What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Derrick Henry, BAL (3 Viewers)

Interesting spin on Vrabel by the national media-

He will not keep his job with a 200 yard rusher on the sideline.

This started a radio conversation I heard on ESPN radio and TEN radio

The obvious points are that Lewis can get carries and they can share the load some but a coach must use a player to the best of their ability and sitting a guy isn't doing that.

The other is (which I didn't think of) that owners make millions of $ from a star and an NFL owner looks at a potential star like a rising stock. This has me hmmmm since the Titans will have (somewhat) of an ownership change this offseason going from sister to brother in the Adams family. 

The general consensus for Vrabel has been he has 2 years or at least midway through next year, but he needs to show something as the season closes and be open to change/progress during the offseason. This patience has been wearing down with some incidents and their season only having an 11% chance of making the playoffs
Thanks.  Heisman winner, touted draftee and massive performance.  I mean... you gotta wonder what is going on with that coaching staff.  OH, and I have a reason to be bitter.  I'd be in second place by 0.13 points in the FFPC right now had I started Henry.

I don't know a lot about the Titans, but I am super frustrated with his usage this year.  OK my venting is done.  Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
Reactions: Bri
Thanks.  Heisman winner, touted draftee and massive performance.  I mean... you gotta wonder what is going on with that coaching staff.  OH, and I have a reason to be bitter.  I'd be in second place by 0.13 points in the FFPC right now had I started Henry.

I don't know a lot about the Titans, but I am super frustrated with his usage this year.  OK my venting is done.  Thank you.
We all are. Had him every year and finally cut bait mid year this year but I’m really curious to see what he could do with Zeke-like touches. 

so tempted to put him out there, poor rushing D opponent, team playing for their playoff lives....odds of NYG getting a lead and taking him out of the game flow? 

leftcoastheel said:

Hard pill to swallow sometimes and trust me I know because  I'd also be in second in the FFPC contest if I'd started Henry, trailing first by 5 points. And I got two teams in that RTS league that would be in 11th and 13th place if I"d started him trailing first by around 20. So about 5 points from sniffing $250K and 20 points from my teams sniffing $200K. No biggie, right?  Though I must say the only one of those 3 leagues I actually mulled starting him was the FFPC league so it's not like they were all wrong WDIS decisions but still can be hard to take.

But unlike you I'm not frustrated with his usage.  I think up until a few weeks ago Dion was outplaying him and  I think the fact that Henry is fairly fresh is a big assist to him right now.  If this last game does not earn him more usage then I I can see having a reason to be super frustrated, but right now only person I'm frustrated with is me for not starting him.

Hard pill to swallow sometimes and trust me I know because  I'd also be in second in the FFPC contest if I'd started Henry, trailing first by 5 points. And I got two teams in that RTS league that would be in 11th and 13th place if I"d started him trailing first by around 20. So about 5 points from sniffing $250K and 20 points from my teams sniffing $200K. No biggie, right?  Though I must say the only one of those 3 leagues I actually mulled starting him was the FFPC league so it's not like they were all wrong WDIS decisions but still can be hard to take.

But unlike you I'm not frustrated with his usage.  I think up until a few weeks ago Dion was outplaying him and  I think the fact that Henry is fairly fresh is a big assist to him right now.  If this last game does not earn him more usage then I I can see having a reason to be super frustrated, but right now only person I'm frustrated with is me for not starting him.
Precisely my point from a FF standpoint.  He was un-startable because of his usage.  Perhaps Lewis was outplaying him... but it appears to me, in my admittedly minimal knowledge of the Titans since I just don't watch them often, it was poor coaching and poor personnel decisions.

That's my frustration.  You should not be frustrated with yourself for benching him against JAX dude... that was the obvious play.

.  You should not be frustrated with yourself for benching him against JAX dude... that was the obvious play.
Maybe but when I referenced the FFPC league as the one league I was mulling using him it was him or Michel, the other two leagues had stronger options so he got zero consideration.

And why I guess it was maybe not so obvious is Michel was not an overly strong option either and  a good friend of mine called me right before the game to get my lineup advice for a local league he was in with a fairly high stakes, as local leagues go. He thought he should go with Henry over Michel and it was not easy to make him change his mind, he felt strong about it and it  took me a few minutes to convince him that Michel was the right call. Wrong person called for advice last week.

Anyway one of the reasons I took Henry was I assumed he'd be not be heavily used and with Dion's injury history it could make Henry a fresh legged beast when it was time to win big money. Dion has remained healthy but hopefully that time is here and it's not to late for us.

But a lot of times I'll blame coaches for lack of or improper use of a player and this is just not one of those cases, I never watched Titans games this year thinking to myself they have got to give Henry more touches or he is being criminally underused, thought he got the playing time his performance earned.

No posts today? 170 and 2 on the day. Maybe they’ll give him a legit shot to be the bell cow next year.

Unbelievable because I didn’t draft him.  He was dropped week 13 by another owner for Rex Burkhead.  I used a low waiver and picked him up.  Had a week 14 bye.  Stashed him.  Then I lost Hunt. Then I prayed that week 14 was not a fluke but was ready for the worst.  Now I’m going to advance to the ship.  I’m hoping they continue to ride him.

How short of rosters? He has frustrated the hell out of me in my 12x22 dyno, but I couldn’t have imagined cutting him even at the lowest point.
Agreed. I’d at least listen to trade offers. But no way I’d cut him in dynasty. Too much potential.

Everything was posted in the game thread.
God am I gonna have to consider keeping him again? I was sort of relieved to be done with him but for some unknown reason I have an obsession with the idea that suddenly the last two games are gonna be the norm rather than the exception. I seriously think he has top 5 upside. 

God am I gonna have to consider keeping him again? I was sort of relieved to be done with him but for some unknown reason I have an obsession with the idea that suddenly the last two games are gonna be the norm rather than the exception. I seriously think he has top 5 upside. 
It's because he's a tank. What a guy to have back there if they feed him 30 times.

I'm a Lewis fan, not really a Henry thumper, but 100% agree.   Vrabel should be fired for how badly he botched this the first 12 games.
Today, he said the attitude changed when they brought back Jalston (Fowler) and when he saw Flu run three times. That's what he wants and what he's been pushing this team to do.

First off, I'm glad he finally admitted what everyone else has been saying after his failed boxing gloves practice.

He's been an ego-filled hypocrite since day one contradicting himself many many times. I have 8000 issues with him but sticking with Henry...

how can a former LB not see Henry and think holy cow I wouldn't want to tackle a guy that big and fast? Or appreciate him slamming into defenders? Or how fired up guys like Lewan get when they see a stiff arm or big hit? 

I've been saying all year, he reminds me of BB in Cleveland, not BB in NE. He clearly overthinks everything, changes his mind, and consequently confuses people. 

I have been saying since the beginning- if a new coach didn't want Grimm and Lebeau, then I don't want him. As you can see, this very attitude has carried on throughout the calendar year. He wants everything to be his decision or his guy or his call and it's just naive. 

99% of NFL people would love to have learned under BB and Lebeau. Have a former hall of fame as an OL coach who coached the top and second-ranked line in the NFL as the young guys clicked with him. It's maddening what this guy has let his ego do to this season.

He's been living off potential due to a very low volume work load not really because of lack of production.
He did nothing with the touches that he received during the first half of the year (in two of the first 6 he had 18 carries, one of which was the jaguars, same team he blew up last week.  Week 3 against them 18 carries for only 57, last week 17 carries for 238 and 4 TDs ), barely averaged 3 yards a carry and how many games did it take for him to score his first touchdown this year?  Seven!!  Zero out of 90 carries and a handful of targets to boot.  And now this.

I packaged him in a trade to get james white, essentially gave him away for free. Bad, but not as bad as it seems though as I would have been eliminated from the playoffs had i not had white that one week, as it stands now it looks as though I’ll be advancing to our title game. Then again, I possibly could have gotten White without even including Henry in the trade.

I got him for peanuts in my dynasty league a month ago.   He was definitely in a buyers market just two weeks ago.  That has obviously changed quick.  Hoping for a strong finish so I can flip him for something decent.  

I got him for peanuts in my dynasty league a month ago.   He was definitely in a buyers market just two weeks ago.  That has obviously changed quick.  Hoping for a strong finish so I can flip him for something decent.  
You may not want to flip him anytime soon or next year someone may be posting just what you posted.

He did nothing with the touches that he received during the first half of the year (in two of the first 6 he had 18 carries, one of which was the jaguars, same team he blew up last week.  Week 3 against them 18 carries for only 57, last week 17 carries for 238 and 4 TDs ), barely averaged 3 yards a carry and how many games did it take for him to score his first touchdown this year?  Seven!!  Zero out of 90 carries and a handful of targets to boot.  And now this.

I packaged him in a trade to get james white, essentially gave him away for free. Bad, but not as bad as it seems though as I would have been eliminated from the playoffs had i not had white that one week, as it stands now it looks as though I’ll be advancing to our title game. Then again, I possibly could have gotten White without even including Henry in the trade.
PK wrote an article about how he averaged 1.8ypc after his prior 100 yard games. During the discussion, we shifted to carries per quarter because most people believed that even after he rushed twice for an 80+ yard run, he still had a backup role. If you look at many many games during his career, per quarter, he got 2 maybe 3 carries except for the fourth in 2016 and 2017.

You "can't" judge a sled dog back well by 2,3 carries.

Onto LaFleur- Both years mentioned, he averaged more than any other back in the NFL in the 4th. It took LaFleur many weeks to realize this and get on-board. Lewis would primarily get it in the 4th. The other thing is, last year, Taylor Lewan had one of the best years ever for a tackle. Run in his direction averaged...are you ready? yeah it's that kind of stat....10.22 yards per carry! LaFleur (much like Vrabel in that I have a big ego so I'll do it my way) insisted on pushing all these runs to the right. It wasn't until 5?weeks ago, that they finally started predominantly running left. 

Mariota has a best ever TD to INT ratio in the red zone. Look how many passes were called when they got near.

Mariota was perfect (until a grrr call today) at converting "and 1s" and it took LaFleur weeks to realize that.

LaFleur and Vrabel watched every game from 2016 and 2017. They also watched every practice since those are filmed. They claimed to draw up an offense that suited the players best. It was what they learned on tape, Rams, and Pats/Steelers combo. Did they fall asleep watching the prior tapes? Hangout and watch netflix? It absolutely seems like that was a lie. How could you take over a team that gains 10ypc to the left and ...all the previous, and do the opposite?

(Just an FYI, Lewan is having his "worst" year and the runs "only" average 7.25 ypc to the left.)

Henry hasn't always had great games. I'm not trying to shine on him. This is a backup that outrushed the starter last year and was supposed to be the starter this year because of it. This year, he outrushed the starter as a backup too. (Ignoring his prior history) When in FF have you ever been like "the backup rushes for more so stick with the starter?" That's a crystal clear sign for coaches to play the backup more

A while back, in one of the buy low or WW threads, I mentioned adding Henry cheap (on the chance they got some stuff figured out coming out of their BYE) might be a good move. Was mocked. Fortunes can definitely change quick.

PK wrote an article about how he averaged 1.8ypc after his prior 100 yard games. During the discussion, we shifted to carries per quarter because most people believed that even after he rushed twice for an 80+ yard run, he still had a backup role. If you look at many many games during his career, per quarter, he got 2 maybe 3 carries except for the fourth in 2016 and 2017.

You "can't" judge a sled dog back well by 2,3 carries.

Onto LaFleur- Both years mentioned, he averaged more than any other back in the NFL in the 4th. It took LaFleur many weeks to realize this and get on-board. Lewis would primarily get it in the 4th. The other thing is, last year, Taylor Lewan had one of the best years ever for a tackle. Run in his direction averaged...are you ready? yeah it's that kind of stat....10.22 yards per carry! LaFleur (much like Vrabel in that I have a big ego so I'll do it my way) insisted on pushing all these runs to the right. It wasn't until 5?weeks ago, that they finally started predominantly running left. 

Mariota has a best ever TD to INT ratio in the red zone. Look how many passes were called when they got near.

Mariota was perfect (until a grrr call today) at converting "and 1s" and it took LaFleur weeks to realize that.

LaFleur and Vrabel watched every game from 2016 and 2017. They also watched every practice since those are filmed. They claimed to draw up an offense that suited the players best. It was what they learned on tape, Rams, and Pats/Steelers combo. Did they fall asleep watching the prior tapes? Hangout and watch netflix? It absolutely seems like that was a lie. How could you take over a team that gains 10ypc to the left and ...all the previous, and do the opposite?

(Just an FYI, Lewan is having his "worst" year and the runs "only" average 7.25 ypc to the left.)

Henry hasn't always had great games. I'm not trying to shine on him. This is a backup that outrushed the starter last year and was supposed to be the starter this year because of it. This year, he outrushed the starter as a backup too. (Ignoring his prior history) When in FF have you ever been like "the backup rushes for more so stick with the starter?" That's a crystal clear sign for coaches to play the backup more
Hasn't TN also finally shifted away from the zone blocking it was running most of the season to more power blocking the past couple games?

The shift is from hybrid zone to zone back to hybrid zone.

In my words, they'll block all fancy and be concerned with the angles of the shoulders but sometimes they're just gonna man up and fight ya

I just saw that Henry set a record for the mos yards in a 2 game span. The record once being held by Earl Campbell.

Fresh legs and all that. I saw some replays of Henrys runs, on one of them he delivers two stiff arms that effectively blocks two defenders himself.

As a Titans fan, I'm with you.

But I've got Henry on zero teams
I have Henry on some pretty important teams that stand to win a ton of money this week... so......... 🙏🙏🙏????

'Cause  I believed early on, powered through the crap games, and other players kept me alive... not he's the X Factor, so please! 

Obv all in good fun, but damn I hope he crushes it this week and you guys dominate.

Users who are viewing this thread