What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Derrick Henry, BAL (6 Viewers)

Just a gut feeling but I really think Murray sits this week. With the bye coming up week 8 they can give him two weeks to try to get his hammy right and I think the Tenn brass feel they can beat Cleveland without Murray's help. This might just be wishful thinking because I own Henry and want to see what he can do with 20 carries.

conlilnew said:
Just a gut feeling but I really think Murray sits this week. With the bye coming up week 8 they can give him two weeks to try to get his hammy right and I think the Tenn brass feel they can beat Cleveland without Murray's help. This might just be wishful thinking because I own Henry and want to see what he can do with 20 carries.
 I hope you're wrong, but news blurb I read this morning suggests Murray could sit. Guy I am playing this week has Henry stashed in his bench. He already got a monster game from Carr that offset the monster game by Amari Cooper. The dude is already sporting Ajayi and Gurley at RB, and can easily slide Demariyus Thomas from flex to WR to make room for Henry. I'm shocked he is 1-5!

Browns are tied with the Broncos for allowing the lowest yards per carry in the NFL: 3.0

Everyone has them as pushovers and they really aren't

I've been a little surprised at the reaction to the Murray/Henry split concerns this week.

1) Yes, Henry's stats were bolstered by the 72-yard TD run.  But who is to say in the next game, he doesn't average 5 YPC instead of 3+ (outside of the big one Monday) with his workload?

2) The Titans have played 6 games this year, Henry has put up viable 'starting line-up' numbers in 3 of them.  Of the three he didn't - a) one was Week 1 - always a squirrelly week b) one was a the game in HOU where the Titans abandoned the run game early because they were blown out and c) the last was a game in which the coaches commentary after it was 'not involving Henry enough couldn't happen again'.  And in the next game - Henry got 20 touches..

Game flow certainly favored the run game against IND, but I think the bottomline is that TEN has the ability to have 2 viable starting FF backs - different set-up than a team like the Falcons with Freeman/Coleman...but startable nonetheless, particularly if your league has a FLEX.

Browns are tied with the Broncos for allowing the lowest yards per carry in the NFL: 3.0

Everyone has them as pushovers and they really aren't
Definitely not a pushover but they don't blow anyone (or win) out so the volume, and the chance for a big day, is always there. 

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000864325/article/derrick-henry-ready-for-bigger-role-with-murray-out

Murray out, ratchet up Henry for a big game against a stout rushing D so far...
Don't know why he has the article titled that way when it is not confirmed he is out. He even says as much in the article itself:

"Murray sat out practice the previous two days while dealing with a hamstring issue, and the team is in wait-and-see mode with the starting running back heading into Sunday's game versus the Cleveland Browns."

Definitely not a pushover but they don't blow anyone (or win) out so the volume, and the chance for a big day, is always there. 
Why would you attempt to correct a stat?

Here's the expected leading rushers against them each week

Miller 41 yards

Powell 5 yards (yes five)

Mixon 29 yards

Gore 57 yards

Allen 66 yards

Bell 32 yards

Yes, we've seen those stats in this thread before and I agreed with you. I just said since the games are usually close or in hand, the chance for a big day is always there. Just hasn't happened yet but we're not even halfway through the season yet.

Miller 41 yards

Mixon 29 yards

Gore 57 yards

Allen 66 yards

Bell 32 yards
The one thing I see different about Henry from those other backs is his size and power, he’s different, a complete bull, I think Henry could have a nice day. I’m not the coach but it would make sense to rest him for 2 weeks and crank up Henry.

Bell is also a big boy but, it was his first week back and no preseason or training camp. As you seen it has taken him weeks to get going.

Miller 41 yards

Mixon 29 yards

Gore 57 yards

Allen 66 yards

Bell 32 yards
You realize those are 4 of the worst offenses in the NFL this year, right? And PITT and HOU took a while to get rolling. 

Miller 41 yards

Mixon 29 yards

Gore 57 yards

Allen 66 yards

Bell 32 yards
Those are impressive stats for sure but from my perspective Henry is twice the RB as any of those guys (Bell obviously is league MVP caliber but not in week 1 after missing all off season and TC). And Henry has a significantly better offensive line than all but Pittsburgh.

I agree people should be cautious but there appear to be some significant differences, on paper, from my perspective.

Miller 41 yards

Mixon 29 yards

Gore 57 yards

Allen 66 yards

Bell 32 yards
LOL. Powell had 2 carries and then got injured in the game against the Browns.

• Smile
Reactions: ATB
Delanie Walker also is dinged up so if Murray sits this is setting up really nicely.

Murray got a little practice in today but hopefully he rests.

In the action I have seen of the Titans I though Murray looked pretty decent, respect him trying to play. But, take a rest dude. Kick back a little and enjoy not getting hit this weeekend.

The HOU game was last week
If you took both Miller and Foreman's totals there were actually pretty darn good. Look at my post with more comprehensive data above.

Saying CLE is a "stout" run D based on just the overall production from the RBs is shoddy analysis. You have to take the opponent and some of the circumstances (i.e. Bell with no preseason games under his belt).

Are they terrible? I doubt it.

Another consideration will be game flow. It will favor TN. Especially now that J. McCourty is questionable after banging up his ankle in practice today.

And oh...they probably don't want Mariota to run. And D. Walker questionable now with a calf injury...no TE sweeps for him.

If Murray is out, and you have Henry, and you bench him...big, big mistake.

Duly noted. Meant to look that up but duty calls. Still, HOU run game is sub-par. 
Not including Foreman's totals:

* MIller: 15-49

* Foreman: 12- 59

* Total: 27 - 108

If that was one RB...Lamar Foreman...I'd take that...along with Miller's 3 receptions for 40 yards.

CLE run D is being slightly overrated by the so called "experts" who aren't peeling the onion back just one layer.

Saying CLE is a "stout" run D based on just the overall production from the RBs is shoddy analysis. You have to take the opponent and some of the circumstances (i.e. Bell with no preseason games under his belt).

There wasn't just one statement.

I had mentioned that 3.0 ypc is tied for lowest allowed in the NFL

Thanks for the insult though

Has Murray ever sat out a game with the Titans so Henry was the lead back?
No, just in preseason. BUT

Murray said this "It’s very frustrating, but I have to take it one day at a time,” Murray said of the injury. “No matter what the situation is, if it’s something I can play through or fight through I am going to try and do it, and worry about the aftermath when it is done, no matter what the repercussions may be."

“We’ll see how I feel. I’m going to get a good warmup in before the game and see how I feel and then make a decision from there.”

During preseason, he said almost the same thing- grumpy tone with no concern about if it makes him worse off. It was as if Mularkey read the quote, was displeased, and benched him on Saturday. 

Guy used to be Fragile Fred now he morphed into...Fred Taylor.

From a pure football perspective you have to love a guy who is willing to tough it out and do anything on the field.  However I also see it as a bit selfish if playing at a significantly diminished capacity negatively impacts the team.

If a coach thinks the guy's condition negatively impacts the team, he won't play him. That's not a player decision? At most, a player tells the coach how he's feeling. I don't see anything 'selfish' in being willing to play if the coach want him to.

If a coach thinks the guy's condition negatively impacts the team, he won't play him. That's not a player decision? At most, a player tells the coach how he's feeling. I don't see anything 'selfish' in being willing to play if the coach want him to.
I don't think it always works out that way.

Anybody committed to starting Henry even if Murray plays?

Either him or Funchess for me in the flex. 
Me. I’ve had him in even before today once they announced Murray’s tight hammy. Just feels like the play this week all things considered. 

Anybody committed to starting Henry even if Murray plays?

Either him or Funchess for me in the flex. 
No chance for me, tried it week 3 with garbage results. Depends on your options though, in your case I would think about it. I'm starting Duke Johnson over him unless I know Murray is definitely out.

No chance for me, tried it week 3 with garbage results. Depends on your options though, in your case I would think about it. I'm starting Duke Johnson over him unless I know Murray is definitely out.
I'm in on Henry this week. My only other option was Lynch and we saw what happened there. I'm saying 80 yds rushing with two short TD's. Even if Murray plays don't you think it would be mostly on passing downs.

there is no presser on Saturday. There are usually guessers on ff sites- because that's what we want them to do- but don't leap like it's news. 

Jim Wyatt will absolutely have ya covered here. He does a periscope pregame. If there are no updates, he always guesses using his 20? years of reporting experience based on how guys warm up. AFAIK he's never been wrong with his guesses and I've been reading him for what seems like decades. 

Players with hammies are often announced as out on Saturday. They give it a go Friday and the muscle doesn't recover well. If that's the case, Wyatt and Glennon are traveling with the team.

I'll pass along any info I see- as I've done for 14 years here- but I have a lot of plans today and I'm not likely to be quick to the punch

This is probably the best I can do today: Everyone doesn't always text or call me back

Mularkey used Murray in a limited role on Friday where he dictated exactly what Murray would do. He was pleased and (the firey, I gotta play) Murray was content. One reporter told me he expects that Sunday and thinks it was a test-run.

Jalston Fowler had more snaps at RB than anyone else this week. (Short week with MNF) He is expected to get some backup carries this week. 

The Titans feel the Browns are weakest up the middle against the run and quite strong outside.

I asked "shift the RB to the outside as usual" and he said "probably."

Users who are viewing this thread