What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Leonard Fournette, FA (2 Viewers)

Just trying to be nice here but be careful how you treat Johnny. He tends to tease people when his guys are doing good and then if you tease/troll him back he will turn you into the mods. I reluctantly just put him on ignore because I don't want to get banned. 
Appreciate you looking out.  Just thought after weeks and weeks of back and forth on why LF was a bust... it deserved a callout.  Dude was an every down back yesterday and the future is looking pretty bright.  No ill will, just trying to have some fun.  😎

As good as Ronald Jones can look with the ball in his hands, be does not have the mental make-up to be a lead, every down back. And, that's about as nice as I can be about it.

As good as Ronald Jones can look with the ball in his hands, be does not have the mental make-up to be a lead, every down back. And, that's about as nice as I can be about it.
What Jones has shown us is that he is replaceable. He'll always be in danger of losing snaps to any RB that can average more that 3.5 ypc. 

Honestly, the most impressive thing I saw yesterday was the little wheel route he ran near the goal line before the first TD.  Looked really smooth catching the ball with his hands in stride.  Brady loved it too, and gave him a look like, "nice play, here's your reward" right before he put it in his belly again for the score. 

I didn't overreact last week, not overreacting this one. Like I said last week it would take some sort of Jones mistake/mediocre game for Fournette to net more carries and Jones might've just made one. Keep in mind that while we don't know roles yet, the assumption was that Fournette would probably inherit a type of super LeGarrette Blount role: used as a COP/series back, positive game scripts and at the goal line. That's mainly what happened yesterday + Jones being benched.

I'm not going to call this competition settled one way or the other, but Tampa Bay and Arians have now seen the good part of Leonard Fournette. The leash for RoJo has probably shrunk a bit more now.

One of the main knocks on Fournette from his detractors was that he's a plodding RB. That's actually not true. He's not extremely shifty, but he can make huge chunk plays because he can actually out-run some d-backs.

I didn't overreact last week, not overreacting this one. Like I said last week it would take some sort of Jones mistake/mediocre game for Fournette to net more carries and Jones might've just made one. Keep in mind that while we don't know roles yet, the assumption was that Fournette would probably inherit a type of super LeGarrette Blount role: used as a COP/series back, positive game scripts and at the goal line. That's mainly what happened yesterday + Jones being benched.

I'm not going to call this competition settled one way or the other, but Tampa Bay and Arians have now seen the good part of Leonard Fournette. The leash for RoJo has probably shrunk a bit more now.
It's too early to tell for sure but there's no value in waiting till everyone else knows. 

One of the main knocks on Fournette from his detractors was that he's a plodding RB. That's actually not true. He's not extremely shifty, but he can make huge chunk plays because he can actually out-run some d-backs.
No, the main knock on Fournette was he's terrible in pass protection. I don't recall seeing that he's a plodding RB.  I am still wondering what's gonna happen if he gets Brady blowed up. 

No, the main knock on Fournette was he's terrible in pass protection. I don't recall seeing that he's a plodding RB.  I am still wondering what's gonna happen if he gets Brady blowed up. 
I think I read the word "plodding" in this very forum a half dozen times last week.

And, quite honestly... there might not be a worse RB in pass pro who has started a game this year than Jones.

It's too early to tell for sure but there's no value in waiting till everyone else knows. 
... what does this mean exactly?

My point earlier is that there really isn't any overwhelming evidence to say it's Fournette's job outright, but there is plenty of evidence to say Fournette's role so far is secure and Jones will not be a bell cow back.

Which is funny because Jones might be worse at pass protection. Whomever doesn't get Brady killed could win the job.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can check this thread. Lots of Fournette hate. 
I guess so...I don't hate Fournette, nor do I love RoJo (though my love for him was growing as his feature back role was being cemented since he was a cheap dynasty investment) - I think week to week we're still going to see some good and bad out of both backs. I had to start RoJo and was thrilled with his TD. Fournette owners were clearly more thrilled with his much longer TD, but they did use both backs, and Brady looked a lot better with a non-gimpy Mike Evans (who i also have in dynasty). 

Some weeks will be better or worse for owners of both of these players. I think it's clear that RoJo isn't going away. I think it's also clear that Fournette is a good RB who's establishing himself on the Bucs. 

Other than that it's all still TBD week to week. And let's be honest - the Panthers defense is not awesome, so it's hard to put any take-away in stone based on this  game. 

Tampa Bay Buccaneers WR Chris Godwin clears concussion protocol; no RB change

Excerpt:

Arians also said that despite Leonard Fournette's 103-yard rushing performance, which included two touchdowns and 13 receiving yards, he's comfortable with Ronald Jones remaining the starter and not making a change there. Jones rushed for 23 yards on seven carries and caught two passes for 4 receiving yards.

"Not right now. I think everybody's role is good right now. There's no need for that. He still doesn't know enough of this offense yet to be the starter," Arians said of Fournette.

"I love the way it's at right now. RoJo had a great run for a touchdown. Got us off. Had good blitz pickup. He did screw up the handoff on the draw, but that's easily correctable. To have Leonard come in fresh-legged in the fourth quarter and pound it like that -- very few teams have that combination. Shady did a good job on third down. I know that one catch he'd like to have back that he dropped. I thought our backs played really, really well, other than the handoff fumble."

Is this like whataboutism in politics?
A little? lol 

I'm just sayin - neither is Ezekiel Elliott, and even he was considered replaceable for a minute when Pollard showed well during Zeke's holdout. 

I don't see the Bucs eliminating RoJo's role, and one game against a pretty bad Panthers D is a small sample size.  I expect, as most do, that Fournette will command the lion's share of touches so long as he's healthy & so long as he's not getting Brady blowed up. 

I didn't get a he was benched vibe from RoJo yesterday. I thought they used Fournette as you eluded to with your Blount reference - as a finisher. He's not a plodder, but he is a one note power back (this is not a bad thing). And those types are difficult to slow down when playing from behind late, as was the case with the Panthers. 

I think you may be right about the shortening leash, but going into week 3 at least I see this as a hot hand approach BUT positive game scripts being kind to Fournette. With Denver being so beat up that's a good thing for him this week. 

He also had the big run late in game to help close it out. Stuff like that gets you more reps. 

Brady still looks good to me, think Fournette owners might have landed on their feet after he was cut. 

Very disappointed in this offense so far.  
It's early. Timing's off. Things are sloppy all over the league. It will come together.

More I think about it, the more I feel Fournette may have snatched this job yesterday. Nice to have a RB that can take it to the house. I kind of remember Fournette having a few of those the year JAX made a deep play-off run. Can't say that I recall anything like that for Jones.

Judge Smails said:
Very disappointed in this offense so far.  
Not making excuses, but there were three touchdowns dropped yesterday.  No Godwin.  If they're able to get the timing down owning the Tampa RBs is going to be very valuable.

He's had several Sundays where he was the fastest guy on a football field. Surprisingly he only ran a 4.51 at the combine.

He must have 8 gears or something. 

On-the-field evidence #4,921 that the 40-yard dash is useless
Agreed. Dude's got "closer" instincts. I'll go back again to JAX deep play-off run a few seasons back... seemed like he provided a back-breaking long run every week.

Similar to Shaun Alexander back in the day... close game late... Alexander to the house, drop the mic.

Leonard Fournette had seven carries for 15 yards and caught two passes for seven yards in Week 3 against the Broncos.

Fournette took a backseat after out-touching Ronald Jones and scoring two TDs last week. He averaged just 2.1 YPC on his seven attempts. Even with the Bucs playing with a three-score lead, Fournette didn't have much of a role in this one. Fournette is a touchdown-dependent RB4 for Week 4 against the Chargers.

Sep 27, 2020, 7:43 PM ET

Leonard Fournette (ankle) did not practice Wednesday.

Fournette looked poised to take over Tampa Bay's backfield after his 12-103-1 performance in Week 2, but Uncle Lenny handled just seven carries for 15 yards against Denver in the Week 3 win. If he's healthy for it, Fournette will be real tough to trust as a fantasy play against the Chargers this Sunday.

Sep 30, 2020, 7:58 PM ET

Bucs RB Leonard Fournette (ankle) isn't practicing Thursday. 

This is Fournette's second straight missed practice. After getting just seven carries for 15 yards last week against Denver and suffering the ankle injury, it appears Fournette could once again take a backseat to Ronald Jones as Tampa's primary ball carrier. Jones would be a flex-worthy play this week against the Chargers if Fournette is inactive. 

RELATED: 

Ronald Jones

SOURCE: Greg Auman on Twitter 

Oct 1, 2020, 11:37 AM ET

Leonard Fournette (ankle) has been ruled out for Week 4 against the Chargers.

Fournette was never going to play after he missed practice all week. He could be looking at a multi-game absence. Ronald Jones will see a larger workload with Fournette sidelined, with LeSean McCoy picking up some pass-game snaps.

SOURCE: NFL Network

Oct 2, 2020, 12:29 PM ET

Leonard Fournette (ankle) will be a game-time decision for Thursday night's contest against the Bears. 

Fournette did not practice Tuesday. Coach Bruce Arians said he will try to get some reps in on Wednesday. Ronald Jones showed well enough in Fournette's Week 4 absence, though he also dropped some passes. If Fournette can get cleared, he uncertain health and workload situations will render him a highly-risky FLEX. 

SOURCE: Rick Stroud on Twitter 

Oct 6, 2020, 1:32 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread