What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Derrick Henry, BAL (3 Viewers)

The only question is what the hell took so long?
DeMarco Murray had a great year and needed to fade in year two. He was a top three RB and it's not wrong for a rookie to sit behind a top three back.

Midway through the year, Henry (as a sub) surpassed Murray in rushing yards and at that point he should have been given the keys.

Dion Lewis was a good free agent by 30 teams in the NFL. By former Patriots Jon Robinson and Mike Vrabel, he was a stud free agent big add. He was a key player and did do well in New England, they just never took the time to look at other perspectives.

Jalston Fowler was an excellent fullback, he was the top rated FB by PFF and could even line up in the slot in a pinch. The Titans curiously cut him and with FBs being fazed out, few teams were interested despite him being the best, until the Seahawks picked him up. He was Henry's college roommate, BFF, and lead blocker. 

Between adding Lewis and losing his BFF, Henry did not run that strong at the start of last season. Eddie George met with him and pointed out several things that he clearly did different/worse. The Titans scooped Fowler up when the Hawks cut him. He smashed people in practice and even got a fine for doing so in a non-contact one. They had their bye and it was 2-3 weeks of Fowler but yet he didn't play in a game. All that hitting though, it juiced up the line and Henry and set everything straight again. 

Henry occasionally shares pics of he and Fowler and they're still best buds. Fowler is still ripped in the pics. The Titans added a FB to the mix when Tannehill took over- usually Jonnu sometimes Blasingame, and Henry finished the season with 70ish percent runs from the I formation. While unlikely, I wouldn't be surprised if Fowler is in camp next summer as the FB has been a big part of their turnaround and there's no doubt he's still in super shape. Blasingame is a college RB that's learning the FB role. He's a fine blocker but doesn't have that reckless smashing mindset that FBs have. He might be Henry's backup next year.

Anyway, ramble, there were reasons and they kind of make sense even if I disagree and would have done things differently. 

I get taking the backseat to Murray for a year or 2 but Dion Lewis is very head scratching to me. Also it seems like Marriota was really holding the whole offense back.

In the 20 games since Henry was made the bellcow last year, he has averaged 115.7 YPG and 1.3 TDs per game. That is now 15 of 20 games that he has scored a TD, scoring an impressive 26 times. 

But there are still people that don't like him.
Gotta admit that it was kinda freakish for him to do so little for so long ... and then just to flip a switch. That used to never happen with RBs — what they were as rookies (or maybe their second year) was generally what you got.

And now he’s an unrestricted FA. Titans seemed to really waste these early cheap years.
If I'm henry I would be really tempted to leave for a better qb situation/offense.  They are looking good right now but tannehill is not sustainable imo.  Question is who is going to step up and pay the king?

Ilov80s said:
If I’m Henry I just sign with whoever offers the most money. It’s unlikely there’s another real pay day coming.
Yeah I wonder how many teams want to pay a rb?  Doesnt seem like alot

Unless we're in a world where running backs don't want the ball, what situation could possibly be better for him than a team demonstrating their commitment to making him the centerpiece of their offense like this? 

Money will talk but if situation is a factor then Tennessee is the best by far.

Yeah I wonder how many teams want to pay a rb?  Doesnt seem like alot
The DJ and Gurley contracts seem to have backfired. However, Henry is red hot right now. I assume the Titans will make a significant offer after this recent success and his importance to it. What other teams would do something like this? Not many need a RB that bad. 

Doug B said:
Gotta admit that it was kinda freakish for him to do so little for so long ... and then just to flip a switch. That used to never happen with RBs — what they were as rookies (or maybe their second year) was generally what you got.
He just didn't get the volume he needed. It isn't like he ran for 3.4 yard per carry and sucked. When he got the chance he looked good and there are plenty of highlights runs from his first couple years. 

Ilov80s said:
And now he’s an unrestricted FA. Titans seemed to really waste these early cheap years.
JRob already said they will tag both Henry and Tannehill if a deal can't be worked out

He just didn't get the volume he needed. It isn't like he ran for 3.4 yard per carry and sucked. When he got the chance he looked good and there are plenty of highlights runs from his first couple years. 
Most of his damage is done late in games because the defense cant handle tackling him 30 times.

He is bigger, faster, stronger than any RB. Not even close. This was just a bad coach being bad at his job and showing that coaches who dont use their studs belong where they are....FIRED!

Vrabel doing it right, he doesnt even hand the ball to Lewis. Why would any coach hand it to Lewis when they have Henry? Its why you are fired.

Why have NFL coaches not learned committees suck and dont work? Some teams/players have success, but they are outliers.  

Feed your stud even if the other team knows its coming. If you think its high school and everyone needs to play, you shouldnt be a coach.

Feed your stud even if the other team knows its coming. If you think its high school and everyone needs to play, you shouldnt be a coach.
I don't think even high school coaches do that. I think the best players play the proper amount, according to the coach. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of his damage is done late in games because the defense cant handle tackling him 30 times.

He is bigger, faster, stronger than any RB. Not even close. This was just a bad coach being bad at his job and showing that coaches who dont use their studs belong where they are....FIRED!

Vrabel doing it right, he doesnt even hand the ball to Lewis. Why would any coach hand it to Lewis when they have Henry? Its why you are fired.

Why have NFL coaches not learned committees suck and dont work? Some teams/players have success, but they are outliers.  

Vrabel was there last year too

Leroy Hoard said:
Redraft it may not matter, but for those in dynasty it's a blessing in disguise. Less miles on that big engine.
Yep.  And I got him for next to nothing last season right before he started this tear he’s on. 

I don't think even high school coaches do that. I think the best players play the proper amount, according to the coach. 
So you trust coaches or just Vrabel?

I mean, we get 6-8 new coaches each year for a reason. So clearly some are not playing their best players.

Was Mularky playing his best players giving Lewis those touches? 

I mean, we get 6-8 new coaches each year for a reason. So clearly some are not playing their best players.

Lewis was in New England when Mularky coached the Titans dude. This is what we re trying to tell you.

Oh no. I was inferring from your statement that you were frustrated that high school players got to play just for equitable notions of playing time at the expense of their betters.

I think bad coaches at any level bury good players. I think good coaches at any level can bury some players.

I also think you're right -- Henry is a glaring error and a bad coach at a pro level was sitting him, and it cost him his job. 

Mularkey was very good with the run game. They named his running exotic smashmouth. Murray had 1300 or so Henry's first year AND filled in as the slot WR on third down because Kendall Wright was out the first several games. Murray was great that year. Henry did have some pass blocking learning to do this year too and both Murray and Croom were good teachers. Those guys had to get the league to NOT be impressed with Sankey and Cobb's potential too. How many here liked one of them? And Murray led the league in rushing in Dallas then supposedly stunk in Philly and then TEN got him for a song. Sylvester Croom is a long time RB coach and Barry's former coach etc- he did an awesome job weeding through the backs that summer. I was sad to see him go when Vrabel hired his own staff. In this thread's context- Mularkey did very well that year and Derrick should have been the backup.

Context-wise- Mularkey had two backs from previous drafts that supposedly had potential, Murray who supposedly could only play well behind Dallas' great line, a Heisman player that no one thought would hold up or succeed because of zone blocking schemes and tons of excuses so he fell to the second, and former UDFA Antonio Andrews.

what does tenn's draft look like?

what do they need?

i would like to see them draft another big, bruising RB to punnish defenders when spelling Henry.

grateful zed said:

what do they need?

i would like to see them draft another big, bruising RB to punnish defenders when spelling Henry.
According to @Bri they already have Blasingame in that role.

First and most important - RT. Conklin's probably gone and was never himself after the injury anyway

Second - Pass rush

More OL and DBs are always a hit, a developmental QB might be needed, backup ILB

According to @Bri they already have Blasingame in that role.
He looks it. His college tape shows it. I don't think he has a carry or only like one or two. It makes me apprehensive that they aren't at all using him to carry the ball; like the new kicker and how he hasn't kicked a FG. It might be nothing, it just is a bit odd

grateful zed said:

what do they need?

Is there one?

Bri said:
Thomas is a player too. I've noticed things like this the last two years- well-known good players shying away from contact with him. 

I remember a Henry story when Eddie George was interviewing him, high school seniors and juniors would make up an illness rather than have to tackle him. Eddie said something about Jim Brown sharing a similar story at all levels.

Along those lines, what happens when these guys have to face him again? Out of their division, it's just one game. Take the awesome Jalen Ramsey. He got trucked big time and ever since, he only dives at Henry's legs and doesn't even try an honest tackle. He is so arrogant and yet he's shy about tackling him? It really makes me wonder what the future will be like and I can't help but compare him to Jim Brown. There have only been guys like Jacobs and Bam Morris. Okoye might have been but he got hurt. We've never really had a big big back last since Brown.

BTW Branden Williams made the tackle of the year on Henry yesterday, kudos to him. He hugged him and ran right through him. That was great
Prisco- Talked to some Chiefs players Sunday about what it's like to tackle Derrick Henry and Tyrann Mathieu said he thought he broke his jaw hitting him on one play in the first meeting. Said it was like it hitting solid rock.

I shared this in the other thread, but this is what I was talking about. What's it gonna be like going up against him another time? 

I feel the same.  His value will never be higher.

Yes, he's a tank, but when a player runs the ball 30 times a game he doesn't have a long career.

I think it's Harstad who has some research arguing strongly against this. Tons of carries tends to foreshadow tons more carries rather than a shortening of a career, as only the true studs touch the ball that much. Henry would be in a good company if he kept being entrusted with these workloads, because it would mean he's producing at an elite level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Next Gen Stats‏Verified account @NextGenStats

Derrick Henry is among the fastest players in the NFL relative to size.

@KingHenry_2 reached 21.27 MPH on a 68-yard TD run in Week 10 vs KC, +2.45 MPH over expectation based on his weight (247 lbs).

Only Darren Waller, @saquon & @NickChubb21 ran faster relative to expectations.

12:15 PM - 15 Jan 2020

>>>>>   📊  >>>>> See Graph LINK

grateful zed said:
i ain't sellin.
I agree. It's a bird in hand kind of thing. Getting picks and or players for him is a crap shoot. Hell, I traded a red hot Kelvin Benjamin and my low #1 pick to move up to #2 to draft him his rookie year. That didn't work out for the other guy. Basically playing with house money at this point and since I waited this long to get production, might as well ride it out even if his shelf life might be limited. 

Last thing I need is a bitter tag and holdout scenario 
If there is anyone it wouldn't matter with it's him. No one in the NFL spends as much time working out as he does. He has a trainer that even goes over a plan with the Titans to try and make sure he gets proper tissue recovery and offseason things that are not even discussed for most.

Users who are viewing this thread