Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Derrick Henry, Titans

1,863 posts in this topic

He looks like a larger Darren McFadden to me......

Trent Richardson, Eddie Lacy, and TJ Yeldon give me pause.

I suspect that I myself could rush for 1,000 yards behind the Alabama o-line.

Current FBG dynasty rankings have Yeldon, Ingram, and Lacy as the #4, #7, and #9 dynasty backs.

3 people like this

Ingram, Lacy and to a smaller extent Yeldon (who is a rookie) have been excellent NFL backs. Richardson should have been, but he turned out to be a lazy head case.

Looked pretty unimpressive today, IMO. Seemed slow and unable to really hit the hole.

Current FBG dynasty rankings have Yeldon, Ingram, and Lacy as the #4, #7, and #9 dynasty backs.

Kilgore, on the other hand, is lagging back somewhere in quadrulpe digits.

Henry's about to teach Yeldon how to appropriately live up to the hype you generated as a young part-time runner, when given the starting job.

Wouldn't hold my breath

Henry's about to teach Yeldon how to appropriately live up to the hype you generated as a young part-time runner, when given the starting job.

More like teach Yeldon how Alabama backs are suppose to bust. But seriously I don't see the hype about him. He looks good but I don't see the appeal of a world beater from what I've seen.

Now holds the records for rushing yards in High School nationally and the SEC. :thumbup:

More like teach Yeldon how Alabama backs are suppose to bust. But seriously I don't see the hype about him. He looks good but I don't see the appeal of a world beater from what I've seen.

Really? Dude looks and plays like the best rb prospect since Peterson (with all due respect to Gurley).

I'd consider trading a ton to get him but don't have a top 6 pick in any league so it would be extremely hard to trade, especially given the risk that the Bama line is the biggest reason for his success.

if he ends up in Dallas, the hype will be out of control.

Really? Dude looks and plays like the best rb prospect since Peterson (with all due respect to Gurley).

I'd consider trading a ton to get him but don't have a top 6 pick in any league so it would be extremely hard to trade, especially given the risk that the Bama line is the biggest reason for his success.

Unbelievable

Henry is a good college RB and great athlete for his size. However, he has a horrible body type for the RB position. Long legs/top heavy have made it difficult for him to maintain his balance, cut outside of his frame, stop/start, and lateral agility beyond a 45 degree angle. Go watch the Auburn tape at draftbreakdown, he falls down all the time...due to his body type. He's a downhill runner that needs a good OL to succeed. Other runners that are quick and have lateral agility can compensate for a worse OL. Henry would be miserable behind a bad OL. If you watch tape, Bama creates a running game that's downhill and holds backside DE's with jet sweeps to allow for a less than 45 degree angle cutback inside of that DE if Henry needs to. Straight ahead running only works with a great OL...not many of those exist in the NFL.

He's a worse version of DMC. Remember DMC in Oakland? Long legs prevented him from avoiding all of the defenders in the backfield because he didn't possess the agility. The OL was terrible and got owned by defensive fronts. Now in Dallas DMC is a solid RB in his late years. This is exactly what Henry needs.

1 person likes this

I think Henry and Elliott are both "can't miss" prospects.

They're both not elite prospects and people will overhype them because they're simply the top this year. But they can't hold Gurley/AP's jock and those are the only can't miss RB prospects recently.

You're not respecting what kind of prospect Gurley was... Henry looks good but he's more Blount than Gurley is the nicest way I could put it. I won't be surprised if Henry has a solid NFL career but he is no AP or Gurley and it really isn't very close.

You're not respecting what kind of prospect Gurley was... Henry looks good but he's more Blount than Gurley is the nicest way I could put it. I won't be surprised if Henry has a solid NFL career but he is no AP or Gurley and it really isn't very close.

Looked back at Gurley and you're right.

I do think he's better than McFadden.

I recently saw stats of his over-usage in HS. Everyone speaks of his mileage in college but he did share the rock with Yeldon.

Is this talk overblown or should this be a concern with him?

I recently saw stats of his over-usage in HS. Everyone speaks of his mileage in college but he did share the rock with Yeldon.

Of all the things I would worry about for a rookie RB, this would be low on my list.

Of all the things I would worry about for a rookie RB, this would be low on my list.

Really? I feel like I've been hearing this type talk since ol Ricky Williams.

Not saying this doesn't get brought up. Just saying that I put way more stock in the actual player vs. how many carries they had in college or high school. Like I'm not not drafting Henry because of this

Not saying this doesn't get brought up. Just saying that I put way more stock in the actual player vs. how many carries they had in college or high school. Like I'm not not drafting Henry because of this

The better a RB is, the more carries he gets (over time). I wouldn't start worrying about this until he's 28 or so, and if you're worrying about it at that time then he's been a successful dynasty rookie draft pick and it's a conversation worth having at that time.

I think he has a HUGE season this year. Brandon Jacobs was a battering ram, I see some James Wilder Sr. and a bit of Latavius Murray with Henry being a bit slower but heavier.

He's about 15-1 to win the heisman and I'm looking to buy.

Always listen to your gut. The site I used chopped him down to 8-1 while Vegas had him at about 14-1 at the time so I didn't put anything down as I felt they squeezed the value out.

One thing to remember when you are forming opinions this offseason: this isn't the type of dominant Oline that Bama has had in the past.

Ingram and Trent ran behind truly special lines.

Don't get me wrong, the line is solid, but it's not any different than any of the other good teams out there IMO. Not a team strength.

One thing to remember when you are forming opinions this offseason: this isn't the type of dominant Oline that Bama has had in the past.

Don't get me wrong, the line is solid, but it's not any different than any of the other good teams out there IMO. Not a team strength.

Sounds perfect for the Titans, where his FB is already. Another reason to trade down

Rotoworld:

Derrick Henry - RB - Crimson Tide

Alabama junior RB Derrick Henry rushed for 75 yards and two touchdowns on 20 carries in Thursday's 38-0 deconstruction of Michigan State in the Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic.

Credit where credit is due, Michigan State limited 2015's Heisman Trophy winner to 3.8 YPC. Henry's long run went for just 12 yards. Granted, shutting him down was just about the only thing that Sparty did well, but still, credit. The 6-foot-3, 238-pound junior scored his requisite pair of touchdowns, anyway, plunging in from one yard out in the second quarter for Alabama's first score of the contest. He book-ended that with an 11-yard scoring run in the fourth quarter. The latter was his 25th touchdown of the season. With the 75 yards rushing, Henry failed to hit the century mark for just the fourth time in 14 games. He'll have a shot to get back there on January 11 when Clemson comes calling.

Jan 1 - 12:29 AM

Sounds perfect for the Titans, where his FB is already. Another reason to trade down
Trade down? Word is he'll be available in the 2nd.http://walterfootball.com/draft2016_2.php Edited by FUBAR

Trade down? Word is he'll be available in the 2nd.http://walterfootball.com/draft2016_2.php

Yeah, he'll fall right into their laps if things stay as they are. I just don't think Elliot is the only first round worthy RB and the offseason workouts and film review will bump some up to round one

Trade down? Word is he'll be available in the 2nd.http://walterfootball.com/draft2016_2.php

Yeah, he'll fall right into their laps if things stay as they are. I just don't think Elliot is the only first round worthy RB and the offseason workouts and film review will bump some up to round one

Sure, someone probably will rise. Just don't think that will be Henry.

That is an interesting take. Honestly, I thought the opposite. Nice 50 yard TD run, but that was one of those 3rd and 1 type plays where you crowd the line and call the right play where the D is not covering and bam, long TD. I won't take away the long run, but the other carries were 108 yards on 34 carries. After that run, I wasn't impressed with him. Yes, big guy, but in the NFL, everyone is bigger. Maybe I am wrong, but he just seemed like a big guy who maybe does OK in short yardage. 35 carries and you'd expect a big guy like that to wear down the defense. I remember seeing a few times where #25 (195 pound CB) was able to get him down without a lot of fuss.

I've watched Elliott a few times and Henry mainly on Monday night and IMHO, the NFL talent isn't close. I see Elliott as a legit NFL RB and Henry as a big guy. Maybe in the right spot with a great QB, but I don't see him being a good NFL RB.

I'm convinced that in the right system, Henry could put up massive numbers. But if he's in the wrong system, he could fail spectacularly.

Sometimes we need combine numbers to confirm our suspicions. I'll be looking at his acceleration numbers. How quickly can he hit the hole? Ingram never ran a great 40 time, but his ten yard split was great, if I remember correctly.

Henry is far outside the norm, in terms of body type. When given the chance to produce, he produces. He does attack the LOS, he's a great short yardage runner, and when he can get that big frame moving downfield, he's got surprising speed.

But when teams stack the box, is he agile enough to make things happen? When the holes are smaller, can he attack the holes quick enough? Good questions that I don't have answers for yet.

I'm convinced that in the right system, Henry could put up massive numbers. But if he's in the wrong system, he could fail spectacularly.

Sometimes we need combine numbers to confirm our suspicions. I'll be looking at his acceleration numbers. How quickly can he hit the hole? Ingram never ran a great 40 time, but his ten yard split was great, if I remember correctly.

Henry is far outside the norm, in terms of body type. When given the chance to produce, he produces. He does attack the LOS, he's a great short yardage runner, and when he can get that big frame moving downfield, he's got surprising speed.

But when teams stack the box, is he agile enough to make things happen? When the holes are smaller, can he attack the holes quick enough? Good questions that I don't have answers for yet.

The last part is what concers me. Anyone in the right situation should produce, but he went down way too easily against DBs and didn't really move the pile like I thought he would. Not saying he's bad or won't be good, but I never saw anything like I did with Elliott. As we've seen its hard to judge Arabs out of Alabama because there's so much talent around them.

That's an unfortunate auto-correct.

:lmao:

That's an unfortunate auto-correct.

LOL

Anywho, I'm shaky on Henry as a prospect. Even if he proves he can run solidly in the NFL, he's really not good in the passing game which limits his potential upside anyways. So at most he's a 2 down back and in on obvious rushing situations where teams can stack the box and put more bodies in his way. Which then brings us to his lateral agility and ability to accelerate from stop to start and from what I've seen, isn't a plus for him.

With the way the NFL is changing at the RB position more and more teams are looking for RBs that open up the playbook and give them more options if you will. Power RBs still have a place but not in the traditional way they used to. Having a RB that doesn't affect the passing game really limits an offense IMO so we will see how high he will get drafted, but my feeling is he won't be drafted in the 1st round.