What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TSA: 95% failure rate (1 Viewer)

Rayderr

Footballguy
Yet another reason to shut it down.

Washington (CNN)

Airport screeners failed to detect explosives and weapons in nearly every test that an undercover Homeland Security team conducted at dozens of airports, according to an internal investigation.
The Transportation Security Administration found that "red teams" with the Department of Homeland Security's Office of the Inspector General were able to get banned items through the screening process in 67 out of 70 tests -- 95% -- it conducted across the nation.

The test results were first reported by ABC News, and government officials confirmed them to CNN.

Homeland Security's report on the tests is set to be issued later this summer and is still being written.

A Homeland Security spokesperson said that "the numbers in these reports never look good out of context, but they are a critical element in the continual evolution of our aviation security."

Rep. Jason Chaffetz, chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, called the 95% failure rate "deeply alarming."

"Over the past six years, we have seen TSA consume an enormous amount of government resources, but I'm not convinced we have much to show for it," he said in a statement. "After spending over $540 million on baggage screening equipment and millions more on training, the failure rate today is higher than it was in 2007. Something is not working."

"I have long been a proponent of using low-tech bomb-sniffing dogs to detect weapons and explosives," he said. "Government needs to recognize that the most effective solution is not always the most expensive one."

The spokesperson said Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson directed TSA to take "a series of actions, several of which are now in place," to address the issues the red team tests identified -- but didn't identify what those actions are.

"Today, all air travelers are subject to a robust security system that employs multiple layers of protection, both seen and unseen, including: intelligence gathering and analysis, cross-checking passenger manifests against watchlists, screening at checkpoints, random canine team screening at airports, reinforced cockpit doors, Federal Air Marshals, armed pilots and a vigilant public," the spokesperson said.

"In combination, these layers provide enhanced security creating a much stronger and protected transportation system for the traveling public."

Of all the monumental wastes that our government partakes in, this might be the biggest one.

I'm not sure how you can continue a program that has such an abysmal failure rate. If ANY business tried to carry through with a 5% success rate, it would be terminated immediately.

Most of the TSA folks I encounter seem about as sharp as your average fast food worker but with less of a work ethic. I'm surprised they were able to be successful 5% of the time.

Try to take some shampoo through though and they're always all over that.
Reassuring to know that if I just put the shampoo in a bottle strapped to my chest hidden in a container that looks like homemade explosives that I'll have no problems. :mellow:

A Homeland Security spokesperson said that "the numbers in these reports never look good out of context, but they are a critical element in the continual evolution of our aviation security."
Pray tell, in what context does a 95% failure rate look good?

Pray tell, in what context does a 95% failure rate look good?
I'm a glass is 5% full kinda of a guy.

Coming back from the Philippines two months ago, and I had a run in with the TSA.

Sitting in Tokyo during my layover, and I realize I forget where my seat is on the plane(it's been 2 months at this point since I bought the tickets). I thought maybe I could change it to an aisle seat if it weren't. I walked up to the counter, and asked if they could look that up for me, which they did. Aisle seat, awesome! I then ask how much it would be to upgrade to 1st class(I was curious, and wanted to know if it was worth it since it was a 14 hour flight). Her response to me was:

"Oh, very expensive! By the way, you have been randomly selected by the TSA for a security screening! Please go get your carry on bags, and come back to the counter". :confused: :shock: :wall:

I go get my bags, and go to the counter. The lady motions me over to the side, where a tall Japanese security guard is waiting. He motions me to a back room, and communicates with me thru written instructions and hand motions. I'm guessing he didn't speak english. He pats me down, and swipes the palms of my hands with some cloth that resembled a very large band aid. He also does this to the handles of my luggage. He takes that cloth and puts it into a box, and holds up a sign that says I am free to go.

Weird all around.

Do it the Israel way. Profile the crap out of people and get really good at reading body language and "tells" during questioning.

Well it seems to me the best thing to do after learning this information is publish it for the whole terrorist world to see.

Baloney Sandwich said:
Most of the TSA folks I encounter seem about as sharp as your average fast food worker but with less of a work ethic. I'm surprised they were able to be successful 5% of the time.
That's essentially what they are. Salary isn't much better either.

I've been carrying through huge medical devices whose sole purpose is to pierce/cut human flesh through for years.

Only time they stopped me was an old woman TSA officer that decided to hold up my model uterus like a kaleidoscope and nearly fainted when I explained what it was.

I had a bunch of pals down from boston over the winter. Dialed a freind who was able to procure some MJ. It all got rolled up and one of my pals put one in his computer bag and forgot about it. Right through TSA no problem.

I had a bunch of pals down from boston over the winter. Dialed a freind who was able to procure some MJ. It all got rolled up and one of my pals put one in his computer bag and forgot about it. Right through TSA no problem.
Um, how do you think they would catch weed at the gate? Your pal would be in jail right now had one of those dhs drug dogs would have happened upon him. Now that would have been a story for the next reunion.

Um, how do you think they would catch weed at the gate? Your pal would be in jail right now had one of those dhs drug dogs would have happened upon him. Now that would have been a story for the next reunion.
Oh yeah. Do not pass go do not collect $200.

Been telling you guys for years it's nothing but theater. The system has more holes than a wheel of swiss cheese. And it all starts with the ground crew.

Several years after 9/11, a TSA employee allowed me to enter the main terminal of a large airport in California.

Big deal, right?

TSA: Does your case contain firearms?

Me: Yes.

TSA: OK

True story, I'm tellin' ya!

Hastur said:
Coming back from the Philippines two months ago, and I had a run in with the TSA.

Sitting in Tokyo during my layover, and I realize I forget where my seat is on the plane(it's been 2 months at this point since I bought the tickets). I thought maybe I could change it to an aisle seat if it weren't. I walked up to the counter, and asked if they could look that up for me, which they did. Aisle seat, awesome! I then ask how much it would be to upgrade to 1st class(I was curious, and wanted to know if it was worth it since it was a 14 hour flight). Her response to me was:

"Oh, very expensive! By the way, you have been randomly selected by the TSA for a security screening! Please go get your carry on bags, and come back to the counter". :confused: :shock: :wall:

I go get my bags, and go to the counter. The lady motions me over to the side, where a tall Japanese security guard is waiting. He motions me to a back room, and communicates with me thru written instructions and hand motions. I'm guessing he didn't speak english. He pats me down, and swipes the palms of my hands with some cloth that resembled a very large band aid. He also does this to the handles of my luggage. He takes that cloth and puts it into a box, and holds up a sign that says I am free to go.

Weird all around.
They took your DNA and made a sex slave clone.

Hastur said:

Weird all around.
They took your DNA and made a sex slave clone.
Besides the fact that you're likeness is probably a top 10 sex doll in Tokyo now, what you were selected for at random is a bomb test for residue on you or your belongings. I've been picked a few times for it, quick test and you're on your way.

Several years after 9/11, a TSA employee allowed me to enter the main terminal of a large airport in California.

Big deal, right?

TSA: Does your case contain firearms?

Me: Yes.

TSA: OK

True story, I'm tellin' ya!
If you were a terrorist, you would have said no and been searched . TSA security works!

Baloney Sandwich said:
Per usajobs.gov, they make $31k-$44.5k per year. That's $18.45-21.40 per year. If that's what fast food workers are making, then why are they demanding $20 an hour?

Baloney Sandwich said:
Per usajobs.gov, they make $31k-$44.5k per year. That's $18.45-21.40 per year. If that's what fast food workers are making, then why are they demanding $20 an hour?
Nevertheless that's a pretty ####ty salary and I'm not surprised they're doing a pretty ####ty job.

Baloney Sandwich said:
Nevertheless that's a pretty ####ty salary and I'm not surprised they're doing a pretty ####ty job.
I've been job hunting for a while since the Feds are getting rid of my job. I've come across several jobs that require degrees, technical certifications and/or 5+ years of experience that pay less than that. Just because you've adjusted to life with a higher salary does not mean the salaries for a TSA officer are bad. In fact, they're pretty much right about at the median salary in the US.

Baloney Sandwich said:
I've been job hunting for a while since the Feds are getting rid of my job. I've come across several jobs that require degrees, technical certifications and/or 5+ years of experience that pay less than that. Just because you've adjusted to life with a higher salary does not mean the salaries for a TSA officer are bad. In fact, they're pretty much right about at the median salary in the US.
The money goes up pretty quickly as well as long as you dont go full donkey. Pretty stable.

Opportunity for advancement, etc.

mquinnjr said:
NREC34 said:
Try to take some shampoo through though and they're always all over that.
Reassuring to know that if I just put the shampoo in a bottle strapped to my chest hidden in a container that looks like homemade explosives that I'll have no problems. :mellow:
If each bottle is only 3 oz you are good.

Baloney Sandwich said:
Relative to the importance of their work, I believe it's a ####ty salary

Baloney Sandwich said:
The money goes up pretty quickly as well as long as you dont go full donkey. Pretty stable.

Opportunity for advancement, etc.
Not to mention job security - head of TSA not fired after this debacle but merely reassigned....to another division of Homeland Security!

Baloney Sandwich said:
Relative to the importance of their work, I believe it's a ####ty salary
Then think we should maybe raise the bar for the qualifications for the job? Qualifications: Have a High School Diploma or GED and Be proficient in English.

If it's so important, why are we trusting it to anybody who can successfully fill out an application?

And for comparison, average police officer salary? $48k. Private in the army? $18k-21k (they do get food and housing allowance, but still fall short of a TSA officer.) Firefighter? $43k. EMT? $31k.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always enjoyed that they have these machines that literally can see right through your clothes, but they get all bent out of shape if you don't automatically take off a zip-up sweater or sweatshirt.

I've always enjoyed that they have these machines that literally can see right through your clothes, but they get all bent out of shape if you don't automatically take off a zip-up sweater or sweatshirt.
I just hate the financial waste of their machines. they spend millions on single machines. those same millions invested in the x-ray glasses technology of the 1960's, which where sold in the back of any comic book would provide a far bigger bang for the buck. I feel any responsible administrator ought to prioritize this. Let's get those dollars working efficiently.

Users who are viewing this thread