What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Leonard Fournette, FA (4 Viewers)

Can't believe I am 4-2 in a league where my top two picks were Fournette and Cook
Yea, well, I'm 0-6 in one league where I took Gurley with the first pick. More points than some teams with 3 wins. The whole aspect of H2H needs to go away, imo.  Victory points is a good middle ground but I wish more leagues were total points only regular season and just be H2H during playoffs. The point is to score points, not beat a random assortment of other players. I don't get how this concept even started. Makes no sense to me but have to play it because everyone else does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, well, I'm 0-6 in one league where I took Gurley with the first pick. More points than some teams with 3 wins. The whole aspect of H2H needs to go away, imo.  Victory points is a good middle ground but I wish more leagues were total points only regular season and just be H2H during playoffs. The point is to score points, not beat a random assortment of other players. I don't get how this concept even started. Makes no sense to me but have to play it because everyone else does.
The point of fantasy football has traditionally been to compete head-to-head directly against other teams of magic football players.  Best Ball and total points leagues are the red-headed stepchildren and nothing more than a small percentage of total leagues.

It sucks that the schedule bit you in the ####, but them's the breaks son.

The point of fantasy football has traditionally been to compete head-to-head directly against other teams of magic football players.  Best Ball and total points leagues are the red-headed stepchildren and nothing more than a small percentage of total leagues.

This is demonstrably false. Total point leagues were the first games and H2H concept came much later. 

https://www.fantasyindex.com/resources/the-birth-of-fantasy-football

It's just that way because it's more fun.  Total points is obviously the ultimate in fairness and picking out who is actually the best team, but it's often boring because there just isn't that week to week on edge feeling where every TD and yard is important. 

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess Phenomia didn't play a lot of, let's just say, competitive sports early on.

And, wtf did the rest of your draft look like w/ Gurley in the 1st to be 0-6?  Lennie in the 2nd is to blame? 

Methinks you need to do some self reflection.

So now that Hyde seems to be headed to JAX...

...what does this mean about Fournette?

Super scary indication that he may not play at all for ROS? 

Time share if he does come back?

Hard to believe that if Fournette is healthy, it becomes an RBBC as opposed to using Hyde as a COP in the same way the team used Yeldon et al to spell Fournette.

I am very worried that this means that the team believes Fournette is on the shelf for the entire season, though. Hyde, while not spectacular, is a pretty proven 3 down back and imagine that terms are higher and more invested than simply getting a cheaper stop-gap for depth through the bye.

Very worried. Should we be?

Hard to believe that if Fournette is healthy, it becomes an RBBC as opposed to using Hyde as a COP in the same way the team used Yeldon et al to spell Fournette.

I am very worried that this means that the team believes Fournette is on the shelf for the entire season, though. Hyde, while not spectacular, is a pretty proven 3 down back and imagine that terms are higher and more invested than simply getting a cheaper stop-gap for depth through the bye.

I honestly don’t see any other way to look at it. Yeldon has done well filling in, so I don’t think they make this move u less they feel much lower/worse about Fournette. 

I'm a big fan of Hyde but a healthy Fournette is a much better back. 

So yeah, I'm guessing this is a bad sign for Fournette this year.

Can't believe I am 4-2 in a league where my top two picks were Fournette and Cook
I'm 3-3 in a league where my initial drafted RBs we're Drake, Barber, Jaamal Williams, and Crowell as I went heavy on WR and TE (Michael Thomas, AJ, Cooks, Ertz).

None of those RBs are on my team any more.

Through FA I've picked up Cook, Fournette, Latavius, Lindsay, Chubb, and Clement.

I'm hopeful for a run now. Pun intended.

I don't think it necessarily means Fournette is done.  They only gave up a fifth round pick for Hyde.  The Dolphins got a fourth round pick for Ajayi last year when they traded him, and Gase wanted him off the team no matter what.  The Jags are 3-3 and Yeldon is iffy (or possibly worse) for this week.  If they lose this week and next they might not make the playoffs.

Even if Hyde is the starter for only 2 weeks, if they get a win both weeks, the trade is probably worth it.  And Hyde would still be a valuable backup at a somewhat reduced price, since the Browns are on the hook for his signing bonus against the cap, so you're not looking at a massive cap hit against the Jags.

Of course, if Fournette is healthy after the Bye, having Hyde should mean he gets spelled more often than he would be without Hyde, so this does lower Fournette's ceiling.  And it's possible Fournette really is done, although as a Fournette owner who has neither Yeldon nor Hyde, I hope not.

I expect a full blown committee when/if Fournette comes back.  You need two RBs in the NFL regardless.  If the Jags have any hope of a Super Bowl run this year, this was necessary.  

Losing all of their TEs, they are down to TEs that basically block.  It looks like the Jags, in the end product, will try to run the ball even more to try to counter the KCs and NEs of the AFC.  

I don't think it necessarily means Fournette is done.  They only gave up a fifth round pick for Hyde.  The Dolphins got a fourth round pick for Ajayi last year when they traded him, and Gase wanted him off the team no matter what.  The Jags are 3-3 and Yeldon is iffy (or possibly worse) for this week.  If they lose this week and next they might not make the playoffs.

Even if Hyde is the starter for only 2 weeks, if they get a win both weeks, the trade is probably worth it.  And Hyde would still be a valuable backup at a somewhat reduced price, since the Browns are on the hook for his signing bonus against the cap, so you're not looking at a massive cap hit against the Jags.

Of course, if Fournette is healthy after the Bye, having Hyde should mean he gets spelled more often than he would be without Hyde, so this does lower Fournette's ceiling.  And it's possible Fournette really is done, although as a Fournette owner who has neither Yeldon nor Hyde, I hope not.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. It's either this ^^^^^^^^ or he's done for the year........

I expect a full blown committee when/if Fournette comes back.  You need two RBs in the NFL regardless.  If the Jags have any hope of a Super Bowl run this year, this was necessary.  

Losing all of their TEs, they are down to TEs that basically block.  It looks like the Jags, in the end product, will try to run the ball even more to try to counter the KCs and NEs of the AFC.  
Why? Hyde is only mediocre, Fournette is very very good.

Learned?  Not much.  Revealed?  That it was more severe to begin with perhaps...
It's clearly worse than they hoped, in the sense that they suggested he might play this week. 

Fournette's not ready, they don't know when he'll be ready, and they can't afford to lose games because of it in the meantime. 

It's clearly worse than they hoped, in the sense that they suggested he might play this week. 

Fournette's not ready, they don't know when he'll be ready, and they can't afford to lose games because of it in the meantime. 
That's the other logical possibility.

This is all gut instinct and personal opinion.  I'm not stating anything that should be taken as anything more than that:  Best case scenario is that they got Hyde so that they have enough of a running game to let Fournette sit for multiple more weeks to heal properly. Worse case scenario is that Fournette suffered a pretty bad setback and might miss the year.  Regardless--even if Fournette comes back in a few weeks--he's no longer a bell cow RB this season as long as Hyde and Yeldon are healthy.   No matter how you look at it--this is brutal news for Fournette redraft owners. 

This is the most likely reasoning. Don't forget they lost Corey Grant as well. And a 5th rounder isn't much for someone of Hyde's talents. 

Guys, let's not panic here.

Jags are tied for the division lead in a really weak division.  They expect to win it and get to the playoffs.  They're a team that relies on the ground game as the engine of their offense as Bortles is inconsistent at best and dog #### at worst, but they have a good defense.  They need to control the clock and run the ball effectively.

I'm betting Fournette won't be 100% until after their bye and will need to be used sparingly if at all until then.  They're sitting with a banged-up TJ Yeldon and the walking corpse of Jamaal Charles at RB right now.  A 5th round pick isn't a high price to pay to get a solid, proven back that can churn out yards on the ground and keep them in their offense for a few weeks until Fournette returns.

They spent the #4 overall pick on Fournette.  They spent a 5th rounder on Hyde.  Hyde isn't taking over the #1 role and Fournette did some running and limited work this week.  He's not going to IR.  Hyde will command a solid share of the carries until LF is 100% and then will be relegated to an every 3rd or 4th series back.

Maybe they figured out Jamaal Charles is trash, they already lost Grant, and the injury prone TJ Yeldon is all they really have at RB. Fournette could be really messed up and miss multiple more games, but adding a RB seems like a prudent thing to do for the Jags regardless.

Why? Hyde is only mediocre, Fournette is very very good.
Hyde was on pace for a 1000+ yard season and was top 5 in TDs scored this season.  He is a goal line back. 

The best ability is availability.  I have had Fournette for two seasons now.  Fourette has not always performed to his "reputation" IMO - even when he is healthy..  

Michael Silver‏Verified account @MikeSilver

Jags' decision to trade for Carlos Hyde stemmed from mounting frustration inside the building--and particularly among coaches--about Fournette's prolonged absence. Built the offense around him, hamstring issue continues to linger

1:33 PM - 19 Oct 2018

Michael Silver‏Verified account @MikeSilver

Jags' decision to trade for Carlos Hyde stemmed from mounting frustration inside the building--and particularly among coaches--about Fournette's prolonged absence. Built the offense around him, hamstring issue continues to linger

1:33 PM - 19 Oct 2018
So like the exact opposite of what Concept Coop said. Lol

Guys, let's not panic here.

Jags are tied for the division lead in a really weak division.  They expect to win it and get to the playoffs.  They're a team that relies on the ground game as the engine of their offense as Bortles is inconsistent at best and dog #### at worst, but they have a good defense.  They need to control the clock and run the ball effectively.

I'm betting Fournette won't be 100% until after their bye and will need to be used sparingly if at all until then.  They're sitting with a banged-up TJ Yeldon and the walking corpse of Jamaal Charles at RB right now.  A 5th round pick isn't a high price to pay to get a solid, proven back that can churn out yards on the ground and keep them in their offense for a few weeks until Fournette returns.

They spent the #4 overall pick on Fournette.  They spent a 5th rounder on Hyde.  Hyde isn't taking over the #1 role and Fournette did some running and limited work this week.  He's not going to IR.  Hyde will command a solid share of the carries until LF is 100% and then will be relegated to an every 3rd or 4th series back.
Great post. Although in terms of the bolded, we don't know that for certainty. I think your take, and take from the JAX beat writer from @Buck Bradcanon below presents the Occam's Razor explanation.

Jags reporter..

No, I don't think this means he's had a setback. I think he'll play at Indianapolis after the bye. This trade is the #Jaguars saying, "We will not be burned by a Fournette injury again."

https://twitter.com/hayscarlyon/status/1053383127828172801?s=21
However, this is not to say that a reinjury in practice this week -- or subsequent days and weeks leading into and out of the bye-- couldn't set Fournette back even further than the expected "back after the bye" timeline. At some point if that has happened, there may be benefit to clear roster space to further bolster this core (and other areas of the team) for the very purpose of staying abreast of the other mediocre teams in this winnable division.

Here's wishing that the best case scenario at this point -- the one we were on all along in Fournette returning to studly ways after fully resting through the bye -- is what indeed comes to fruition.

Users who are viewing this thread