What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New Car - VW or Hyundai (1 Viewer)

poopdawg

Footballguy
Looking to get a brand new car after my POS Impala. Was looking at either a VW Jetta/Passat or Hyundai Elantra. Nothing fancy, just looking for something relatively cheap. VW runs longer but should have higher repair costs. Any FBGs have either and recommend one? TIA...

I had a vw AWD Passat (4 cylinder turbo). It did OK for a few years but I ended up paying a couple grand per year on repairs. Finally got rid of it for a honda pilot (2 kids) because it smelled like exhaust was coming into the car. Will never get a vw again.

have had 4 VWs and only issue out of all them was a broken power window. Which was replaced under warranty.

unless you're putting excessive miles on, why would anyone buy a car though? Just lease it and let someone else worry about the late mile repairs

have had 4 VWs and only issue out of all them was a broken power window. Which was replaced under warranty.

unless you're putting excessive miles on, why would anyone buy a car though? Just lease it and let someone else worry about the late mile repairs
I was thinking about it but I do travel for work sometimes.

I had a vw AWD Passat (4 cylinder turbo). It did OK for a few years but I ended up paying a couple grand per year on repairs. Finally got rid of it for a honda pilot (2 kids) because it smelled like exhaust was coming into the car. Will never get a vw again.
I will add that I had my car for 10 yes and only 85,000 miles. Fuel pump issues, power window issues, sun roof issues, alignment issues, alternator and the list goes on. Problems started about year 5.

I will add that I had my car for 10 yes and only 85,000 miles. Fuel pump issues, power window issues, sun roof issues, alignment issues, alternator and the list goes on. Problems started about year 5.
Good to know. Thanks!

Bought a Golf TDI new in 06 and its still going strong. Great car for getting around in a city. Only "major" issue I had was with the AC for around $500.

Parents are on their third Jetta TDI and haven't had issues. They put on about 200K KM before getting a new one.

I've never owned a VW, but I'm driving a 2013 Elantra that I bought in 2012. No repair issues at all, but there's just a few things I don't like. The brakes work great but they sound horrible when you hit them hard. The front pillars result in blind spots I'm not used to from driving my pickup. I get about 3 mpg less than advertised. That's in the summer with the AC on most of the time. Mileage is even worse in the winter. The stereo sounds pretty good, though. And it has all the power I need on the highway, which is impressive considering all the mountains around me. Surprising amount of leg room for a smaller car. Very reasonably priced, too. Would recommend to a friend.

Honda Civic or Accord

Toyota Corolla or Camry

The Korean cars, Hyundai and Kia, have improved quite a bit over the past few years but still not on the Honda or Toyota level.

Do not buy an American brand car.

Imo

I've never owned a VW, but I'm driving a 2013 Elantra that I bought in 2012. No repair issues at all, but there's just a few things I don't like. The brakes work great but they sound horrible when you hit them hard. The front pillars result in blind spots I'm not used to from driving my pickup. I get about 3 mpg less than advertised. That's in the summer with the AC on most of the time. Mileage is even worse in the winter. The stereo sounds pretty good, though. And it has all the power I need on the highway, which is impressive considering all the mountains around me. Surprising amount of leg room for a smaller car. Very reasonably priced, too. Would recommend to a friend.
I don't drive too far outside of work, which is expensed, so the MPG shouldn't be a huge issue. Good to know though.

Honda Civic or Accord

Toyota Corolla or Camry

The Korean cars, Hyundai and Kia, have improved quite a bit over the past few years but still not on the Honda or Toyota level.

Imo
I agree. Sad to say but my last 3 cars were American and POS. I'd love to buy the Al Bundy Dodge but no chance.ETA - Although it did make it 1,000,000+ miles on the same engine, and same quart of oil for that matter...

Last edited by a moderator:
Kia's are pretty good now, especially since they hired Audi's old chief designer. Take a look and you might be surprised. They are also competitive with the prices.

Honda Civic or Accord

Toyota Corolla or Camry

Imo
Agree with this.

Two horrible choices.

WV's are certainly not cheap, and are a savings drainer any time you have to fix anything.

The couple grand you might save on the purchase price of a Hyundai is simply just not worth it. If you bought a Hyundai now and also a comparable Honda for 2-3 grand more, five years from now you will be able to sell that Honda for 4-5 grand more than you can sell the Hyundai for.

It would be impossible for anyone to ever convince me it would make sense to buy a new Hyundai instead of the comparable Honda or Toyota model based on quality, reliability, and resale.

Guys I'm single and am looking to hook up with chicks. Looking for some advice. Should I hook up with a fat chick, or a chick who has gonorhea?

Two horrible choices.

WV's are certainly not cheap, and are a savings drainer any time you have to fix anything.

The couple grand you might save on the purchase price of a Hyundai is simply just not worth it. If you bought a Hyundai now and also a comparable Honda for 2-3 grand more, five years from now you will be able to sell that Honda for 4-5 grand more than you can sell the Hyundai for.

It would be impossible for anyone to ever convince me it would make sense to buy a new Hyundai instead of the comparable Honda or Toyota model based on quality, reliability, and resale.
Warranty on Hyundai is nice.

I have an '06 Hyundai with 235k miles on it. Never had a mechanical issue. My only complaint is that the sunvisors both broke, so they don't stay up.

Two horrible choices.

Warranty on Hyundai is nice.
Definitely does not make up for it.

I dont see too many civics blowing engines or transmissions before 100k miles. That 100k warranty over a 60k warranty is nice to have, but not necessary. Maybe you get the 1/10000 civics that blow up, who knows.

I like Hyundai.

We had the Elantra first, got over 200,000.

Then we got the Sonota (2003). Love both.

Like Flying V said, the gas mileage advertised is about 3 mpg higher than what we have gotten.

Test drove a Genesis when we were getting our last car, was very impressed. Only reason we didn't get it is bc they tried to raise the price on us when it was time to sign the paperwork.

Out of the brands mentioned here, in 2015 moving forward I'd rank them pretty close:

Honda/Toyota

Nissan/Hyundai

VW

Kia

I replaced my POS Impala with a Hyundai Sonata in 2013. Been solid at 25k miles. Was looking at Fusion and Sonata and liked the roominess of the Sonata better.

Looking to get a brand new car after my POS Impala. Was looking at either a VW Jetta/Passat or Hyundai Elantra. Nothing fancy, just looking for something relatively cheap. VW runs longer but should have higher repair costs. Any FBGs have either and recommend one? TIA...
Those two things are very closely related. How long a car "runs" is quite often simply when the cost to repair isn't worth it anymore. That rarely happens early in a car's life (though it happened in under 2 years with my SIL's VW Golf), so unless one make will avoid needing repairs at all far longer than another make, repair costs and car life are essentially the same thing.

I don't know of any evidence to suggest that VW's indeed run longer Hyndai's. If there were, I'd assume it being more of a factor of VW owners having more money to burn than Hyundai owners than anything to do with the quality of the make.

Most car brands seem to build good cars these days, so I'd think (outside of some extreme bad luck) the life of a car has more to do with the owner than the car in most situations.

BillyBarooo said:
how about subaru? those things will run forever
+1

I have a 04 wrx with 145k on it. minimal maintenance just oil changes and a timing belt at 120k. car runs like its still new. im hoping it makes it to 300k

+ my area (Virginia) gets some #### weather so AWD is a bonus

I know everyone sticks to the Honda/Toyota matra but I had an Odyssey and the transmission completely blew. I bought a Honda because it's a "honda" and when it ran it was a great van. However, I was shocked when I started looking on the internet at all the transmission problems people were having with the same van. My brother in law also had an Odyssey two years newer and his transmission also went. This was '03 and '05 models, these issues may be worked out, they probably are. I just think people need to make sure theyr'e updating their information and re-checking. Honda has obviously had some issues with these vans, Toyota had their acceleration problems and I believe some serious problems with the Rav 4 for a while.

Manufacturers are always trying to save some money and sometimes they make bad choices and end up with some components with high failure rates. Even Honda and Toyota. If we look at the average, sure they're still very reliable and you can't argue the resale you get from them but it's not as clear cut as you think.

I think Hyundai is actually closing in on Honda and Toyota. They may not have the resale value that they do (yet) but they're making some very reliable cars at an excellent price in comparison. We need a new van/suv of some kind and I'm probably going to look Hyundai first.

I had a VW but it was a mid 80's rabbit, I don't think my experience with a 30 year old car would be of much help. Tons of electrical problems and actually had a wheel fly off on the freeway but it was an old car.

Good luck

We have a 2009 Hyundai Veracruz with about 100K miles and it has been a great car.

It was the precursor to the new, larger Santa Fe.

Kia's are pretty good now, especially since they hired Audi's old chief designer. Take a look and you might be surprised. They are also competitive with the prices.
I come from a VW background and they build good cars, but I also have a Kia Sorrento and have been really impressed. My neighbor has an Optima Hybrid and that is a very nice car as well. So I would also advise you to check out Kia if you haven't already.

I think I've settled on the Hyundai Sonata. I felt like I had more room in the Accord but the Sonata comes with more features at a cheaper price.

I know everyone sticks to the Honda/Toyota matra but I had an Odyssey and the transmission completely blew. I bought a Honda because it's a "honda" and when it ran it was a great van. However, I was shocked when I started looking on the internet at all the transmission problems people were having with the same van. My brother in law also had an Odyssey two years newer and his transmission also went. This was '03 and '05 models, these issues may be worked out, they probably are. I just think people need to make sure theyr'e updating their information and re-checking. Honda has obviously had some issues with these vans, Toyota had their acceleration problems and I believe some serious problems with the Rav 4 for a while.

Manufacturers are always trying to save some money and sometimes they make bad choices and end up with some components with high failure rates. Even Honda and Toyota. If we look at the average, sure they're still very reliable and you can't argue the resale you get from them but it's not as clear cut as you think.

I think Hyundai is actually closing in on Honda and Toyota. They may not have the resale value that they do (yet) but they're making some very reliable cars at an excellent price in comparison. We need a new van/suv of some kind and I'm probably going to look Hyundai first.

I had a VW but it was a mid 80's rabbit, I don't think my experience with a 30 year old car would be of much help. Tons of electrical problems and actually had a wheel fly off on the freeway but it was an old car.

Good luck
When did your odyssey die? I have an '05 with 160K on it and it is running fine (knock on wood!). We'd get a new van, but it is soooo nice to not have a car payment!!

We have a 2009 Hyundai Veracruz with about 100K miles and it has been a great car.

It was the precursor to the new, larger Santa Fe.
We have an 08 Veracruz with about 110,000 miles and it has been great. Only issue started about 10K miles ago - the air conditioning is going out. Other than that, the car has been a rock. Just handed it down to my oldest daughter.

Honda Civic or Accord

Toyota Corolla or Camry

Imo
I couldn't disagree more. Fords have actually outperformed Honda and Toyota for a few years now.

Users who are viewing this thread