What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Leonard Fournette, FA (8 Viewers)

I saw that he’s filing a grievance for his $4M salary, so probably unclaimed, right? Otherwise someone else would have picked up that salary he’s now fighting for? 
I forgot who but someone itt said he has no shot to win. If he thinks he has a good shot to win he might not play at all this year. I don't believe he has the right to double dip. So why would he play for less and risk injury. If he doesn't have good odds of winning it he'll sign somewhere in the next few weeks. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw that he’s filing a grievance for his $4M salary, so probably unclaimed, right? Otherwise someone else would have picked up that salary he’s now fighting for? 
I'm guessing he doesn't want to play for far less, which is what I think he would have to do now if he wants to play.  Is that the way you see it?

ETA:  Maybe he has a case for the 4M?

To summarize, it's complicated. The Jags filed a grievance last year wanting to withhold any bonus money and eliminate any offset language in his contract. That case was not heard or ruled on yet. So the issue now is that teams don't know if they can sign him for the league minimum or not (because the Jags would have to pick up the tab for the first $4.1 million of a new contract for this season). Under normal offset language, the Jags would have to pay whatever the difference is to that $4.1 million. But if teams aren't sure about that, LF would certainly want more than a low dollar / league minimum deal for this season.

To summarize, it's complicated. The Jags filed a grievance last year wanting to withhold any bonus money and eliminate any offset language in his contract. That case was not heard or ruled on yet. So the issue now is that teams don't know if they can sign him for the league minimum or not (because the Jags would have to pick up the tab for the first $4.1 million of a new contract for this season). Under normal offset language, the Jags would have to pay whatever the difference is to that $4.1 million. But if teams aren't sure about that, LF would certainly want more than a low dollar / league minimum deal for this season.
Thanks for that explanation. 

Man he might not be playing this year if he thinks he can win that grievance. Sucks for all his owners but it is what it is. 

Rotoworld take:

LEONARD FOURNETTERB, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports free agent Leonard Fournette has filed a grievance against the Jaguars to recoup his $4.167 million salary for 2020. 

The Jags voided the remainder of Fournette's guarantees after the league gave him a one-game suspension in 2018. The fight has been ongoing ever since. It was an expansive reading of the rules by the Jags, as Fournette's suspension was not drug, steroid or off-the-field related, but rather for punching Shaq Lawson. It is unclear how an arbiter might eventually rule.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Sep 1, 2020, 4:25 PM ET

If that's the case it sounds 50/50 to me. So the correct play for Fournette is to sign somewhere for anything over 50% of what he was supposed to make. 

LEONARD FOURNETTERB, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports free agent Leonard Fournette has filed a grievance against the Jaguars to recoup his $4.167 million salary for 2020. 

The Jags voided the remainder of Fournette's guarantees after the league gave him a one-game suspension in 2018. The fight has been ongoing ever since. It was an expansive reading of the rules by the Jags, as Fournette's suspension was not drug, steroid or off-the-field related, but rather for punching Shaq Lawson. It is unclear how an arbiter might eventually rule.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Sep 1, 2020, 4:25 PM ET
Sounds to me like he has a decent chance to win his case.  I've seen arbitrators side with the player before and probably for less.

Could you cut and paste from that link?  My work doesn't allow Twitter.
Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

·

6m

Forty-five minutes past the waiver claim deadine and former #Jaguars RB Leonard Fournette has not been informed he’s been claimed. Generally, that’s a sign he’ll be a free agent.

The Saints would be a nice landing spot for Fournette if they move Kamara. I mean do you want Kamara for 16m/yr or Fournette for less than 4m/1yr. 

RB adds or trades move win totals in Vegas less than a game bro. 
Curious where you got this from. I remember that being true when Zeke was holding out, but that was mostly because Vegas assumed the deal was getting done when they set the original odds.

Curious where you got this from. I remember that being true when Zeke was holding out, but that was mostly because Vegas assumed the deal was getting done when they set the original odds.
It's been like that for a while. When Bell was holding out it didn't change Pitts o/u win totals either. RB don't really matter I guess. 

They do to us in FF but not real football. 

What’s his value as it stands right now in dynasty I wonder ? I’m one starting RB short of  seriously gunning for the title in my league. Have tried making moves for the likes of Chubb and Kamara recently to no success. Wondering if sending something like a 2021 2nd rounder might get the job done with so much uncertainty around him. Possible chance it can pay off if  he ends up somewhere like Chicago 

You’re right, bro.  Fournette in the Saints offense would be a glorious fit of square peg and round hole.  
Ok but 16m vs 2m. Kamara isn't getting it from the Saints. They can add a RB for a fraction of the price. Good fit for Fournette because he'll get lots if scoring opportunities not great for the Saints but cost does come into play. 

*edit* 

Also relax.

The Saints would be a nice landing spot for Fournette if they move Kamara. I mean do you want Kamara for 16m/yr or Fournette for less than 4m/1yr. 
They have Murray for that role.  Why would the Saints want Fournette to replace Kamara?  That doesn't make sense to me.

What’s his value as it stands right now in dynasty I wonder ? I’m one starting RB short of  seriously gunning for the title in my league. Have tried making moves for the likes of Chubb and Kamara recently to no success. Wondering if sending something like a 2021 2nd rounder might get the job done with so much uncertainty around him. Possible chance it can pay off if  he ends up somewhere like Chicago 
2021 2nd got rejected without comment or counter when I tried it yesterday.

OMG, volume brought up.  duck!!!  Thanks for the post Faust.
Wow, let it go man.  I know this is way off topic but your incessant posting on Fournette's volume warrants it.  

We are all going to take our fantasy winnings and chip in for a hooker you can enjoy.  Not one of those talented girls just a product of a lot of volume.  You're dying to be right so bad you're manifesting on every page of this thread.

Wow, let it go man.  I know this is way off topic but your incessant posting on Fournette's volume warrants it.  

We are all going to take our fantasy winnings and chip in for a hooker you can enjoy.  Not one of those talented girls just a product of a lot of volume.  You're dying to be right so bad you're manifesting on every page of this thread.
I don’t know which is worse, me commenting on his volume multiple times or the multiple posts about me posting about his volume.  I had dropped it man.  Move on.

But the fit is so bad.  Why not just roll with Murray?  Better fit for what they do and already there.  Fournette would just muddy the water regardless of cost.  It still doesn't make sense to me.
Yeah it's not a great fit for the saints agreed but are they paying 16m/yr for Kamara?

Latest odds on Fournette's landing spot to keep this on topic.This info is from Oddsshark

Who Will Leonard Fournette Play For In Week 1 Of The NFL Regular Season?

TeamOdds

Chicago Bears+250

New England Patriots+275

Washington+325

Tampa Bay Buccaneers+400

Seattle Seahawks+1100

Pittsburgh Steelers+1100

Houston Texans+1200

Atlanta Falcons+1300

Ummm, I'll take the elite RB for the extra dough over the over rated malcontent, 8 days a week.
They don't have it though. Sure they can move some money around but real hard to get under the cap this year with that size Kamara contract and they'd be tight the next couple years as well. 

Latest odds on Fournette's landing spot to keep this on topic.This info is from Oddsshark

TeamOdds

Chicago Bears+250

New England Patriots+275

Washington+325

Tampa Bay Buccaneers+400

Seattle Seahawks+1100

Pittsburgh Steelers+1100

Houston Texans+1200

Atlanta Falcons+1300
Pray for the Bucs. The Bears would be a disaster. 

TeamOdds

Chicago Bears+250

New England Patriots+275

Washington+325

Tampa Bay Buccaneers+400

Seattle Seahawks+1100

Pittsburgh Steelers+1100

Houston Texans+1200

Atlanta Falcons+1300
The Bears, Bucs, and Washington makes the most sense.   Followed by Pittsburgh.  As a McFarland owner I hope it isn’t Pittsburgh.

Haven't read much in this thread, but I think the numbers he has put up the past couple years have more to do with volume than anything.  

This would blow the internet up.....

Matt Verderame

@MattVerderame

My understanding is the Chiefs have potential interest in Leonard Fournette now that he's cleared waivers. The money would need to be right as he'd be backing up Clyde Edwards-Helaire, who has impressed considerably in training camp.

Matt Verderame

@MattVerderame

My understanding is the Chiefs have potential interest in Leonard Fournette now that he's cleared waivers. The money would need to be right as he'd be backing up Clyde Edwards-Helaire, who has impressed considerably in training camp.
Not a great landing spot, but if CEH got hurt, then the internet would blow up.

At this point I don’t care who NE signs because I don’t think they will be very good.  I used to care for years.
I don't think that would be a good spot. You never know who they are going to give the carries too. 

Not a great landing spot, but if CEH got hurt, then the internet would blow up.
This is where maybe you and I would differ. I agree it's not a great spot for touches but I feel he would do very well with the touches he did get in that situation. 

Matt Verderame

@MattVerderame

Read my mind. This would be absolutely hilarious but a great fit considering CEH’s short comings

This is where maybe you and I would differ. I agree it's not a great spot for touches but I feel he would do very well with the touches he did get in that situation. 
Yep, great offense so I see your point.  But I don’t think LF is the type of RB KC likes.

Yep, great offense so I see your point.  But I don’t think LF is the type of RB KC likes.
Yeah i have no idea how true the rumor is I just envision all the space Mahomes/Reek/Kelce would create for Fournette (and his 10 carries/gm) plus all the GL carries. He could certainly do worse. 

So maybe he's a RB2 there with TD upside. 

Users who are viewing this thread