What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best of the old standard Memorial Day WWII movies (1 Viewer)

Best movies from these Memorial Day weekend showings?

• Battle of the Bulge

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • The Big Red One

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • The Dirty Dozen

Votes: 29 30.5%
  • The Great Escape

Votes: 29 30.5%
  • The Guns of Navarone

Votes: 12 12.6%
  • Kelly's Heroes

Votes: 23 24.2%
  • The Longest Day

Votes: 19 20.0%
  • Midway

Votes: 12 12.6%
  • Patton

Votes: 30 31.6%
  • Sands of Iwo Jima

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Stalag 17

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Tora Tora Tora

Votes: 14 14.7%

• Total voters

GregR

Footballguy
I love the older World War 2 movies that get shown on Memorial Day weekend, and have to resist the urge to spend it camped out in front of the idiot box watching them all.

Limiting the poll to a group of movies mostly from the 60s and 70s with an American focus that I think of as Memorial Day standards. Not meant to be an all inclusive list of every great WW2 movie.

ETA: You can vote for more than one. I have a hard time choosing between The Dirty Dozen, The Great Escape, Patton and Kelly's Heroes, though I'd probably say Kelly's Heroes if forced to just one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guns of Navarone, but only because Where Eagles Dare and Bridge Over River Kwai didn't make the cut.

Had Where Eagles Dare in the poll when I was first coming up with the list but replaced it with Guns of Navarone. Probably should have replaced Sands of Iwo Jima instead.

Just finished watching Kelly's Heroes. I have a question about the scene where Oddball and his Sherman's come out of the train tunnel. How much slave labor did they gun down?

The Dirty Dozen and Kelly's Heroes are my two favorites but most of that list is good stuff. Not a movie but I might have to watch some of Band of Brothers this weekend. That series is IMO the best available related to WWII. <SALUTE>

Was Das Boot World War II?  Great movie.  Great Escape is my favorite.
Fantastic movie, yes WWII.  Though don't think I've ever noticed it around Memorial Day. I guess because it's told from the German side.

Friend who served on subs said it's the best movie for getting a feel for what they are really like.

Turner Class Movies has a lineup Monday starting at 11am central of Kelly's Heroes, Where Eagles Dare, The Dirty Dozen

Users who are viewing this thread