Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Derrick Henry, Titans

50 minutes ago, tackle for loss said:

So you trust coaches or just Vrabel?

I mean, we get 6-8 new coaches each year for a reason. So clearly some are not playing their best players.

Was Mularky playing his best players giving Lewis those touches? 

Mularkey was very good with the run game. They named his running exotic smashmouth. Murray had 1300 or so Henry's first year AND filled in as the slot WR on third down because Kendall Wright was out the first several games. Murray was great that year. Henry did have some pass blocking learning to do this year too and both Murray and Croom were good teachers. Those guys had to get the league to NOT be impressed with Sankey and Cobb's potential too. How many here liked one of them? And Murray led the league in rushing in Dallas then supposedly stunk in Philly and then TEN got him for a song. Sylvester Croom is a long time RB coach and Barry's former coach etc- he did an awesome job weeding through the backs that summer. I was sad to see him go when Vrabel hired his own staff. In this thread's context- Mularkey did very well that year and Derrick should have been the backup.

Context-wise- Mularkey had two backs from previous drafts that supposedly had potential, Murray who supposedly could only play well behind Dallas' great line, a Heisman player that no one thought would hold up or succeed because of zone blocking schemes and tons of excuses so he fell to the second, and former UDFA Antonio Andrews.

what does tenn's draft look like?

what do they need?

i would like to see them draft another big, bruising RB to punnish defenders when spelling Henry.

3 hours ago, grateful zed said:

what do they need?

i would like to see them draft another big, bruising RB to punnish defenders when spelling Henry.

Fortify that OL. Bread and butter

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, grateful zed said:

what do they need?

According to @Bri they already have Blasingame in that role.

First and most important - RT. Conklin's probably gone and was never himself after the injury anyway

Second - Pass rush

More OL and DBs are always a hit, a developmental QB might be needed, backup ILB

• Like 1

5 hours ago, msommer said:

According to @Bri they already have Blasingame in that role.

He looks it. His college tape shows it. I don't think he has a carry or only like one or two. It makes me apprehensive that they aren't at all using him to carry the ball; like the new kicker and how he hasn't kicked a FG. It might be nothing, it just is a bit odd

17 hours ago, grateful zed said:

what do they need?

Is there one?

On 1/12/2020 at 12:45 PM, Bri said:

Thomas is a player too. I've noticed things like this the last two years- well-known good players shying away from contact with him. 

I remember a Henry story when Eddie George was interviewing him, high school seniors and juniors would make up an illness rather than have to tackle him. Eddie said something about Jim Brown sharing a similar story at all levels.

Along those lines, what happens when these guys have to face him again? Out of their division, it's just one game. Take the awesome Jalen Ramsey. He got trucked big time and ever since, he only dives at Henry's legs and doesn't even try an honest tackle. He is so arrogant and yet he's shy about tackling him? It really makes me wonder what the future will be like and I can't help but compare him to Jim Brown. There have only been guys like Jacobs and Bam Morris. Okoye might have been but he got hurt. We've never really had a big big back last since Brown.

BTW Branden Williams made the tackle of the year on Henry yesterday, kudos to him. He hugged him and ran right through him. That was great

Prisco- Talked to some Chiefs players Sunday about what it's like to tackle Derrick Henry and Tyrann Mathieu said he thought he broke his jaw hitting him on one play in the first meeting. Said it was like it hitting solid rock.

I shared this in the other thread, but this is what I was talking about. What's it gonna be like going up against him another time? 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 11:31 AM, fruity pebbles said:

This is the offseason to trade him in dynasty leagues imo.

I feel the same.  His value will never be higher.

Yes, he's a tank, but when a player runs the ball 30 times a game he doesn't have a long career.

7 minutes ago, wgoldsph said:

Yes, he's a tank, but when a player runs the ball 30 times a game he doesn't have a long career.

Only 800 carries to this point. The buyer will benefit

42 minutes ago, wgoldsph said:

I think it's Harstad who has some research arguing strongly against this. Tons of carries tends to foreshadow tons more carries rather than a shortening of a career, as only the true studs touch the ball that much. Henry would be in a good company if he kept being entrusted with these workloads, because it would mean he's producing at an elite level.

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 3

Next Gen Stats‏Verified account @NextGenStats

Derrick Henry is among the fastest players in the NFL relative to size.

@KingHenry_2 reached 21.27 MPH on a 68-yard TD run in Week 10 vs KC, +2.45 MPH over expectation based on his weight (247 lbs).

Only Darren Waller, @saquon & @NickChubb21 ran faster relative to expectations.

12:15 PM - 15 Jan 2020

>>>>>   📊  >>>>> See Graph LINK

• Like 1

21 hours ago, grateful zed said:

i ain't sellin.

I agree. It's a bird in hand kind of thing. Getting picks and or players for him is a crap shoot. Hell, I traded a red hot Kelvin Benjamin and my low #1 pick to move up to #2 to draft him his rookie year. That didn't work out for the other guy. Basically playing with house money at this point and since I waited this long to get production, might as well ride it out even if his shelf life might be limited. 

13 hours ago, Walking Boot said:

Last thing I need is a bitter tag and holdout scenario 

If there is anyone it wouldn't matter with it's him. No one in the NFL spends as much time working out as he does. He has a trainer that even goes over a plan with the Titans to try and make sure he gets proper tissue recovery and offseason things that are not even discussed for most.

• Like 1

He got hit early so many times, the line seemed to negatively impact him today. With his big frame, even if they don't win their block but hold their own, he can usually get his.

Derrick Henry rushed 19 times for 69 yards and a score in Tennessee's AFC Championship loss to the Chiefs.

Henry initially earned his opportunity with a ludicrous four-game stretch (87/585/7) to close ‘18 and leveraged that newfound role into 303/1,540/16 on the ground, including the league’s 2019 rushing title and 83/446/2 in three postseason games. While his nonexistent receiving-game usage (24 targets) and invisibility in negative game scripts hindered his weekly floor, the Titans need only take on $1.125 million in dead cap this offseason to shed Dion Lewis’ contract and gift Henry further opportunity in 2020. Henry himself enters the new league year as an unrestricted free agent, but one would imagine GM Jon Robinson allocates an Ezekiel Elliott/Todd Gurley-like annual amount for the 26-year-old bruiser. Recency bias aside, Henry projects as a first-round pick for early Best-Ball leagues prior to the draft.

Jan 19, 2020, 8:21 PM ET

On 1/14/2020 at 11:32 AM, Bri said:

Is there one?

AJ Dillon, BC

• Like 1

16 hours ago, zeeshan2 said:

[Rich Eisen Show]: “Zeke Number is the floor.” Derrick Henry told us what he’s expecting come #NFL free agency

https://twitter.com/RichEisenShow/status/1223247751401615364?s=20

This is basically 4 years 60 mil, 15 per. After that, no one expects him to make the same amount.

The top runner in a market should be able to ask for the top money, he's not wrong.

The Titans have been riding a cap where they don't spend 18 mil avg per year and can easily afford it but many believe it's a purposeful gap that teams in smaller (NYC) markets use. It WILL come up in the CBA again. Regardless of the gap, they can afford it with 22 free agents and 100? 90? mil available

Do they want to pay a RB that much? It's the worst position and the worst market in pro sports. The dime a dozen mentality is so real it's awful. 

As was said when Gordon was doing his thing- 10-12 mil for 5 years is a good deal, good life and they'll greatly increase that with endorsements. Changing teams hurts their endorsements a ton. Henry should be mindful that he doesn't necessarily have to follow the market, be a trendsetter, or do a darn thing other than get paid and be happy.

As many have said, it's just more reasonable to tag him a couple time. He gets paid top 5 and if he gets hurt or doesn't produce they can get out from under it. 

Titans fans finally got to the AFCG after years where it felt like the Titans were the Browns. Henry was a big reason why and NOT bringing him back would be a big "dig" at the fanbase. Fan wise, the Titans almost have to bring back Tannehill and Henry. 

Running left behind Lewan took a hit this year, but it is still the best spot to run in the NFL over the last four years. 

What a difficult off-season for the Titans. You got the whole Tannehill situation. Did he show enough to earn trust on a long term commitment and if not he's probably getting $27M on franchise deal.

Then with Henry you got someone they've been slow to warm up to themselves. They offered him at trade deadline in 2018. Have at this point made him no contract offer. Elliot is probably the closest thing to a success in terms of a RB getting a big second payday that we currently have in the league but no team right now, even Dallas, relies on their RB more then the Titans.

Even if they retain them both you are looking at a situation were two players they only had to commit $4m in cap space to last year probably running them closer to $40M in cap space in 2020.  They got the cap space for it, losing Mariotta's $20M is huge, but man I'd hate to be the decision maker on that team right now and looking at committing so much more money to these two but don't see how they afford to lose either of them without viable backup plans.

• Like 1

Rotoworld take:

Speaking in an interview last week, impending free agent Derrick Henry said Ezekiel Elliott's six-year, $90 million contract is "the floor" for what he will be seeking.

Elliott's deal included $50 million guaranteed, with $28 million of that guaranteed at signing. Henry later said he misunderstood host Rich Eisen's question, but it's not exactly rocket science where his agent will start out in talks. Those are the kind of numbers a running back might get from an in-house extension, but it's been a long time since a runner broke the bank like that on the open market. Henry is one of the more fascinating free agent cases in recent memory.

SOURCE: Rich Eisen on Twitter

Feb 4, 2020, 2:47 PM ET

Tannehill switched to same agent as Henry.

Two schools of thought- sign us both so we can stick together or give Tannehill the $ and tell Titans fans we had same agent tried to work it out. 

It's easy to find cheap RBs not easy to find good cheap QBs so if it's one or the other Tannehill has a big advantage.

He has been phenomenal over the last 21 regular season games. If the Titans have the answer of what the difference was (compared to before this stretch) I would understand them paying him (not agree but understand). As a GM I just don't see how you set the bar with a running back contract these days. They have a solid surrounding cast and this is a decent draft to find an RB. 

25 minutes ago, King of the Jungle said:

He has been phenomenal over the last 21 regular season games. If the Titans have the answer of what the difference was (compared to before this stretch) I would understand them paying him (not agree but understand). As a GM I just don't see how you set the bar with a running back contract these days. They have a solid surrounding cast and this is a decent draft to find an RB. 

Even though I said I would be surprised if he wasn't a Titan in 2020, I agree with you.  There is no way I would invest a lot of money in a RB.  It's been proven to be a bad investment and like you said, this is a good draft to find a RB and a rookie contract for a good RB makes more sense in team building.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Even though I said I would be surprised if he wasn't a Titan in 2020, I agree with you.  There is no way I would invest a lot of money in a RB.  It's been proven to be a bad investment and like you said, this is a good draft to find a RB and a rookie contract for a good RB makes more sense in team building.

And it is really too bad for those guys as running back has really become a thankless position. But from a business/financial perspective it just doesn't make good sense. The other factor in TEN is the fanbase. As a business with ticketholders you do need to be conscious of your fans to some degree. Not sure what the climate is on Henry in regards to Titan fans but I am sure after seeing his production on the field this season they would like him in uniform. And maybe both sides can come to a reasonable contract that appeases everyone. Maybe some market setting performance escalators to provide the opportunity to get more money is the starting point for these guys. Otherwise eventually everyone will just be done paying this position because it just never seems to work out. 

5 minutes ago, King of the Jungle said:

And it is really too bad for those guys as running back has really become a thankless position. But from a business/financial perspective it just doesn't make good sense. The other factor in TEN is the fanbase. As a business with ticketholders you do need to be conscious of your fans to some degree. Not sure what the climate is on Henry in regards to Titan fans but I am sure after seeing his production on the field this season they would like him in uniform. And maybe both sides can come to a reasonable contract that appeases everyone. Maybe some market setting performance escalators to provide the opportunity to get more money is the starting point for these guys. Otherwise eventually everyone will just be done paying this position because it just never seems to work out. 

The way to go for both sides may be to get a decent signing bonus and first year salary but set the rest up as basically a series of one year contracts. Obviously that's not ideal for the player but if they continue to perform well they can keep getting paid while starting off with a decent nest egg. It's not really fair for a RB but the reality is RBs don't age very well.

2 hours ago, Dr. Octopus said:

The way to go for both sides may be to get a decent signing bonus and first year salary but set the rest up as basically a series of one year contracts. Obviously that's not ideal for the player but if they continue to perform well they can keep getting paid while starting off with a decent nest egg. It's not really fair for a RB but the reality is RBs don't age very well.

....and never have.

1 hour ago, JohnnyU said:

....and never have.

Frank Gore is probably an alien, but he's aged like a fine wine

9 hours ago, King of the Jungle said:

💙💛♥️ There's a decent amount of Titans fans in Alabama (too many falcons fans too, but I get it), we love the guy. 

Franchise at the least. Hopefully work a deal that's good for both. 

1 minute ago, Rig24 said:

MJD really going out there on a limb.  Haven't seen any rankings with Henry in the top 5.

Never liked him as an analyst. Always seems to be trying to make some big statement that really isn't a big statement.

• Like 1

Titans GM Jon Robinson said the organization will "do everything we can" to keep impending free agent Derrick Henry.

"We're going to work through that one and do everything we can to try and keep him around," Robinson said. With Ryan Tannehill simultaneously hitting the open market, it sounds as if the organization is more than willing to negotiate a lucrative extension with Henry all the while playing it safe (perhaps leading to the franchise tag) with their 31-year-old quarterback. Henry recently stated Ezekiel Elliott's six-year, $90 million contract is "the floor" for what he and his agent are seeking, at the very least making his deal an interesting case study for future negotiations.

SOURCE: Erik Bacharach on Twitter

Feb 25, 2020, 11:38 AM ET