What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Derrick Henry, BAL (2 Viewers)

The rumor that the Vikings are interested in Henry so early (Feb 10) has me thinking that the likelyhood of them drafting Henry is very low. Otherwise there would be no rumor about it.

Silly season stuff.

Senior Bowl executive director Phil Savage expects Alabama RB Derrick Henry to run the 40-yard dash in under 4.50 seconds.
Savage refers to Henry as a "humble giant" and adds that he "never saw him angled off or caught from behind." We're on-board with this assessment, no matter how much it seems to defy the laws of physics. The 6-foot-3, 238-pounder showed a consistent second-level burst and some of his most impressive runs of the season came when he simply ran away from the pursuing secondary. An NFL college scouting director indicated on Monday that he could envision Henry playing for the Saints, Patriots, Jets, Cowboys or Vikings. Just as interesting--if not more--than Henry's possible 40-yard time, his performance in agility drills like the three-cone drill. If he can convince scouts he's not just a strong straight-line runner, that could lead to him possibly cracking the back of the first round in April, though the second round remains his most likely selection window.

Source: Phil Savage on Twitter 
Feb 22 - 11:44 PM

38 minutes ago, Xue said:

For those who think Henry is "slow":

I didn't think anyone thought he was slow. 

What do you think the chances are he runs under 4.5? I think there's about a 50/50 chance he runs under. 

Came in at 247 pounds at the combine measurement. 

Last time a RB over 225 pounds led the league in rushing was Shaun Alexander in 2002 who was also a 'Bama back

Came in at 247 pounds at the combine measurement. 

Last time a RB over 225 pounds led the league in rushing was Shaun Alexander in 2002 who was also a 'Bama back
Can you put up a link for where ever you're following the weigh ins?

Just on Twitter? Sorry I thought you were watching or following a live blog or something. 

I have a long day of waiting for phone calls/sitting on hold ahead of me. 
It's ok; yea that twitter account is really good for following the combine

Hands are a bit small but I don't see that being much of an issue. The 247 might be though. If he's looking soft/sloppy that will be a major concern because of what Eddie Lacy did this year. Even if it's all muscle it will still be a point of concern. Unless he destroys the 40 and 3 cone. 

Hands are a bit small?  Hands are way too small so he's almost off my draft list.   At 195 lbs my hands are Gronk-sized 10.5"+ and I can't imagine hands almost 2 inches smaller on a guy 50 pounds heavier than me.   He must be missing half a thumb.  

To compare to some prospects hand size:
Adrian Peterson: 9 1/2"
Jamaal Charles: 9 1/8"
Le'Veon Bell: 9 5/8"
Eddie Lacy: 9 1/2"
Todd Gurley: 10"
Zeke Elliott: 10 1/4"
Carlos Hyde: 9 5/8"

However Henry only fumbled four time on 406 touches this past season. I am not pro nor against Henry; just getting both sides in. 

Are there actual data that hand size leads to more fumbles? Or is this just people's gut feel. I think way too simplistic of an argument to say well he's got small hands so avoid him. People say this all the time but is it actually true? Show me some data on this someone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Other random prospects fumbles/handsize:

Elliott

10 1/4

Collins

9 1/4

Dixon

9 1/2

Booker

8 5/8

Howard

Prosise

8 1/2

Perkins

Drake

9 3/4

Madden

9 3/8

Ferguson

Are there actual data that hand size leads to more fumbles? Or is this just people's gut feel. I think way too simplistic of an argument to say well he's got small hands so avoid him. People say this all the time but is it actually true? Show me some data on this someone.
What about arm length? Henry's got an inch+ on every other good prospect.  Mean anything, other than being a part of that brutal stiff arm?

I think the whole process has gone way too far.

I can't imagine having to run a 40 yard dash with literally millions of dollars at stake on the final fraction of a second on a stop watch.  If he breaks 4.5, he's a first or second round pick.  If he doesn't,  that weight could make him drop like a rock in the draft.   

I think the whole process has gone way too far.
I agree. However, I think that certain drills and measurements are helpful for certain positions. Is arm length helpful for an OL? Most likely. How much does a 40 time matter for an OL? Zero. The 40 for OL is more of a funny goof around event. 

I can't imagine having to run a 40 yard dash with literally millions of dollars at stake on the final fraction of a second on a stop watch.  If he breaks 4.5, he's a first or second round pick.  If he doesn't,  that weight could make him drop like a rock in the draft.   
When they put the 40 runs all into one video and you see the gap between a 4.34 and a 4.61 it does make some sense as to why it's important for certain positions. 

*Side note: Beware of these videos as sometimes they are made wrong. There was a bad one made last year. This contradicts my point but I'd rather error on this side of honest and wrong than deceitful in any way. 

I agree. However, I think that certain drills and measurements are helpful for certain positions. Is arm length helpful for an OL? Most likely. How much does a 40 time matter for an OL? Zero. The 40 for OL is more of a funny goof around event. 
It's more the level of minutia and over analysis that is starting to bug me. I agree some drills and measurables certainly have at least some level of merit, but even the way a tenth of a second in a run from a starting position not even seen on a football field is treated like gospel is getting a bit out of hand.

With the said, I'll watch all I can and absorb every bit of information of course.

Wouldn't hand size really only be a negative for catching passes. If he has smaller hands, but they're strong, who cares? He'll still hold onto the football well as long as he uses good technique (cradles it against his forearm, etc.).

Wouldn't hand size really only be a negative for catching passes. If he has smaller hands, but they're strong, who cares? He'll still hold onto the football well as long as he uses good technique (cradles it against his forearm, etc.).
I'd tend to agree. RB's don't really carry the ball using just their hand(s). In fact it's poor form when they do.

If he runs fast i'll be happy to draft him. Would like to see all his times and see what kind of athlete he is.

Be careful. Next year they might start measuring forearm circumference. ... Now that I think of it. I actually wouldn't mind seeing thigh circumference with running backs. Might be toeing the line of helpful and creepy. 

Be careful. Next year they might start measuring forearm circumference. ... Now that I think of it. I actually wouldn't mind seeing thigh circumference with running backs. Might be toeing the line of helpful and creepy. 
You're wasting your time with forearm and thigh circumference.  Sack displacement... that is the next gen stat of the future! 

You're wasting your time with forearm and thigh circumference.  Sack displacement... that is the next gen stat of the future! 
Measuring specific body parts is so last decade. They should just take an anatomically-complete millimeter-precise 3D body scan of each player, and make the information available online. Then analytics folks who want to look at specific attributes like thigh circumference could extract that measurement. Folks who want to find historically comparable players could calculate full-body similarity scores. Folks who want to compare quarterbacks' leadership attributes could do that. Everybody wins; there is no downside.

Measuring specific body parts is so last decade. They should just take an anatomically-complete millimeter-precise 3D body scan of each player, and make the information available online. Then analytics folks who want to look at specific attributes like thigh circumference could extract that measurement. Folks who want to find historically comparable players could calculate full-body similarity scores. Folks who want to compare quarterbacks' leadership attributes could do that. Everybody wins; there is no downside.
Too complicated when you can guage everything, including coaching, on sack displacement.

I can hear an announcer now... "Wow - they converted!  How do you go for it on 4th and 1 from your own 16 yard line?  That takes big balls!  You know, it's said he has the largest sack displacement since Holden McGroin measured 18.3 cubic inches in the 2019 combine...

I think you guys should start your new combine here 

I will be available for assistance in the measurements. 

Alabama RB Derrick Henry indicated that he views his draft position " like an underdog, working [his] way up."

Henry's using his second-round evaluation from the draft advisory committee as motivation. Said the Heisman Trophy winner, "I just use it as fuel every day." The 6-foot-3, 247-pound Tide product could sneak into the first round of this spring's draft, but he understands that there's still work to do in convincing scouts. "The questions are my quickness, catching the ball, my protection. I definitely want to get better at that and showcase what I can do," Henry said. Last weekend, a college scouting director tossed out the Patriots, Panthers, Saints, Jets and Vikings as potential nice fits for the Bama boomer.

Source: al.com
Feb 25 - 8:57 PM

10'10 broad jump for Henry. He smashed Elliot in the jumps. Pretty sure I'll have Henry ranked higher than Elliot after today's performance. He's bigger/more explosive and he might be faster in the 40. He's the better athlete. 

And an absurd 10'10" in the broad jump.  None of which helps him with lateral quickness, which I think will doom his ceiling as a runner.

Users who are viewing this thread