What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Type 1 Diabetes (1 Viewer)

Tick

Footballguy
Our son was diagnosed with T1D about 1.5 years ago, when he was 6. The best guess is that when he had strep throat, his immune system got confused and killed his pancreas's beta cells. He hadn't peed his bed for a few years, then did it about four straight nights. Wife took him in to see if he had a bladder infection, and he got the diagnosis of T1D. I knew virtually nothing about it (isn't diabetes what fat people get?), but had a crash course.

Type 1 Diabetes (formerly called juvenile diabetes) is dramatically different from Type 2, which is the type most people are familiar with. Something like 10% of the people with diabetes are Type 1. They come about in completely different ways - Type 1 is an autoimmune problem - it has nothing to do with diet or lifestyle. The body stops making insulin, which is needed to get sugar out of your blood and into your cells. It is not preventable or curable.

My boy will have it the rest of his life. It was rough at first, when he was fighting against all the needles (minimum of 5 blood sugar tests per day and minimum of 4 insulin injections per day). Then that became routine, as well as the math involved to dose him properly. Then, he got a pump, followed quickly by a continuous glucose monitor. We were lucky - that pump isn't approved for kids his age, but our insurance company paid for it anyway. Even with that, I'm guessing we're down something like $10k, and that's with my wife battling insurance and a Michigan medicaid thingy all the time.

The pump and monitor are great, but it's still something that changes everything we do. The pump has to be calibrated multiple times per day, meaning a blood sugar test. The monitor is nice, but isn't accurate enough to replace blood sugar testing. The pump injection point has to be moved every 3 days and the monitor puncture point has to be moved every 7 days. We need his blood test kit at all times, plus carb snacks and a glucagon needle that's required if he goes so low that he's unable to function.

School snacks and lunches could have been rough - we're lucky in that our kids are in a hippy school where he'll have the same 3 teachers through 6th grade, and they are enthusiastic helpers, along with the school secretary (no nurse at the school). My wife gets called around 3 times per week for advice/help from the school. Kids that young shouldn't be managing their own blood sugar (they're liable to be eating boogers), so the school support has been a big relief.

Are there any T1D people on the boards? Any parents of T1D kids?

P.S. Jay Cutler is T1D. He developed it after making the NFL. I know he's considered a doosh by many sports fans, but I now root for him.

sorry to hear bud, but with all the advances in Diabetes (like you mention some above) you guys seem to have a good grasp. Don't let it be a negative for your kid. it will be tough, but i run intro kids with Diabates and it doesn't seem to restrict them too much. the only time i have seen issues is with teenage kids who become defiant with it, or don't want to take the injections.

but from what i see they aren't particularly limited and from what i see advances in Diabetes research occur almost monthly.

Artificial pancreas... I attended a TEDx recently and the doctor who has been working on it for years said its being released this year (maybe this month). His son was born with type 1 and this device supposedly regulates both insulin and glucagon or something. Please check it out... Super exciting medical breakthrough.

modogg said:
sorry to hear bud, but with all the advances in Diabetes (like you mention some above) you guys seem to have a good grasp. Don't let it be a negative for your kid. it will be tough, but i run intro kids with Diabates and it doesn't seem to restrict them too much. the only time i have seen issues is with teenage kids who become defiant with it, or don't want to take the injections.

but from what i see they aren't particularly limited and from what i see advances in Diabetes research occur almost monthly.
My sister got it at around 5-6 years old in the mid-90s and if the OP thinks life is tough now, it was a nightmare then dealing with constant blood testing and syringes. The pump and all these other advances have made it much more manageable and will continue to do so.

I was diagnosed with Type 1 when I was 7--Halloween time and I was binging on candy. Something inside triggered off and before I knew it, I was in the hospital verging on coma with an obscene blood sugar number. Now some 38 years later. I still do 4 shots a day and test 4-5 times a day. I never went the continuous monitor or the pump route. I accept I have this disease (I mean what choice do I have?), but having all the tubing and so forth would just remind me of it 24/7 and frankly I am a klutz and I know I would be pulling that unit out all the time.

If there is any bright side to having the disease these days is all the advances and how far they have come in treatments. When I started I did one shot a day of NPH--awesome, but what do you for the other 8 hours a day? We didn't have glucose monitors-- we peed in a cup and used urine test strips. Now of course we know now that was basically worthless because that just showed where your body was at AFTER you ate. I remember being told my life expectancy was probably mid-40s which was pretty hard news to swallow back then, but now the sky is the limit for how long you can live.

I AM NOT A DOCTOR--what works for me is exactly that and not intended to be the blanket treatment.

My a1c numbers are 7.0 to 7.3--not perfect, but pretty darn good. The ADA wants 6.5, but that number is hard to maintain. My most important advice to you is DON'T let the doctors get you caught up in numbers. Your kid is going to have bad days and good days. The idea is to keep it in moderation and not have hi-highs or low-lows. I run 140 or so consistently. I am happy with it because it allows me some leeway in case I don't get out of court to eat so as to not drop out in there. The doctors will stress 80-120 and that is great for the most part, but being 80 puts you so close to low blood sugar, it isn't worth it in my opinion. And with a young kid--I definitely wouldn't want them that close to the edge.

The knee jerk reaction is to overact and you will want to put him in a bubble (I know you said he has had it for a year or so), but he will be fine. He can eat pretty much anything he wants within reason. It is all about moderation. You just have to counter with the short acting insulin. However, some things just cause problems no matter how much insulin he gives and these you learn to avoid all together. There are empty carbs out there like chocolates and sugary juices that just need to be left alone. In my case, pastries are my weakness, but I can't eat them because no matter how much insulin I give, they just kill my numbers. You will discover what works and doesn't work for him and don't beat yourself up if he goes high after a meal--that is how you learn for next time. Don't sweat the occasional bad number--I woke up this morning at 202--no freaking clue why. The only thing I can think of is maybe I had some absorption issue with last night's shot and I didn't get a good dose. I just keep in mind it is only the people that are consistently out of control that have problems with this disease. I counter the carbs with insulin and watch out for the hidden sugars in fruit. Find snacks like cheese cubes that are good to eat and don't require an insulin dose. I find I get in a schedule of eating a lot of the same things because I know what dose of insulin works with it.

That is sort of a rambling post, but I think what has helped me get through this disease is just relaxing and taking it on day by day. I am happy to help or answer any questions you may have just based on what I have experienced.

I have type 2, and have had several friends with type 1. With type 1, the main thing seems to regularity of meals, not skipping any. With type 2, I've found it can be completely controlled by just cutting out carbs. Atkins, primal, paleo, whatever. Don't know how that would work with type 1, but I don't think it would hurt.

I've also heard horror stories of uninformed parents who just let their type 1 kids eat whatever they want and pump more insulin into them, I don't think that's the way to go.

I don't have it, but my mom has had T1D since I was a little kid. She has managed it throughout my life like a warrior, meticulous and on top of it all day, every day. She says it's the only way to at least try to keep at bay the potential complications that can happen to you if you ignore that you have it. We're all Eagles fans having grown up in Philadelphia. I mentioned Jay Cutler one time when we were talking, having heard that he also had T1D. She knew exactly who he was, and doesn't know a ton of football. She lit up, "He's great, he's a pro football player and manages his disease so well!" I don't have a link, but I think she mentioned reading something about him in an ADA magazine that she gets, and even though he has to be on top of it because of the nature of what he does for a living, the article detailed everything he does to not let T1D control his practice or game play. Pretty awesome, and I'm rooting for Jay, my Mom/your son, and a cure for T1D. The artificial pancreas info sounds really promising, I'll send that along to her :thumbup:

Type I diabetic since 2 weeks before my 18th birthday. Got pulled out of school for a week and placed in the pediatric unit of St. John's in Detroit. I was the only smoker on that kids ward.

Mom was diagnosed at like ten in the 60s. She's got crazy stories of taking her glass syringe to the pharmacy once a week to get it sharpened. Pig and cow insulin used to cause gnarly bumps at the injection sites. I also remember her having to check her blood against a range of colors on the strips bottle. It'd narrow it down to a range of like fifty. Now, you get accurate results in 5 seconds.

My sister was diagnosed at like 12. We've all got at least 20 years under our belts. I was an adult when I was diagnosed, so I don't have much to offer on the way of handling your son, but if he's got any questions about getting older with the disease, shoot me a message. And, when you give him the talk, tell him if he can't get it up for any reason, check his blood sugar.

For all you Type IIs out there, I'm sorry that you've got problems, but you've got a mainly curable disease. Get off the couch and losing some freaking weight. The main problem is that since so many Americans have weight problems. the vast majority of funding now goes to Type II, not Type I. Those lazy ####s are taking money away from people with a real disease, solely because they won't get off their couches. Rant ended.

I'm available for any questions. I still use vials and syringes. My mom bottomed out while driving and sideswiped a concrete wall on the freeway doing 65. Head injury, smashed heel and elbow, chipped vertebrae -- hasn't work since and hasn't been the same. No matter your son's doc's emphasis on low sugars, it's always better to keep them a little high. Oh, and your son may not be able to get his scuba license. A lot of places don't want the liability if something goes wrong under water.

I read somewhere that Afrezza (inhaled insulin) might be a way to help prevent type I diabetes by getting kids immune systems used to insulin without the shots.

slackjawedyokel said:
Artificial pancreas... I attended a TEDx recently and the doctor who has been working on it for years said its being released this year (maybe this month). His son was born with type 1 and this device supposedly regulates both insulin and glucagon or something. Please check it out... Super exciting medical breakthrough.
More info: http://tedxsacramento.com/blog/bionic-pancreas-inventor-edward-damiano-to-speak-at-tedxsacramento2015

and: http://news.yahoo.com/katie-couric-bionic-pancreas-104752872.html

Research this guys progress... it will revolutionize the way we handle T1D.

Last edited by a moderator:
slackjawedyokel said:
More info: http://tedxsacramento.com/blog/bionic-pancreas-inventor-edward-damiano-to-speak-at-tedxsacramento2015

and: http://news.yahoo.com/katie-couric-bionic-pancreas-104752872.html

Research this guys progress... it will revolutionize the way we handle T1D.
The problem is the FDA may not want to take the risks associated with this type of product.

They just barely let minimed get the 550g on the market and that one just will suspend your insulin for like a half hour. They don't show any inclination to let the 640g on the market because it uses a slope detection method and waits for recovery to restart delivery.

Of course you can get the above in the UK along with the patch meter.

wife uses ominpod+dexcom they both have massive limitations, however.

The real endgame imo short of some sort of stem cell thing:

-arm worn glucometer like a bodybugg or smartwatch

-abdomen based basal and glucose delivery system which also allows a 50/50 blend of simulin/insulin

-fast acting inhaler based insulin

IMO pumps are poor choices for meal time delivery and are strictly suited for basal systems. But, for the moment it is what it is.

I would obviously be very interested in watching the TED talk if someone has a video link I would appreciate it. I can't seem to find it on google or youtube.

I'm T1 and was diagnosed at 29 (late bloomer I guess) with no family history of diabetes. A little less than one year later my 2 year old son was diagnosed. I knew the symptoms and he started peeing a lot so I tested him and his blood sugar was 300 so that was that. He is now 17 and a regular teenager. Just got his black belt in TKD, got his drivers license at 16 and plays the drums. It has become routine since we have both had it for 15 years now but can be a major pain in the ###. Test, test and test to stay on top of it and keep your A1C in check but I agree with the above don't keep them too low especially if they are active. We both still use syringe and vial and haven't done the pump because he is very active (sparring in TKD could be an issue) and both of us have good control right now.

I do hate this disease and am excited for all the new things that seem to be on the horizon and I feel guilty about him having to grow up with it, but he has been a champ and I'm so proud of the way he lives with it. It has really just become part of our daily routine. I'll be happy to answer any questions or help in any way I can.

I also have 3 younger kids (14, 9, 4) that have not gotten it, yet. I hope they never do.....

My brother got this when he was 10 years old. First time i ever heard my father cry. It's been rough. When he goes low is ####### scary. He's 35 now and doing great bit i always worry about him. Life was always tougher for him. Best wishes to your son.

Thanks for the tips, everyone. My boy has handled it quite well - he's proud to show people he meets his pump, he plays soccer and goes mountain biking... pretty much a normal kid, except that he can't be all that far from us. In another month or so, his brand of pump (Medtronic) comes out with a dongle (hehe) that will give us real-time blood glucose readings over the iPhone. I'm already planning to donate my old iPhone 4 to him. My wife makes little pump pouches on elastic bands that he wears - she'll have to come up with a new design that can hold the phone and the dongle (hehe) as well.

The new research is exciting. As far as I know, the US doesn't have any pumps with glucagon yet, but I assume it's not that far away. It seems like they can regrow beta cells, but can't get the immune system to stop attacking them without immune system suppressors, which are scary. I think there was a pancreas transplant when they were already replacing some other organs in someone, but it's not quite right yet.

It's part of our routine now... things still go wrong - yesterday, my wife just paid at the museum and went to calibrate his pump, only to find that his diabetes backpack was out of test strips. But for the most part, we've just integrated it into our lives. The worst part is the 2 AM test - my wife takes that one, and it affects her to have that disruption every night (minimum - there are also low alarms, high alarms, false alarms if the sensor gets too cold, battery warnings, calibration reminders... oof). It's a little like having an infant again. Her fitbit says she's gotten very good at falling asleep instantly, which is good.

He gets two snacks at school every day. I pack them every night while my wife makes his lunch. Olives, pickles, cheese, meat, veggies and dip - we avoid carbs for the snacks and put them in the lunch. It makes management easier for the school and is a good habit for him. Luckily, through two school years, he still isn't sick of the same five things for snacks every day.

It's neat how people reach out - at my daughter's first soccer game after the boy was diagnosed, her teammate's mom stopped by to let me know her son has T1D, and it gets better quickly. I was still in shock at the time, so it was good to hear.

I'm really grateful that management is as good as it is now - I hear about the older methods like Courtjester used, and it's amazing how far things have gone. I also read history differently now - you know how every emperor in history lost two young sons to wasting sicknesses and consumption and such, and poison was suspected... I wonder how many of those were just T1D. When my son gets frustrated about something in his treatment, I occasionally remind him that we live in awesome times, since the most powerful man in the world couldn't save his kid who had T1D a thousand years ago.

The first recorded instances were 2 thousand years ago. They would treat it with the french lily powder. Today we call this metformin.

My son was diagnosed at age 7. No history on either side. Learned a lot in a hurry just like you. The son is 19 now and doing well. It was hard to send him off to college. We no longer could look out for him. He came home this spring just fine.

Diabetes makes them take a lot more responsibility way earlier in life than any young kid should have to deal with. Getting a license now days requires a type 1 to stay honest in their testing. My boy was slacking, but once he realized the driving privledge might be taken away, he quickly got back into testing as he should be. It'd imagine iit's natural to at some point start saying f this testing.

Anyway, I'd be happy to answer any q's you might have. We've always strayed on the side of highs. Lows scare the crap out of me. I realize high is no good long term but .... Too low and your done. As others have stated, certain carbs screw things up. We've alwAys let him eat whatever and cover the carbs with insulin but he has learned to avoid certain stuff as Causes blood sugar madness.

Best wishes to your son and you.

As others have stated, certain carbs screw things up. We've alwAys let him eat whatever and cover the carbs with insulin but he has learned to avoid certain stuff as Causes blood sugar madness.
Man, what the heck is in the Kraft Fresh Take Breading? It is in the cheese area and it is really cool idea for coating chicken or pork, but wow, does this stuff do me in. I have tried it twice and both times my blood sugar just exploded. I mean it is breading on chicken, but both times I went dangerously high.

This is a perfect example of something so simple just going off the tracks. Yet I can eat a Krispy Cream donut this weekend and there is no problem (extra insulin added of course). Go figure??

As others have stated, certain carbs screw things up. We've alwAys let him eat whatever and cover the carbs with insulin but he has learned to avoid certain stuff as Causes blood sugar madness.
Man, what the heck is in the Kraft Fresh Take Breading? It is in the cheese area and it is really cool idea for coating chicken or pork, but wow, does this stuff do me in. I have tried it twice and both times my blood sugar just exploded. I mean it is breading on chicken, but both times I went dangerously high.This is a perfect example of something so simple just going off the tracks. Yet I can eat a Krispy Cream donut this weekend and there is no problem (extra insulin added of course). Go figure??
Never tried that personally. If I coat meat, it's with natuatlral herbs and spices

Wife has issues with garbanzo beans. Dunno why. Just throwing that out there. I've suggested hummus instead of glucose tabs and was not greeted with a chuckle.

The first recorded instances were 2 thousand years ago. They would treat it with the french lily powder. Today we call this metformin.
Ancient Greeks used to have people with symptoms of depression drink from alkaline springs. Had Lithium in them. Amazing what people figured out back then.

My daughter was diagnosed at 17 months, she turns 19 next month. A lot has changed since then. I remember attending the first JDRF walk. There were roughly 300 people and not much hoopla. The walk last year had an estimated 3500 people in attendance and is full of vendors, activities and a live band.

My daughters been on the pump for the last 10 years. For the most part, it has little effect on her life right now. Unfortunately, as a teenager, she doesn't take her blood sugar control seriously. As a parent, there's not much you can do. Thankfully she doesn't drink alcohol and lives a pretty healthy lifestyle.

Prior to being diagnosed, she had the same symptoms as your son. We saw her pediatrician twice that week and they never tested for diabetes. Finally Saturday afternoon we took her to an Emergicare and they thought it might be a brain tumor. She was close to going into a coma as well, thanks to the inept pediatrician. Her blood sugar was over 800. Looking at the big picture, it could have been worse. It could have been a tumor. All in all, she's happy and pretty normal. (as normal as a teenager can be)

Fyi the healthy lifestyle is so true. My brother is like a health nut now and is 185 lbs of muscle and a personal trainer.

My wife is T1 Diabetic for almost 10 years now, diagnosed in her late 20s (yes, it was weird, best we can tell she had Mono and something went wrong and she stopped producing insulin). Found out when she went into the emergency room with blurry vision, on steroids for being sick, and her blood sugars were in the 800s (blurry vision was because of sugar crystallizing in her eyes cause it had no where to go).

She struggled quite a bit early on, and is still struggling with control. She had a pump early on, but it was too early before she knew anything about the disease and she didn't learn what she needed to know to really learn control. Now she's taking classes again and may soon get a CGM and maybe a new pump, she's really excited about the CGM.

She has some other health issues, so pretty challenging to manage everything. But she's doing her best to get it all under control.

She struggled quite a bit early on, and is still struggling with control. She had a pump early on, but it was too early before she knew anything about the disease and she didn't learn what she needed to know to really learn control. Now she's taking classes again and may soon get a CGM and maybe a new pump, she's really excited about the CGM.

She has some other health issues, so pretty challenging to manage everything. But she's doing her best to get it all under control.
We were very thankful for the pediatric endocrinologist office in Grand Rapids that has helped us through this. They made us wait for six months before getting a pump and CGM to make sure we understood everything before going automated. I can see how a non-pediatric clinic might not be so strict, and how it could be a problem.

I have a daughter who has had T1D for almost 4 years. She was diagnosed at 11 years old. After six months, she went on the pump. About a month ago, she decided to go back to shots. After listening to her reasons, we let her make the decision to go back to shots.

We are hopeful there is a cure someday. It is a tough disease to live with and doesn't get the press it deserves.

Our soon to be 19 year old daughter has finally hit the phase where she's had enough with being diabetic. We discovered she only tested herself 3 time in the last month. Doctors mentioned that many teens go through a phase like this, but I'd hoped we missed it.

Just one of the joys of parenting.

My daughter diagnosed 11/16/09 at age 6 with Type 1 - no history in family and was a MDI - multiple daily injector until May 2014. At that point we have her on a Medtronic 530G pump (she will not use Elite CGM does not want another hole in her) and she is a "tom boy" - Travel soccer for the last 5 years plus basketball and volleyball. T1D does not slow her down and public schools have been great. In fact, she had 250 kids in her 7th grade class last with 4 kids with T1D on pumps. Must be the water in Michigan to have that many in one class...pretty crazy.

Some random items:

A1C scores a little lower with pump but more stable BS during the night/day, she loves the pump. We make sure that she is 180-200 at 11:00 pm and then she is good to go for the night.

Here friends stay at our house for sleepovers and she does not stay at others house, my wife and I have not been out overnight together anywhere since her diagnoses but you deal with it. There are diseases that are a lot worse than manageable T1D, so we work it out.

One of the best things we ever did and we started late when she was 11 (June 2014) was send her to diabetes camp in Michigan - Camp Midicha - Fenton MI. This camp is amazing !! No worries for the parent and my daughter said "It's the only week of the year that she does not have to worry about diabetes". She went for her second year this year in June and she learned to move site from her stomach for the last year to the top of her rear end. She never would have made this site change location without suggestions from the camp - that alone was worth the price for the camp. If you learn anything from my post - SEND YOUR KID TO DIABETES CAMP - Camp Midicha has been going for 60 years and people from states all around drive to this camp even when they have a camp in their state.

Everyone deals with life changing events differently, but I have met some parents that do not let their T1D kids do athletics. That is a big issue for me and granted, we are at every practice with her plus both have full time jobs. If other people read this and know some parent with a T1D kid, please make sure they do not keep their kids from athletics.

My daughter handles it well and nothing slows her down especially not T1D. We try not to make a big deal because she already knows its a big deal and does not need a constant reminder. There are many frustrations like it took us 3-4 months to get her sites right with the proper "adhesive setup" to survive soccer games but after that we have been good for the last year. There are nights were you check at 11pm and she is too low, you know your up at 3am - 6am to check her etc...But that the way the cards are dealt and you just make the best of it.

Feel free to PM me and I have no problem giving you or anyone else a call to discuss items.

Lots of new research in this area. For the first time there are paths that are looking promising outside of islet cell therapy.

Lots of new technology coming on the market as well. Patch worn passive monitors without canulas. Pumps that will work with your smart phone and won't need a DMI.

Inhalable fast acting (Think like 15 min fast) insulin and inject-able basal insulin that lasts for 48 hours.

I think in 10 years the way this disease has been treated will be a thing of the past. I think there's hope, alot of hope that this thing is if not cured through a true bio cure it's cured through technology.

Is anyone on the waitlist for the Minimed 630?

Currently wife does DexcomG4 and Omnipod. Both work well for our needs.

One of the best things we ever did and we started late when she was 11 (June 2014) was send her to diabetes camp in Michigan - Camp Midicha - Fenton MI. This camp is amazing !! No worries for the parent and my daughter said "It's the only week of the year that she does not have to worry about diabetes". She went for her second year this year in June and she learned to move site from her stomach for the last year to the top of her rear end. She never would have made this site change location without suggestions from the camp - that alone was worth the price for the camp. If you learn anything from my post - SEND YOUR KID TO DIABETES CAMP - Camp Midicha has been going for 60 years and people from states all around drive to this camp even when they have a camp in their state.
There's a minimum age... we thought my son wasn't eligible this summer, but it turns out he was. Next summer for sure!

My boy's too skinny to do sensor or infusion sites in the stomach like most people. He can do butt or triceps, that's it. Little dude has a six pack just from the amount of time he spends on the monkey bars.

Man, what the heck is in the Kraft Fresh Take Breading? It is in the cheese area and it is really cool idea for coating chicken or pork, but wow, does this stuff do me in. I have tried it twice and both times my blood sugar just exploded. I mean it is breading on chicken, but both times I went dangerously high.

This is a perfect example of something so simple just going off the tracks. Yet I can eat a Krispy Cream donut this weekend and there is no problem (extra insulin added of course). Go figure??
I went and looked the product up. I think it must have been a problem for a lot of people, since they now have suggested substitutes for it.

Ironic this thread is right at the top as I log on here at 3:00 am.

Boy. do nighttime low blood sugar episodes stink. Just checked my blood and 53 is not a good number. I am lucky in that my body wakes me up. I have known diabetics who don't and their family members find them the next morning and have to call 911 to revive them. Of course, you do what you can to bring yourself out of this crash (Mountain Dew is my go-to), but you usually end up with a pendulum swing to the high side as a result in the morning. And I love the doctors who say you should try fruit juice or something else to ease yourself out of the low so as not to rebound high......ah, no, when I am at 53 all I want is out of this and now. I'll deal with the higher reading in the morning.

edited: Thanks for the info on that Kraft breading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ironic this thread is right at the top as I log on here at 3:00 am.

Boy. do nighttime low blood sugar episodes stink. Just checked my blood and 53 is not a good number. I am lucky in that my body wakes me up. I have known diabetics who don't and their family members find them the next morning and have to call 911 to revive them. Of course, you do what you can to bring yourself out of this crash (Mountain Dew is my go-to), but you usually end up with a pendulum swing to the high side as a result in the morning. And I love the doctors who say you should try fruit juice or something else to ease yourself out of the low so as not to rebound high......ah, no, when I am at 53 all I want is out of this and now. I'll deal with the higher reading in the morning.

edited: Thanks for the info on that Kraft breading.
While counter-intuitive most every time you get a bad low you should take insulin. Dextrose works in about 15 minutes. Insulin in about 45. So you give the sugar a head start and then insulin takes care of the over-treatment of the bad low and still only really peaks 2 hours later. The low to high seesaw is a major problem, but treatable.

What were her reasons to leave the pump? Aesthetic?
What were her reasons to leave the pump? Aesthetic?
She got tired of having the pump attached 24/7 except when showering and playing volleyball. Her last A1C was 6.7 which we were very pleased with. So far so good with going back to shots.

We need to keep Type 1 talked about...so many do not know about this disease.

Took my 11 year old to his doctor today because he was wetting the bed recently, which was out of character. I wanted him tested and so he peed in a cup and glucose levels were high. Blood test confirmed suspicions of diabetes. We are at the Children's Hospital now about to meet with the endocrinologist and will be here the next two days. This thread has been very helpful to read and thank you for sharing. We are nervous, scared and I'm freaking out about cost as I may be losing my job and have four other kids, but I'm putting on a strong face and am glad we got ahead of this early. :(

Took my 11 year old to his doctor today because he was wetting the bed recently, which was out of character. I wanted him tested and so he peed in a cup and glucose levels were high. Blood test confirmed suspicions of diabetes. We are at the Children's Hospital now about to meet with the endocrinologist and will be here the next two days. This thread has been very helpful to read and thank you for sharing. We are nervous, scared and I'm freaking out about cost as I may be losing my job and have four other kids, but I'm putting on a strong face and am glad we got ahead of this early. :(
So sorry to hear GM. It is a really tough disease, but luckily it is one of those that you can control with all the wonderful advances they have.

I went through the bed wetting thing when I was diagnosed 39 years ago. So just reassure him that it is normal and will pass.

You have to just look at the positives--if this is what it definitely is, you caught it before he crashed out. Like I shared earlier, my diagnosis was at Halloween and with all the candy and junk I ate, I ended up in a coma for 2 weeks in the hospital.

Let me know if there is anything I can do. Having done this so long, I don't know if there is anything I haven't gone through with this disease.

Hang in there...

Fire away with any questions or issues. There are a billion choices for equipment and etc.

GDammit. Hang in there man. Children health problems are so tough - and yes, good that it was caught early.

Didn't realize you were also truly worried about your job - thought you were somewhat kidding. T&Ps and positive vibes.

General Malaise said:
Stay strong. I remember feeling gutted for quite a while. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Though there are many kids here with far far worse than diabetes, so perspective needed. Parents here and everywhere facing larger health problems.

Users who are viewing this thread