What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Derrick Henry, BAL (2 Viewers)

With that said, it's not really been on the ground that teams have been beating CLE. Their QBs have been turnover machines and they have been beatable through the air.

Case in point, Lamar Miller this week got 41 yards on CLE.
Agreed, I wouldn't be salivating too much as a Henry or Murray owner at this matchup. Gregg Williams rush defense is 2nd best in the league in YPA allowed. Only bad game they've had was against the Ravens. Still, no individual rusher has put up more than 66 yards on the ground against Cleveland so far this year. Mariota should have a good game and the Titan defense will probably set up some short field situations where the RB's can find pay-dirt, but this isn't an easy matchup for Murray and Henry. Hopefully they can break a long one or get some redzone carries.

That was my question. After he got the first down yardage isn't the smart play to go all Brian Westbrook and fall down? Juking and cut backs seemed very risky. Unless I am missing something that's bad coaching and bad football smarts by Henry. Great run to watch either way.
That stuff died years ago when BB and Peyton were running up the scores. Ya can't hold Henry to some elementary school good sport logic while the rest of the NFL doesn't follow it

That stuff died years ago when BB and Peyton were running up the scores. Ya can't hold Henry to some elementary school good sport logic while the rest of the NFL doesn't follow it
Seriously? No that doesn't fly. By not taking a knee he 1) exposed himself for longer to a turnover and 2) he left Indianapolis 47 seconds on the clock to work a miracle.  That's bad football and I am surprised you would try to make that argument.

Seriously? No that doesn't fly. By not taking a knee he 1) exposed himself for longer to a turnover and 2) he left Indianapolis 47 seconds on the clock to work a miracle.  That's bad football and I am surprised you would try to make that argument.
you're not being reasonable. Maybe bad day at work? Lost alot of $ to Henry's TD? I don't know but this tangent is absolutely absurd

you're not being reasonable. Maybe bad day at work? Lost alot of $ to Henry's TD? I don't know but this tangent is absolutely absurd
I'm not sure I'm understanding the side of the argument that you're on.  Was not going down something worth getting worked up over?  Of course not.  Was it a bad football move?  Of course it was.

Not a big deal because the risk it creates is still incredibly small, but of course it was a bad move in the confines of a team's goal to win the game, that much isn't really even disputable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you say that? I have Henry, drafted him two years running in my 12 team redraft (more than a little bit influenced by you btw). His value went up for me because of that TD. However it is completely reasonable to expect an NFL player to make split second decisions that give his team the best chance to win games. Not my team, his team.  It is not an absurd tangent, it brings into question his football IQ.  I am chalking it up to heat of the moment excitement by a young player and, probably a lapse in coaching.  My guess is Henry will hear from his coaches about it privately this week.

Is there a football based argument that I am missing?  I'm totally open to it but I simply don't see how it can be viewed as the correct decision. Take a knee, victory formation, game over and Indy never even gets an opportunity for a miracle. What am I missing?

They went up by another 7 points from the score making any chance of a last second miracle impossible.

If Henry didn't score, but did get the first down, then the Titans can just run off the clock.

It isn't bad football. It was terrific.

I'm not sure I'm understanding the side of the argument that you're on.  Was not going down something worth getting worked up over?  Of course not.  Was it a bad football move?  Of course it was.

Not a big deal because the risk it creates is still incredibly small, but of course it was a bad move in the confines of a team's goal to win the game, that much isn't really even disputable.
Sure it is disputable. Can't believe you guys are even arguing that its bad football or a bad move honestly.

Why would you say that? I have Henry, drafted him two years running in my 12 team redraft (more than a little bit influenced by you btw). His value went up for me because of that TD. However it is completely reasonable to expect an NFL player to make split second decisions that give his team the best chance to win games. Not my team, his team.  It is not an absurd tangent, it brings into question his football IQ.  I am chalking it up to heat of the moment excitement by a young player and, probably a lapse in coaching.  My guess is Henry will hear from his coaches about it privately this week.

Is there a football based argument that I am missing?  I'm totally open to it but I simply don't see how it can be viewed as the correct decision. Take a knee, victory formation, game over and Indy never even gets an opportunity for a miracle. What am I missing?
Probably a money based argument on Henry's part. The better stats he amasses, the better contract he can get. 

They went up by another 7 points from the score making any chance of a last second miracle impossible.

If Henry didn't score, but did get the first down, then the Titans can just run off the clock.

It isn't bad football. It was terrific.
I called it a miracle for a reason. Two TDs in under a minute has happened before, and it will happen again <cylon>

If Henry didn't score he also could have fumbled (had the ball stripped). I get it he didn't, it worked out, no harm-no foul.

And it was absolutely terrific to watch but be real, the right thing for Henry to do would have been to give himself up after he got the first down.

Probably a money based argument on Henry's part. The better stats he amasses, the better contract he can get. 
Makes sense too.

Probably a money based argument for why the officials didn't review whether he stepped out of bounds or not too.

As per Mularkey- The Titans will use a two-pronged approach and incorporate DeMarco in the passing game more. 

Good luck for FF

Haha sucks
yeah sorry. Henry is (and has been) "the 4 minute back" which means he is like their closer. You can count on that.

Murray in PPR may not lose any value at all. He wasn't running that well and a catch for 10 yards is two points.

You'd think with Murray Dinged they would rest him or give him very limited work v the browns. Also saw somewhere that Murlarky called Henry the 4th quarter back. Smells like a great time to put Henry in your line ups 

Just to see him relegated to a limited role again

Bri said:
As per Mularkey- The Titans will use a two-pronged approach and incorporate DeMarco in the passing game more. 

Good luck for FF
I don't see this as a bad thing for Henry's value at all.  Below is his Offensive Snap % by game.

28.1%

44.1%

41.1%

43.9%

18.6%

58.0%

In the 4 games in which he's garnered at least 40% of the workload, he's put up 52/284/2 along with 2 receptions for 24 yards.  And one of those 40% games was the blowout in HOU where both Murray/Henry were useless.

Ultimately, I think Henry's ceiling will have less to do with workload distribution and more to do with the Titans DST.

I think Henry may be a better RB right now, but Mularkey doesn't seem to think so.

Henry's time is coming, but problem is Murray is signed through 2019. Might very well be 2 more years of sharing touches for these guys.

I think Henry may be a better RB right now, but Mularkey doesn't seem to think so.

Henry's time is coming, but problem is Murray is signed through 2019. Might very well be 2 more years of sharing touches for these guys.
It is relevant to note that Murray can be cut or traded after this season with no cap ramifications.

Not saying it will happen. Only that it can.

Chaka said:
I called it a miracle for a reason. Two TDs in under a minute has happened before, and it will happen again <cylon>

If Henry didn't score he also could have fumbled (had the ball stripped). I get it he didn't, it worked out, no harm-no foul.

And it was absolutely terrific to watch but be real, the right thing for Henry to do would have been to give himself up after he got the first down.
assuming Henry takes a knee, the Titans could also have had a fumbled snap on the very next play and recovered (possibly returned) by Indy.  Its happened before too.  

It is relevant to note that Murray can be cut or traded after this season with no cap ramifications.

Not saying it will happen. Only that it can.
Titans have a boatload of cap space (4th in the league) and don't have to extend Mariota for a few more years. There'd be little reason to cut Murray next year, even if Henry takes over.

Agreed, I wouldn't be salivating too much as a Henry or Murray owner at this matchup. Gregg Williams rush defense is 2nd best in the league in YPA allowed. Only bad game they've had was against the Ravens. Still, no individual rusher has put up more than 66 yards on the ground against Cleveland so far this year. Mariota should have a good game and the Titan defense will probably set up some short field situations where the RB's can find pay-dirt, but this isn't an easy matchup for Murray and Henry. Hopefully they can break a long one or get some redzone carries.
I'm not sure you're accounting enough for Mariota's gimpiness right now. Seems like a perfect time to rely heavily on the running game, which should be strong enough to carry the day and protect the hamstring of the franchise QB.

Hard game to predict. I'm rolling with Henry in my second flex spot in one league, but wouldn't be terribly shocked by any result.

assuming Henry takes a knee, the Titans could also have had a fumbled snap on the very next play and recovered (possibly returned) by Indy.  Its happened before too.  
From the victory formation?  When?

Honest question.

Count me out of the camp that says he should have gone down after the first though. His score made it a 2 TD game...it doesn't matter if you kneel or score given the time left. It's different if it was a 1 point lead they were protecting.

IMO, it would have been a more heads up play to go down after the 1st, but ultimately you are talking about very small percentage chance that they could score twice in under a minute. Easy to get taken away with the excitement of the play, especially as a second year player. And its not like you were giving the ball back to Brady or Rodgers either.

Plus think how upset fantasy owners would be today if he'd gone down on the 1 yard line. McCoy did that a few years ago and cost me a fantasy win. :rant:

Titans have a boatload of cap space (4th in the league) and don't have to extend Mariota for a few more years. There'd be little reason to cut Murray next year, even if Henry takes over.
They got Casey done recently. Lewan was extended two years but they need to pay him handsomely this offseason. Mariota's last year is 2018 and JRob wants to lock him up before that so they don't have to do 5th year option. It'll be Mariota and Lewan in 2018, Conklin and Henry in 2019. Amy Strunk's pet peeve about sports is people discussing contracts publicly and taking away from the game. She'd prefer everyone (this group) signed early and never in that situation. She has mentioned ten-year contracts over four year ones. The owner is no joke when it comes to the young gems they have. A good chunk of that cap space will be eaten up soon

They probably wouldn't have had to even snap it, there were only 47 seconds on the clock and they would have had to run everyone down there before starting the play clock.  And even if so, Herm Edwards is why there are 3 deep backs these days (and that was a botched handoff, not victory formation).

IMO, it would have been a more heads up play to go down after the 1st, but ultimately you are talking about very small percentage chance that they could score twice in under a minute. Easy to get taken away with the excitement of the play, especially as a second year player. And its not like you were giving the ball back to Brady or Rodgers either.

Plus think how upset fantasy owners would be today if he'd gone down on the 1 yard line. McCoy did that a few years ago and cost me a fantasy win. :rant:
I recall Westbrook had a famous one as well...

They got Casey done recently. Lewan was extended two years but they need to pay him handsomely this offseason. Mariota's last year is 2018 and JRob wants to lock him up before that so they don't have to do 5th year option. It'll be Mariota and Lewan in 2018, Conklin and Henry in 2019. Amy Strunk's pet peeve about sports is people discussing contracts publicly and taking away from the game. She'd prefer everyone (this group) signed early and never in that situation. She has mentioned ten-year contracts over four year ones. The owner is no joke when it comes to the young gems they have. A good chunk of that cap space will be eaten up soon
This year they have the 4th most cap space in the league at over $30M. They are projected at over $50M next year if you include that rollover. Sure they will spend some it, but let's not pretend they are going to need to pinch pennies any time soon. If they cut Murray it will be strictly related to his play on the field, not because they need cap space.

They probably wouldn't have had to even snap it, there were only 47 seconds on the clock and they would have had to run everyone down there before starting the play clock.  And even if so, Herm Edwards is why there are 3 deep backs these days (and that was a botched handoff, not victory formation).
There were 61 seconds left at the snap

This year they have the 4th most cap space in the league at over $30M. They are projected at over $50M next year if you include that rollover. Sure they will spend some it, but let's not pretend they are going to need to pinch pennies any time soon. If they cut Murray it will be strictly related to his play on the field, not because they need cap space.
Oh yeah, absolutely. I didn't mean to imply that. Just that they're looking to lock guys up a year early and possibly for ten years. I don't expect their free agents to leave either. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/tennessee-titans/

Murray didn't practice. Presser on now. Mularkey classified he and Morgan as day to day and said he won't guess on their statuses. Will tell tomorrow and treat it day to day

Murray didn't practice. Presser on now. Mularkey classified he and Morgan as day to day and said he won't guess on their statuses. Will tell tomorrow and treat it day to day
They have the bye after this week as well, right? Go ahead and rest up Murray.

They have the bye after this week as well, right? Go ahead and rest up Murray.
yep. Browns D is pretty good. They're crumbling at the end of games but otherwise not pushovers or what ya might think. They've lost 3 games by 3 points or less. We discussed this earlier in the thread. It's reasonable, idk if they do that.

The talk has been 50/50 and also that he liked the distribution of carries (more to Henry) and will get Murray involved in the passing game more.

To reiterate- many of us thought the same-rest him- but the talk from Mularkey has not been to rest him

Again, the clock prior to the play is irrelevant.  The play took another 14 seconds.  Henry scored with 47 seconds left.  Had Henry kneeled at the 1, the clock keeps running, and it's a 40 second play clock.  It's doubtful the officials could even get everyone down there and the play clock started. Game ends without taking another snap.  Zero risk.

Pretty sure I am just going to roll with Kamara over the Titans backfield in PPR for the next couple weeks. 

Not to speak for him but I would also prefer Kamara.  That offense seems to be a bigger pie to split, and Kamara has a pretty safe floor in PPR.  Henry will get his 4 minute carries, but his catches and other load/TD's are much more unpredictable.  It's not a landslide, but I'd take Kamara.

Users who are viewing this thread