What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Amazon Prime Video "Watch Instantly" Gems: FBG's Recommend (1 Viewer)

mquinnjr

Footballguy
I saw the Netflix thread bumped, and having just signed up for Amazon Prime, I feel like this thread has a place in the FFA as well for those of us with Amazon Prime to discuss the video selection.

TV selection looks pretty solid, especially with HBO shows/seasons 3+ years old released onto the service. Movies are lacking, but that seems to be the case with all of the subscription instant video services.

Just rolled through two seasons of Suits over the weekend, never got into it and liking it personally. Put onto my Watchlist a few shows I've seen before or want to get back into, such as Louie, Catfish, Archer, and Banshee. Very interested in Bosch, which is an original series for Amazon and looks like a police drama I can see myself getting into.

Whatcha got?

My kids watch the creative galaxy. Pretty decent kids show about art and imagination that isn't nauseating.

Downloaded the latest iteration of Robocop for my flight tomorrow from AP.

We'll see how it goes.

Also - :blackdot:

Bone Tomahawk, now available on Amazon Prime Video.

Real solid Western with a twist. Great cast with Kurt Russell, Richard Jenkins, Patrick Wilson and Mathew Fox.

Enjoyed this a lot 3.5/5 stars.

I enjoyed Strike Back and Banshee, two Showtime series on Amazon Prime. Bosch was pretty good, but as stated above, nothing particularly memorable. I've read a number of the Bosch books, so a video version was interesting. I've got The Man in the High Castle in my queue, and watched the pilot for Mad Dogs and may give that a shot. I watched the first couple of episodes of Catastrophe....pretty funny show so far.

Overall, Amazon Prime is a nice supplement for Netflix.

Amazon purchases rights to a bunch of MGM releases from the 80s and 90s. Most titles have been in regular rotation for cable for years but Miami Blues, Married to the Mob and Kill Me Again are decent if you haven't seen them before. The MGM package also includes some vintage spaghetti western and blaxploitation movies if you want something different.

On the other end of the lowbrow/highbrow spectrum is BBC/PBS series Wolf Hall that is another retelling of the Henry VIII/Anne Boleyn saga. It stars the great Mark Rylance as Thomas Cromwell.

I liked Deli Man documentary and watching the Yardbirds doc now and liking it.

ETA: Seems like Christopher Guest styled his Nigel Tufnel character after Jeff Beck ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Never watched Justified, 5 seasons are on Amazon. I've binge watched 2.5 seasons in 4 days.

I enjoyed Strike Back and Banshee, two Showtime series on Amazon Prime. Bosch was pretty good, but as stated above, nothing particularly memorable. I've read a number of the Bosch books, so a video version was interesting. I've got The Man in the High Castle in my queue, and watched the pilot for Mad Dogs and may give that a shot. I watched the first couple of episodes of Catastrophe....pretty funny show so far.

Overall, Amazon Prime is a nice supplement for Netflix.
I Liked Bosch, it was renewed for Season 2, I think that season 2 drops on Prime in March. I liked the slow burn of the show, and I liked Titus in the lead.

YMMV, but I recall that Amazon tends to get BBC series/seasons faster than Netflix and has had some exclusive deals like Orphan Black for a while (think its on netflixs now.) I can remember for example the prior seasons of Doctor Who streaming free on Prime a few weeks to a month earlier than Netflix.

Ex Machina, which I believe is not yet on Netflix or at least wasn't when I was looking for it. Has its plot flaws to be sure, but well worth the time, one of the more interesting movies I've seen the past year or so.

Instantwatcher has a page listing new releases on Amazon Prime. There's a lot of dreck to wade through but they're adding content at a much faster rate than Netflix. Netflix has a big release at the first of the month but only a trickle in the weeks that follow. Amazon seems to add more stuff on a regular basis.

I haven't had Netflix in a few years, and decided to pick it up to watch Narcos & MOAM. Unlike Amazon, Netflix doesn't allow the option to "download to device". The only way to watch Netflix is to stream. After googling around about it, it doesn't seem like they plan on adding the feature anytime soon.

I have watched most of the series on Amazon.

Hand of God - took a few episodes to get into, but ended up being solid

Man in the High Castle - cool concept, struck out on story

Red Oaks - is pretty funny.

Bosch - meh, it was alright

Mad Dogs - I enjoyed this one

Mozart in the Jungle - pretty good, the Maestro is hilarious.

Banshe- pretty cool action packed

Ex-Machina - I liked this. Unique story.

The Americas - season 1 was worth a watch, haven't watched season 2

Vikings - season 1 was cool, but it tails off.

Rome- I enjoyed both seasons

Boardwalk Empire - watched on HBO when it came out, I liked it, but it was no Sopranos

Strike Back - entertaining

Band of Brothers - awesome

The Gambler - worth a watch

Just noticed they recently got 1408. Always loved this flick, but I have a mancrush on John Cusack, so go figure.

My kids love Gortimer Gibbons, pretty good and aimed towards upper elementary lower middle school aged kids.

I've been watching The Wire and The Man in the High Castle.

My kids love Gortimer Gibbons, pretty good and aimed towards upper elementary lower middle school aged kids.

I have been impressed with their kids shows. My kid likes Tumble Leaf & Creative Galaxy. A little young for Gortimer Gibbons.

I have been impressed with their kids shows. My kid likes Tumble Leaf & Creative Galaxy. A little young for Gortimer Gibbons.
:blackdot:

hadn't thought about Amazon for the kids... will look into this for my 8 and 4yos.

Yeah my 4YO is mother####ing ALL IN on Tumble Leaf. Like, to an unhealthy level. theres only about 20 eps and I think he's seen them all 3x at least.

The CGI & colors on tumble leaf are done really well. It's like watching a work of art.

anything's gotta be better than the disneycollector bs the 4yo watches on youtube.

ok, now we're going to open a shopkin. hfs- I can't freaking wait.

Thanks for pointing this out. My kids started watching Gortimer Gibbons and they really enjoy it.

Watched the pilot for the The Tick.  Never watched the old shows but the new one on Amazon has promise.  Something I can watch with the kids.

I've been enjoying The Kettering Incident. fans of x-files, wtf is going on mystery types of things set in stunning location (tazmania) should check it out. definitely worth the watch, even if a lot of what's happened so far are locals who clearly know more than they're letting on dropping crazy hints to the lead, who then just walks away instead of saying "wtf?!- wait a sec... explain that more please". first 4 episodes were up and down, but mostly good- just watched the 5th episode last night (out of 8)... lots of crazy (in a good way) stuff going on. the lead was the gf in the Night Manager on AMC.

Users who are viewing this thread