What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ken Stabler has passed away (1 Viewer)

Hard to believe he's the first of the Bama Big 3 to go.

Or maybe not.

RIP Governor of LA

Apparently the Tuscaloosa News accidentally posted a story they were prepping just in case....

Raider Nation said:
Snake has looked like he's been dead since 1979. Lotta hard living.
When I was a kid I used to like watching the Raiders and Snake was the QB. I was devastated when they traded him to Houston for Dan Pastorini.Stabler was the QB in Houston for two seasons and was replaced by a big Mormon kid named Gifford Neilsen. A reporter asked one of the players what the biggest difference was between having Neilsen at QB vs Stabler. The player said on Sundays the huddle went from smelling like Jack Daniels and cigars to smelling like milkshakes.

Oops

The Tuscaloosa News reported that Stabler had died at the age of 69, but within a few minutes, the site posted a note saying that it while reporting unconfirmed but persistent rumors of Stabler's passing, it had "inadvertently and briefly published an incomplete story that we were preparing in the event that the story was confirmed."

"Unfortunately, other news outlets used social media to share the report," the note continued. "We regret the error and any emotional distress caused to Stabler's family, friends and fans."

Raider Nation said:
When I was a kid I used to like watching the Raiders and Snake was the QB. I was devastated when they traded him to Houston for Dan Pastorini.

Stabler was the QB in Houston for two seasons and was replaced by a big Mormon kid named Gifford Neilsen. A reporter asked one of the players what the biggest difference was between having Neilsen at QB vs Stabler. The player said on Sundays the huddle went from smelling like Jack Daniels and cigars to smelling like milkshakes.
He never looked right in an Oilers uniform. And certainly not in a Saints uniform.

This will always be the image of him.

I wouldn't have expected Madden to outlive him even though Kenny did tons of partying.

RIP Snake

Hard life,but well lived. Still 69 seems too young.

One of my all time childhood heroes. Earliest life memories live and on TV were of him working his magic down the field by hook or by crook. He was going to get the job done. Just win baby! I hope hes pouring a shot for Al Davis wherever they are. Great personality and the lifeblood of those 70's teams.

Sad day.

Raider Nation said:
When I was a kid I used to like watching the Raiders and Snake was the QB. I was devastated when they traded him to Houston for Dan Pastorini.

Stabler was the QB in Houston for two seasons and was replaced by a big Mormon kid named Gifford Neilsen. A reporter asked one of the players what the biggest difference was between having Neilsen at QB vs Stabler. The player said on Sundays the huddle went from smelling like Jack Daniels and cigars to smelling like milkshakes.
He never looked right in an Oilers uniform. And certainly not in a Saints uniform.This will always be the image of him.I wouldn't have expected Madden to outlive him even though Kenny did tons of partying.
He looked weird in baby blues. I was at that wildcard game at the Oakland-Alameda Coliseum on the road to Super Bowl XIV. Dave Casper was with Stabler as the enemy. We crushed Earl Campbell's Oilers 27-7 that day. Didn't seem right cheering against those two Raider legends.

Raider Nation said:

He never looked right in an Oilers uniform. And certainly not in a Saints uniform.This will always be the image of him.I wouldn't have expected Madden to outlive him even though Kenny did tons of partying.
I was just a kid when Stabler was traded to Houston and I was so mad that Al Davis traded him there that I became an Oilers fan. I went from cheering for Madden, Stabler and Casper to Bum Phillips, Stabler and Earl Campbell. I was so happy when Pastorini lost the Raiders starting QB job to Plunkett.Stabler in Houston and New Orleans was like watching Joe Montana with the Chiefs.

That 77 AFC playoff game about killed me, but i always liked the rebel image of Stabler and respected his talent.

As a Pats fan I couldn't stand him, Ben Dreith etc, but I respected and feared the guy, he was clutch. RIP

Man this hurts big. My dad was a lefty, Raider fan & loved Raiders...and I followed. Remember questioning dad after Illegal Reception, asking if I could spike my nerf in house after Sea of Hands and holding up Xmas eve dinner during Balt-Oak playoff. Damn.

Back in the day, the Raiders were on National TV nearly every week like Dallas was. Even though I didn't really like Oakland, I liked him and his play.

RIP

Sad to see ya go Snake.

Stabler is a great ex-Saint, he took over from Archie Manning and twice had the team on the edge of the playoffs. All guts and gristle, he was Bum Phillips' leader.

Another time earlier he played for the Raiders and he led a sick 4th quarter comeback that knocked the Saints out of the playoff race, it was MNF in the Done, Raiders 42 - Saints 35.

Happy trails, Kenny, say hi to the Saints for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
This hurts. I started watching football in the 70s in western PA. I was supposed to be a Steeler fan like everyone else. I caught a Raiders game and their FU attitude. I have been hooked on the Silver and Black ever since. Snake and the rest of that cast of characters will never be duplicated.

Stabler lived life to the fullest and provided a ton of great memories. RIP.

:sad:

On a happier note I heard on the radio this morning an epic story about how he and another guy jumped in his car after practice at Alabama and drove straight to his dad's bar in Biloxi or somewhere like that. The interviewer asked how long it took them to get there and he said "a twelve pack each" :lmao: He then said they get to the bar and two guys are beating up a guy in the parking lot, Stabler gets out of the car and says to the guy getting beat up "hi dad" at which point the guy getting beat up says "hi son, grab a seat I'll be in in a minute" :lmao:

I butchered it up some but #### like that is what makes him a legend.

Working from home today and on NFL Network they have NFL Classic Games on. It was supposed to be CHI vs. MIN game but they are showing OAK (with Stabler) vs. MIA instead. Stabler was before my time so I am enjoying watching him play right now.

Working from home today and on NFL Network they have NFL Classic Games on. It was supposed to be CHI vs. MIN game but they are showing OAK (with Stabler) vs. MIA instead. Stabler was before my time so I am enjoying watching him play right now.
:thumbup:

I cut out the filler. This is the best 8 minutes.

:chills:
They are showing OAK vs BAL (Colts) game now. Very cool. It's supposed to be some other show, but it looks like they will be playing Stabler classic games today. I know what I will be watching this afternoon (while I try to do some work)...

It's cool of y'all to drop in with kind words. My mother used to scratch her head wondering why in the hell I was throwing a football left-handed in the backyard as a kid.

Users who are viewing this thread