What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Electric, corded lawn mowers....yes/no? (1 Viewer)

It may depend on the size of your lot. I grew up using one of these in a big yard and I hated it. You constantly have to fight the cord, going around trees and other obstacles is a pain at times and once done you have to rewrap 100' of cord. Gas is better.

I used one for a while. Silent. Light. Powerful. Inconvenient.

I switched to battery operated. I have a small lawn. With the relative quite of the mower I can mow at hours I would not have before for fear of disturbing the neighbors.

I don't like the idea of a corded mower. I know I'd be going to HD to replace the cord as often as I would need to go to the gas station with a regular mower!

I have a Worx battery powered mower (older version than this), have had it for a several years, and love it. I don't have a huge yard, but I can do it several times without having to recharge the battery.

had a battery one. battery died. found a corded one on Craigslist for 40 bucks.

works just fine. cord is a little annoying, but not overly so.

Have a Black and Decker electric no cord. It works pretty well. Occasionally if the grass is a bit too long or a bit damp it can get "stuck" and I need to clear out the blades. Our lot is about 5500 feet, split into different areas/levels so cable one wouldn't work for us. By the end it seems like the battery has lost a bit of oomph but have never had it run out before finishing.

It's nice not having to mess with gas but this is all I have used so can't say if I'm missing out. Gets the job done.

I have two sets of hippie neighbors. First set of hippies moved in about 4 years ago. Cut their 1/2 acre lawn using one of these for approximately 1/2 the first summer. Have since hired the same lawn service we use. Hippies #2 moved in about 2 months ago. They have cut their 1/3 acre lawn a total of 4x using a corded mower. The last time wifey was at it and looked miserable. I give them until July before they ask about our lawn service.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used corded electric on a not big lot for about 10 years or so. Didn't really mind the cord that much, but don't have many trees, etc. to deal with. My problem was the motors always seemed to die after about 3 - 5 years. Was definitely a problem when grass was a little tall and wet. Finally gave up and went to gas.

Seems like it would be a real PITA.
have you ever tried it?

I would say if your yard is bigger than 40x40 it might be a bit much, but otherwise it is pretty easy. Personally I don't mind a little exercise, rather than walking behind a self-propelled mower

I used corded electric on a not big lot for about 10 years or so. Didn't really mind the cord that much, but don't have many trees, etc. to deal with. My problem was the motors always seemed to die after about 3 - 5 years. Was definitely a problem when grass was a little tall and wet. Finally gave up and went to gas.
You serious , Clark?

I had one with a cord. My lawn was too big for it and because everything is so wet in Louisiana, I continually had trouble popping breakers with the cord going through dew-soaked grass.

I would consider a battery-powered one in the future. A lawn mower is just about the perfect use of an electric motor with a battery. No need for gas, not using it for long-duration, etc.

What are the good battery powered ones? My existing mower is on it's last legs and I like the idea of going electric but have way too many trees to even entertain a cord. Irritating enough with my weed-whacker.

Seems like it would be a real PITA.
have you ever tried it?

I would say if your yard is bigger than 40x40 it might be a bit much, but otherwise it is pretty easy. Personally I don't mind a little exercise, rather than walking behind a self-propelled mower
I mean't the cord aspect, not the walk behind aspect. I haven't used a corded mower before, but have used corded blowers, weed wackers, etc. And dealing with a cord was always a PITA to me at least.

What are the good battery powered ones? My existing mower is on it's last legs and I like the idea of going electric but have way too many trees to even entertain a cord. Irritating enough with my weed-whacker.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_srvg_3007398011_2?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Alawn+mower%2Cp_n_srvg_3007398011%3A492226011&keywords=lawn+mower&ie=UTF8&qid=1433862670&rnid=3007398011
helpful
GreenWorks one are best

Any new opinions on battery powered mowers? Looking at the EGO 21 at Home Depot. Says it has a 60-minute run time. Takes me about 45-50 minutes to do my yard with my gas-powered Honda. Will this be "cutting it" too close?

Any new opinions on battery powered mowers? Looking at the EGO 21 at Home Depot. Says it has a 60-minute run time. Takes me about 45-50 minutes to do my yard with my gas-powered Honda. Will this be "cutting it" too close?
I think my sister has the exact same one.  For a smaller lot it works fine.  I used it once at her house and was surprised by the power. With a full charge you should be OK.

I have one and it sounds like my yard is about the same size.  I never had a problem with a battery running out, I usually have above 25% left on the battery when I'm done.  .  It works really well for me and the battery charges really fast.  

My electric mower works ok, no cord just battery. I would recommend for smaller lawns.

Electric hedge trimmer on the other hand is totally worthless, may as well be using some left handed scissors.

Hell no.  I bought an corded trimmer....what a waste.  Battery maybe, but batteries die and you have to remember to charge them.

Moved into a new house a few months ago and the lawn is pretty small in front and back.  Wife just wanted to weed wack the whole thing.  I was on the fence.  My next door neighbor came over yesterday while she was weed wacking and pretty much forced us to use his electric mower.  Really made my wife angry, but it wasn't terrible because we have outlets in pretty good places, but keeping track of the cord so as not to run over it and occasionally pulling it out are pretty annoying.  Though getting/dealing with gas is not fun either.

bottom line: don't have a lawn.

Moved into a new house a few months ago and the lawn is pretty small in front and back.  Wife just wanted to weed wack the whole thing.  I was on the fence.  My next door neighbor came over yesterday while she was weed wacking and pretty much forced us to use his electric mower.  Really made my wife angry, but it wasn't terrible because we have outlets in pretty good places, but keeping track of the cord so as not to run over it and occasionally pulling it out are pretty annoying.  Though getting/dealing with gas is not fun either.

Had a townhouse with a very small front/back lawn. We lived there for 3 years. I must have went through at least one extension cord a year because of running it over with the lawn mower.

Sounds like a great way to get electrocuted

I really can't believe people were considering a mower with a cord. 

As I mentioned above, I have a Worx mower, battery-powered. The cord is only used to charge the battery, I think it's a bit lighter and a bit quieter than a gas-powered. I will have had it for 7 years this summer, and I have only had to replace the battery once (got it from Worx, can't remember what the price was, but I don't remember it being that huge)

I have a smaller lawn also. If you are going to do electric, go with battery. All you have to do is plug it in, I have been able to mow my lawn several times on each charge.

:2cents:

As I mentioned above, I have a Worx mower, battery-powered. The cord is only used to charge the battery, I think it's a bit lighter and a bit quieter than a gas-powered. I will have had it for 7 years this summer, and I have only had to replace the battery once (got it from Worx, can't remember what the price was, but I don't remember it being that huge)

I have a smaller lawn also. If you are going to do electric, go with battery. All you have to do is plug it in, I have been able to mow my lawn several times on each charge.

:2cents:
That's cool.  I wasn't responding to you though.  The topic was talking about electric corded mowers.  They are dumb

Go buy the EGO mower.  I think Home Depot is an investor, because somehow they have exclusive distribution rights.  At least for 1/2 acre lots, this thing is AMAZEBALLS.  Charges in under 30 minutes, stores all folded up standing on it's side, super easy for a kid (or your wife) to use, bags, etc.   Nothing but good things to say about this thing.

(just bought the trimmer this year, hope like hell it works just as good)

Users who are viewing this thread