What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Leonard Fournette, FA (3 Viewers)

Hardly seems like the actions of someone who "is in a good place", at least in a good place with his team. 

Best news I've read all day to be honest. Hope this challenge to his guarantees gets irrevocably contentious.
Why doesn't it?  It's no different than a player who appeals a suspension (which Fournette did when he got suspended); it's a part of the process.  In all likelihood, the arbitrator will upheld the voidance, and that will be that.  Fournette (and his agent) would be foolish not to appeal, but it doesn't say anything, one way or the other, about whether he is in a good place or bad place, whether he loves the Jags or hates the Jags.  It's just a part of the process.

Should be obvious it's a contentious relationship.  That's not being in a good place and some Jag beat writers I follow are echoing the same thing but you do you.
It does seem like it was/is contentious.  The fact that Fournette is appealing the voiding of the guaranteed money isn't why.  The two things aren't related.  If it is a contentious relationship, it was before Fournette made this decision.  If it wasn't a contentious relationship (everything is "all better" after their recent meeting), this decision won't change that fact.

When Foles voids the last year of his contract, does that mean the Foles/Philly relationship is contentious?  When Philly doesn't pay Foles the playing time bonus he just missed out on, does that make the relationship contentious?  When NE doesn't pay Brady the bonus money he missed out on 2018, does that make the NE/Brady relationship contentious?

It's a business, as much (maybe more) as it is a game.  We all like to think the players love their franchise and should do anything for that franchise, and that the franchise loves its' players and treats them like family, but that isn't true.  It's a business.  Jax voided the guarantees because they could, and it was in their best interest to do so.  Fournette is appealing that decision because he can, and because it is in his best interest to do so.  End of story.  

Last edited by a moderator:
It's $7m in bonus money.  Of course that will be challenged. 
And of course that's not being in a good place either.

I'll tell you same thing I told the other guy. Feel free to believe the relationship between the two is just great and that if there actually is a contentious relationship it means nothing in terms of Fournette's productivity, role on the team or chances of getting moved. 

I'll tell you same thing I told the other guy. Feel free to believe the relationship between the two is just great and that if there actually is a contentious relationship it means nothing in terms of Fournette's productivity, role on the team or chances of getting moved. 
What do you mean by "either"?  We're talking about the same situation here - him trying to get his bonus money.

I don't think they have a great relationship.  It's strained, no doubt.  I don't think I'd call it contentious.  I don't think I'd call him trying to recoup his $7m as contentious either.  His agent is likely making him do that, as he'd get a piece of it.  It's part of the business. 

What do you mean by "either"?  We're talking about the same situation here - him trying to get his bonus money.

I don't think they have a great relationship.  It's strained, no doubt.  I don't think I'd call it contentious.  I don't think I'd call him trying to recoup his $7m as contentious either.  His agent is likely making him do that, as he'd get a piece of it.  It's part of the business. 

No idea what you mean by the "either" question, don't think we are on the same page here.

I can't really address the impact of how this impacts the relationship and what that means without just repeating what I just wrote to you in the previous reply. And I can't comment on your theory as to why he would be going after $7m without coming of as insulting either. Will just wrap it up by saying I don't think this time next year he'll be a Jaguar and that Marrones comments about him "being in a good place" was simply him trying to not make Jags appear desperate to get solid trade comp back for him, which is good business. 

menobrown said:
No idea what you mean by the "either" question, don't think we are on the same page here.
Three posts up you said "and of course that's not being in a good place either."  What did you mean by "either" when I'm talking about the same thing that you and Bayhawks were discussing?

He's going after the $7m because, well, it's $7 million dollars.  If there is an arbitrator out there who says that he didn't violate his contract, or that a settlement in the middle should be made (say $3.5m), then it would be stupid to not at least try.  He should at least try that no matter if his relationship with the team is great right now, or lousy.  Again, it's $7m. 

Three posts up you said "and of course that's not being in a good place either."  What did you mean by "either" when I'm talking about the same thing that you and Bayhawks were discussing?

He's going after the $7m because, well, it's $7 million dollars.  If there is an arbitrator out there who says that he didn't violate his contract, or that a settlement in the middle should be made (say $3.5m), then it would be stupid to not at least try.  He should at least try that no matter if his relationship with the team is great right now, or lousy.  Again, it's $7m. 
The "either" question.  You said of course he's going after his money. I agree.  But I would also add to that "of course" it also means he's not in a good place "either".  If you are in anyway implying that I don't think Fournette should be going after his money you got everything I'm saying twisted.

It sound to me like where we see this differently is you think  going after his money and being in a good place are mutually inclusive and I think they are mutually exclusive.

The "either" question.  You said of course he's going after his money. I agree.  But I would also add to that "of course" it also means he's not in a good place "either".  If you are in anyway implying that I don't think Fournette should be going after his money you got everything I'm saying twisted.

It sound to me like where we see this differently is you think  going after his money and being in a good place are mutually inclusive and I think they are mutually exclusive.
Yes, why would it be mutually exclusive?  I'm a commissioned sales guy.  I love my job and the freedom it affords me.  I often get into situations with my employer as to definitions in my contract.  Such as if I sell a policy to an individual, and then a year later sell a policy to that individual's company - is that a "new client" or an "existing client".  I get paid more selling something to a new customer than an existing one - but is an individual and his sole proprietorship the same thing?  I say no - and I can treat his business as a new client, and himself as an existing one.  Having that disagreement over money with my employer doesn't mean I'm in a bad place (or not in a good place) at all - I'm going to love my job either way. 

Fournette's situation, in regards to his contract dispute, isn't really any different other than being somewhere in the neighborhood of a few thousand times larger than mine.

Yes, why would it be mutually exclusive?  I'm a commissioned sales guy.  I love my job and the freedom it affords me.  I often get into situations with my employer as to definitions in my contract.  Such as if I sell a policy to an individual, and then a year later sell a policy to that individual's company - is that a "new client" or an "existing client".  I get paid more selling something to a new customer than an existing one - but is an individual and his sole proprietorship the same thing?  I say no - and I can treat his business as a new client, and himself as an existing one.  Having that disagreement over money with my employer doesn't mean I'm in a bad place (or not in a good place) at all - I'm going to love my job either way. 

Fournette's situation, in regards to his contract dispute, isn't really any different other than being somewhere in the neighborhood of a few thousand times larger than mine.
Sorry but I can't follow your work related logic as it pertains to Fournette anymore than I could follow your logic that Fournette was going after his money because his agent,  who can't get more then 3%, is making him do it. I just don't know what to say to some things.

I believe it's  mutually exclusive because I don't view an employer trying to take $7m away and the employee being in a good place as both occurring. You do, I don't, seems simple enough. I already attempted to end this by stating  in so many words we agree to disagree. Not sure what else is to be gained by this back and forth.

Sorry but I can't follow your work related logic as it pertains to Fournette anymore than I could follow your logic that Fournette was going after his money because his agent,  who can't get more then 3%, is making him do it. I just don't know what to say to some things.

I believe it's  mutually exclusive because I don't view an employer trying to take $7m away and the employee being in a good place as both occurring. You do, I don't, seems simple enough. I already attempted to end this by stating  in so many words we agree to disagree. Not sure what else is to be gained by this back and forth.
Apparently, Fournette has a point in bringing up his challenge.  So if the team was in the wrong for voiding the guarantees, why wouldn't he challenge their decision?  Again, that doesn't mean he's not in a good place with them - though them voiding the deal in the first place points to the team not being in a good place with him.  Maybe when they met they cleared the air - I don't know I wasn't there.  But him going after money that he may very well still be fully entitled to having as guaranteed remain as guaranteed doesn't to me mean he's not in a good place. 

Also, that phrase "in a good place" is pretty vague.  In a good place in what way?  Mentally?  In a good place (with the team)?  I can be upset at someone, even my employer, but still be in a very good place personally. 

menobrown said:

nobody said they were BFFs.  That’s you trying to create a strawman.  All I said is that him appealing the team’s decision to void his guarantees is a normal part of the process.  You want to make it more than it is, OK, you do you.  

The employer already “took” the $7M.  If your OP had implied that was “putting them in a bad place,” that would have had more merit.  But your implication that Fournette trying to get as much of his money as he could was a sign that HE was in a bad place.  If his appeal gets denied and he goes on Twitter, trashing the Jags, then I’d say he’s in a bad place (which, obviously could happen), but the fact that he is appealing is not any kind of evidence that he’s “not in a good place” with regards to his team.

The employer already “took” the $7M.  If your OP had implied that was “putting them in a bad place,” that would have had more merit.  But your implication that Fournette trying to get as much of his money as he could was a sign that HE was in a bad place.  If his appeal gets denied and he goes on Twitter, trashing the Jags, then I’d say he’s in a bad place (which, obviously could happen), but the fact that he is appealing is not any kind of evidence that he’s “not in a good place” with regards to his team.
dude you are crazy, his GM took $7 million from him, LF is pissed. He isn't rich yet. He is portraying he is fine in attempt to keep his value up. Your argument is just kind of silly IMO. Not sure why you don't let this drop, we heard you

dude you are crazy, his GM took $7 million from him, LF is pissed. He isn't rich yet. He is portraying he is fine in attempt to keep his value up. Your argument is just kind of silly IMO. Not sure why you don't let this drop, we heard you
Huh?  What argument do you think I’m making?  Because I’ve said several times that the relationship does appear to be tense, and that Fournette might not be happy.  But filing an appeal isn’t any kind of proof of that; it’s just common sense.  If there’s a chance to get some/all of the $7M back, you do it, whether you love the Jags or hate the Jags.

My god some of you will argue about anything and everything! I can’t imagine putting that much thought into a simple comment by another poster.  I feel bad for some of you who are clearly not getting enough satisfaction in your real lives that you need to be “right” on the internet. About what exactly? Oh yeah... “either” and “contentious”. 🤣

So, football things. If the Jags still have Fournette when the season starts, and they got a QB that has actual talent (unlike Bortles), shouldn't that drastically help Fournette? One of the reasons he had such a crap YPC was because he faced a ton of boxes with 10-11 guys in them because nobody was afraid of Bortles. Also, I don't think that Bortles is good at reading defenses, so a vet like Flacco or Foles could help by just properly assigning blocking prior to the play. If Fournette comes back healthy and in-shape, I don't think that the situation will be worse than this year. 

That said, I hope the Jags trade him. I'd be happy with the Steelers sending a 5th for him, assuming the coaching staff can be more strict than they were with AB. 

So, football things. If the Jags still have Fournette when the season starts, and they got a QB that has actual talent (unlike Bortles), shouldn't that drastically help Fournette?
If he remains with the Jaguars I think the biggest help he can get is the OL staying healthy. Norvell was an expensive but strong signing he was one of a few OL that went down and a RB like Fournette is not going to create on his own.

Foles probably won't hurt but I'm extremely down on the OC hire as it relates to Fournette. They don't seem like an ideal match at all and that's one of the reasons, along with trying to take his bonus money away, I still think he won't be a Jaguar despite the effort of the team to put out a rosy report.

So, football things. If the Jags still have Fournette when the season starts, and they got a QB that has actual talent (unlike Bortles), shouldn't that drastically help Fournette? One of the reasons he had such a crap YPC was because he faced a ton of boxes with 10-11 guys in them because nobody was afraid of Bortles. Also, I don't think that Bortles is good at reading defenses, so a vet like Flacco or Foles could help by just properly assigning blocking prior to the play. If Fournette comes back healthy and in-shape, I don't think that the situation will be worse than this year. 

That said, I hope the Jags trade him. I'd be happy with the Steelers sending a 5th for him, assuming the coaching staff can be more strict than they were with AB. 
The O-line was a big issue this year.  They were slammed with injuries.    menobrown beat me to it.  Should have read to the last post before responding.

Not sure why the Steelers would trade for Fournette.  They have Conner, who is cheaper, and seems like less of a knucklehead, IMO.

Also, that phrase "in a good place" is pretty vague.  In a good place in what way?  Mentally?  In a good place (with the team)?  I can be upset at someone, even my employer, but still be in a very good place personally. 
Maybe the Jaguars traded him to NBC, to star in "The Good Place". They already make fun of the Jaguars on the show all the time, might as well go the extra mile and have Fournette there next season. Makes sense to me - wasn't a common criticism of him as a prospect that he didn't really love football, but rather wanted to be a star? Now he can. 

Pull out his 90 and 75 yd TD runs from 2017 and his ypc was under 3.3. 

Volume dependent w/a good nose for the end zone  

so essentially he’s LeGarrette Blount with chronic lower body injuries  

Good riddance pal 
Pretty sure one of those runs was the fastest play by any player with the ball in his hands in 2017. Which means that on that play, he ran faster than even Tyreek Hill did the entire season.

Now, does the guy have some soft injury issues and some attitude issues as well? Absolutely.

But he's still an elite talent IMO. YPC is going to be crappy for most players facing more players in the box than anyone else in the league.

Maybe I'm just a truther, but I think with any kind of passing game he's a stud again this year.

Pull out his 90 and 75 yd TD runs from 2017 and his ypc was under 3.3. 

Volume dependent w/a good nose for the end zone  

so essentially he’s LeGarrette Blount with chronic lower body injuries  

Good riddance pal 
Pull out Barry Sanders runs over 50 yards ..........never mind.

He reminds me a lot of Jonathan Stewart in the lower leg injury dept. Then throw in the knucklehead behavior and why would you want to commit to him long term?

A change of scenery is probably best. Look at what it did for a guy like Ebron. 

A change of scenery could be best for Fournette. However, the combination of immense hype, underperformance and ego has me concerned his career will go down as a 30 for 30 “one of the best that never was.”

Jaguars EVP Tom Coughlin has "full confidence" in Leonard Fournette.

Coughlin ripped Fournette after the season finale and went after the guaranteed money in his contract, but the two sides reportedly had a meeting to "clear the air" back in January. "He does have some things he’s got to prove when he comes back about his preparation," Coughlin said, "but he’s a young, young player, he loves football, had an outstanding year, had a very disappointing year, and I think he wants to -- we want him to be a great player and I think he’s in the same mindset." Fournette is going to get another shot with an improved situation at quarterback, but this relationship could go south if the Jaguars have another rough year.

SOURCE: ESPN

Mar 19, 2019, 8:07 AM

That $204 speeding ticket he didn't bother to pay still needs to be paid plus all the fines and fees accumulated. Now it's cost him $1508 in bail plus whatever he ponies up to cover a lawyer and court fees to resolve it. Brilliant move. 

I get that people need to pay their tickets but sure seems excessive to me that failure to pay a ticket for going  37 MPH in a 25 MPH zone would need to result in being handcuffed and arrested.

As for Fournette it's a slow news day and about a million people are tweeting out "not good". Well duh, it's not good but it's not that bad either.

Ugh - he got the dreaded vote of confidence before the arrest.

This thing is minor, but it adds to the pile and Coughlin is not patient.

I get that people need to pay their tickets but sure seems excessive to me that failure to pay a ticket for going  37 MPH in a 25 MPH zone would need to result in being handcuffed and arrested.

As for Fournette it's a slow news day and about a million people are tweeting out "not good". Well duh, it's not good but it's not that bad either.
Remember when people were defending Tyreek Hill? Saying things like "it's not that bad it's not like he went 37 in a 25 or something."

Actually 37 in a 25 in my neighborhood is kind of reckless to be honest. Super narrow streets. Kids everywhere. People drive like savages here. But arrested for not paying the fines? Ehhhh I don't know. 

Mostly schtick^^^^^but I agree this won't be anything big(at all) for Fournette and the Jags.

Jaguars OC John DeFilippo said Leonard Fournette will continue to have a 'major' role in the offense.

"We're really looking forward to Leonard having a big year," DeFilippo said. "I'm going to call it what it is: He's going to be a major reason where our offense goes." Fournette had a falling out with management last year, but this confirms he's going to remain the focal point of the new offense. With Nick Foles replacing Blake Bortles, Fournette's in a great rebound spot if he stays healthy.

SOURCE: jaguars.com

May 24, 2019, 5:37 PM ET

Leonard Fournette expects to be a "big part" of the Jaguars' passing game in 2019.

Nick Foles expects the same thing. "That’s a threat," Foles said of Fournette potentially catching passes. "If you ask any defender, when a running back can go out of the backfield and not only run the ball and protect, but he can receive, that’s really tough on a defense." Fournette joked after Thursday's practice that he had 1,000 receiving yards during this week's minicamp. Fournette has 58 receptions through 21 NFL games, so he hasn't exactly been a zero as a receiver. Further involvement would significantly increase both his floor and ceiling.

SOURCE: Michael DiRocco on Twitter

Jun 13, 2019, 8:40 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread