What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kevin Jones workout is today (1 Viewer)

Ypsitucky

Footballguy
from the Great Blue North Draft Report.. "And it will be another busy day on the pro day circuit today with workouts at LSU, Virginia Tech, Georgia, South Carolina, Penn State, and Colorado. Players who scouts are most anxious to see today are Virginia Tech RB Kevin Jones; 6-7, 305-pound LSU junior DE Marquise Hill, as well as Bayou Tiger WR Michael Clayton; and Georgia FS Sean Jones."The pecking order for RBs should become more established once Jones works out today. The other three players will draw strong interest as well. After seeing the numbers Sean Taylor put up in his workout, Sean Jones could boost his draft stock with a strong workout and impression for the scouts as well.If any of you VaTech fans or homers hear anything, please post them here for us all. Thanks..

After today, Jones should undoubtedly be the top back available in the draft (if he wasn't already)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am giving this a shameless bump as I rank Jones #1 on my RB board and hope he shows some receiving skills today (to go with his 4.38 40 time that I am estimating)

I tend to agree Cracker.. Jackson is getting all the pub and also had an impressive workout. I know the Lions personnel in attendance gave him extra attention. I think both players are better prospects than most draftniks considering they're mostly construed as mid-to-late 1st round picks.. I'd put my chips on both Jackson and Jones over guys who went in the same range like Duckett, William Green, etc.I'm anxious to see how Jones does.. watching him play the past few years I think he has a chance to be special - and I think he's more talented than another super-fast RB who had "questionable football skills" coming out -- Michael Bennett. They are similar, but I'd take Jones in a heartbeat as a Lions fan.. and I wouldn't be upset to have Jackson either. That said, I highly doubt that either one will go as high as #6, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Lions work hard to trade down (especially if Winslow and Taylor are off the board).

I am providing info from Chet@ND from a previous thread so when the Jones info comes in we have this to compare to:S Jackson (6-2, 231) 4.55-40 ss-4.09 3c-7.09 VJ 37.5 LJ 9-10 16 repsC Perry (5-11.75, 220) 4.56-40 SS-4.08 3C-7.02 VJ 34.5 LJ 10-4 no benchG Jones (6-1.25, 249) 4.62-4.65-40 ss-4.13 3c-7.03 VJ 38.5 LJ 9-11 23 repsOther NotablesT. Bell (5-11, 213) 4.37-40 ___________________________ VJ 38.5 25 repsM. Moore (5-10.5, 208) 4.61-40 ___________________________________R. Works (5-11.75, 216) 4.52-40 ss-4.07 3c-6.90 VJ 36 LJ 10-0 20 repsM. Turner (5-10.25, 232) ___________________________________________Q. Wilson (5-9.25, 221) 4.66-40 ss-4.34 3c-7.06 VJ 35 LJ 10-4 no bench

I'm truly surprised that there isn't more talk of Jones as a top 10 pick. He had an outstanding season last year and has ideal computer numbers. It will be interesting to see where he finally ends up.

Most of you have probably seen this link already, but just to help out those who haven't...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/analysis/individual_workouts

Gil Brandt updates this page each day with the results of the workouts from each school.

If Jones runs a sub 4.4 time.. and also shows good hands and has a "strong" workout besides just the running portion.. I can't imagine him lasting much past the middle picks (10th thru 15th)..

VT Pro Day InfoSite will be updated throughout the day. As of now:
3/18 - HIGHLIGHTS (SO FAR) OF PRO TIMING DAY!Vertical Jump: DeAngleo Hall 39", Kevin Jones 37", Jake Grove 35", so far...(more to come)Standing Broad Jump: D. Hall 10'9", V. Robinson 10'2", C. Colas 9'11", K. Jones 9'9", Jake Grove 9'9", N. Adibi 9'5", M. Crawford 9'5"Bench Press 225 lbs # reps: C. Colas 26x, D. Easlick 25x, N. Adibi 24x, K. Jones 22x, V. Robinson 19x, D. Hall 18x, E. Wilford 18x
Jake Grove 35" vert and 9'9" broad jump is pretty impressive for his size, although I don't know how this relates much to his position.

Hall: 39" and 10'9" :shock: After that 4.40 or better 40, there is no doubt he should be the #1 corner on the board. :thumbup: Man I hope he ends up a Steeler!

Info leaking to a VT message board looks like Jones did indeed run a 4.5+/-. I'm hearing that he ran about the same as DE Cols Colas. :no:

Once again emphasis goes on a 40 time. I admit as a Cowboys fan I wasn't hoping for a tremendous workout to drive his stock up. I have been hoping he fell to the Pokes. On a side note does anyone remember the 40 times of Emmitt or Curtis Martin predraft?

Once again emphasis goes on a 40 time. I admit as a Cowboys fan I wasn't hoping for a tremendous workout to drive his stock up. I have been hoping he fell to the Pokes. On a side note does anyone remember the 40 times of Emmitt or Curtis Martin predraft?
Emmitt probably ran a 4.5 and Martin was coming off an injury going int othe draft.

The problem for Kevin Jones' poor 40 times and workout is that his speed is what is supposed to separate him from the other top rbs. The knock on Jones is that he can't run between the tackles as well as most of the other backs and now his 40 times show that he isn't any faster than the other backs. There was no question marks about Emmitt's running ability between the tackles so his 40 times weren't as critical to his stock value as a speed back like Jones.

Let's put in what we've learned so far - waiting for some concrete 40-yd info...

K Jones (6-1, 217) ____________________________VJ 37 LJ 9-9 22 reps

S Jackson (6-2, 231) 4.55-40 ss-4.09 3c-7.09 VJ 37.5 LJ 9-10 16 reps

C Perry (5-11.75, 220) 4.56-40 SS-4.08 3C-7.02 VJ 34.5 LJ 10-4 no bench

G Jones (6-1.25, 249) 4.62-4.65-40 ss-4.13 3c-7.03 VJ 38.5 LJ 9-11 23 reps

Other Notables

T. Bell (5-11, 213) 4.37-40 ___________________________ VJ 38.5 25 reps

M. Moore (5-10.5, 208) 4.61-40 ___________________________________

R. Works (5-11.75, 216) 4.52-40 ss-4.07 3c-6.90 VJ 36 LJ 10-0 20 reps

M. Turner (5-10.25, 232) ___________________________________________

Q. Wilson (5-9.25, 221) 4.66-40 ss-4.34 3c-7.06 VJ 35 LJ 10-4 no bench

If the 40 time is true and 4.5+, Kevin did nothing to separate himself solely based on workouts.

The problem for Kevin Jones' poor 40 times and workout is that his speed is what is supposed to separate him from the other top rbs. The knock on Jones is that he can't run between the tackles as well as most of the other backs and now his 40 times show that he isn't any faster than the other backs. There was no question marks about Emmitt's running ability between the tackles so his 40 times weren't as critical to his stock value as a speed back like Jones.
This is all true. But if you watched any of the VTech games last year, it is pretty obvious that the guy has got some serious game speed. He was always betting teams to the corner and never to my knowledge caught form behind. I'll take the bad 40 time with a grain of salt in his case.

This is all true. But if you watched any of the VTech games last year, it is pretty obvious that the guy has got some serious game speed. He was always betting teams to the corner and never to my knowledge caught form behind. I'll take the bad 40 time with a grain of salt in his case.
I had Kevin Jones as the #1 rb in the draft and am really surprised by his disappointing 40 times. I have to agree that he plays at a much faster time than what he posted. I wouldn't be surprised if he works out again and redeems himself with some 4.4 40's.

PFT also notes Jones will likely workout again next week after todays horrible showing
He's skipping his vacation to the Bahamas in order to retest. :lol: Should've "studied" harder the first time, then enjoyed his week in the sun.

Not that the guy is going in the first round (although stranger things have happened), but is anyone else thinking Tatum Bell is racing up the boards?HERD

Not that the guy is going in the first round (although stranger things have happened), but is anyone else thinking Tatum Bell is racing up the boards?
For the life of me i have no idea why most dont think highly of T. Bell. I've seen enough OK.ST games to know this guy is the real deal!!

Not that the guy is going in the first round (although stranger things have happened), but is anyone else thinking Tatum Bell is racing up the boards?HERD
Yep...and Steven Jackson further solidifies himself as the first RB off the board without even stepping back onto the field.

For the life of me i have no idea why most dont think highly of T. Bell. I've seen enough OK.ST games to know this guy is the real deal!!
I personally like Tatum Bell a lot also.. I've seen him play and came away very impressed, but one factor that's been a negative for him was his penchant for fumbling which landed him in the doghouse with the coaching staff and even a brief period of time where he was "benched".. .. but that can be fixed. Deshaun Foster and Ahman Green both had the same problem.

Bell reminds me a little of Portis. He's got some talent, but he has GOT to get that fumbling issue under control. Early 3rd round pick, if you ask me.

I don't "dislike" Bell, I just didn't think he was terribly exceptional in the handful of times I saw him play. I had him lumped in with the 3rd tier of RBs, which wasn't a bad spot to be. However, its looking like he's getting himself into that second group, which is good for him.First Group: (Certainly will be drafted in first 35 picks) - Jones, Jackson

Second Group: (2nd rounders/high third for teams that need RB, but address other position in the 1st) - G. Jones, Perry, Bell

Third Group: (Will go on the first day, but when and where will depend on team preferences) - J. Jones Clarrett, Turner, etc....

HERD

I can't believe any team would consider drafting a RB that knocks over cones in the agility drill.

These were "regular" cones. About 8 inches high, weighing a few ounces. And one of them tackled Jones on a pass-pattern.HERD

There was always a question as to what Jones' true weight was throughout this past year as many sources had him listed in the 205 lbs - 215 lbs range.....then at the combine he shows up weighing 227 lbs. which was very unexpected by me.At first this weight was a pleasant surprise as that's the prototypical size you like to have in an NFL RB, but does anybody else think that maybe this has something to do with the disappointing times? Maybe the extra bulk resulted in him not being able to carry it as well as he thought he could which resulted in a slower 40 time, a shorter vertical leap, and less agility in some of the drills than expected. Something about these times and workout results just doesn't seem right to me, as when you watch Jones on film he is much faster and quicker than some of the other top RB's that he timed out in the same area as. (K. Jones: 4.5, S. Jackson: 4.52, C. Perry: 4.56, G. Jones: 4.62) According to these times at recent workouts all should be relatively in the same class of speed, but when you watch game film of these four it really isn't even close.Again, something about these numbers just doesn't seem right to me and the only thing I can think of is the increased weight had an effect, or he simply had an off day.

Any chance he'll slip to me at 1.10 in the rookie draft? :thumbup:
:no: That's where I pick, too. I still don't think he falls past 1.2 or 1.3 in most drafts. But, there is still some good talent to be had at 1.10.

These were "regular" cones. About 8 inches high, weighing a few ounces. And one of them tackled Jones on a pass-pattern.HERD
Those cones sound a little on the small side, but it appears as if they have a nose for the ball and play agressively. I know getting drafted is out of the question based on their size, but I can't help but wonder if they'll get invited to somebody's camp?

Well, there was one cone that swore it could play "both ways". At first, the Lions thought about trying him out as a Running Back AND a Safety......but later it was confirmed that the Cone actually meant "both ways" as in "football workout cone" and "traffic cone."Matt Millen's response was that "maybe he'll fall to us in round two in light of this news. We're keeping our fingers crossed." He then wandered into the night mumbling about "bright orange"....HERD

Those cones sound a little on the small side, but it appears as if they have a nose for the ball and play agressively. I know getting drafted is out of the question based on their size, but I can't help but wonder if they'll get invited to somebody's camp?
The Chiefs? Maybe they could win a playoff game.

As someone who traded up to get the first pick in the rookie draft, this workout is a bit troubling to me. I really expected better from Jones. It's true that the importance of 40 times is overblown, but they do have some relevance. A mid 4.5 40 simply isn't very good for a back whose biggest asset is his speed. On tape he appears fast, but you still have to be a bit worried about this.I was a bit concerned to see that Jones checked in at the combine with a body fat percentage over 10. That's a very, very pedestrian number for an elite athlete. It could very well be that he's just too heavy for his own good. I'm not a big fan of Steven Jackson and with Jones being a postseason disappointment, it once again looks like a draft without a truly elite RB prospect (McGahee was one last year, but obviously he had some injury issues).

lofl@

One person in attendance is describing the workout as "brutal." Another attendee overheard Jones' father screaming into a booty call monitor that sonny boy "#### the bed" and that "he #### himself" at the workout.

Hah, not a chance my man. My WR's are Anquan Boldin, Charles Rogers, and Chad Johnson. I'm pretty set there and I can get a good one with my second pick. I'm actually considering doing the unthinkable and taking Winslow, though a lot can happen between now and then. Anyhow, this Jones stuff appears to be even worse than I first thought. NFL.com:

Jones (5-11 5/8, 224) ran his 40s in 4.61, 4.63 and 4.65. He had a 37-inch vertical, a 9-9 long jump, 18 reps, a 4.10 short shuttle and a 7.17 three-cone drill.
Those are William Green kind of numbers, which is not a good thing. I am really surprised. I didn't expect a 4.3, but I thought for sure that Jones would crack a 4.45. This is a big disappointment and I will have to consider bumping him down in my rankings a bit.

Hall: 39" and 10'9" :shock: After that 4.40 or better 40, there is no doubt he should be the #1 corner on the board. :thumbup: Man I hope he ends up a Steeler!
More from Hall's workout:
Hall did not run the 40, standing on what he did at the combine. He did display a 10-9 long jump, a 39-inch vertical, a 3.68 short shuttle, a 6.39 three-cone drill and 15 reps. Sources at the workout also said that Hall looked great in his drills.
I'm sorry, but those footwork drill times are absolutely smoking!Me thinks the Steeler's draft board might be shuffling?

Well, there was one cone that swore it could play "both ways". At first, the Lions thought about trying him out as a Running Back AND a Safety......but later it was confirmed that the Cone actually meant "both ways" as in "football workout cone" and "traffic cone."Matt Millen's response was that "maybe he'll fall to us in round two in light of this news. We're keeping our fingers crossed." He then wandered into the night mumbling about "bright orange"....HERD
I just read an article about a construction site cone that said he wanted to switch from construction work to playing NFL football. At 18" high and weighing in at a little over 3 lbs he definitely has the size but many skeptics doubt he has the natural football skills required to make the switch.

I just read an article about a construction site cone that said he wanted to switch from construction work to playing NFL football. At 18" high and weighing in at a little over 3 lbs he definitely has the size but many skeptics doubt he has the natural football skills required to make the switch.
Nah, that's just another Vince McMahon publicity stunt! :no:

wonder how many millions Kevin Jones just cost himself with this showing.very disappointing.
I just don't buy it. Most scouts and teams have already formed an opinion on most of the prospects through game films, interviews, etc.IMHO, I don't think running a 4.5 and/or knocking over some cones in a workout is going to hurt Kevin Jones all that much.

The point of a workout like this is not to keep yourself in the eye of the scouts. They already know he's going in the 1st and will be one of the first 2 RBs off the board. For a prospect like this, a workout serves to garner interest from teams that normally wouldn't need a RB at their draft position. For example, if Jones had just blown the doors off the place, the Lions and the Raiders might have gotten interested. Instead, by being ho-hum, teams that "sort of need a lot of things" will look for a RB in another spot instead of spending a big $$$ money pick on a guy that didn't do anything exciting today.HERD

I'm beginning to think that all the teams filling immediate needs at RB in free agency (Wash, Tampa, Pitt, etc) might have known something (or gotten lucky). The "first tier" are not looking that special. There doesn't appear to be a "sure thing" out there, at least for productivity this year, so maybe getting a veteran was the right way to go?

More from Hall's workout:I'm sorry, but those footwork drill times are absolutely smoking!Me thinks the Steeler's draft board might be shuffling?
Wow :eek: those times really are smokin! He has to be the top CB now.

Users who are viewing this thread