What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What staring RB's will lose their jobs to backups/rookies this yea (1 Viewer)

Lamar Miller

Tre Mason

Donald Brown

Denard Robinson/Toby Gerhart

Devante Freeman

Just off the top of my head

Lamar Miller

Tre Mason

Donald Brown

Devante Freeman

Of this list, only Lamar Miller is definitely going to be starter going into year.. Tre Mason could be if Gurley isn't healthy but the rest are COP/backups

I do like the Lamar Miller call. I also think Joique Bell could be supplanted by in year one by Ameer Abdullah

Why so down on Lamar Miller? What exactly does the guy have to do? He was basically top 5 for the last quarter of the season.

Why so down on Lamar Miller? What exactly does the guy have to do? He was basically top 5 for the last quarter of the season.
I'm reading the tea leaves. I don't believe Miami sees him as their future back.
Hmmm. Ok. Could just as easily make the case that Miami figured a 5th round pick was reasonable to use as insurance, esp on a back like Ajayi. Hard to understand why Ajayi dropped so much, but I won't second guess 32 highly paid medical staffs with access to MRI images.

To me, Miller and L. Murray are two of the most exciting possible breakout backs this year. Could see either one of them blowing up.

I'm reading the tea leaves. I don't believe Miami sees him as their future back.
Hmmm. Ok. Could just as easily make the case that Miami figured a 5th round pick was reasonable to use as insurance, esp on a back like Ajayi. Hard to understand why Ajayi dropped so much, but I won't second guess 32 highly paid medical staffs with access to MRI images.

To me, Miller and L. Murray are two of the most exciting possible breakout backs this year. Could see either one of them blowing up.
Twitter is on fire with quotes form coaches promoting Ajayi as a complete, three down back. Quotes, by the way, that you NEVER found about the guys they currently have rostered. The guy is not the future in Miami. The sooner you get on board with that, the better off your team will be. Nothing against Miller. It just shouldn't take a guy 4 years to finally show promise. I think it's too late and I think you know it's too late. A fresh start in Dallas may be what the doctor ordered but Miami ain't it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I trust Twitter more than an MRI.

Whatever.

If Miami lets Miller go bc of economics, I am sure someone will give a job to a 24 y/o with several years in the league, blazing speed, good receiving hands, and NO ARTHRITIS, So Miller has value.

The original question was whether he would lose his job. The MOST recent data about his playing ability - the last part of the 2014 season - was very encouraging.

As you put it, everything else is "tea leaves". I prefer data.

Backs who might lose their job:

Bell in Detroit

Sankey in Tenn

Maybe Stewart in Carolina

What does an MRI have to do with how the Dolphins feel about Miller? Are you confused? Are we even on the same topic?

You posted: "Twitter is on fire with quotes form coaches promoting Ajayi as a complete, three down back."

I had previously brought up concerns with Ajayi's MRI, which was evaluated by 32 medical staffs with highly paid orthopedic surgeons. Their concern was that Ajayi has a "bone on bone" condition, which has a high probability of leading to premature arthritis. These concerns caused Ajayi to drop to the 5th round.

So then I said I would rather trust an MRI than trust Twitter comments.

Don't project your problems with reading comprehension onto me. Who is "confused"?

To get back to the original question:

Sankey

Bell

Frank Gore***

Triple Astrix.

1) They'll limit his closer carries.

2) They'll limit his carries in general.

3) Gore is known for his work ethic and Josh Robinson seems to have those traits. I think Gore will take him under his wing.

Also, to be honest there's a chance either Gore has lost a step or gets hurt. This hurts my heart to even say.

Edit: He won't completely lose his job but he could end up on the wrong side of a split.

You posted: "Twitter is on fire with quotes form coaches promoting Ajayi as a complete, three down back."

I had previously brought up concerns with Ajayi's MRI, which was evaluated by 32 medical staffs with highly paid orthopedic surgeons. Their concern was that Ajayi has a "bone on bone" condition, which has a high probability of leading to premature arthritis. These concerns caused Ajayi to drop to the 5th round.

Don't project your problems with reading comprehension onto me. Who is "confused"?

Sankey

Bell
You missed it.

Twitter = news about Ajayi's role in the offense

Twitter =/ news about Ajayi's health

My post:

Twitter is on fire with quotes form coaches promoting Ajayi as a complete, three down back. Quotes, by the way, that you NEVER found about the guys they currently have rostered. The guy is not the future in Miami. The sooner you get on board with that, the better off your team will be. Nothing against Miller. It just shouldn't take a guy 4 years to finally show promise. I think it's too late and I think you know it's too late. A fresh start in Dallas may be what the doctor ordered but Miami ain't it.

Nothing in here even mentions health yet you took it upon yourself to compare Twitter to MRIs and doctors. But let's not fill this page with any more ridiculousness. You believe in Miller. I dont. Good day sir. Oh, and I liked your post for good measure!

FWIW, It's not a secret that Miami coaching staff/front office has never fully gotten behind Lamar Miller as their feature back and while he's been productive for stretches it's not as if he's been a world beater. He had over 100 yards twice last season and both Damien Williams & Knowshon looked good with limited touches. And although he didn't miss any games he was limited due injuries.

Besides Ajayi, I think Damien Williams has the talent to make some noise. I think people drafting him at his current ADP will be disappointed.

I have a weird feeling that Morris, Forsett or Gore will lose their job this year. No real reason just a hunch.

Joique Bell

Tre Mason

Donald Brown

Doug Martin

Andre Ellington

Dendard Robinson / Toby Gerhart

I'm not sold on Coleman so I think Freeman may hang on awhile. Morris ain't going anywhere yet. Not sure how Reshad Jennings / Vereen will shake out. Dallas is anyone's guess.

Whatever.

If Miami lets Miller go bc of economics, I am sure someone will give a job to a 24 y/o with several years in the league, blazing speed, good receiving hands, and NO ARTHRITIS, So Miller has value.

The original question was whether he would lose his job. The MOST recent data about his playing ability - the last part of the 2014 season - was very encouraging.

Bell in Detroit

Sankey in Tenn

I'm a Miller owner and it would not surprise me in the least if he lost his job. This coaching staff has never committed to him and never seemed to trust him even when he played really well last year. His hands are also pretty poor IMO.

Whatever.

Bell in Detroit

Sankey in Tenn

I'm a Miller owner and it would not surprise me in the least if he lost his job. This coaching staff has never committed to him and never seemed to trust him even when he played really well last year. His hands are also pretty poor IMO.
Solid post. Makes sense.

who is Alfred Morris losing a start to ?
Joique Bell

Tre Mason

Donald Brown

Doug Martin

Andre Ellington

Dendard Robinson / Toby Gerhart

I'm not sold on Coleman so I think Freeman may hang on awhile. Morris ain't going anywhere yet. Not sure how Reshad Jennings / Vereen will shake out. Dallas is anyone's guess.
A lot of people divided on Coleman, but Jason Wood rates him pretty highly(Waldman does not).

Since when is Donald Brown a starting RB? On the depth charts I've seen he's 4th behind Gordon, Oliver and Woodhead.

Lamar Miller

Tre Mason

Donald Brown

Devante Freeman

the miller hate is baffling. i like ajayi but miller is no joke.

gurley will surpass mason, draft stock says so.

gordon wakes up out of bed and takes the job from brown.

everything points to yeldon starting from the jump.

this one is tricky, how many are sure coleman is even better than freeman? freeman was just the guy everyone was stoked about until they take a rb in the third round? now he is useless? rookie fever is something to exploit when you can.

Forsett. You don't see too many journey men running backs break out at his age.
Who's gonna supplant him though? They made no real effort in the draft or in free agency. I'd say his job is safe for 2015 at least.
I traded him away prior to the NFL draft but I agree. While Forsett is a "journeyman", he's always shown to be a talented back when given opportunities and has been stuck behind some solid NFL backs. I like Buck Allen a bunch but as a rookie he's likely not going to surpass a back like Forsett coming off a huge season and now playing in a system that may be even better for his skillset, as he's a very effective back in the passing game.

Forsett. You don't see too many journey men running backs break out at his age.
Who's gonna supplant him though? They made no real effort in the draft or in free agency. I'd say his job is safe for 2015 at least.
I traded him away prior to the NFL draft but I agree. While Forsett is a "journeyman", he's always shown to be a talented back when given opportunities and has been stuck behind some solid NFL backs. I like Buck Allen a bunch but as a rookie he's likely not going to surpass a back like Forsett coming off a huge season and now playing in a system that may be even better for his skillset, as he's a very effective back in the passing game.
I generally agree with this, however it is nice to see that Allen has impressed his coaches to this point. I see a likely 70/30 split this year and go from there in 2017.

Sankey

Bell
You missed it.

Twitter = news about Ajayi's role in the offense

Twitter =/ news about Ajayi's health

My post:

Nothing in here even mentions health yet you took it upon yourself to compare Twitter to MRIs and doctors. But let's not fill this page with any more ridiculousness. You believe in Miller. I dont. Good day sir. Oh, and I liked your post for good measure!
Just because a RB is a 3-down back doesn't mean he's the best RB on the roster at any of those 3 downs. Joique Bell is a complete back who has always been paired with a more electric back...and it just happened to him again. Who here is afraid of Alfred Morris losing his job to a more complete back on the roster?

Since we're talking about the amount of usage a RB will have...because this is about starting RB's...tweets about role don't give the whole story any more than do blurbs about medical issues.

If Miami was looking to replace Miller, they aren't going to go into the draft with a plan to wait till the 5th and see who's there. The Ajayi pick was a BPA pick. It was opportunistic in nature. It wasn't planned.

That said, is Ajayi a talented RB who has a shot to replace Miller? Absolutely. He brings a power element that Miller hasn't ever had. That's been the knock on Miller. But the question will be how these two compare to each other across the spectrum of abilities. But in today's NFL, coaches aren't shy about using RB's in niche roles. So unless a RB is the best RB on that roster across all or most niches, there's no guarantee that he isn't going to give way to the best RB on the roster for any given niche role.

Doug Martin

CJ Anderson

Whoever starts in Cleveland

Alfred Morris
I think West is the odd man out in Cleveland right now. Things can change in training camp, but I think Pettine likes Crowell a little more.

I think Crowell and Duke will split time in the beginning but Duke can walk away with the job if he proves worthy. He's got a huge upside in PPR leagues. The Brown's have been talking non-stop about how they plan to use the RB's more in the passing game and he fits that plan.

Lamar Miller

Tre Mason

Donald Brown

Devante Freeman

this one is tricky, how many are sure coleman is even better than freeman? freeman was just the guy everyone was stoked about until they take a rb in the third round? now he is useless? rookie fever is something to exploit when you can.
My sentiments exactly! Also, go listen to Bloom and Waldman discuss Coleman's fit in the Falcon offense. Seems like a pretty mystifying draft selection.

As much as I love Gurley, I'm thinking Mason is a great pick in redraft leagues. Gurley has to overcome the ACL tear, which happened late in the season, and has to pick up the NFL game. At worst, I see Mason having solid value the first half of the season. Again, Im not talking dynasty.

As for Miller, he definitely wore down at the end of games and the season for that matter, but was pretty consistent and is playing for a payday. He really would be an excellent fit for the 2016 Cowboys. It probably won't happen, but it's in the back of mind when drafting in dynasty leagues

A lot of these aren't really even in question.

I'll go out on a limb and say Artis-Payne ends the season as the Panthers starting RB(maybe even the bell cow). He was a player I was hoping SD was targeting before they wisely chewed up a 1st/4th/5th on their RBBC back. Stewart..... well, enough said. I don't think Todman is anything more than a small part of a RBBC guy. Fozzy has bounced around and I think we've seen his ceiling already. People bring up Tolbert as if he weren't turning 30 this season, and coming off SEASON totals of 78 yards rushing and 93 yards receiving.

People look at the round he was drafted as if that were some kind of condemnation but this was a deep RB draft in a position that is drastically devalued. Artis-Payne may not be a "special" runner but I look around and I don't see a lot of "special" competition for carries in that Panther backfield.

Jonathan Stewart is an easy one. Artis-Payne has plenty of talent as a runner (TBD on the pass game), but the next Stewart injury will be the door opening for CAP.

Lamar Miller

Tre Mason

Donald Brown

Devante Freeman

My sentiments exactly! Also, go listen to Bloom and Waldman discuss Coleman's fit in the Falcon offense. Seems like a pretty mystifying draft selection.

As much as I love Gurley, I'm thinking Mason is a great pick in redraft leagues. Gurley has to overcome the ACL tear, which happened late in the season, and has to pick up the NFL game. At worst, I see Mason having solid value the first half of the season. Again, Im not talking dynasty.

As for Miller, he definitely wore down at the end of games and the season for that matter, but was pretty consistent and is playing for a payday. He really would be an excellent fit for the 2016 Cowboys. It probably won't happen, but it's in the back of mind when drafting in dynasty leagues
No he didnt, better check that again. he got better as the season went on. thats the type of comments that is driving the hate for miller for some reason. 5.1 ypc is not average, it is actually elite. How many players over 200 carries average 5+ yard per carry in the NFL this past year? The answer is 4. Charles, Hill, Miller and Forsett.

As a matter of fact he had the same ypc as Hill, and comparable stats overall and Hill be considered a Top 10 dyno back and Miller being an after thought. I would also say Bernard is more of a threat than Ajayi at this point.

Hill 222/1124/9

Miller 216/1099/8

Whats the difference? Say it together with me, HYPE!

Andre Ellington, if anyone considers him 'having it' currently
That's a tougher one to me.

I think people will just use the, "Well, he didn't really lose his job he was just never 100% healthy" excuse. How often is that guy 100% healthy again?
This is what confuses me with what some of the masses/people think.

Ellington under performed and the Cards draft a RB in the 3rd round and people still like Ellington and are talking less about Johnson then they are Ajayi.

Miller has a great season and the Dolphins draft a RB in the 5th round and Miller is going to lose his job.

:loco:

Andre Ellington, if anyone considers him 'having it' currently
That's a tougher one to me.

I think people will just use the, "Well, he didn't really lose his job he was just never 100% healthy" excuse. How often is that guy 100% healthy again?
IMO he's not built to withstand being a starting RB. They just drafted a RB in the 3rd who looks to me like a bigger version of Jerick McKinnon. I'll be absolutely shocked if Johnson isn't starting week 1.

Users who are viewing this thread