What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Visiting Seattle (1 Viewer)

berndog

Footballguy
[SIZE=medium]I am reaching out to the FFA for some help on things to do in Seattle and NW Oregon. I’d love to hear your insights on the area but particularly interested in [/SIZE]

• [SIZE=medium]dispensaries[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]breweries[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]music[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]restaurants [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]day hikes [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]any can’t miss attractions/sites [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]If you’re still reading here are some details on the trip[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I am headed to Seattle in mid-September with my wife. She will be working Thursday-Sunday and we will have from Sunday afternoon thru Tuesday night to do as we please. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I will have all day Friday, Saturday to myself. I know we want see Chihuly gardens, Pikes Market, and the Space Needle and will try to do that on Friday and Saturday night. On Sunday we are considering driving down the coast into Oregon and staying at Cannon Beach. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Serious advice and schtick are welcome and appreciated. [/SIZE]

Ballard for drinking beer and walking around. There are a ton of places within a mile or so walk. There are also many good places to eat. That neighborhood is about 15 minutes north of the Space Needle.

Uber is great for getting around town if you don't have a car.

Capitol Hill is another area closer to downtown that is walkable and has a ton of good food and bars.

Day hikes just depends on where you will be and how much time you will have.

Driving to Cannon Beach will take a lot of your time up but is nice. Taking a ferry from Seattle to the Olympic Pennisula is another option that gets you out of city and will take a little less time and is a cool thing to do.

FYI re: Pike Place Market

General Market Hours

Breakfast: 6 am
Fresh Produce & Seafood: 7 am
Official Market Bell: 9 am
Crafts Market: 10 am-4 pm
Merchant Hours: 10 am-6 pm
Restaurants: 6 am-1:30 am; varies

If you're planning on Pike Place Market you'd want to visit during Merchant Hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Brouwer's, which while not a brewery, has a great selection, fantastic food, and is in a great walking area (Fremont) with lots of other cool places to go including Fremont Brewing, which is probably the best brewery to visit in Seattle. Pike Brewery right at Pike Place is also a great choice. I second the recommendation of Ballard (my old neighborhood) to go to as well, along with the Olympic peninsula (my new neighborhood) for a billion types of nature to see.

I'm your huckleberry in terms of day hike suggestions but would need info on what you're looking for in terms of difficulty, vistas (lakes v summits v waterfalls v other), etc.

Also would need more info about your preferences in order to recommend music venues or restaurants.

I was just in Seattle last weekend. We had an amazing trip. Here are some of the things that we did over the weekend based on our Yelp research:

Pike Place Market (really fun to walk around, try samples, watch the fish-throwing, and buy local artisan goods)

Pike Place Chowder (amazing clam and scallop chowders @ Pike Place Market)

Piroshky Piroshky Russian bakery (great Russian stuffed pastries @ Pike Place Market)

Beecher's Handmade Cheese shop (cool little artisan cheese shop @ Pike Place Market)

Let's Go Sailing sailing charter (really fun and relaxing sailing trip in the bay with incredible views of downtown Seattle/Space Needle; you can bring your own beer and food; the hosts were really cool)

Chuck's Hop Shop (great brewpub/bottle shop; went to a sour beer festival here with 30 different sour beers)

Fremont Brewery (one of the highest rated/recommended breweries in Seattle)

Beer Junction (great brewpub/bottle shop with a fantastic selection in West Seattle)

Bakery Nouveau (delicious pastries; I recommend the sugar brioche and twice baked chocolate croissant)

Damn the Weather (cool late night gastropub-style place that serves really good food until 2 AM)

CenturyLink and Safeco Fields (our hotel was right next to here, so we walked around the stadiums and went to a Manchester United v. Club America game at CenturyLink)

Yeah, Chuck's Hop Shop is great. There's one just on the edge of Ballard (85th & 8th) that was our regular hangout, and you could hit it if you're in the area.

Krista knows the hikes, that's for sure. She has a spreadsheet and everything.

Pike Place Market and ferry ride are great suggestions.

I concur with the thought that driving down to Cannon Beach would not be the greatest use of your time, but YMMV. If you want to do a road trip to see the area outside of Seattle, I would suggest the North Cascades Highway. You can do the full Cascade Loop (which is a long ### way and you would probably want to stay overnight somewhere East of the mountains), or just a portion. http://www.cascadeloop.com/ The North Cascades National Park is amazing and worth the trip, even if you don't ever get out of the car. http://www.nps.gov/noca/index.htm

I also agree with Krista about Brouwer's; great place if you like beer and Belgian food (and perhaps heavy metal).

I was just in Seattle last weekend. We had an amazing trip. Here are some of the things that we did over the weekend based on our Yelp research:

Pike Place Market (really fun to walk around, try samples, watch the fish-throwing, and buy local artisan goods)

Piroshky Piroshky Russian bakery (great Russian stuffed pastries @ Pike Place Market)

Beecher's Handmade Cheese shop (cool little artisan cheese shop @ Pike Place Market)

Let's Go Sailing sailing charter (really fun and relaxing sailing trip in the bay with incredible views of downtown Seattle/Space Needle; you can bring your own beer and food; the hosts were really cool)

Chuck's Hop Shop (great brewpub/bottle shop; went to a sour beer festival here with 30 different sour beers)

Beer Junction (great brewpub/bottle shop with a fantastic selection in West Seattle)

Bakery Nouveau (delicious pastries; I recommend the sugar brioche and twice baked chocolate croissant)

Damn the Weather (cool late night gastropub-style place that serves really good food until 2 AM)

CenturyLink and Safeco Fields (our hotel was right next to here, so we walked around the stadiums and went to a Manchester United v. Club America game at CenturyLink)
A bit out of the way from downtown Seattle but just a few minutes from my house - love this place. Not much to look at but great beer.

For Beer places in Ballard: Reubens, Hilliards, NW Peaks, are all great. There are probably 5 more all within walking distance. Pono Ranch is a great place to hang outside if weather is good.

There are a ton of different places to eat in the Ballard area.

If you do go there the Ballard Locks or Golden Gardens Park are also really close and are pretty cool place to take kids as well.

This is a pretty great list of stuff. The Market stuff listed at the beginning are all good spots to hit. Original Starbucks location and the guys throwing the fish are right there as well if you want to knock those off the list.

West Seattle is another good option mentioned. Can take a passenger ferry from near the Market to West Seattle. Short ride over to great place to eat where the ferry lets off called Marination Ma Kai. Not a huge time commitment and you get to see city from the water.

This is a pretty great list of stuff. The Market stuff listed at the beginning are all good spots to hit. Original Starbucks location and the guys throwing the fish are right there as well if you want to knock those off the list.

West Seattle is another good option mentioned. Can take a passenger ferry from near the Market to West Seattle. Short ride over to great place to eat where the ferry lets off called Marination Ma Kai. Not a huge time commitment and you get to see city from the water.
Good call. Asian "fusion" food is probably more distinctly Seattle than just about anything else you can eat. And the view from this place is amazing.

There have been several other Seattle threads in the past. The search function does suck, but you'll find those threads if you search for "Seattle" in FFA thread titles only.

Probably the best day hike is Rattlesnake, close to Seattle, great views, not too difficult, no discovery pass needed. For to all those reasons, it does get very crowded, even more so on weekends. Good people and dog watching.

Go past the lower ledge to the middle and upper ledges to escape the throngs. I would also recommend an early start to beat the crowds.

http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/rattle-snake-ledge

Probably the best day hike is Rattlesnake, close to Seattle, great views, not too difficult, no discovery pass needed. For to all those reasons, it does get very crowded, even more so on weekends. Good people and dog watching.

Go past the lower ledge to the middle and upper ledges to escape the throngs. I would also recommend an early start to beat the crowds.

http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/rattle-snake-ledge
It is a nice hike, but way, way too crowded.

There are lots of other hikes that are equally close and less crowded, but still awesome.

There's a phrase in one of my hiking groups: "Friends don't let friends hike Rattlesnake." But if the OP wanted an easy hike (he never responded to that question), I would suggest second ledge at Rattlesnake too if they can go on a non-weekend. When we lived in Ballard we did this one frequently as a quick before-work hike, and if you get there early on a weekday morning it's not bad, and once you get past the first ledge you lose 95% of the crowd (I don't find the third ledge or the peak worthwhile, though). My other suggestion for an easy, convenient to the city hike would be Little Si. Still crowded but not quite as much so, and with equally great views.

If he wants something that's not easy and therefore doesn't have teeming hordes, I have better suggestions, though frankly most of the hikes in that I-90 corridor are crowded.

Krista knows the hikes, that's for sure. She has a spreadsheet and everything.

Pike Place Market and ferry ride are great suggestions.

I concur with the thought that driving down to Cannon Beach would not be the greatest use of your time, but YMMV. If you want to do a road trip to see the area outside of Seattle, I would suggest the North Cascades Highway. You can do the full Cascade Loop (which is a long ### way and you would probably want to stay overnight somewhere East of the mountains), or just a portion. http://www.cascadeloop.com/ The North Cascades National Park is amazing and worth the trip, even if you don't ever get out of the car. http://www.nps.gov/noca/index.htm

I also agree with Krista about Brouwer's; great place if you like beer and Belgian food (and perhaps heavy metal).
I'd also skip the trip to Oregon and do either the North Cascades, the Olympics, or even the Mountain Loop or Stevens Pass areas.

Also wanted to second the Ballard Locks idea someone else had. Every person I've taken there found that fascinating. Must see the salmon ladder while there.

I know I'm not making, my case.... but here was the last 1/3 mile on the way back to the trailhead in 2013. :lol:

However If you start early (I think I was at the trail head at 7 ish on a Sunday) there are very few people. You can continue to East Peak if you want to take a longer hike. Otherwise sit on the lower ledge and have a snack or a picnic (or a drink) until it fills up and then go to middle and upper ledge or continue along the trail further.

I know I'm not making, my case.... but here was the last 1/3 mile on the way back to the trailhead in 2013. :lol:

However If you start early (I think I was at the trail head at 7 ish on a Sunday) there are very few people. You can continue to East Peak if you want to take a longer hike. Otherwise sit on the lower ledge and have a snack or a picnic (or a drink) until it fills up and then go to middle and upper ledge or continue along the trail further.
Yep, that's awful. And it's become even worse this year for whatever reason. (That's what I hear--I haven't been to Rattlesnake this year but all the trails are generally more crowded everywhere.)

There really is no reason to continue to East Peak. There are no views and a big ugly radio(?) tower. If he wants to hit a peak in the I-90 area, Bandera or Washington would be 1000x better options in the "moderate" category, or Granite, Defiance, Tenneriffe or Mailbox in the "difficult" category. I think Washington is a little gem--not horribly difficult, great views, and for some reason much less crowded than the usual I-90 hikes. My favorite peak in that corridor is Granite, though.

You'll note I didn't mention Mount Si, which I think sucks.

Yikes. I hate really crowded hikes, as I feel like it takes away one of the major benefits of hiking, which is just getting away on a quiet, peaceful, relaxing escape into nature.

I appreciate all the help so far and hope someone can help me with these questions

• How is the public transportation? I'm one of the few people without a smart phone so uber is not an option.
  • Any recomendations for Tapas/Small plate restaurants?
  • I would like to visit a pot dispensary so any insight on those would be great.
  • Any disc golfers in the area want to throw a round with me?

I appreciate all the help so far and hope someone can help me with these questions

• How is the public transportation? I'm one of the few people without a smart phone so uber is not an option.
  • I would like to visit a pot dispensary so any insight on those would be great.
There isn't really an integrated public transportation system here, other than the buses. There is a light rail, a monorail and a trolley system, but they all run in different areas. Depending on where you are staying, that might or might not be a problem. Uber is a far better option than using cabs in and around Seattle -> You might consider getting a smart phone before the trip.

Tapas:

Pintxo ($$)

Ocho ($$)

Harvest Vine ($$$)

They are not called dispensaries here, they are just retail stores. I have been to two, neither within the City of Seattle. The first one I went to was sketchy and was pretty shortly after the stores opened, the selection sucked and prices were astronomical (like $30+/gram). Since that time, the amount of producers and the volume of legal production has far outpaced the growth of retail outlets, resulting in significantly reduced prices. Though with the high tax they still aren't super cheap. Here is a page which lists the stores in Seattle.

Victoria, BC and Butchart Gardens is a pretty cool day trip. May be something the wife would like to tag along for though (particularly the Gardens).

Don Quixote said:
Victoria, BC and Butchart Gardens is a pretty cool day trip. May be something the wife would like to tag along for though (particularly the Gardens).
Victoria is great and not very far away as the crow flies, but pretty difficult to get to in reality.

The only ways to get there and have it in any way resemble a "day trip" is to take the Victoria Clipper hydrofoil (3 hours each way and hydrofoils aren't as cools as they looked on Johnny Quest) or to take a Kenmore Air float plane (45 minutes). The latter is a blast and highly recommended, but not cheap. All the other options involve driving a long way and taking a long ### ferry ride. Minimum time elapsed (one way) on any of those other routes is 5 hours.

Don Quixote said:
Victoria is great and not very far away as the crow flies, but pretty difficult to get to in reality.

The only ways to get there and have it in any way resemble a "day trip" is to take the Victoria Clipper hydrofoil (3 hours each way and hydrofoils aren't as cools as they looked on Johnny Quest) or to take a Kenmore Air float plane (45 minutes). The latter is a blast and highly recommended, but not cheap. All the other options involve driving a long way and taking a long ### ferry ride. Minimum time elapsed (one way) on any of those other routes is 5 hours.
Yeah, I probably should have mentioned that it's a long day. My round trip was about 14 hours.

Ill be there next year before our alaskan cruise.

When you say hikes, are we talking big mountains or reasonable hills. Ill be there with a 9 @ 6 year old who are both athletes.

Krista, any web sites you can share on trails. This sounds like something different for us and sounds like hiking in seattle is a thing

When you say hikes, are we talking big mountains or reasonable hills. Ill be there with a 9 @ 6 year old who are both athletes.

Krista, any web sites you can share on trails. This sounds like something different for us and sounds like hiking in seattle is a thing
Best website to scout out hikes, trip reports, etc. is the Washington Trails Association. To say hiking is a thing here is an understatement; it's one of the best things about the area and people in this area are extremely active, whether hiking, climbing, kayaking, etc.

You can do pretty much whatever you want, from big mountains to...well, smaller mountains. The smaller or even medium-sized mountains can be doable with the kids, or one of the many, many beautiful lake and/or waterfall hikes. I've seen six-year-olds do Mailbox Peak, which is one of the harder non-technical hikes in the area. A lot of times they can do the hikes with scrambles better than the adults.

If you give me an idea of what you're looking for before you come, I can give you a bunch of suggestions. :thumbup:

ETA: We're planning to take my mom and stepfather on an Alaskan trip next year, and I'd love any suggestions you have on that. :)

Awesome, thanks.

Our cruise is in August 2016. If I go before you, I'll share anything ive got

If you go to Cannon Beach stop off in Astoria and then take the 101 instead of I-5 for a scenic drive.

Astoria is a small costal town where they filmed Goonies, Free Willey, and a ton of other movies. Check out the Astoria Column, Fort George Brewery, and other local attractions. Voted #5 best small city in America.

http://www.astoriaoregon.com/

Best website to scout out hikes, trip reports, etc. is the Washington Trails Association. To say hiking is a thing here is an understatement; it's one of the best things about the area and people in this area are extremely active, whether hiking, climbing, kayaking, etc.

You can do pretty much whatever you want, from big mountains to...well, smaller mountains. The smaller or even medium-sized mountains can be doable with the kids, or one of the many, many beautiful lake and/or waterfall hikes. I've seen six-year-olds do Mailbox Peak, which is one of the harder non-technical hikes in the area. A lot of times they can do the hikes with scrambles better than the adults.

If you give me an idea of what you're looking for before you come, I can give you a bunch of suggestions. :thumbup:

ETA: We're planning to take my mom and stepfather on an Alaskan trip next year, and I'd love any suggestions you have on that. :)
I just got back from an Alaskan cruise a couple of weeks ago, and can help with tips (maybe it is a different thread though). I did a cruisetour with Holland America that started in Fairbanks (with a stop in Denali) and then cruised from Seward to Vancouver. Pretty awesome. I posted a few of my pics in the "digital camera pic of the day" thread.

I just got back from an Alaskan cruise a couple of weeks ago, and can help with tips (maybe it is a different thread though). I did a cruisetour with Holland America that started in Fairbanks (with a stop in Denali) and then cruised from Seward to Vancouver. Pretty awesome. I posted a few of my pics in the "digital camera pic of the day" thread.
Yeah, I won't hijack this thread but would love your thoughts. Denali is an absolute must for us, so am glad to see you hit there, too. I'll send you a PM and will also check out the pics thread. Thank you!

Cannabus Shuttle

leaves every 20 minutes

free shuttle to legal pot

if you are in West Seattle Phoenicia on Alki has pretty good tapas / small pizza menu - not the best in the city but the location and atmosphere are hard to beat. If it's nice WEEKDAY spend the day at Alki beach and do Blue Moon Burgers for lunch and Phoenicia for dinner - don't do this on a weekend. If you're looking for a beach on the weekend, I'd probably go to Lincoln park (also in West Seattle). There are so many better restaurants in downtown Seattle though so I only recommend these if you're wanting a summer beach vibe.

You can find live music all over the city but the most venues where you could walk between would definitely be on Capitol Hill. It tends to be on the younger side though, Georgetown has a cool older vibe for music / pubs and is home to Georgetown Brewery - not a great brewery experience but very good beer. As mentioned above Ballard or Fremont might be the best bet for a good mix of brew pubs, restaurants and nightlife.

I like the Boeing Future of Flight Tour in their Everett plant. This is NOT the museum of flight down at Boeing Field in Seattle. There are several pretty uniquely Seattle museums to visit too but they are pretty spread out through the city: History and Industry, MofFlight, Wing Luke, Burke, etc..

If you're looking for an in-city hike/ walk / paddle try the UW arboretum botanical gardens. You can easily spend a day in here. Don't go to Greenlake.

Thanks for all the insight, my plans are coming together nicely.

Do the bars open Sunday morning for the NFL games? If so any recommendations for watching the Bills game in downtown Seattle?

My girlfriend and I booked our trip to Seattle for October 15-19. We will be staying at her brother's place in downtown Seattle, so we will be looking to spend a day doing the typical touristy stuff in Seattle proper and also spending our last day going to the Seahawks/Panthers game.

Our other day (Friday or Saturday), we hope to take a day trip outside of Seattle (preferably 6-8 hours in length). We are not really into hiking, so would prefer to stick to a scenic drive and some nice towns to stop in. Any other suggestions that haven't already been brought up in this thread?

A couple that come to mind take a ferry with the end destination being Port Townsend. Easy drive, that's a nice little town on Puget Sound. Make it up to Hurricane Ridge in Olympic National Park if you have time.

In opposite direction drive to Leavenworth is not bad. It's a Bavarian themed town. A bit corny but in a great setting.

A couple that come to mind take a ferry with the end destination being Port Townsend. Easy drive, that's a nice little town on Puget Sound. Make it up to Hurricane Ridge in Olympic National Park if you have time.

In opposite direction drive to Leavenworth is not bad. It's a Bavarian themed town. A bit corny but in a great setting.
Thanks. This sounds like a festive spot for mid-October, right?

I have never done it but looks like they do stuff for Octoberfest

Be warned the town is small and only has 1 smallish freeway going through it so it would be crazy I bet. I have been up for a Christmas thing they do was fun but it was packed.

I've been to Leavenworth twice in the last two weeks before hikes/camping trips. Stayed the night Thursday and heard one of the reception people at the hotel telling someone on the phone that they sell out for Oktoberfest a year in advance. So yes, fun but as The General said crowded.

The town itself is corny, but the drive there can't be beat in terms of scenery. Also you can eat very well there; can't recommend Munchen Haus highly enough for various wursts and beer. I think it's a charming place.

The other suggestion, Port Townsend, is a great little town very close to where I live now. If you come out that way there are a bunch of great scenic spots to see as well.

Another option would be to drive North on I-5 up to Whatcom county and explore Chuckanut Drive, either with or without a stop in Bellingham, which is a pretty neat college town (Western Washington University) near the Canadian Border.

Users who are viewing this thread