What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are you a Costco member? What do you buy for your household? (1 Viewer)

Paper products is a must there (toilet, napkin, tissue, plate, etc)

Dog food

Baby wipes

From there I usually scan what is on sale and what we can use/stock up on.

Everything. My favorite retailer, from the stuff they carry to their approach to business to how they treat their employees.

Good source of cheap hot lunch on the go, too. The $1.50 hot dog and soda has been mentioned. Good double-wide pizza slices for $1.99 at my local one, too.
:goodposting:

I'd rather spend an extra few bucks there then ever step foot in a Walmart. We do just about all of our shopping at Aldi, Giant Eagle, and here.
An Aldi just opened by me but I haven't been in. It seems small for a grocery store. Do they have a pretty good selection?

I should add that I've bought a lot of electronic items there. Samsung S5 phone, my landline phone, router and 3 Smart HD TVs of various sizes

Also, a Husqvarna chain saw that kicks all sorts of ###. :thumbup:

I found a Himilayan Pink Salt grinder for $4.99. It's huge(not one of those little dinky grinders). I think it's a pound.

Everything. My favorite retailer, from the stuff they carry to their approach to business to how they treat their employees.

Good source of cheap hot lunch on the go, too. The $1.50 hot dog and soda has been mentioned. Good double-wide pizza slices for $1.99 at my local one, too.

I'd rather spend an extra few bucks there then ever step foot in a Walmart. We do just about all of our shopping at Aldi, Giant Eagle, and here.
An Aldi just opened by me but I haven't been in. It seems small for a grocery store. Do they have a pretty good selection?
There is no selection. You want ketchup? They have it but you don't get to choose from size or brand. The thing about Aldi is that it is super cheap because they do everything to cut cost.... only take cash and debit card transactions, put a quarter in to get a shopping cart so they don't pay people to go get them, you bring your own bags or they charge you, you bag your own stuff, etc.

The quality of the stuff they sale ranges from equal to other stuff or much lower quality depending on what you are getting. There are some things you can go in and figure out what you are getting good value on your money and other things you are better of spending more for elsewhere and come out with a few things and not paying too much for.

There is no selection. You want ketchup? They have it but you don't get to choose from size or brand. The thing about Aldi is that it is super cheap because they do everything to cut cost.... only take cash and debit card transactions, put a quarter in to get a shopping cart so they don't pay people to go get them, you bring your own bags or they charge you, you bag your own stuff, etc.

The quality of the stuff they sale ranges from equal to other stuff or much lower quality depending on what you are getting. There are some things you can go in and figure out what you are getting good value on your money and other things you are better of spending more for elsewhere and come out with a few things and not paying too much for.
I don't want to get my groceries from zeee Germannnns.

Paper products (paper towels, TP, coffee cups, paper plates)

Bottled water

Contacts

Electronics (they occasionally have great deals...usually they don't carry the top models but they have great return policies)

Use to get the fruit but it tends to get mold quicker than the local supermarket fruit

Snack/bars

sunglasses

Hard to leave without grabbing the $1.50 hotdog+drink

Family of 6 - I drop between $500-$600 there a month. We get just about everything we can there and get the rest at Publix.

My location sells beer and wine but not liquor :cry:

Aldi has a pretty good organic section also. It's a good store.

Just got tires there :thumbup:

Usually get meat & gas there on regular basis. Will also get bottled water, cereal, BBQ sauce, salsa and bulk gum from time to time. Definitely not in the $200+ club.

Chicken, beef, deli items, milk, dog food, cereal, bread, water, condiments, fruit, diapers, gas,

(BJ's Wholesale)
Forgot so much:Trash bags, dishwasher soap, detergent, paper towels, TP, deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrushes, OTC medicine, razors, frozen food, tinfoil, sandwich bags, coffee, sugar, flour...I'm sure I'll think of more.

The rotisserie chicken they have is great.
Ridiculous value here. :thumbup:

We are another $200/trip family. We buy 95% of our groceries from Costco.

Love their big packages of chicken breasts. I grill up all 8# and cut them into strips for a variety of meals.

Huge fan of Bark Thins - dark chocolate with almonds and sea salt

Also, Costco Travel is little known gem. Great prices on rental cars and vacation packages with really dependable customer service.

If the Costco is in an upscale area, they will have about the best wine selection you'll find. And it's discounted by $1-$5 a bottle usually.

After going several rounds of negoitations on cars and my wife not pulling the trigger.... I finally just went through the Costco car buying program. You get the "supplier" pricing which is an ok discount off MSRP on top all of the other promotions and then we got a $600 Costco gift card too which overall made it a pretty decent deal with much less wear and tear.

It'll take trial and error, but once you've figured out what you like there the savings are worth it.

We get milk, cottage cheese, frozen pizza/popcorn/popsicles for the kids, and almost all of our fruits and veggies there. The produce is the main draw for us though.

ETA: don't pay for the grocery cart, they stock everything in boxes (cost cutting) so on your way in just grab one that's low in stock and put all of your loot in there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the info!

It'll take trial and error, but once you've figured out what you like there the savings are worth it.

We get milk, cottage cheese, frozen pizza/popcorn/popsicles for the kids, and almost all of our fruits and veggies there. The produce is the main draw for us though.

ETA: don't pay for the grocery cart, they stock everything in boxes (cost cutting) so on your way in just grab one that's low in stock and put all of your loot in there.
:thumbup:

Organic Whole Chicken 2-pack

Organic Chicken Breasts 3-pack

Organic Ground Beef 3-pack

Organic Milk 3-pack

Almond Milk 3-pack

Toilet Paper & Paper Towels

Victoria's (when they have it)

Kirkland coffee (works well in keurig)

Tortilla crusted talapia

Dishwasher tabs

Organic fresh Spinach

Red peppers 6-pack

That's pretty much our bi-weekly core list.

that place is ridiculous with all the stuff they have. I stopped in for ONE THING, and left with a cart full of stuff and my wallet $175 lighter.

A few staples.

1. Kirkland Coffee

2. Ground Beef

3. Blueberries

4. Almonds

5. Rotisserie Chicken- 4.95 for a whole one.

6. Scotts fertilizer- About 10 dollars a bag cheaper than anywhere

7. Muscle Milk and Muscle Pharm Protein Powder

8. Crest toothpaste

9. Gillette Shave gel

10. Most everything they give samples of.

11. Gas

12. Olive and avocado oil

13. Morton frozen pot roast.

14. Cakes for any events.

15. Mahi Mahi frozen

16. One slice of pizza on the way out!

Where's the sardines people? I live on those things for lunch.
Me too. Excellent price for high quality sardines. Recently, I've been eating Season Brand.

I don't like eating a high-carb, sleep-inducing meal meal for lunch. So, sardines and a soda fit the bill.

I usually go twice a month and can never walk out spending less than $250 each trip.

Produce and meats are the main reason I go but also stock up on TP,paper towels and various snacks and treats.

Kirkland brand seems to be pretty good as well for most things.

You talking food samples? One of my pet peeves is these stands attract so many people which causes lines that go in to the aisle and you have to muscle thru them to continue shopping. So annoying.

that place is ridiculous with all the stuff they have. I stopped in for ONE THING, and left with a cart full of stuff and my wallet $175 lighter.
There is no such thing as stopping at Costco for one thing. NO SUCH THING.
My brother lives right up the street from the Costco that is located right next to their corporate HQ. He used to stop in to get a bunch of bananas once a week. :loco:

You talking food samples? One of my pet peeves is these stands attract so many people which causes lines that go in to the aisle and you have to muscle thru them to continue shopping. So annoying.
Not long ago the Costco near me was giving away free samples of Doritos. And we aren't even talking new flavors, just Nacho Cheese and Cool Ranch. :mellow:

Not long ago the Costco near me was giving away free samples of Doritos. And we aren't even talking new flavors, just Nacho Cheese and Cool Ranch. :mellow:
How many times did you go back?

How many times did you go back?
:bag:

It is annoying. I don't understand how people don't either have the intelligence level to move out of the way or just don't care that they are jerk faces because they want their bite of free food.

I usually avoid them unless there is something I really do want to try or I have my daughter with me (because she wants to try everything). I always make sure that I am not one of those jerk faces that stand in the middle of the aisle with my cart blocking everything or one of the equally big jerk faces that just cut in front of people who have been waiting to grab something. How come there are so many jerk faces in the world anyways?

I read somewhere that on a lot of products the "Kirkland brand" stuff is actually the same stuff created by other big well-known name brands, and just re-branded for Costco.
Yea, essentially they buy wholesale and then package it with Kirkland brand and then sell it without the mark up. I can't remember one Kirkland brand item that I bought that I thought was significantly lower quality than a brand name item I would have otherwise bought.

I read somewhere that on a lot of products the "Kirkland brand" stuff is actually the same stuff created by other big well-known name brands, and just re-branded for Costco.
That is true of a lot of private label goods, not just Costco's. Sometimes there is a quality difference though.

But the quality of a lot of the Kirkland brand stuff is really good, IMO.

Then again, I am an admitted Costco fan. It's the home team for me. I went to HS with the founder/long-time CEO's daughter. I should have paid more attention to her, I guess. :kicksrock:

I live about 5 minutes from mine.. it's even closer to the grocery store.

I also buy a lot of paper products for the office there in addition to numerous grocery items.

I get a lot of the same things people have already mentioned.

Here's a few I haven't seen mentioned much:

dress shirts

tires

Rental Cars - costco travel consistently has the best prices compared to a regular online search

Vacation packages - I've traveled with costco travel 3 times and they were better than I could do booking it individually on my own.

casual t-shirts

basic vitamins and OTC drugs

condoms

Costco's 103 proof branded bourbon is an outstanding mixer for the price, same with their tequila for margaritas

Boxer shorts

socks

red bull

cereal

milk

Yea, essentially they buy wholesale and then package it with Kirkland brand and then sell it without the mark up. I can't remember one Kirkland brand item that I bought that I thought was significantly lower quality than a brand name item I would have otherwise bought.
I have used a ton of Kirkland items and I also don't remember any epic fails.

It's been mentioned in others lists before but if there is a better K-Cup deal then the 34.99/100 they sell I'm not aware of it.

YEp. $4.99 for a massive chicken that's usually nearly double the size of the crappy ones at our local Kroger. Not to mention the meat is always super tender/juicy and skin is always flavorful and not dried out.... neither of which can be said about our local kroger.

Costco also has some of the best Prime cuts available around here. I get all giddy every time we stroll through the meat section. :excited:
No joke. Quality of beef is outstanding. Even their choice stuff are well marbled and cut nice and thick. Regular Prices are generally on par with the "Super sale" prices at our local Kroger... and the quality of beef is better. When you factor in that you can actually get USDA Prime beef for about the same price as normal choice beef at the other stores around town... no brainer. Love the NY strips... the filets are good.... but my go to is to buy a 4-6lb Rib Roast and cut my own ribeyes.

The mussels are great.... their Ahi Tuna is sushi grade and VERY fairly priced.... Ribs/Shoulder are amazing and great prices.... chicken breasts cryopacked (two breasts per pack) are super convenient.... Great seafood specials too on King Crab legs and such. Always some great Scallops too.

Produce is excellent. Carton of 10 huge red tomatoes for the price of 3-4 at Kroger. Better quality too.

YEp. $4.99 for a massive chicken that's usually nearly double the size of the crappy ones at our local Kroger. Not to mention the meat is always super tender/juicy and skin is always flavorful and not dried out.... neither of which can be said about our local kroger.

Costco also has some of the best Prime cuts available around here. I get all giddy every time we stroll through the meat section. :excited:
No joke. Quality of beef is outstanding. Even their choice stuff are well marbled and cut nice and thick. Regular Prices are generally on par with the "Super sale" prices at our local Kroger... and the quality of beef is better. When you factor in that you can actually get USDA Prime beef for about the same price as normal choice beef at the other stores around town... no brainer. Love the NY strips... the filets are good.... but my go to is to buy a 4-6lb Rib Roast and cut my own ribeyes.

The mussels are great.... their Ahi Tuna is sushi grade and VERY fairly priced.... Ribs/Shoulder are amazing and great prices.... chicken breasts cryopacked (two breasts per pack) are super convenient.... Great seafood specials too on King Crab legs and such. Always some great Scallops too.

Produce is excellent. Carton of 10 huge red tomatoes for the price of 3-4 at Kroger. Better quality too.
Oh man, how can I forget the best thing about Costco????????

When it's in season,- Wild Caught Copper River salmon. :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Users who are viewing this thread