it.

Other than Andie McDowell's nasty nineties vest, it still holds up well.

There's a story I heard a while back, there was supposed to be some interfaith religious conference, where various leaders from different denominations were going to get together and talk about their religions adjusting to the modern world. There were going to be priests, bishops, rabbis, imams, swamis, monks, et cetera, someone for everyone from every big religion.

Anyway, one of the panels was going to be about using mainstream movies to convey ideas about religion. The organizer of the conference asked everyone who was going to appear on the panel to pick a movie that they felt they could use to talk about their religion. Well, just about everyone from every religion picked Groundhog Day as "their" movie. The Catholics, the Buddhists, the Jews, everyone wanted to stake a claim.

I think there ended up being a fight about which religion would get to present it.
I have no idea how this makes any sense at all.

There's a story I heard a while back, there was supposed to be some interfaith religious conference, where various leaders from different denominations were going to get together and talk about their religions adjusting to the modern world. There were going to be priests, bishops, rabbis, imams, swamis, monks, et cetera, someone for everyone from every big religion.

Anyway, one of the panels was going to be about using mainstream movies to convey ideas about religion. The organizer of the conference asked everyone who was going to appear on the panel to pick a movie that they felt they could use to talk about their religion. Well, just about everyone from every religion picked Groundhog Day as "their" movie. The Catholics, the Buddhists, the Jews, everyone wanted to stake a claim.

I think there ended up being a fight about which religion would get to present it.
Yup. It was a Museum of Modern Art series on faith in film:

When the Museum of Modern Art in New York debuted a film series on “The Hidden God: Film and Faith” two years ago, it opened with Groundhog Day. The rest of the films were drawn from the ranks of turgid and bleak intellectual cinema, including standards from Ingmar Bergman and Roberto Rossellini. According to the New York Times, curators of the series were stunned to discover that so many of the 35 leading literary and religious scholars who had been polled to pick the series entries had chosen Groundhog Day that a spat had broken out among the scholars over who would get to write about the film for the catalogue. In a wonderful essay for the Christian magazine Touchstone, theology professor Michael P. Foley wrote that Groundhog Day is “a stunning allegory of moral, intellectual, and even religious excellence in the face of postmodern decay, a sort of Christian-Aristotelian Pilgrim’s Progress for those lost in the contemporary cosmos.” Charles Murray, author of Human Accomplishment, has cited Groundhog Day more than once as one of the few cultural achievements of recent times that will be remembered centuries from now. He was quoted in The New Yorker declaring, “It is a brilliant moral fable offering an Aristotelian view of the world.”
link

Last edited by a moderator:

I have no idea how this makes any sense at all.
If I had to guess I would say it is a brilliant moral fable offering an Aristotelian view of the world. Just a guess though.

Users who are viewing this thread