What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Derrick Henry, BAL (3 Viewers)

I’m not sure about his numbers this year, but his dynasty value had been a bit in flux the last couple months over the uncertainty of his contract. Big time stabilizer there in my opinion. 
I don't own him anywhere but I was more worried about him breaking down soon because of all the carries than his contract.

I don't own him anywhere but I was more worried about him breaking down soon because of all the carries than his contract.
He barely played his first two seasons. I know he had a lot of HS and college carries but that was easymode for him, and he's been extremely healthy. Waldman (or was it Harstad) has done a lot of research showing that for an elite RB, large workloads are just a sign of more large workloads to come, and aren't a detriment. The best RBs string together a bunch of high workload seasons and keep doing it until they're too old, injured, or their skills deteriorate. There's no magic number and nothing inherently bad about large workloads if the player is elite. 

Staying behind this OL and having a team who knows how to utilize him committed to justifying his contract is a great situation and takes all the guesswork out of his future, for a while. Definitely a positive.

I’m not sure about his numbers this year, but his dynasty value had been a bit in flux the last couple months over the uncertainty of his contract. Big time stabilizer there in my opinion. 
Definitely good for dynasty.  Sorry, I should have clarified redraft.

Is it more the

"he's happy now and will run hard", "They will use him lots to justify the investment"

or the

"he doesn't have to prove anything so won't run as hard", "they have him for 4 years and won't run him into the ground as much"

ESPN's Dan Graziano reports the NFL salary cap "could drop by up to $70 million" in 2021 due to reduced revenues stemming from the coronavirus
There's a plethora of RBs available next offseason. A bunch of them IMO are gonna wish they did what Henry did and got something done.

He's very well educated and not in a common situation. He's spent time with a lot of famous RBs ever since HS. They want to meet the kid that broke their record and he picks their brain etc. Besides all that (and the list is woah!) he has become very close with Eddie George and spent hours with Earl Campbell where he's now become something of an advisor to him.

He's an adonis with his own trainer and nutritionist.

If ya follow him on social media, you'll see "getting that rest" "working on legs but not arms today" "kale(can't recall some food) is key to recovery" and a pic of a shake  I remember him using that massage thing on his hammy and a slew of questions like are you injured, no ya gotta loosen it up after leg day.

If you just sorta follow and observe it's "wow, you've been taught well."

His first RB coach in the NFL was Barry's old coach and people like to point that out too but it almost takes away by not pointing out that he's been fortunate to have so many legends advise him. 

Why is ADP still playing? Why did Gore last a million years? How did George get 1000 so many years? Why did Campbell break down and others didn't?  I get why people would wonder this, absolutely, but at this point it's like you're naming guys that took the time to meet with Henry and he learned from them.

Last year was a video call with OJ Simpson and I forget how Jim Brown and he spoke.

Derrick is what never happens but we always act like it does. It's kind of funny that way. The best peewee player, high school player, college player, doesn't usually wind up the best at his position in the NFL.

He's got awesome stories, an incredible amount of collectibles from legends, and just the right amount of humble pie on top of him enjoying his success. 

This was a fair deal to both Titans and Henry and solidies Henry's dynasty value.

Titans lock up a key player around whom the offense is built but they can get rid of him in two years if he doesn't perform.

Henry gets security of knowing he will make at least 25 M over next two years and more if he stays productive and healthy plus he gets to enjoy the continuity of being on a team that knows how to use him well.

Dynasty owners now know that as long as Henry is healthy his high usage will continue.

Hope I’m not jinxing anything, but it seems like he could be one of those guys whose age curve looks a little different than normal just because for a “power back” he doesn’t seem to take big hits that much. Which makes sense, because flying in and blasting him high up is a losing proposition for a lot of guys most often in a position on the field to do so.

He could be at higher risk for a leg injury In a given season from guys diving at his legs more often, but I’m not sure he is on the same timeline for general breakdown due to aggregate pounding.

EthnicFury said:
Hope I’m not jinxing anything, but it seems like he could be one of those guys whose age curve looks a little different than normal just because for a “power back” he doesn’t seem to take big hits that much. Which makes sense, because flying in and blasting him high up is a losing proposition for a lot of guys most often in a position on the field to do so.

He could be at higher risk for a leg injury In a given season from guys diving at his legs more often, but I’m not sure he is on the same timeline for general breakdown due to aggregate pounding.
The other side of that coin is that he could lose a step and still be very productive. So he's not one of those guys that's going to fall off a cliff as soon as he slightly slows down.

I think it's overstated.

His rookie season, he had 110 carries.  His 2nd season 176.  2018 he had 215.  This is the 1st season he broke 300 carries.  Dion Lewis was coming in on 3rd downs often the last 2 seasons.  He's not taking a lot of those pass protection hits from LB's.  Lastly, he often delivers more punishment than he takes. He's often the guy slamming into the defender and getting dragged down through the collison.  

If they keep using him like they did in 2019, he'll start to wear down.  But he's a ferarri, and 2019 was the first time they really took him out of the garage.  

These kinds of articles make no sense to me.  " Henry had his best season in the NFL in 2019, rushing for 1540 yards and 16 touchdowns on 303 carries. He averaged 20.2 rushing attempts per game and averaged an incredible 5.1 yards per attempt.". 

What has he done to make anyone believe he wlll be outside the top 5?
I guess if you think that was his career year and that he will regress to the mean then you might downgrade him.  Some might think that his carries will go down and that the team will try to have a more balanced pass-rush offense.  Personally, I don't think they go away from the run much if any because they had success and I don't see anyone else taking carries. If anything I except him to be used a bit more in the passing game.

I was offered CMC in dynasty PPR for my Henry & D. Hopkins or Dalvin Cook & Hopkins. I passed.
Why did you reject? I have Henry and Cook and I think I would have taken either offer. I love Henry and Cook but Henry is middle aged for a RB and doesn't catch much and Cook has had injury issues so I would see that a good deal. Hopkins is nice but I don't see him as a guy who will a consistent top ten WR. 

I think he’ll do well again, but why wouldn’t every team stack the box to stop him? Make Tannehill beat you, which he might but still. 

Ryan Tannehill said Derrick Henry is "catching the ball more confidently."

It's the last piece of the puzzle for Henry who has been held to 18 or fewer receptions in all four seasons in the NFL. With the Titans handing Henry a four-year, $50 million contract this offseason, they'd be wise to move a few of his carries into targets if only to keep the offense a tad more balanced when he's on the field. Defensive backs certainly aren't looking forward to any one-on-one situations with Henry in the flats on a screen. Henry isn't likely to repeat his 303-1,540-16 rushing line from last year, but he can still return rock-solid RB1 value even with moderate negative regression, particularly so if he's more involved as a receiver. Henry is being drafted anywhere from fifth to ninth overall in all fantasy formats.

SOURCE: Michael Giardi on Twitter

Aug 25, 2020, 5:53 PM ET

I lack confidence in the D moreso with everyday and this makes me wonder about Henry in FF.
Why? The only real loss was Casey. Ryan is offset(and then some) by Joseph and Fulton. Add in a fully healthy Jeffrey Simmons and another rusher(albeit an overrated one) in Vic Beasley and I'm seeing a defense that moved sideways more than anything, with top-10 upside if some young guys(Simmons, Landry, Evans, Fulton) step up.

Also, might mean nothing, but Henry had his 2nd best game against KC last year, and that was his only game the Titans game up 30+ points in.

Why? The only real loss was Casey. Ryan is offset(and then some) by Joseph and Fulton. Add in a fully healthy Jeffrey Simmons and another rusher(albeit an overrated one) in Vic Beasley and I'm seeing a defense that moved sideways more than anything, with top-10 upside if some young guys(Simmons, Landry, Evans, Fulton) step up.

Also, might mean nothing, but Henry had his 2nd best game against KC last year, and that was his only game the Titans game up 30+ points in.
Casey was a human roadblock that always had at least 2 linemen on him. HOF caliber, team HOF....whatever, just big loss. Simmons is an unknown but yeah I get his promise and potential but people are talking like Simmons-->Casey is a wash. They were both there last year. They lost a stud DL and replaced him with Crawford who is a 4-3 DE. They play nickel a lot so he'd be fine there but he's not the beefy 3-4 DE that they need.

Beasley hasn't done squat and wants to be a minister and he's a speed rusher weak against the run- like Landry.

Finch is on the Raiders

Ryan was their top CB who regularly covered the top WR. They can say he lost a step or his time had come or...but it's like people are ignoring that they chose him over Butler and Adoree more often than not last year with the top assignments.

Fulton has not looked good.

Depth CBs have been playing like depth CBs- make a play, get burned, over n over. They had 5 CBs with starting experience last year.

Simmons and Adoree must be the stars they were drafted to be or else....big difference. The Titans have been a top 10 D sometimes top 5 many times throughout the last few years. They'd crumble in week whatever and the final stats wouldn't show it, but if you were a week to week follower you'd know they were stout. Last year, the D kept them in several games while the offense learned under Smith. I do think something clicked with Smith and the O will be good but I don't think this D can bail him out if he's got more learning to do. 

The Titans followed a very predictable pattern last year- run a lot of Henry in the first, Lewis to start the second with Henry maybe not getting carries, Henry beasted in the third, with Tannehill rocking in the 4th Q. To reword that, they were poor in the first halves of games. I think it was like week 16 til they scored an opening drive TD or first Q TD or....I forget now. The second halves were brilliant but the first half was tolerable because the D kept it close enough. What happens if they can't?

Henry had 669 yards in the third Q and around 300 in the other Qs. They were banking on him smashing a D after half time. What if the score is 21-3?

Tannehill had 234 attempts when they were tied or behind, only 52 when they were ahead. 

It does lend to some concern

Training Camp Buzz: Titans RB Derrick Henry, the dual threat?

Excerpt:

After proving his dominance on the ground in 2019, reigning NFL rushing champion Derrick Henry is working to become more dangerous in another area of his game. Per the Titans' pool report, Henry spent an extensive amount of time Sunday working on pass catching with RB coach Tony Dews. The report mentioned that Henry focused on over-the-shoulder catches and finding the football right after making his break. He also ran a couple routes against linebackers in the red zone and won each time. NFL Network's Mike Giardi reported Ryan Tannehill noted that Henry is "catching the ball more confidently" and he thinks having to account for Henry as a receiver will help the offense be more diverse. Henry tallied 18 catches for 206 yards and two touchdowns last season.

Derrick Henry rushed 31 times for 116 yards in the Titans' Week 1 win over the Broncos Monday night.

With rookie Darrynton Evans injured, Henry handled all 31 running back carries for the Titans and caught all three of his targets for 15 yards. Last year's leading rusher was able to pick up right where he left off despite the lack of efficiency, as his longest run went for just 13 yards. There's really not much else to say about Henry; we know what to expect week in and week out. He's the focal point of the Titans' run-first offense. Henry gets a date with the Jaguars in Week 2, a team he has historically dominated for huge games.

Sep 15, 2020, 2:02 AM ET

Henry seems to get up for the Jaguars and it seems like since the NFL standard is small speedy LBs, the Jags aren't changing for the sake of two games each year. 

IDK why but the big fella's got a bounce in these games, I'll be all over him in DFS

Derrick Henry rushed 25 times for 84 yards in Week 2 against Jacksonville. 

It was a rough game for Henry, who failed to catch both of his targets. The Titans never got Henry going in the first half, but he was able to pick up some yards in clocking-killing mode in the fourth quarter. Henry has had massive workloads to open the season, with 56 carries through two weeks. Look for Tennessee to stay run heavy if A.J. Brown (knee) can't return in Week 3.

- Rotoworld
Down game for Henry.

He is getting volume but losses to the OL are hurting and teams are selling out to stop him. He will eventually get his.  It isn't anything about how he is running.

Derrick Henry rushed 26 times for 119 yards and two touchdowns in the Titans' Week 3 win over the Vikings.

He caught 2-of-3 targets for 11 yards in the passing game. The two scores were his first two of the young season after being held out of the end zone against the Broncos and Jaguars. Both of Henry's touchdown runs were from one yard out in the third quarter when the Titans put 16 points on the board. Henry has 319 yards on the ground through three weeks but gets a real tough draw against the Steelers in Week 4. Still, Henry has such a commanding share of the Titans' carry share that he's a weekly top-five RB1.

Sep 27, 2020, 4:20 PM ET

With a lot of Titans getting COVID, what are you guys doing with Henry this week?

I haven't heard any reports about Henry specifically but there's definitely some risk having him in your line-up, right?

With a lot of Titans getting COVID, what are you guys doing with Henry this week?

I haven't heard any reports about Henry specifically but there's definitely some risk having him in your line-up, right?
There's risk of course, but you don't bench Henry (in the vast majority of leagues, unless you're incredibly stacked)

Pretty sure that decision is going to be made for us. I’d be surprised if they played at this point. 

Pretty sure that decision is going to be made for us. I’d be surprised if they played at this point. 
That's the thing....someone could have a decent alternative playing in tonight's game like Ronald Jones.  This covid messing with games isn't fun.

That's the thing....someone could have a decent alternative playing in tonight's game like Ronald Jones.  This covid messing with games isn't fun.
That's a fair point. I don't know if I start Jones over the chance that Henry plays, but if you don't have a halfway decent 3rd option it would probably be the smart play. 

That's a fair point. I don't know if I start Jones over the chance that Henry plays, but if you don't have a halfway decent 3rd option it would probably be the smart play. 
I'd start Jones. I'm shocked anyone has Henry in their lineup. I've moved on. I'd put it at 0.005% chance Titans play this week. 

They're already talking about moving the game till Monday or Tuesday. The NFL isn't changing their stripes. They are determined to play games. Hell, last week NE turned up positive and only cleared right before the weekend and got in the game. Nobody should underestimate the NFL here.

All that said, I could see TN being a total disaster either Monday or Tuesday night not having done diddly for two weeks and being minus all kinds of offensive weapons/players. 

I'm the comish in my league and while we've instituted a "name an alternative" policy, I'm starting to wonder if I just stick with alternatives regardless (such as Mostert, L. Bell).

The NFL isn't changing their stripes. They are determined to play games. Hell, last week NE turned up positive and only cleared right before the weekend and got in the game. Nobody should underestimate the NFL here.
While i agree that the game likely gets played this week, i do not believe we are at the point where the NFL has established stripes on the issue. 

Remember that the NFL has already also cancelled a game and reshuffled the schedule once involving the Titans.

While i agree that the game likely gets played this week, i do not believe we are at the point where the NFL has established stripes on the issue. 

Remember that the NFL has already also cancelled a game and reshuffled the schedule once involving the Titans.
Where the NFL *has* established stripes is in tar and feathering players/teams to make examples. There is a lengthly history of this. So if they truly feel (or want to make it look like they feel) that TEN made egregious violations of CV policy, then some kind of epic smackdown of a forfeited game would not surprise anyone. That's more on brand for the NFL than putting player health in jeopardy for money (which is already itself pretty on brand).

So my situation is I would normally start Henry and Connor at RB, and flex Dionte Johnson.  Now, because of the uncertainty, I'm going to start Connor and Montgomery (Thurs game) at RB, which means if the Titans do play, I'll flex Henry vs. Johnson.  Not ideal, but not horrible.  

I honestly think they'll play if at all possible though.  This whole thing is a real S-show.  There are a lot of worms they open if they make the Titans forefit

• The Bills (and Titans) players won't get paid for the game per revised COVID rules:  “If any games are canceled (and not later played) during the 2020 season once the regular season has begun, Clubs will not be obligated to pay the salary protected by applicable 2020 Guaranteed Salary during the 2020 season that would have covered salary for any cancelled games, provided that the foregoing does not apply to any salary guarantee, signing bonus, roster bonus, or reporting bonus earned but not paid prior to cancellation.”
  • The Steelers would also have some pretty solid grounds to ask for a forfeit from their game last weekend - and the same issue would hold.  
  • The only other thing they could do is delay the playoffs and play the game in week 18 - which, while not the NFL's concern, really screws up fantasy.
I think they play this week, and make an announcement that any team violating rules again will forfeit.  They'll make an example without making an example.

Just my 2 cents...

Users who are viewing this thread