What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Derrick Henry, BAL (5 Viewers)

Curious what this does to his dynasty trade value. A week or two ago guys were arguing he wasn’t worth a third but I imagine that ship has sailed. Wish I’d had an opportunity to buy at that price. Only team I’ve got holding him is out of the hunt and I’m holding anyway.

before I gloat too much I’m sure vrabel will run Lewis into the A gap all game next week 

OH MY GOD. I didn’t even realize I drafted him in the only FFPC Best Ball league where I made the playoffs (1/4; 3/3 out of classic just had to defend myself real quick, hah). 47.8 points. That’s f’n karma for the 3 years I held him in my main league. 

Curious what this does to his dynasty trade value. A week or two ago guys were arguing he wasn’t worth a third but I imagine that ship has sailed. Wish I’d had an opportunity to buy at that price. Only team I’ve got holding him is out of the hunt and I’m holding anyway.

before I gloat too much I’m sure vrabel will run Lewis into the A gap all game next week 
As you can tell from my posts I would say leap at any decent offer but if he leaves he is a hold. 

As you can tell from my posts I would say leap at any decent offer but if he leaves he is a hold. 
I disagree. Even if LaFleur stays, no guarantee, I think he may come to the realization that he may have a Gurley type (NOT GURLEY) bellcow on hand and decide to treat him that way.

Hell if Norvan can adapt and do what he's doing in Carolina then maybe LaFleur can too.

@Bri thoughts?

But like I said, unless he leaves TN he is a dead man walking.
Obviously his play last few weeks can change the way the Titans view him but Mort did report he was shopped near the deadline. And it was the two games after the deadline that we saw Dion get bigger loads. It's as if they decided they wanted to feature Dion but then realized things were not working out.

Was debating between Duke and Henry but two missed practices for Duke and I was forced to go Henry. Lucky I remembered to swap him in right before bed. 

Woke up to texts from my buddy about this insane game and thought he was ####### with me. 

Better to be lucky than good. 

That 99 yarder is top 5 all time NFL runs. How this guy is not a bell cow in the Zeke mold is beyond me. He looks fine catching when they use him. 

Henry looked absolutely amazing.  He ran over defender after defender.  It blows my mind how he can look this good in a game and not be an every week dominate rb.  If all you knew about Henry was tonights game you would think he is one of the very best rb's in the NFL.

So is Henry's lack of production based on his coaches not utilizing him correctly, on Henry being inconsistend or something else? 

Can someone explain to me what the hell just happened?  PLEASE??????
Hi LeftCoastHeel,

When the Titians are favored, Henry has gone off for weeks and weeks.  When the Titians are underdogs Henry is a dog.  Go back and look at the Vegas line.  When the Titians are dogs, so is Henry.  When the Titians are favored, Henry has a great game.  Not that anyone  could have expected this, but Henry was likely to score this week as the Titians were favored by 5.  I started him over Dalvin Cook.

Hi LeftCoastHeel,

When the Titians are favored, Henry has gone off for weeks and weeks.  When the Titians are underdogs Henry is a dog.  Go back and look at the Vegas line.  When the Titians are dogs, so is Henry.  When the Titians are favored, Henry has a great game.  Not that anyone  could have expected this, but Henry was likely to score this week as the Titians were favored by 5.  I started him over Dalvin Cook.
Ballsy start.  Still I simply don't understand the outcome.  Does he suck and this is dumb luck or do all the coaches need to be fired?

In my line of work, if this happened 14 games into the season, you'd have to seriously evaluate each scenario.

Ballsy start.  Still I simply don't understand the outcome.  Does he suck and this is dumb luck or do all the coaches need to be fired?

In my line of work, if this happened 14 games into the season, you'd have to seriously evaluate each scenario.
I don't think a guy who looked this good last night you can say sucks. It's impossible. Saints should trade a second for him to replace Ingram. 

I don't think a guy who looked this good last night you can say sucks. It's impossible. Saints should trade a second for him to replace Ingram. 
I didn't see the game.  Someone needs to be fired it seems like.  I drafted this guy in several leagues... benched him on all my FFPC Championship teams that made it that far.  He cost me plenty of high stakes teams.  This is ridiculous.

If I had an analyst in my work miss this bad for an entire season, I'd fire him immediately.

Likewise, if I missed this bad, I'd expect to be fired.

#ConfusedInLA.  

I mean this is like shorting a company thinking it'd have $0.25 loss per share and it posting earnings of $5.00 per share.  What kind of imbecile is coaching this team that everyone says is such a genius???? Has JAX just thrown in the towel???

So hard to understand this one... Got to be one of the most bizarre performances in the history of not only fantasy, but the NFL in general.

Hi LeftCoastHeel,

Favored Games:

1: Miami - 10 for 26

5: Buffalo - 11 for 56

11: Indy - 9 for 46

13: Jets- 10 for 30 and a Touch

I’m sorry, but that is not “going off for weeks and weeks”. 

Henry looked absolutely amazing.  He ran over defender after defender.  It blows my mind how he can look this good in a game and not be an every week dominate rb.  If all you knew about Henry was tonights game you would think he is one of the very best rb's in the NFL.

So is Henry's lack of production based on his coaches not utilizing him correctly, on Henry being inconsistend or something else? 
Coaches. We have had several arguments where people say "so now two staffs don't play him enough" and the others say they saw him play and stuff like that

Hi LeftCoastHeel,

As shown in the other Henry thread detailing odds and the results for each game over the last 2 years, this simply isn't true. There's no correlation at all showing that Henry has great games when the Titans are favored. His games are very much mixed with most of them being poor.

It's great that it worked out for you, but it seems you got lucky rather than you knowing something that others didn't.

I disagree. Even if LaFleur stays, no guarantee, I think he may come to the realization that he may have a Gurley type (NOT GURLEY) bellcow on hand and decide to treat him that way.

Hell if Norvan can adapt and do what he's doing in Carolina then maybe LaFleur can too.

@Bri thoughts?
Titans history and common NFL history is that LaFleur stays since OCs usually get two years minimum. Fans and writers all think he should be done

As Bia has pointed out for years here, the Titans have run a hybrid zone blocking scheme. LaFleur runs a zone blocking scheme.

This starts with Jack Conklin. All Pro as a rook, Pro bowl as 2nd year, then torn ACL and struggles in this offense. The talk is of FOUR new offensive linemen to make LaFleur's O work next year. This line was awesome two years ago, arguably the best, and you do not shun the idea of having two of the best tackles in the game- that's a rare commodity.

If you look at the Henry runs, most times they did turn their shoulders 45 degrees like old Mike Shanahan drew it up but they almost got angry and went after their DL after that. This is not a pretty group, it's a tough group. There were four pancakes/knockdowns in last night's game and that isn't common in the NFL. Linemen in the second level is what ya want. "Anyone" can make an offense work if the linemen can get to the second level.

LaFleur and Vrabel spent a lot of time once signed, to script an offense that was tailored to this talent. It didn't work so before camp, they did it again and were more pleased with the results all summer. As time has carried on, LaFleur is going with what he knows which is a Rams type O or Falcons. The young OC is not getting that he does not have those players. He's trying to use bishops to do what knights do and he looks like a fool.

Weeks ago, Mariota changed plays to get the O on track. It got taken away from him (just like with prior staff) because it hurts their ego. Last week, Mariota spoke at halftime to the coaches and the offense was night and day better in the second half. Yesterday, he was back to changing some plays. It can not be that Mariota's vision is disrespected. Gotta work together like any QB and any OC. Talk while on the sideline, get a surface tablet like the other 31 have....there can't be this disconnect.

The Titans history does dictate that if Mariota is not performing well and/or gets hurt, a guy can lose his job. I think the shine is off him some and this isn't the case anymore but LaFleur could simply be told he's not making the most of Mariota's talents. 

LaFleur meets with the press every Thursday, and usually only then. He has been extremely forthcoming and honest. He is a good good guy. He does say he needs to do better at XYZ and takes the blame. On the one hand, you could quote him and just fire him for those reasons. On the other, the honesty is refreshing and ya know he realizes to adjust 

The FB stuff is idiotic. Vrabel has said a zillion times that he wants a FB and they finally brought back their guy. The Titans were hitting better and had some spunk to them. Then they cut him as if 3rd RB Fluellen was key and they needed to replace him. LaFleur uses a TE in the backfield who is awful as a leadblocker and slow and gets in the way. That flip to the 3rd TE on the goal line was the dumbest play call this season and cost them a W and maybe the playoffs. (It's this "I am so clever" attitude we see that hurts him so much) He hasn't adjusted and last night we saw two TEs and a RB in the backfield. Just sign the FB back onto the roster and stop that stuff.

Bama runs a scheme that involves zone blocking. Henry has had success in some variation of the zone scheme. Their decision to ignore that and ignore his preseason and camp success is totally on them. He led the NFL in 4th Q rushing last year and the Titans had a best ever type stat line for runs behind Lewan. There were weeks where Henry got like two carries in the fourth and they barely ran left. Gurley likes the right. Gurley gets 4th Q breathers. He's fixed it now, but that was ridiculous.

Last night's stat, Mariota is 18 for 18 converting 1 yard runs. He doesn't get many of those this year. There is not this awareness of what talent he inherited, often.

He did apologize for not using Taywan. He's been a starter and/or played a ton of snaps. How is that acceptable? How is the QB or offense to succeed if he's admitting not using a WR on one side for most plays? Now Taylor has been involved the last two games and has like 10 catches for 180 but...

LaFleur doesn't seem to be aware how his ego hurts him. We all go through this in life but usually at a young age. I don't get how he is his age and unaware. 

He is a fantastic interview. Supposedly many teams were going to hire him last year. He is, somehow, still on the list of HC candidates. This is his first time calling plays and how is lack of experience or success not holding him back? It's odd

I think the Titans will fire LaFleur or hire an ol ball coach to advise. I think the OL coach will be gone.

The Steelers are rumored to be making a HC change every year despite the guy's success. This year, for whatever reason, Titans fans talk of bringing Munchak back home. First things first is the Steelers gotta be crazy enough to get rid of their head coach that wins. An old tough guy that's intelligent and a HOFer could do a world of good in meeting rooms and around LaFleur. I don't think this happens but it goes to last year when they had Grimm and we all expected both he and LaFleur to stick because Vrabel knew them and praised them. Grimm would not be quiet about these "fancy" plays that go nowhere or his linemen backpedaling all the time. Regardless, of this, the Titans need a tough guy type in the locker room and hopefully coaching the OL. I think we'll find out what Vrabel offense is and I don't think we've truly seen it. He wasn't all that great as a player but he was smart and tough. This O doesn't personify him at all

Played against him in both my leagues.

Wait, no I didn't... my opponent benched him in both. Dayyyyyyyyyyyyamn.

I've been starting him basically all season as the last of my 3 available flex spots in the one league I have him in... finally paid off!

Super weird league that has double head to head games each week, our playoffs don't start until week 15, and I'm in 5th place needing wins in both match ups to move up to 4th. My match ups this week are against the #1 team (22-4 record) and the 4th place team. His 61 points (1.25 pts per rushing yard) almost assuredly put me in the playoffs.

Thanks Derrick!

Lewis is a good back in small doses; Henry is a great back in large doses.  Henry may have five carries for 0 yards and then bust a 50 yarder. You have to keep feeding him.  The Titans should fire someone--either the OC or the HC or both--for ignoring the talent they had.   

This is the full highlights of all his runs in the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjeLOrojZwE

Anyone who has watched Henry run is not really surprised to see he could do this because he has done it since his rookie year. He has the best stiff arm of any back I can recall. And he has great speed for a guy so big. He also has great lateral quickness for such a big guy, which you see on the run where he starts up the middle and then moves to the right to get around the corner and none of the defenders can move quickly enough to close it down.  This guy is a special combination of size and speed and he should get the ball 15-25 times per game.

Last edited by a moderator:
tombonneau said:
So Kamara and Henry owners can watch each others' heads explode?

Lewis is a good back in small doses; Henry is a great back in large doses.  Henry may have five carries for 0 yards and then bust a 50 yarder. You have to keep feeding him.  The Titans should fire someone--either the OC or the HC or both--for ignoring the talent they had.   
This x 1,000,000.  He's huge and fast, his game is wearing down defenses.  I drafted him this year in every league I could because I was convinced (and still am) if Tenn would just give him the ball 20ish times per game he'd be a low end RB1.   Same thing that it took the Saints 4 freaking years to figure out with Ingram.  Feed him the ball over and over and over again and let the man do his work. 

This x 1,000,000.  He's huge and fast, his game is wearing down defenses.  I drafted him this year in every league I could because I was convinced (and still am) if Tenn would just give him the ball 20ish times per game he'd be a low end RB1.   Same thing that it took the Saints 4 freaking years to figure out with Ingram.  Feed him the ball over and over and over again and let the man do his work. 
a big talented back can do just that. I blame pigheaded coaches for wanting to run their system over wanting to run their best back.

So Kamara and Henry owners can watch each others' heads explode?
I own them both. ;)

Dude in my other dynasty starts Ingram/Kamara and usually works out well. Sure you won't have tons of massive blow up weeks where your RB1 & RB2 go for 30, but you'll get a ton of consistency out of the RB position.

Last edited by a moderator:

This is the full highlights of all his runs in the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjeLOrojZwE

Anyone who has watched Henry run is not really surprised to see he could do this because he has done it since his rookie year. He has the best stiff arm of any back I can recall. And he has great speed for a guy so big. He also has great lateral quickness for such a big guy, which you see on the run where he starts up the middle and then moves to the right to get around the corner and none of the defenders can move quickly enough to close it down.  This guy is a special combination of size and speed and he should get the ball 15-25 times per game.
Looking back on that 99-yarder, 84 didn't exactly seal the deal with his downfield block at the end haha.

Bri said:
the best RB in high school history, the former Heisman winner, and the guy coached by Barry's RB coach and who works out with Eddie George just waved to the NFL
Ha, Thx.  This one is so puzzling to me.

I am not a fantasy football expert, or a football expert, and I know there have been mediocre RBs that have exploded for a game in the past... but Jesus, this just seems like a massive miss by the Titans coaching staff.

I was high on him preseason, and I had totally given up on the guy and written him off as a miss by ME for FF purposes... appears he just needs a better situation in all facets.

Is he going to have another good game over the next two games?  Or was this a total fluke?
Good, probably. Great, no, doubtful.

It appears LaFleur has botched the zone blocking system that the Rams use and he and the OL coach have just mangled it.

The Titans have a regular pro bowler at LT, an all pro/pro bowler at RT, and a G that only allows a sack every nine games and still can pull off pancakes in the NFL. They WERE one of the best lines in football, joining the Cowboys, but this new staff has wrecked that.

Dion Lewis had more carries than Henry despite his success. Don't underestimate Vrabel's anxiousness to show the world his ego and tell everyone he knows best.

Pasting 

Vrabel was asked how Henry’s performance on Thursday might change how the team approaches things in the run game going forward.

“Well, if you could promise that same type of success our past meetings would've been pretty short,” Vrabel said. “The one thing that is great about this league is you have to do it every week. You have to be able to consistently come out and do the things that you feel like are a strength.

“Just because you had one good game one week, or you had a couple of sacks, or had a couple tackles, or threw a couple of touchdown passes, you have to come back each and every week and prove it.”

Henry now has 712 yards and nine touchdowns on 145 carries on the season for the Titans.

Running back Dion Lewis has 477 yards and a touchdown on his 145 carries.

“Derrick will have all the opportunity to continue to do that, and to help us,” Vrabel said. “His attitude and his preparation has remained consistent and that was always good to see. So we’ll try and keep that going. Obviously we have to try and keep that going.”

It appears LaFleur has botched the zone blocking system that the Rams use and he and the OL coach have just mangled it.

The Titans have a regular pro bowler at LT, an all pro/pro bowler at RT, and a G that only allows a sack every nine games and still can pull off pancakes in the NFL. They WERE one of the best lines in football, joining the Cowboys, but this new staff has wrecked that.

Dion Lewis had more carries than Henry despite his success. Don't underestimate Vrabel's anxiousness to show the world his ego and tell everyone he knows best.

Pasting 

Vrabel was asked how Henry’s performance on Thursday might change how the team approaches things in the run game going forward.

“Well, if you could promise that same type of success our past meetings would've been pretty short,” Vrabel said. “The one thing that is great about this league is you have to do it every week. You have to be able to consistently come out and do the things that you feel like are a strength.

“Just because you had one good game one week, or you had a couple of sacks, or had a couple tackles, or threw a couple of touchdown passes, you have to come back each and every week and prove it.”

Henry now has 712 yards and nine touchdowns on 145 carries on the season for the Titans.

“Derrick will have all the opportunity to continue to do that, and to help us,” Vrabel said. “His attitude and his preparation has remained consistent and that was always good to see. So we’ll try and keep that going. Obviously we have to try and keep that going.”
What consistent success has Vrabel had as a coach? By his own standard, he should be fired. My guess is it won't be until after next year and then Vrabel will get his just return.

Pasting 

Good info.  Feel like this guy is totally cutting words...... What a vagina.  

I feel like he is flex start-able going forward.  My gut.

He is not Gurley and Vrabel is not McVay.  And we have some outstanding blockers out here in LA, including our WRs.

Good luck bro.

I am probably one of the stronger Dion Lewis apologists on this board (he looked as good as any RB in the league his breakout season with NE) but if that isn’t a cut and dried “one of these guys should be getting more carries than the other” I don’t know what is

I am probably one of the stronger Dion Lewis apologists on this board (he looked as good as any RB in the league his breakout season with NE) but if that isn’t a cut and dried “one of these guys should be getting more carries than the other” I don’t know what is
And Dion might benefit from it, even 

It's a different league now. Teams don't use the FB anymore but some TE pretending he is to save a roster spot. RBs don't get X amount of carries to get going. Maybe Bell, maybe ADP, maybe the elite, but in general that's been dead for years now. 

I don't agree with it one bit. Fowler was a top rated FB by PFF and 3rd best the year before. All PFF is rating is blitz pickup and did he land his block (maybe catch percentage and rushing for a handful of plays) In this regard, PFF ratings are perfect and show a clear efficiency. There may be gripes with how PFF rates this or that, but in some regards like the FB, it's very simple and illustrates things perfectly. The Titans averaged more than 5 ypc when they ran behind Fowler. The Pats use a FB and the league copies a zillion other things BB does, yet here we have coaches claiming they know better than him and getting rid of the FB. For me, this is all "you dopes! use the FB!"

The Sooners produced a fascinating FB last year. Flowers was a 3rd down scat back type that seemed to go to the sideline and put his hard hat on, then return to play FB and nail someone. Without a doubt, the hardest hitting 3rd down back you ever saw yet when he catches a screen and scoots, ya gotta look at the # to make sure it's the same guy. He couldn't make a loaded Chiefs backfield (where former RBs like Thomas also play WR) and he's not even on a team now. If saving a roster spot is so important, then there ya go. A lot of teams' 3rd or 4th RB don't even play but ST. At least this guy would have contributed. Fowler, BTW, had great hands for a FB and played slot WR in two camps and did very well.

Eddie George explained RBs not getting the carries to get going as the offenses changing. OCs are looking for 7 yards per play while it used to be 4. A coach would absolutely ride a guy with the simple math that 3 carries times 4 gets you a first. It's not that way. OCs want the quick 7. 10 yards may come from a missed tackle and 7 plus a few yards. Maybe it comes from a second play netting 7. He explained that if ya look at this Titans group for example, Mariota can beat someone to the sideline for 7, throw a quick slant, throw a flip to Dion who scampers for 7, Davis can run a quick curl for 7. To him, OCs wanted more and they found out they could get it. When the DBs are backed off prepared for the quick 7, a fast RB can take off and get the 7 before the DB can respond quick enough, so what would have probably been a four yard carry in year's past, that just got them 7. 

Eddie is genuinely concerned for Henry. (Before this game) He explained that (when he's a free agent) he would need to spend some time with his agent looking for the right coach, maybe an older one, to find a guy that would still do it the old way. Eddie has no doubt Henry would dominate in any previous era. The interviewer mentioned his size and strength and George says it's because of how he thinks, his mental makeup. You can put a team on his back and he's totally comfortable, while other backs act like they're carrying a piano. It was a great analogy. George and Henry are friends, maybe mentor student...not sure what ya call it. Henry has met tons of former backs and players through George. He is quite aware of the change in philosophy around the league and that "let Lewis get the 5th TD" bit was some of what people have said for years- Henry is a special special guy. A true good guy, raised by his grandma, that doesn't take anything for granted and is very respectful of others. The old timers love Henry too. 

Vrabel is a former player in that era. He should know and appreciate the value of a back like that. He should also appreciate a FB because he played it on many plays and his teams always had one. BB uses one and Vrabel came from there. BB has ridden Dillon, Blount, and now Michel and if he's got the back, he'll ride him it's just that he usually has a different set of backs on the roster. Vrabel's got this "fresh" new offense by LaFleur and whatever rookie understanding of the game evolving. I keep saying this isn't a Vrabel offense and I can't say that enough- he was tougher and more hard-nosed. We will know a Vrabel offense when we see one.  

Another thing was pointed out recently, Delanie is an intelligent player and a sound blocker if not a real good blocker. They are missing him in the run game too. Henry loves the corner (like many classic backs) and if Walker can return before the season ends, that would really help the backs a bunch. If you watch a play develop, the blocks are there initially but a good second (maybe two) and they can't hold em'. The backup TEs are doing it right, they're just not winning long enough. Walker's got every veteran trick a TE would have and he'll figure a way to hold that corner even if he has to dive to get in the DE's way. The key-ness of the TE also lends to BB and Vrabel's "upbringing" too. 

The Titans will now start the smartest TE in football. Firkser who is a perfect 16 for 16 in passes thrown his way and runs perfect routes. He's a harvard grad and it's evident, but he isn't big and tough. He won't hold the corner. Not against a 300lb burly DE. Stocker is just awful at blocking and we've griped about it all year. Jonnu's injury hurts Henry and Lewis. They're gonna have to run up the middle or script it just right for Lewan to be beastly. They really need to re-sign the FB, but they won't. Vrabel spoke of MyCole Pruitt playing very well after Jonnu's injury. He's an inexperienced TE that is OMG cut and looks like a WR because he is so. Pruitt has been "in trouble" for blocking the wrong guy many times and yeah he looks like he could fight anyone but the guy can't even get his assignments right, next to an intelligent soul like Firkser, Pruitt appears dumb when he does it. If Conk didn't get hurt, the Titans could use Dennis Kelly as the blocking TE as they have the prior two years. There's a real problem with the corner not gonna be there and it probably goes to Spain. The best G everyone disrespects and doesn't appreciate.  Look how far he is down the field in the Henry highlights, look how he blows up several pro bowl caliber members of the Jags DL. Vrabel benched him the game before to make an example out of him. It's not like he has this extreme faith in Spain but they gotta run there. At worst, Henry can maybe bounce it with Lewan blocking next to him. The TE not holding the edge makes it tricky.

And Dion might benefit from it, even 
And quite possibly Henry benefited from it Thursday.

I am one who does not think the Titans have misused their RB's this year, not in the least.  But now it's time to fade Dion and use a fairly fresh legged big fast back more, which I think they will be doing.

Interesting spin on Vrabel by the national media-

He will not keep his job with a 200 yard rusher on the sideline.

This started a radio conversation I heard on ESPN radio and TEN radio

The obvious points are that Lewis can get carries and they can share the load some but a coach must use a player to the best of their ability and sitting a guy isn't doing that.

The other is (which I didn't think of) that owners make millions of $ from a star and an NFL owner looks at a potential star like a rising stock. This has me hmmmm since the Titans will have (somewhat) of an ownership change this offseason going from sister to brother in the Adams family. 

The general consensus for Vrabel has been he has 2 years or at least midway through next year, but he needs to show something as the season closes and be open to change/progress during the offseason. This patience has been wearing down with some incidents and their season only having an 11% chance of making the playoffs

Users who are viewing this thread