What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Have to get a "zit" lanced on my eyelid. (1 Viewer)

kOOk

Footballguy
It is on the edge of my lower eyelid near the eyelash follicles. It's not a stye by the way, I believe it's a chalazion? My optometrist said I should've popped it when I had the chance. But at the time, I thought that would only make it worse and wasn't quite sure what it was. Now the skin has grown over the pore and the infection remains. It's not real bothersome but I can no longer wear contacts so I need to get it cleaned out.

They weren't definitive with where to send me for the procedure. They mentioned that I might be able to find a place that can laser it? Anyway, I didn't get much info from their office so I am seeking the wealth of knowledge here.

Dermatologist. I have this growth on my lower eye lid. Got it cut and burned a few years back but it came back. Got it frozen a couple months back. They are amazing on eye lid things.

I would love to be able to do that but my optometrist says it can't be done at this stage because the skin has grown over it. It's deep.

He initially said to use a Q-tip with Johnson's Baby Shampoo and go over it to clean it a few times a day. He said that it "might" work but if it didn't I would have to get it lanced. I never did try it and it doesn't matter now. It has to be lanced. Or lasered if possible? Or frozen??

Oh man not sure how I feel about watching that YouTube clip and then about 3 more like it.

I'm going to go wash my face for an hour.

i also have a cyst on my eyelid. Bringing it up next month when I see the doctor. It's white, looks benign, but it's just a growth above the eye and over the eyelid, actually.

Or it's not a cyst and I have something above my eyelid that isn't necessarily on my eyelid, but a growth above my eye? Like Antigone in True Detective? :shrug:

I had a chalazion removed by an ophthalmologist a few months ago. Was under my left eyelid about halfway up. Did it all while I was awake, about 20-30 minutes total. They made an incision ans scraped whatever deposits were under the skin. Hurt like a mofo for about 24 hours then slowly got better from there.

My be a little easier to deal with this if on the edge of eyelid but I would talk to ophthalmologist rather than dermatologist.

A chalazion is a stye, fwiw. They flip the lid and cut it out from there. And yes, an ophthalmologist is who you call.

I had a chalazion removed by an ophthalmologist a few months ago. Was under my left eyelid about halfway up. Did it all while I was awake, about 20-30 minutes total. They made an incision ans scraped whatever deposits were under the skin. Hurt like a mofo for about 24 hours then slowly got better from there.

My be a little easier to deal with this if on the edge of eyelid but I would talk to ophthalmologist rather than dermatologist.
Yeah, I made an appt with an ophthalmologist instead. Yours sounds like it was in a worse place than mine is but my optomotrist did say it's going to hurt a bit. Although I didn't tell him I'm a FBG so there's that.

How much did yours cost? I don't have anything to cover this so they offered me a cash discount of $250 which covers the office visit and removal. If I have to go to a surgery center that will be different.

Yeah, I made an appt with an ophthalmologist instead. Yours sounds like it was in a worse place than mine is but my optomotrist did say it's going to hurt a bit. Although I didn't tell him I'm a FBG so there's that.

How much did yours cost? I don't have anything to cover this so they offered me a cash discount of $250 which covers the office visit and removal. If I have to go to a surgery center that will be different.
Pre-insurance I think the bill was a bit over $1k including first appt and actual removal. This was at Northwestern in Chicago though, not sure how this stuff varies by hospital/locale, probably quite a bit.

You can use sterilid eyelid cleanser. My opthamoligst says that some people are just prone to getting them. Make sure to use the antibiotic salve afterwards. It won't be as bad on the edge of the lid. The worse is when it is far up under the lid and when it is healing the scab rubs on your eye when it is closed.

bcat01 said:
You can use sterilid eyelid cleanser. My opthamoligst says that some people are just prone to getting them. Make sure to use the antibiotic salve afterwards. It won't be as bad on the edge of the lid. The worse is when it is far up under the lid and when it is healing the scab rubs on your eye when it is closed.
That sounds agonizing. This makes me want them to cut from the front.

bcat01 said:
Don't do the front it will leave a scar. Just put a lot of antibiotic in it at night and you'll be good to sleep.

Painless. It was more of a stye he said. Technically it's called something that starts with an M (forget the word he used). So it was not a chalazion after all. Some blood after the lancing. He showed me the whitish seed-like zit that was removed. He had to squeeze it out after the incision which was easy. SOB had been there for months. Contacts here I come. I can wear them again in two days. Cost was $200 all told straight cash money homie no CC accepted.

Pre-insurance I think the bill was a bit over $1k including first appt and actual removal. This was at Northwestern in Chicago though, not sure how this stuff varies by hospital/locale, probably quite a bit.
'

Painless. It was more of a stye he said. Technically it's called something that starts with an M (forget the word he used). So it was not a chalazion after all. Some blood after the lancing. He showed me the whitish seed-like zit that was removed. He had to squeeze it out after the incision which was easy. SOB had been there for months. Contacts here I come. I can wear them again in two days. Cost was $200 all told straight cash money homie no CC accepted.
Glad you got it worked out.

That is a huge price difference.

I feel like I have 2 of these on my upper eyelid that have slowly shown up over the last month. Should I just go straight to an ophthalmologist, ortalk to a Dr first? I hate Doctors.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think i get these periodically. I try to "pop" them at first, but the skin won't break and nothing happens. Then after a month or so it somehow does pop and 1 little white thing comes out. Then it heals and is gone. Why did yours require a doctor?

Answering the question from Leeroy. My optometrist said it needed to be lanced. It had been there for at least 3 months and wasn't going away and I could not wear contacts. It had diminished over time but could not be popped. He said I should have tried to pop it when I first noticed it but skin had since grown over it. So contacts were the big issue otherwise I would've left it because it wasn't bothering me (without contacts) and it wasn't at all noticeable.

mine was a chalizion. just got back from the ophthalmologist. didn't hurt when he did it (except for the shot of lidocaine into my eyelid), but now it hurts and feels like there's sand between my eyeball and eyelid.

He showed me the whitish seed-like zit that was removed.
I had one of those on my leg once. Came out completely intact. Seriously, I could have put that thing on the bun of a quarter pounder and nobody would have been the wiser.

mine was a chalizion. just got back from the ophthalmologist. didn't hurt when he did it (except for the shot of lidocaine into my eyelid), but now it hurts and feels like there's sand between my eyeball and eyelid.
I had one removed several years ago and, by far, the worst part was that damned post-removal scratching you're talking about. I didn't have much actual pain, either during or after. IIRC, they took a blade to mine for removal.

Don't do the front it will leave a scar. Just put a lot of antibiotic in it at night and you'll be good to sleep.
Chicks dig scars

Have a stye, if that's what this is, on the inside of my lower eyelid.  I used a hot wash cloth and that helps a little but it turns cold so quickly it's a pain in the butt.

Searched youtube for answers and some girl advises that green tea bags work well because they stay heated a little longer and they contain anti-oxidents.

Any other ideas? 

Have a stye, if that's what this is, on the inside of my lower eyelid.  I used a hot wash cloth and that helps a little but it turns cold so quickly it's a pain in the butt.

Searched youtube for answers and some girl advises that green tea bags work well because they stay heated a little longer and they contain anti-oxidents.

Any other ideas? 
I just had a stye. Bad one

use the hot wash cloths. Get a big cup of boiled water and just reapply / resoak it often (like every couple mins). It will work 

Users who are viewing this thread