What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Creed" movie thread - Trailer released (1 Viewer)

Rocky balboa was really good i thought. This seems less likely, but i will give it a shot when it comes out on video.

OK, just got back from watching it. Pretty good movie, evocative of the first one. But it was missing the humor from most of the Rocky movies, and the opposing boxer wasn't interesting. Part of what makes the Rocky movies so compelling is that you are interested in his opponent (Apollo, Lang, Drago.) This guy was supposed to have anger management issues, but they don't really show enough of him for you to care. The love interest story was also just OK.

Sly Stallone showed some acting chops. He's gotten better over the years. Jordan is a fine actor. The fight scenes were epic in the best Rocky tradition. It doesn't live up to the original 4 films IMO, but it's worth seeing.

Interesting because all the critics are raving about it. Local writer said he thought it was too good of a movie and that could hurt it at the box office.

In the span of 30 minutes last night I stumbled on reviews from The New York Times, The Washington Post and the New Yorker. All three raved about it.

Interesting because all the critics are raving about it. Local writer said he thought it was too good of a movie and that could hurt it at the box office.
Whats the logic behind that?
I think the original Rocky would struggle to succeed as a "Rocky movie" nowadays. We think of big, silly movies like Rocky III and Rocky IV. Rocky was a small independent type of picture very much out of the 70s aesthetic. My understanding is that this film is closer in spirit and conception to the original.

Whats the logic behind that?
I think the original Rocky would struggle to succeed as a "Rocky movie" nowadays. We think of big, silly movies like Rocky III and Rocky IV. Rocky was a small independent type of picture very much out of the 70s aesthetic. My understanding is that this film is closer in spirit and conception to the original.
Right. The critic was basically saying there wasn't a lot of action and it is more of a slow character based drama. A great film, but not the type of movie that usually crushes it with the average fan.

Looking forward to it. I loved the Scott Stapp review of it on Funny or Die. He assumed is was about his band. But gave it 4 Arms Wide Open nonetheless.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, just got back from watching it. Pretty good movie, evocative of the first one. But it was missing the humor from most of the Rocky movies, and the opposing boxer wasn't interesting. Part of what makes the Rocky movies so compelling is that you are interested in his opponent (Apollo, Lang, Drago.) This guy was supposed to have anger management issues, but they don't really show enough of him for you to care. The love interest story was also just OK.

Sly Stallone showed some acting chops. He's gotten better over the years. Jordan is a fine actor. The fight scenes were epic in the best Rocky tradition. It doesn't live up to the original 4 films IMO, but it's worth seeing.
Agreed. Opposing boxer was boring and barely talked about.

Not as good as Balboa but I liked it. I kind of feel like it was more of a Creed1 movie rather then Rocky 6. Many many years I ago I heard Stallone in an interview say that Rocky would never die in these flicks. I really hope he sticks to that. The scenes of Rocky not doing so well was bad enough. I never want to see him die, that would be horrible.

Not as good as Balboa but I liked it. I kind of feel like it was more of a Creed1 movie rather then Rocky 6. Many many years I ago I heard Stallone in an interview say that Rocky would never die in these flicks. I really hope he sticks to that. The scenes of Rocky not doing so well was bad enough. I never want to see him die, that would be horrible.
Geez. Ever hear of spoilers?

I thought it was boring.

But I didn't really want to see it in the first place, every thanksgiving my family goes to see a movie after we eat dinner. Everybody wanted to see Creed, so i didn't have a choice.

My aunt, who loves the Rocky movies, said this was a little too "cute" compared to the original films.

Let me also add that I'm familiar with the rocky movies only through pop culture references (running up the steps, catching the chickens, etc). I've never watched a rocky movie all the way through. They never appealed to me.

If you're a rocky fan, you'll enjoy this film. If you're not familiar with the films like me, stay home.

The love interest was painfully useless. Almost to an annoying level.

I thought it was boring.

But I didn't really want to see it in the first place, every thanksgiving my family goes to see a movie after we eat dinner. Everybody wanted to see Creed, so i didn't have a choice.

My aunt, who loves the Rocky movies, said this was a little too "cute" compared to the original films.

Let me also add that I'm familiar with the rocky movies only through pop culture references (running up the steps, catching the chickens, etc). I've never watched a rocky movie all the way through. They never appealed to me.

If you're a rocky fan, you'll enjoy this film. If you're not familiar with the films like me, stay home.

The love interest was painfully useless. Almost to an annoying level.
Hopefully you have never seen any of the Star Wars movies so that you can review the new one for us when it comes out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Geez. Ever hear of spoilers?
I take it you haven't seen the previews?

Getting killer ratings on RT. Interesting. I assumed this was just an obvious money grab and piece of crap.

I liked it because it was Rocky but not sure why it's getting huge rating. Was sold out at the first one I tried. I went more for the nostalgia. Been to everyone at the theater with my dad since Rocky 3

I have seen every Rocky film in the theater (including the dreadful misstep known as Rocky V).

I am eagerly looking forward to seeing Creed this week (may go tonight if I can talk my son out of Hunger Games Mocking Jay PT2).

My rankings:

1. Rocky

2. Rocky III

3. Rocky IV

4. Rocky II

5. Rocky Balboa (I thought it was great and could slip past Rocky II which has not aged well for me)

6. Rocky V

Creed looks like a brand new series.

Really liked it. The cancer stuff really hit home for me having lost my mother this year to it. I went with my sister who also had Non Hodgkins Lymphoma and had to hold her hand the whole second half of the movie. I choked right up several times. It really hit me because of how my last year has gone.

Creed was as good, if not better, than any of the other Rocky movies. I'm a huge fan of the series and Creed definitely represented itself very well.

Because it's still new, I'll refrain from too many spoilers, but the scene in the locker room before the fight when Adonis opened his gift was definitely a 'dusty' moment.

Creed was as good, if not better, than any of the other Rocky movies. I'm a huge fan of the series and Creed definitely represented itself very well.

Because it's still new, I'll refrain from too many spoilers, but the scene in the locker room before the fight when Adonis opened his gift was definitely a 'dusty' moment.
Say what?!?

Say what?!?
The only one I'd clearly put it behind is the original. The rest, not so much.

It was entertaining but I somehow expected more!
Same here.. I liked it, but I was hoping for more "Rocky"... I understand this is about "Creed", but I still thought there would be more Stallone being Rocky..

Obviously I didn't expect him to get in the ring, but I also didn't think he'd be so old...

On a side note, my 17 year old daughter who's never watched a minute of any Rocky movie said it was much better than she expected it to be..

Users who are viewing this thread