What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jaw Dropping Police/Prosecutor Scandals - New one in ALA (1 Viewer)

whoknew

Footballguy
I don't know if we have a general government corruption thread, but this should probably get its own thread anyway. Any southern Californians who know more about this?

Link

In March, Judge Thomas M. Goethals recused the entire office of District Attorney Tony Rackauckas from a murder case “because of repeated government cheating.”

--

Laura Fernandez of Yale Law School, who studies prosecutorial misconduct, says it’s amazing that both the sheriff’s office and the DA’s office worked together to cover up the misconduct: “From my perspective,” she says, “what really sets Orange County apart is the massive cover-up by both law enforcement and prosecutors—a cover-up that appears to have risen to the level of perjury and obstruction of justice. Law enforcement officers and prosecutors in Orange County have gone to such lengths to conceal their wide-ranging misconduct that they have effectively turned the criminal justice system on its head: dismissing charges and reducing sentences in extraordinarily serious cases, utterly failing to investigate unsolved crimes and many murders (by informants — in order to prevent that evidence from ever getting to defense lawyers), while simultaneously pushing forward where it would seem to make no sense (except that it conceals more bad acts by the state), as in the case of an innocent 14-year old boy who was wrongfully detained for two years.”

--

For a quarter of a century, the Orange County Sheriff’s Department (OCSD) operated one of the nation’s longest frauds on the criminal-justice system through a secret, computerized records system called TRED.

The few TRED records that have been pried free are a treasure trove of exculpatory evidence hidden from trials that resulted in prosecution victories over hoodwinked defendants. The records also clearly reveal that Southern California law-enforcement officials run a jailhouse-informant program that habitually tramples the constitutional rights of pretrial defendants.

With the aid of the county counsel’s office, OCSD officials employed exaggerations, half-truths, circular logic and legally inane gobbledy#### to keep judges, juries and defense lawyers clueless about TRED since 1990. They’ve even been willing to tell fibs under oath in a death-penalty case.

--

It’s far too late for that now. This isn’t a case of a few bad actors. This is systematic corruption involving dozens of police officers and prosecutors that went on for well over two decades. At a minimum, there should be mass firings of cops and disbarments of prosecutors, past and present. A system that still retained some integrity would also have the worst offenders in handcuffs.

Last edited by a moderator:
That account seemed just a bit slanted towards the criminal defense side of things. It looks like a huge p1ssing match between the DA and a judge.

We're quite proud of our corruption in OC (By the way nobody here refers to it as "The OC"- so lame.) We've never quite reached the level of nearby Bell, and compared to places like New Orleans and Jersey City we're pristine, but it's all about the effort.

That account seemed just a bit slanted towards the criminal defense side of things. It looks like a huge p1ssing match between the DA and a judge.
The defense attorney and judge catching law enforcement and prosecutors lying under oath to hide clearly unethical behavior sort of goes beyond a "huge pissing match."

The defense attorney and judge catching law enforcement and prosecutors lying under oath to hide clearly unethical behavior sort of goes beyond a "huge pissing match."
Right. Having a secret database full of exculpatory evidence that was not disclosed seems ... bad.

If this was your main takeaway from reading that, then I suspect your brain has been deprived of oxygen for an extended period at some point in the past. I suggest seeking medical treatment to see if anything can be done.

timschochet said:
We're quite proud of our corruption in OC (By the way nobody here refers to it as "The OC"- so lame.) We've never quite reached the level of nearby Bell, and compared to places like New Orleans and Jersey City we're pristine, but it's all about the effort.
Really? Oh damn I better stop if Im the only one...

timschochet said:
This reminds me of Hillary saying she was very disappointed in her friend, Trump. Can we get so more detail and outrage here Tim?What happened and why is it wrong?

timschochet said:
This reminds me of Hilkary saying she was very disappointed in her friend, Trump. Can we get so more detail and outrage here Tim?

What happened and why is it wrong?
I have no idea. First time I've heard of it. I scanned the Register this morning and didn't see it (though I don't read the Local section.)

Wait. Your local press is not covering this? Any local blogs on it? The LAT?
I dunno. Like I said, I haven't been following the local news lately.

But my dad follows it religiously, reads the Register and Times every morning from cover to cover, and I asked him today about it and he didn't seem to know anything.

LA Times oped:

Editorial O.C. Dist. Atty. Tony Rackauckas should halt filings against judgeKudos to the Orange County Superior Court judge who uncovered a long-standing pattern of misconduct in the district attorney’s office — so “sadly negligent,” according to the judge, that he took the extraordinary step of kicking the D.A.’s office off the case of the county’s highest-profile killer.

The misuse of paid jailhouse informants and the withholding of evidence by prosecutors who should have handed it over to defense attorneys had already led to reduced sentences for some convicted criminals. Now, Dist. Atty. Tony Rackauckas and his staff have been removed from the death penalty phase of the trial for a former tugboat captain who pleaded guilty to gunning down eight people in a Seal Beach beauty salon. The case was assigned instead to the state attorney general.

Rackauckas had that coming. The “chronic failure” of his office to turn over evidence, despite repeated orders to do so, tainted his ability to oversee the death penalty trial. To his credit, Rackauckas has admitted that his office erred, according to a report in the Orange County Register, though he has downplayed the seriousness of the offenses. Sheriff Sandra Hutchens similarly conceded the misuse of jailhouse informants. Meanwhile, at Rackauckas' request, state Atty. Gen. Kamala D. Harris has begun an investigation of the judge’s complaints, but she also has appealed the Superior Court ruling, saying that local prosecutors should continue to handle the death-penalty phase.

Judge Thomas Goethals has recently been targeted by prosecutors in Rackauckas' office who have filed paperwork to have him disqualified from their cases. -
The last person who should be feeling any fallout from this is the judge himself. Yet Judge Thomas Goethals has recently been targeted by prosecutors in Rackauckas’ office who have filed paperwork to have him disqualified from their cases. Such filings are perfectly legal, originally intended to keep a case out of the hands of a judge who might be prejudiced, and no reason for doing so is required, making the process vulnerable to abuse. When it is done en masse, it’s called “papering the judge,” and it is at times intended to force a judge out of hearing criminal cases altogether and into civil trials.

The D.A.’s office says it’s not behind any purposeful effort to paper Goethals. But the actions against him sure quack and waddle like a vengeful duck. Over three years, 2011 to 2013, prosecutors filed such paperwork against him a total of five times. Since February 2014, when Goethals opened up a broad hearing into prosecutors’ actions, he has been papered 57 times.

This is ridiculous, a petty slur by prosecutors whose office was obviously in the wrong on repeated occasions.

Rackauckas deserves credit for requesting a state investigation, but he also should denounce the papering of the judge, both publicly and to the prosecutors who work for him. He should direct them not to seek Goethal’s disqualification unless they have a specific reason for doing so that pertains to the case in question, and he should require them to make the case to him first.
http://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-rackauckas-20150322-story.html

I dunno. Like I said, I haven't been following the local news lately.

But my dad follows it religiously, reads the Register and Times every morning from cover to cover, and I asked him today about it and he didn't seem to know anything.
Try the OC Weekly.

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/2015/03/seal_beach_salon_massacre.php#more

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/oc_snitch_scandal/

This has been in the OC Register off and on for a few months now. They have an extensive government watchdog section so this isn't the only story that's been covered.

Also, I'd like to request that the FFA not consider Tim as the representative for Orange County.

This has been in the OC Register off and on for a few months now. They have an extensive government watchdog section so this isn't the only story that's been covered.
Also, I'd like to request that the FFA not consider Tim as the representative for Orange County.
:lmao:
Sorry, I inadvertently left out "only" above. Ya, I realize it changes the meaning of the sentence. I'll correct it in my original post.

ETA: Also, I don't know if the :lmao: was directed at the OC Register or Orange County. The local paper is quite good, although many on the left will never give it the time of day for its historical libertarian leanings. As for the earlier comments in the thread that corruption is rampant in Orange County, I won't say that it's a perfect place, but I will say that the governance here is still markedly better than in other places I've lived (Western NY, DC and NYC)... not to mention other major metropolitan markets (i.e., LA, Chicago, etc.).

Kosinski touches on this in a the article discussed in the 9th Circuit thread. Shameful, but unfortunately too common to be "jaw dropping."
It would be even better if in between your self-assuredness about The Law that you knew how to ####### spell his name. Seems important. Color me concerned about your in-depth knowledge of a judge whose name you can't ####### spell. Thanks.

Sorry, I inadvertently left out "only" above. Ya, I realize it changes the meaning of the sentence. I'll correct it in my original post.

ETA: Also, I don't know if the :lmao: was directed at the OC Register or Orange County. The local paper is quite good, although many on the left will never give it the time of day for its historical libertarian leanings. As for the earlier comments in the thread that corruption is rampant in Orange County, I won't say that it's a perfect place, but I will say that the governance here is still markedly better than in other places I've lived (Western NY, DC and NYC)... not to mention other major metropolitan markets (i.e., LA, Chicago, etc.).
Now imagine the if the population percentage of African Americans rivaled those other cities you mention.

Scooby has a lunatic stalker :lmao:
Actually, dude has stalked me and chimed in about me much more than I ever would have even thought. A few weeks ago, he went on a hoary and hortatory rant about one of my posts. Was extra concerned I'd passed the bar. Cause I don't really go after somebody until it's done to me or others several times. Oh well. :shrugs:Also, I got his delete text in my inbox. If he's in the middle of "not taking me seriously," I'll be thrilled and suggest he use the time otherwise spent on me learning how to spell basic logical fallacies, familiarizing himself with jurists that I learned about many years ago (jurists whose name he's obviously having trouble with), and tapping a bit into basic political philosophy.

Now imagine the if the population percentage of African Americans rivaled those other cities you mention.
What's your point?

OC is awesome in so many ways but every time I'm there I feel like a prole surrounded by members of the Inner Party. The creepy big brotherness definitely extends to law enforcement. You look around and know you better toe the line, anything else will not be tolerated, your voice will not be heard, punishment will be swift.

More police chicanery - this time in Baltimore.

Police security track cellphones to solve routine crimes.

Its a long article so I won't post the entire thing but:

BALTIMORE — The crime itself was ordinary: Someone smashed the back window of a parked car one evening and ran off with a cellphone. What was unusual was how the police hunted the thief.

Detectives did it by secretly using one of the government’s most powerful phone surveillance tools — capable of intercepting data from hundreds of people’s cellphones at a time — to track the phone, and with it their suspect, to the doorway of a public housing complex. They used it to search for a car thief, too. And a woman who made a string of harassing phone calls.

In one case after another, USA TODAY found police in Baltimore and other cities used the phone tracker, commonly known as a stingray, to locate the perpetrators of routine street crimes and frequently concealed that fact from the suspects, their lawyers and even judges. In the process, they quietly transformed a form of surveillance billed as a tool to hunt terrorists and kidnappers into a staple of everyday policing.

--

The records show that the city's police used stingrays to catch everyone from killers to petty thieves, that the authorities regularly hid or obscured that surveillance once suspects got to court and that many of those they arrested were never prosecuted.

Defense attorneys assigned to many of those cases said they did not know a stingray had been used until USA TODAY contacted them, even though state law requires that they be told about electronic surveillance.

I don't know if we have a general government corruption thread, but this should probably get its own thread anyway. Any southern Californians who know more about this?

Link

In March, Judge Thomas M. Goethals recused the entire office of District Attorney Tony Rackauckas from a murder case “because of repeated government cheating.”

--

Laura Fernandez of Yale Law School, who studies prosecutorial misconduct, says it’s amazing that both the sheriff’s office and the DA’s office worked together to cover up the misconduct: “From my perspective,” she says, “what really sets Orange County apart is the massive cover-up by both law enforcement and prosecutors—a cover-up that appears to have risen to the level of perjury and obstruction of justice. Law enforcement officers and prosecutors in Orange County have gone to such lengths to conceal their wide-ranging misconduct that they have effectively turned the criminal justice system on its head: dismissing charges and reducing sentences in extraordinarily serious cases, utterly failing to investigate unsolved crimes and many murders (by informants — in order to prevent that evidence from ever getting to defense lawyers), while simultaneously pushing forward where it would seem to make no sense (except that it conceals more bad acts by the state), as in the case of an innocent 14-year old boy who was wrongfully detained for two years.”

--

For a quarter of a century, the Orange County Sheriff’s Department (OCSD) operated one of the nation’s longest frauds on the criminal-justice system through a secret, computerized records system called TRED.

The few TRED records that have been pried free are a treasure trove of exculpatory evidence hidden from trials that resulted in prosecution victories over hoodwinked defendants. The records also clearly reveal that Southern California law-enforcement officials run a jailhouse-informant program that habitually tramples the constitutional rights of pretrial defendants.

With the aid of the county counsel’s office, OCSD officials employed exaggerations, half-truths, circular logic and legally inane gobbledy#### to keep judges, juries and defense lawyers clueless about TRED since 1990. They’ve even been willing to tell fibs under oath in a death-penalty case.

--

It’s far too late for that now. This isn’t a case of a few bad actors. This is systematic corruption involving dozens of police officers and prosecutors that went on for well over two decades. At a minimum, there should be mass firings of cops and disbarments of prosecutors, past and present. A system that still retained some integrity would also have the worst offenders in handcuffs.
What was their incentive?

Civil asset forfeiture laws are terrible (its hard to believe they are constitutional). They also incentivize police forces in a terrible way and lead to tons of abuses. This example is just one of many. They need to be repealed.

Link

Previous ImageEnlargeNext Image
1 / 2
TULSA, Oklahoma -A Creek County couple says they’re victims of an Oklahoma law that allows law enforcement to take your property even if you aren’t convicted of a crime. A state legislator is working to change the law.

The Goss family says in March 2012, Creek County Sheriff's Deputies came to their home, took their property and arrested them for drugs they didn't have.

Their charges eventually were dropped due to lack of evidence, but the couple says the incident ruined their lives and cost them more than just their property.

Linda Goss, 62, says she and her husband never have done illegal drugs in their lives. Imagine her surprise when deputies searched their home and arrested them, claiming they had meth.

"The officer in charge said, ‘That's high-grade meth right there,’” she said. “I believed him, I didn't know any better."

The deputies took her husband's firearms, fishing boat and truck, which is legal under the state's civil asset forfeiture system. The Gosses then spent three days in jail.

"Right before we were arrested, the arresting officer said, ‘do you own this truck?’ I said ‘yes we do,’ and he said, ‘it's good. I'm taking it.’"

[SIZE=1pc]After coming up with $10, 000 for bond. The Gosses learned the whole thing had been a mistake. Their lawsuit claims the address on the deputies' search warrant was wrong.[/SIZE]

"The lawyers went back to court and said, ‘you raided the wrong house. You raided the wrong house. They were innocent,” she said.

The charges were dropped as prosecutors couldn't find enough evidence to support them. The lawsuit says that tests showed there were no illegal drugs in their home.

"The results came back on that, and that was negative,” Goss said. “There was no drugs in the baggie. We took hair follicle tests, those came back negative."

But it didn't stop there.

The Gosses lost their truck because they couldn't afford the impounding fees. They got their boat back but claim it was so damaged it wouldn't float.

Goss says she's in favor of changing the law, because this ordeal turned her life upside down.

"It stuns me,” she said. “It, it stuns me. I mean, at least they ought to find out if they're really innocent or not."

The Gosses lost their case in Tulsa federal court but appealed it to the 10th circuit court in Colorado.

[SIZE=1pc]We called the Creek County Board of Commissioners and the District Attorney's Office for comment but neither have returned our messages at this time.[/SIZE]

I thought this read Jaw dropping sandals. I was looking to see a judge wearing sandals with socks under his robes.

This seems like the most logical thread to post this ridiculousness in:

Report: Hacked jail phone records show 14,000 calls to lawyers were taped

An analysis of a massive trove of phone records from a major provider of prison and jail services found at least 14,000 taped calls between inmates and attorneys, The Intercept reports.

Its review of the purported Securus Technologies records–which were sent to the Intercept by an anonymous hacker–raises questions about potential violations of attorney-client privilege, The Intercept says. The Intercept, which is an online magazine launched last year by Glenn Greenwald, Laura Poitras and Jeremy Scahill, reviewed the roughly 70 million phone records with the help of database software.

At least 800 of the numbers called were law firm offices, and the publication claims that the actual number of attorney-client calls was likely higher because attorney cellphone numbers weren’t readily identifiable. The records concerned phone calls made between December 2011 and spring 2014 in dozens of states.

The article also notes that the availability of the hacked information—which includes not only phone numbers and inmate identities but links to actual recordings of the calls—raises security and privacy concerns.

“This may be the most massive breach of the attorney-client privilege in modern U.S. history, and that’s certainly something to be concerned about,” said director David Fathi of the American Civil Liberties Union’s National Prison Project. “A lot of prisoner rights are limited because of their conviction and incarceration, but their protection by the attorney-client privilege is not.”

Although recording jail phone calls from inmates is standard practice, procedures are supposed to provide for excluding attorney-client privileged calls. Arrangements to do so, however, generally must be made in advance, by giving lawyers’ phone numbers to those administering the phone-call-recording project at issue, The Intercept notes. Hence, it isn’t clear whether recorded calls represent a failure to block recording of calls to known attorney numbers or a lack of notification.

A spokesman for Securus did not immediately respond to a Wednesday phone message from the ABA Journal.

An analysis of a massive trove of phone records from a major provider of prison and jail services found at least 14,000 taped calls between inmates and attorneys, The Intercept reports.

Its review of the purported Securus Technologies recordswhich were sent to the Intercept by an anonymous hackerraises questions about potential violations of attorney-client privilege, The Intercept says. The Intercept, which is an online magazine launched last year by Glenn Greenwald, Laura Poitras and Jeremy Scahill, reviewed the roughly 70 million phone records with the help of database software.

At least 800 of the numbers called were law firm offices, and the publication claims that the actual number of attorney-client calls was likely higher because attorney cellphone numbers werent readily identifiable. The records concerned phone calls made between December 2011 and spring 2014 in dozens of states.

The article also notes that the availability of the hacked informationwhich includes not only phone numbers and inmate identities but links to actual recordings of the callsraises security and privacy concerns.

This may be the most massive breach of the attorney-client privilege in modern U.S. history, and thats certainly something to be concerned about, said director David Fathi of the American Civil Liberties Unions National Prison Project. A lot of prisoner rights are limited because of their conviction and incarceration, but their protection by the attorney-client privilege is not.

Although recording jail phone calls from inmates is standard practice, procedures are supposed to provide for excluding attorney-client privileged calls. Arrangements to do so, however, generally must be made in advance, by giving lawyers phone numbers to those administering the phone-call-recording project at issue, The Intercept notes. Hence, it isnt clear whether recorded calls represent a failure to block recording of calls to known attorney numbers or a lack of notification.

A spokesman for Securus did not immediately respond to a Wednesday phone message from the ABA Journal.
Who cares? I don't.

Its review of the purported Securus Technologies recordswhich were sent to the Intercept by an anonymous hackerraises questions about potential violations of attorney-client privilege, The Intercept says. The Intercept, which is an online magazine launched last year by Glenn Greenwald, Laura Poitras and Jeremy Scahill, reviewed the roughly 70 million phone records with the help of database software.

At least 800 of the numbers called were law firm offices, and the publication claims that the actual number of attorney-client calls was likely higher because attorney cellphone numbers werent readily identifiable. The records concerned phone calls made between December 2011 and spring 2014 in dozens of states.

The article also notes that the availability of the hacked informationwhich includes not only phone numbers and inmate identities but links to actual recordings of the callsraises security and privacy concerns.

This may be the most massive breach of the attorney-client privilege in modern U.S. history, and thats certainly something to be concerned about, said director David Fathi of the American Civil Liberties Unions National Prison Project. A lot of prisoner rights are limited because of their conviction and incarceration, but their protection by the attorney-client privilege is not.

Although recording jail phone calls from inmates is standard practice, procedures are supposed to provide for excluding attorney-client privileged calls. Arrangements to do so, however, generally must be made in advance, by giving lawyers phone numbers to those administering the phone-call-recording project at issue, The Intercept notes. Hence, it isnt clear whether recorded calls represent a failure to block recording of calls to known attorney numbers or a lack of notification.

Who cares? I don't.

Alabama Police Department planted evidence on black suspects.

HUNDREDS OF CASES PROSECUTED WITH PLANTED EVIDENCE, MANY WRONGLY CONVICTED STILL IN PRISONThe Alabama Justice Project has obtained documents that reveal a Dothan Police Department’s Internal Affairs investigation was covered up by the district attorney. A group of up to a dozen police officers on a specialized narcotics team were found to have planted drugs and weapons on young black men for years. They were supervised at the time by Lt. Steve Parrish, current Dothan Police Chief, and Sgt. Andy Hughes, current Asst. Director of Homeland Security for the State of Alabama. All of the officers reportedly were members of a Neoconfederate organization that the Southern Poverty Law Center labels “racial extremists.” The group has advocated for blacks to return to Africa, published that the civil rights movement is really a Jewish conspiracy, and that blacks have lower IQ’s . Both Parrish and Hughes held leadership positions in the group and are pictured above holding a confederate battle flag at one of the club’s secret meetings.

--

The group of officers requested they be granted anonymity, and shared hundreds of files from the Internal Affairs Division. They reveal a pattern of criminal behavior from within the highest levels of the Dothan Police Department and the district attorney’s office in the 20th Judicial District of Alabama. Multiple current and former officers have agreed to testify if United States Attorney General Loretta Lynch appoints a special prosecutor from outside the state of Alabama, or before a Congressional hearing. The officers believe that there are currently nearly a thousand wrongful convictions resulting in felonies from the 20th Judicial District that are tied to planted drugs and weapons and question whether a system that allows this can be allowed to continue to operate.

Users who are viewing this thread