Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Derrick Henry, Titans

1,863 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, Jello_Biafra said:

Has he, or hasn't he had the chance to break out? Put him on Dallas, and feed him like Zeke. He'd be a monster. The Titans are a joke of an organization and have no clue how to run an offense. 

I don't know. I used to believe this to fuel my own ego because I could not possibly be wrong about Henry but I'm starting to doubt it.  DeMarco was a beast when he was there.  I'm starting to think Henry just sucks.

Robiske's 2016 offense was solid and a lot of us liked it. They had the beast to block and run over anyone and they had enough at WR that Ds had to respect it, and a QB that is very fast for a runner.

In 2017, with a big ego, the former longtime WR coach who played WR and had a son play WR in the NFL, he decided to run a 3 TE offense and a high school offense where the WRs were lined up next to the TE like h-backs or split ends. It was so difficult for the WRs and TE to get open and one scout charted more than 80% of Mariota's passes had to be forced because of it. With everyone in the center of the field, it was easy to stop the run and put 8 in the box. Murray and Henry (and the line) had to beast like they were on the goalline every play.

JRob was willing to keep Mularkey and gave him a raise and began to discuss raises with his staff. During a year end wrapup presser, Mularkey answer Kuharksy's Qs (guessing, been a while)his players need to execute- they will not make changes to a struggling offense, but insist everything will work well if executed. He refused to changed his OC and said he scripted some of the revamped offense and wouldn't blame Robiske. By the end, he had been so stuck in his ways and unwilling to change that Jrob and the owner met with him to verify and then fired him, eating the contract he just signed.

In 2018, Vrabel decided to hire a clever OC who worked in Atlanta and then for the Rams as the...helper guy. His title was OC, but the head coach designed the offense and called the plays. The QB was a project they were making the game simple for, so the HC was also the primary QB coach. He is very young for a coach, but he nailed his head coach interview with JRob. Once Vrabel was hired, JRob insisted Vrabel meet him because of how well their interview went. While telling two football legends they wouldn't be invited back (Lebeau and Grimm) he went through interviews and couldn't get LaFleur and his ideas out of his mind. He couldn't get over his age, but he was young to be a head coach so he was gonna follow his gut and hire LaFleur. 

Vrabel and LaFleur watched every practice since JRob was hired, every workout, and every game. When available, the scouting dept even charted some players for them. LaFleur was to not create Rams 2.0 but to create an offense that is a combination of what worked for this team under Mularkey, what worked with the Rams, and what Vrabel loved as a player especially in NE. The offense was awful during the spring. They left for the time before training camp with plans to readjust it to improve everything. They also installed plays for a UDFA runner that had been lighting up their D all spring. 

Vrabel cut 9 of 10 players that he gave camp awards to for their effort, hustle, dedication, and/or success. During week one there were a million breaks due to the weather and the OC changed up every time. He had a dopey philosophy of using runners in certain quarters rather than certain situations and....on and on, it was a super ugly game and the longest game in NFL history.

Week two was with Blaine Gabbert only throwing darts and somehow they won. 

Week three was more of Gabbert and somehow they won when Mariota gutted out a 4th Q where he couldn't feel his hand 100%

Vrabel continued to show support for LaFleur but also that they would have to discuss the offense and getting the running game going. 

Week four was a beautiful, outstanding aerial attack and an amazing game by Mariota. He easily could have had 450 yards if WRs didn't drop gimmes.

Week 5, they seemed to dust off some Patriot plays of quick screens and reverses but forgot BB doesn't call them every single down. Then they went to Mularkey's 3 TE offense but umm they cut their beast blocking TEs to get more athletic ones so that was brutal but Henry did pretty well beasting in the mess. Because Henry did well, they ran a million plays in a row to Lewis where everyone in the free world knew it was going to him. Then they used Mularkey's O where the WRs were split ends and that worked just as bad as previously. Then they FINALLY went into a 3 WR set but WRs dropped balls and pulled up on their routes while the best WR in camp was benched for a fumble and last year's top WR was planning his trip to Cleveland. 

If you ignore week four, LaFleur should be fired and Vrabel should get some sort of warning for allowing it to be done by his staff member. Week 4 was incredible though. One of MM8s best games and just beautiful. Sooo LaFleur "lives" and gets more time.

I don't fault JRob for hiring Vrabel or most of the players he drafted. Neither for getting rid of Mularkey and Robiske or being stuck supporting his new coach as he removed a couple legends from the staff. Vrabel and LaFleur did the research and should be prepared to succeed. LaFleur is just stinking.

Vrabel is a former LB that played FB, played under BB, read extensively about Cowher and Parcells and adored them, and oh by the way calls Joe Gibbs "the classic coach." He was thrilled to take over the exotic smashmouth offense and looked like a giddy little boy when he was asked about having two great young tackles. I have no idea what went through Vrabel's head as to what his offense would look like on this day, before he hired LaFleur, but I can guaran(curse) tee you it was tough, power running.

He talked about running AT JJ Watt and practiced running at Casey all summer. They signed a former blocking TE and he about fell in love with Mularkey's coach's pet David Fluellen who plays FB and RB and hustles his tail off.

Whether it's the added plays for Wadley, the power running games that influenced him, or his personality, there is no way that this offense is HIS. (Not to mention how JRob admires BB and BP)

He has to be the boss now. Vrabel has to get LaFleur to do things in his style or risk losing his own job. The Titans won a playoff game and Vrabel was hired to improve them and take them to the promised land. In many stats they are worse. Pees seems to be getting ahold of the defense and trying his best in ways that make a lot of sense. Their weak pass D put up awesome stats last week, but they lost the great pressure they'd been applying. He's got some kinks but there is obvious improvement and coaching going on.  It is so forced and so ugly on offense it's ridiculous. We may not know when it happens but you can be darn sure that when the Titans use a power run game, Vrabel exerted some authority over his OC. 

I'm sick of Vrabel's ego but otherwise I'm still 50/50 on his coaching ability. He made a lot of player moves and almost all have flopped. They were "this close" to being 4-1 though. He just has to find a way to get his OC straightenned out. Special teams may be the best in the NFL, the D is fine with a lot of promise, he's gotta get the third part of the game fixed up. When in doubt, pick a Bill and make it like theirs. The Titans have the horses to run those types of offenses.

5 people like this

Oh hell no I ain’t reading that 

12 people like this

1 hour ago, Bri said:

Robiske's 2016 offense was solid and a lot of us liked it. They had the beast to block and run over anyone and they had enough at WR that Ds had to respect it, and a QB that is very fast for a runner.

In 2017, with a big ego, the former longtime WR coach who played WR and had a son play WR in the NFL, he decided to run a 3 TE offense and a high school offense where the WRs were lined up next to the TE like h-backs or split ends. It was so difficult for the WRs and TE to get open and one scout charted more than 80% of Mariota's passes had to be forced because of it. With everyone in the center of the field, it was easy to stop the run and put 8 in the box. Murray and Henry (and the line) had to beast like they were on the goalline every play.

JRob was willing to keep Mularkey and gave him a raise and began to discuss raises with his staff. During a year end wrapup presser, Mularkey answer Kuharksy's Qs (guessing, been a while)his players need to execute- they will not make changes to a struggling offense, but insist everything will work well if executed. He refused to changed his OC and said he scripted some of the revamped offense and wouldn't blame Robiske. By the end, he had been so stuck in his ways and unwilling to change that Jrob and the owner met with him to verify and then fired him, eating the contract he just signed.

In 2018, Vrabel decided to hire a clever OC who worked in Atlanta and then for the Rams as the...helper guy. His title was OC, but the head coach designed the offense and called the plays. The QB was a project they were making the game simple for, so the HC was also the primary QB coach. He is very young for a coach, but he nailed his head coach interview with JRob. Once Vrabel was hired, JRob insisted Vrabel meet him because of how well their interview went. While telling two football legends they wouldn't be invited back (Lebeau and Grimm) he went through interviews and couldn't get LaFleur and his ideas out of his mind. He couldn't get over his age, but he was young to be a head coach so he was gonna follow his gut and hire LaFleur. 

Vrabel and LaFleur watched every practice since JRob was hired, every workout, and every game. When available, the scouting dept even charted some players for them. LaFleur was to not create Rams 2.0 but to create an offense that is a combination of what worked for this team under Mularkey, what worked with the Rams, and what Vrabel loved as a player especially in NE. The offense was awful during the spring. They left for the time before training camp with plans to readjust it to improve everything. They also installed plays for a UDFA runner that had been lighting up their D all spring. 

Vrabel cut 9 of 10 players that he gave camp awards to for their effort, hustle, dedication, and/or success. During week one there were a million breaks due to the weather and the OC changed up every time. He had a dopey philosophy of using runners in certain quarters rather than certain situations and....on and on, it was a super ugly game and the longest game in NFL history.

Week two was with Blaine Gabbert only throwing darts and somehow they won. 

Week three was more of Gabbert and somehow they won when Mariota gutted out a 4th Q where he couldn't feel his hand 100%

Vrabel continued to show support for LaFleur but also that they would have to discuss the offense and getting the running game going. 

Week four was a beautiful, outstanding aerial attack and an amazing game by Mariota. He easily could have had 450 yards if WRs didn't drop gimmes.

Week 5, they seemed to dust off some Patriot plays of quick screens and reverses but forgot BB doesn't call them every single down. Then they went to Mularkey's 3 TE offense but umm they cut their beast blocking TEs to get more athletic ones so that was brutal but Henry did pretty well beasting in the mess. Because Henry did well, they ran a million plays in a row to Lewis where everyone in the free world knew it was going to him. Then they used Mularkey's O where the WRs were split ends and that worked just as bad as previously. Then they FINALLY went into a 3 WR set but WRs dropped balls and pulled up on their routes while the best WR in camp was benched for a fumble and last year's top WR was planning his trip to Cleveland. 

If you ignore week four, LaFleur should be fired and Vrabel should get some sort of warning for allowing it to be done by his staff member. Week 4 was incredible though. One of MM8s best games and just beautiful. Sooo LaFleur "lives" and gets more time.

I don't fault JRob for hiring Vrabel or most of the players he drafted. Neither for getting rid of Mularkey and Robiske or being stuck supporting his new coach as he removed a couple legends from the staff. Vrabel and LaFleur did the research and should be prepared to succeed. LaFleur is just stinking.

Vrabel is a former LB that played FB, played under BB, read extensively about Cowher and Parcells and adored them, and oh by the way calls Joe Gibbs "the classic coach." He was thrilled to take over the exotic smashmouth offense and looked like a giddy little boy when he was asked about having two great young tackles. I have no idea what went through Vrabel's head as to what his offense would look like on this day, before he hired LaFleur, but I can guaran(curse) tee you it was tough, power running.

He talked about running AT JJ Watt and practiced running at Casey all summer. They signed a former blocking TE and he about fell in love with Mularkey's coach's pet David Fluellen who plays FB and RB and hustles his tail off.

Whether it's the added plays for Wadley, the power running games that influenced him, or his personality, there is no way that this offense is HIS. (Not to mention how JRob admires BB and BP)

He has to be the boss now. Vrabel has to get LaFleur to do things in his style or risk losing his own job. The Titans won a playoff game and Vrabel was hired to improve them and take them to the promised land. In many stats they are worse. Pees seems to be getting ahold of the defense and trying his best in ways that make a lot of sense. Their weak pass D put up awesome stats last week, but they lost the great pressure they'd been applying. He's got some kinks but there is obvious improvement and coaching going on.  It is so forced and so ugly on offense it's ridiculous. We may not know when it happens but you can be darn sure that when the Titans use a power run game, Vrabel exerted some authority over his OC. 

I'm sick of Vrabel's ego but otherwise I'm still 50/50 on his coaching ability. He made a lot of player moves and almost all have flopped. They were "this close" to being 4-1 though. He just has to find a way to get his OC straightenned out. Special teams may be the best in the NFL, the D is fine with a lot of promise, he's gotta get the third part of the game fixed up. When in doubt, pick a Bill and make it like theirs. The Titans have the horses to run those types of offenses.

Wait, so the solution is to run Vrabel's offense, which is some type of tribute to the 1950s?

Whose style did week 4 most closely match?

Thanks for the lengthy take.  Love reading your stuff on the Titans.

Edit to add:  the rumor I remembered was that Vrabel wanted the guy from Ohio St as his OC, and when that fell through, he had zero backup plan.   Which is what led to LaFleur.   This article mentions the guy from OSU....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2755203-titans-oc-rumors-ohio-states-ryan-day-considering-joining-mike-vrabels-staff.amp.html

Edited by Alex P Keaton
1 person likes this

Lol 1950s, no but use the talent they have to run the ball. Like I said, pick a Bill but really you could pick most NFL teams- if you give them two tackles like the Titans have, they're running 

Yep after Day but Day was who he knew he wanted before he was hired. Maybe I was too quick with the wording of timing. LaFleur was possibly hired as the head coach if Vrabel fell through. He really blew JRob away.

Ohio State's O would be fine too.

It really doesn't matter if you pick a Vrabel influence, they all can tote the rock

15 hours ago, Chaka said:

Do we have a prognosis?

FWIW, on the news they have Lewan buying groceries for a family in need and he looks totally fine. Is that conclusive? No and I'm sure it's still wait for the trainer to say so but ...no limp and looks good

3 hours ago, Otis said:

Oh hell no I ain’t reading that 

This made me laugh way more than it should have.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, Bri said:

Lol 1950s, no but use the talent they have to run the ball. Like I said, pick a Bill but really you could pick most NFL teams- if you give them two tackles like the Titans have, they're running 

Yep after Day but Day was who he knew he wanted before he was hired. Maybe I was too quick with the wording of timing. LaFleur was possibly hired as the head coach if Vrabel fell through. He really blew JRob away.

Ohio State's O would be fine too.

It really doesn't matter if you pick a Vrabel influence, they all can tote the rock

All fair.   I'm just saying you as a Titans fan should want a modern offense.  Not some throwback to Jim Brown or even John Riggins.   Take it from a Packer fan -- it sucks to have a coach whose scheme is stuck in the past.

Well that was (maybe too) predictable and wow

LaFleur put it on him, did a poor job of using the tightends since Delanie got hurt. THEN put it on him that Taywan hasn't been used well then said look we have talented players and I'm not putting them in a position to succeed.

Then a pause and turn away from the cameras (phones) and...a whole thing which within he said "that starts with the running game."

He's always so happy so professional yet smiley, wow that was a different side.

He had it coming but that was tough to watch too

He's a trending topic on Twitter if ya want to see videos

7 hours ago, Bri said:

Well that was (maybe too) predictable and wow

LaFleur put it on him, did a poor job of using the tightends since Delanie got hurt. THEN put it on him that Taywan hasn't been used well then said look we have talented players and I'm not putting them in a position to succeed.

Then a pause and turn away from the cameras (phones) and...a whole thing which within he said "that starts with the running game."

He's always so happy so professional yet smiley, wow that was a different side.

He had it coming but that was tough to watch too

Way fewer pronouns and maybe I could sort this out.

Edited by davearm

Wow, he was picked 5th round in my league and just dropped. I picked him as the bust of the draft, but didn't expect him to fall this far.

7 hours ago, davearm said:

Way fewer pronouns and maybe I could sort this out.

The Titans OC put all the blame on himself. 

3 people like this

8 hours ago, Truebluey said:

Wow, he was picked 5th round in my league and just dropped. I picked him as the bust of the draft, but didn't expect him to fall this far.

Dropped in my league too. 

He's been a massive disappointment, but to drop him altogether? Makes no sense considering the guy stealing his touches has such a terrific track record of health.

Unhappy, but holding.

1 person likes this

29 minutes ago, renesauz said:

He's been a massive disappointment, but to drop him altogether? Makes no sense considering the guy stealing his touches has such a terrific track record of health.

That's literally the only reason I've still got the one share of him I own. He'd be a 25-touch-per-game guy if Lewis went down, and those have value even on the worst offenses. But absent that, I suspect you'll see him on a lot more wires as the heavier bye weeks start to hit.

2 hours ago, Bri said:

The Titans OC put all the blame on himself. 

TYVM :thumbup:

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

Dropped in my league too. 

Dropped last week and still languishing there.

1 hour ago, renesauz said:

Unhappy, but holding.

This is where I am.  

Tough for any player to be relevant in an offense averaging 17 points a game. Not sure why anyone would start any Titan player at this point except maybe the D and K.

1 person likes this