What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Leonard Fournette, FA (5 Viewers)

This is how most good RB get their numbers. You can't take away their best run. 
Not taking it away. Just pointing out he’s looked tentative on runs where there isn’t a clear hole. It does appear he’s at minimum the 3rd down back+ at the moment though. There’s certainly value in that role. 

Leonard Fournette, pass catching "nickel" runningback... IN 2020!

...the Gods truly must be goosey...
See, I said that was what I thought might happen - that Fournette getting touches might come at McCoy's expense, and I was basically told I was coocoo bananas, so...

I think this is just plain old RBBC, with each getting a series here and there & occasions with both on the field. 

The only real takeaway here is that Ariens hates him some FF managers. 💡

Hot Sauce Guy said:
See, I said that was what I thought might happen - that Fournette getting touches might come at McCoy's expense, and I was basically told I was coocoo bananas, so...

I think this is just plain old RBBC, with each getting a series here and there & occasions with both on the field. 

The only real takeaway here is that Ariens hates him some FF managers. 💡
also means that in PPR Fournette is the guy to own.  IMO

I see them as relatively equal value ROS.

PPR lowers Jones floor in the same way RoJo GL opportunities will limit Fournette’s ceiling.

I still give Jones the edge, because there will be some early down pass pro for Jones that will result in dump-offS. He won’t be devoid of receptions, but it sure sounds like he’ll be on the field more. 

I’m gonna say 60-40, edge to Jones PPR. Both flex-worthy witH TD-dependant RB2 upside. Non-PPR Jones is a RB2, Fournette is a “what the heck” dart throw at flex. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I see them as relatively equal value ROS.

PPR lowers Jones floor in the same way RoJo GL opportunities will limit Fournette’s ceiling.

I still give Jones the edge, because there will be some early down pass pro for Jones that will result in dump-offS. He won’t be devoid of receptions, but it sure sounds like he’ll be on the field more. 

I’m gonna say 60-40, edge to Jones PPR. Both flex-worthy witH TD-dependant RB2 upside. Non-PPR Jones is a RB2, Fournette is a “what the heck” dart throw at flex. 
Fournette could easily steal some goal line carries here and there.

Afraid I agree.  Seizing the passing game role with a QB who has always been willing to throw to his RB's did wonders for his floor.

I know I feel considerably more comfortable putting Fournette in a lineup then I do ROJO right now.

Fournette could easily steal some goal line carries here and there.
Sure he will and already had 2 carries and a reception inside the 10 yard line last week, which was one more then ROJO.

Leonard Fournette rushed 15 times for 52 yards and caught 3-of-6 targets for 19 yards in the Bucs' Week 8 win over the Giants.

Ronald Jones got the start and handled the bulk of the early touches, but he fumbled deep in his own end in the second quarter, and it was pretty much all Fournette after that. Fournette ended up out-carrying Jones 15-7 and seeing six targets to Jones' four. Fournette already has the pass-game role locked up, and he now looks like the preferred early-down runner for the Bucs. He's an RB2 going forward ahead of a week 9 date with the Saints.

Nov 2, 2020, 11:48 PM ET

Leonard Fournette played 51 snaps in Week 8 against the Giants while Ronald Jones played 17 snaps. 

Jones was effectively benched for two quarters after fumbling deep in Tampa's end of the field. Fournette out-rushed Jones 15-17 and saw six targets to Jones' four. Fournette being astoundingly ineffective doesn't seem to matter much to Bruce Arians and the Bucs coaching staff. He'll be the superior fantasy start in the Tampa backfield next week against the Saints. 

RELATED: 

Ronald Jones

SOURCE: Adam Levitan on Twitter 

Nov 3, 2020, 8:50 AM ET

I'm getting annoyed with the situation in Denver.  Is Fournette in a better situation than Gordon?
marginally. his pass pro is trusted, he's getting targets. kind of have to ignore the film bc while he is pedestrian as a runner, he's going to have enough volume to Flex. the line is outstanding so I wouldn't get too hung up on how average he looks. I'm just talking about if you need a good FF RB3 with a high floor; he will be less inconsistent than most IMO. Jones usually comes out on passing downs and despite evidence to the contrary, Arians will use Leonard in short yardage and the RZ.

I'm not a huge fan, but sometimes you want a consistent 10-15 points (full PPR), sometimes you want a what the heck boom/bust. If you are more comfortable with the former, I think the 2020 version of Fournette fits the bill.

Fournette ran hard against an improving run D and didn't make mistakes; that's ultimately the key for what Arians Brady wants. The O has enough weapons around them that they don't mind slightly lesser (?) production from Fournette as long as he grinds out 4 yards, catches the passes he's supposed to and picks up the blitzes.

RoJo is being treated like the rookie player on a perennial NBA Finals team; we have a system so do things the way we like and don't #### things up. RoJo has a history of ####ing things up and Arians Brady isn't going to tolerate it.

Fournette ran hard against an improving run D and didn't make mistakes; that's ultimately the key for what Arians Brady wants. The O has enough weapons around them that they don't mind slightly lesser (?) production from Fournette as long as he grinds out 4 yards, catches the passes he's supposed to and picks up the blitzes.

RoJo is being treated like the rookie player on a perennial NBA Finals team; we have a system so do things the way we like and don't #### things up. RoJo has a history of ####ing things up and Arians Brady isn't going to tolerate it.
I'd agree with this. Jones is very obviously a better runner, and probably better overall player, but he does drop more passes. The fumble was a little meh, I think any RB may have fumbled a tipped ball that was caught off balance, with a perfect hit. But it happened, and I guess its Jones fault. Does feel like they are purposely making the offense less effective with Fournette though.

I also agree with your point about how this is less an Arians offense and more a Brady offense, and I think along those same lines of why Fournette seems to have passed Jones, it stands to reason that Antonio Brown will instantly be the #1 WR, simply because its what Brady wants.

Leonard Fournette rushed eight times for 19 yards and caught 2-of-3 targets for 11 yards in the Bucs' Week 10 win over the Panthers.

Fournette was fully relegated to backup duties in this game. Even an early fumble by Ronald Jones was not enough to get Fournette more involved. It seems the former top 10 pick will be mostly used in games that feature the Bucs working in negative gamescript - conversely, they dominated this contest.

- Rotoworld

Leonard Fournette rushed three times for 10 yards in the Bucs' Week 12 loss to the Chiefs.

He added three catches for 10 additional yards on three targets in the pass game. Fournette was out-touched 10-6 by Ronald Jones, who turned his 10 looks into 104 yards and one touchdown which included a 37-yard touchdown grab. Jones has outplayed Fournette the past couple weeks and looks to have reclaimed 1A duties ahead of the Week 13 bye.

- Rotoworld

Will start if Jones can't play

December 16, 2020

Coach Bruce Arians said Wednesday that Fournette will start Week 15 if Ronald Jones (finger/COVID list) is unavailable, Jenna Laine of ESPN.com reports.

ANALYSIS
Fournette was a healthy scratch during last weekend's win over the Vikings, but with Ronald Jones having undergone finger surgery and been placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list over the past two days, the state of Tampa Bay's backfield is in flux. LeSean McCoy, Ke'Shawn Vaughn and Kenjon Barner would all also be candidates to mix in if Jones ultimately is ruled out.
I just wonder if Fournette "starts," how much work McCoy will get as well. Makes me nervous to potentially start Fournette in my flex. But the fact that Arians came out and said Fournette would be the starter is intriguing. 

If Ronald Jones can't go, Bucs have depth and experience behind him

Excerpt:

Fournette would be the starter

Leonard Fournette had overtaken LeSean McCoy as the third-down back this season but was benched Sunday in favor of McCoy, whom quarterback Tom Brady advocated to get more involved in the offense.

Since neither Fournette nor McCoy play special teams in Tampa, one’s opportunity often times this season has come at the expense of the other. Arians doesn’t believe Fournette’s confidence was rattled by the decision.

“He’s in a great spot. He understood everything last week and he understands everything this week. He had a great practice today,” Arians said. “Leonard’s a pro. Just like everybody else on our team, it’s a week-to-week thing.”

Fournette’s produced an up-and-down season with the Bucs since his late arrival just prior to Week 1, rushing for 271 yards on 69 carries and three touchdowns, along with 28 catches for 171 receiving yards.

At times he’s looked magnificent, rushing for 103 yards and two touchdowns against the Carolina Panthers in Week 2, including a 46-yard game-winning run in the fourth quarter. Some even called for him to overtake Jones for the starting role afterward.

But then at other times, he’s looked timid and lacked his usual burst. In fact, since his Week 7 performance against the Las Vegas Raiders, when he rushed for 4.55 yards per carry and produced 47 receiving yards on six catches, he hasn’t averaged more than 3.5 yards per rush in a game. His three drops against the Los Angeles Rams were also baffling, as he’s never had a game with multiple drops in the NFL.

He does give them some flexibility in playcalling though, as he does have more natural hands than Jones. His 75.7% receptions per target rate is tops among the Bucs’ RBs, as are his 6.11 yards per reception and 6.39 yards after the catch per reception. He’s also produced a 10.8% drop rate, which is the lowest among their running backs.

The key in all this: Where is his head at? Arians said he’s fine, but Fournette also admitted he had a rough time when Arians decided to sit him last minute for an extra week in Week 6, before acknowledging that Arians had his “best interest at heart” in keeping him healthy. Did his benching last week wear at his confidence or light a fire?

"Just like every back -- every back wants to touch the ball, and when those guys are not in there, they're all pissed off," assistant head coach/run game coordinator Harold Goodwin said. "That's a good thing. At the end of the day, there's only so many carries for so many guys. And at the end of the day, there's a lot of guys, but there's only one running back on the field, so they just gotta suck it up."

Speaking Thursday, OC Byron Leftwich hinted Leonard Fournette would lead the Bucs' Ronald Jones-less Week 15 backfield against the Falcons. 

"He’s been great," Leftwich said of Fournette, who was a healthy scratch against the Vikings last Sunday. "He’s been here all week putting in work. He’s been working since he got here. It’s great to have a guy like that that you can lean on." Leftwich was also sure to talk up LeSean McCoy and Ke'Shawn Vaughn, who played over Fournette in Week 14. "We've got guys we really depend on, we believe in that they can go out there and get the job done." Despite Fournette's recent deactivation, he is the Bucs' only non-Jones back with the capability to lead a backfield right now. We would slot Fournette in as a mid-range RB3/FLEX for the fantasy semifinals. 

RELATED: 

LeSean McCoy

, Ke'Shawn Vaughn

SOURCE: Rick Stroud on Twitter 

Dec 17, 2020, 1:58 PM ET

Leonard Fournette rushed 14 times for 49 yards and two touchdowns in the Bucs' Week 15 win over the Falcons.

Fournette made the start with Ronald Jones (finger, COVID) out, and his 14 carries easily paced the backfield, as Ke'Shawn Vaughn handled the other two reps. Fournette wasn't very good in this one, but he did convert a pair of one-yard touchdowns after Mike Evans was stopped inside the five a couple times. Fournette also caught 3-of-5 targets for 16 yards in the passing game. It's unclear how long Jones will be out, but Fournette did enough in this one to feel comfortable with him as a legit back-end RB1 against the Lions in Week 16 if Jones sits agin.

Dec 20, 2020, 4:23 PM ET

What are thoughts on him vs Lions who sound like they may have some Covid out players? I'd RoJo is out is McCoy much of a threat?. Have Jeff Wilson in my flex in a standard league and Jacobs vs the phins. All 3 seem rather interchangeable. I just don't have a clear usage of Fournette in that offense. 

What are thoughts on him vs Lions who sound like they may have some Covid out players? I'd RoJo is out is McCoy much of a threat?. Have Jeff Wilson in my flex in a standard league and Jacobs vs the phins. All 3 seem rather interchangeable. I just don't have a clear usage of Fournette in that offense. 
McCoy will siphon carries, but I wouldn't say he's a threat. Fournette will likely get the opportunity to shoulder the bulk of carries.

That said, if he falters -- drops a pass, fumbles, etc. -- the risk is that Arians flips the script and gives the ball to McCoy to handle from there.

This looks like a fairly good match up but I just can't bring myself to trust Fournette to take full advantage of it where there are other options (Bell, Henderson, etc.) that I think are better this week.

I'm starting Fournette today with full confidence. Last week he got 14 carries (including 2 goal-line TDs), 5 targets, and 3 receptions. McCoy received 0 carries, 3 targets, and 3 receptions last week. And that was against a good Falcons rush D. Today they're going up against the Lions, worst in the league. 

I had cooks last night. Jacobs in  my second slot. Playing him over Wilson in my flex in standard scoring. Not sure I feel super shiny over  Jacobs as my 2 but SF game script with 3rd string QB  to put in Wilson. 

Leonard Fournette (abdomen) was limited in Wednesday's practice.

With Ronald Jones expected back this week following a two-week absence, Fournette is expected to go back to 1B duties behind Jones against the Falcons. Fournette won't be fantasy-viable in that role.

Dec 30, 2020, 5:01 PM ET

Leonard Fournette rushed five times for 13 yards in the Buccaneers' Week 17 win over the Falcons.

LeSean McCoy was made inactive because of COVID-19 precautions but should be able to suit up for the Bucs playoff opener versus the winner of the NFC East. That means that they could choose to make Fournette inactive next week as he had started to get healthy scratched before Ronald Jones was placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list. Fournette only holds fantasy value when Jones is out of the lineup. 

- Rotoworld

Leonard Fournette rushed 19 times for 93 yards and one touchdown in the Bucs' Wild Card win over Washington.

Fournette wasn't expected to start, but Ronald Jones suffered a setback during pre-game warmups. Fournette ended up playing most of the game, which led to a goal-line plunge and 39 receiving yards on four targets. It's unclear if Jones' setback was severe or if he'll return next weekend. When Jones has been healthy, Fournette has mostly been utilized as a third-down back. It's possible that today's performance earned him more looks even when Jones returns.

Jan 9, 2021, 11:48 PM ET

Leonard Fournette rushed 17 times for 63 yards and caught 5-of-6 targets for 44 yards and one touchdown in the Bucs' Divisional Round win over the Saints.

Fournette out-touched Ronald Jones 22-13 with Jones still battling his quad issue. Fournette's lone missed connection in the passing game was a bad drop, but Tom Brady stuck with him and later hit Fournette for a six-yard score in the third quarter. Fournette didn't get a whole lot going on the ground against a tough defense, but he chewed up critical gains on the final possession, picking up first downs and salting the clock to preserve the 10-point win. Fournette will play in his second conference title game next week at Green Bay.

Jan 17, 2021, 10:07 PM ET

Looks good the last couple of games. What does his contract look like? Any chance he gets a look as a lead back somewhere?

Leonard Fournette rushed 12 times for 55 yards and a touchdown in the Bucs' NFC Championship Game win over the Packers, adding five receptions for 19 additional yards. 

Aside from his spinning, tackle-breaking 20-yard touchdown run in the second quarter, it was a day to forget for Fournette, who had a pair of drops in an awful receiving performance. Part of the problem on the ground was Fournette being called on in far too obvious of rushing situations. He is not the kind of back who is going to turn those nothings into something. The Bucs' "hot hand" the entire postseason, Fournette will be the lead back for Super Bowl LV, at least to begin the game. 

Jan 24, 2021, 7:18 PM ET

Leonard Fournette rushed 16 times for 89 yards and a touchdown in the Bucs' Super Bowl LV victory over the Chiefs, adding four receptions for 46 additional yards. 

Tonight was "Playoff Lenny" at his finest, as he was bulldozing tacklers for extra yardage while actually displaying soft hands in the passing game. The Jags waived Fournette on August 31 after spending the offseason signaling they were no longer interested in the No. 5 overall pick of the 2017 Draft. Recruited by Tom Brady, he landed in Tampa Bay two days later where he settled into a season-long competition with Ronald Jones. See-sawing back and forth all year, Fournette was a healthy scratch for Week 14 but quickly re-emerged as the starter after RoJo broke his finger and contracted COVID-19. Fournette’s 64 postseason carries were just 33 fewer than he handled during the regular campaign. Like the Jags, the Bucs tried to make Fournette their pass-catching back, but he was a dismal flop in the role. Simply not a difference maker at age 26, we wouldn’t be surprised if impending free agent Fournette was allowed to walk after one year in Tampa.  

Feb 7, 2021, 10:21 PM ET

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo said the Bucs "would like to have" Leonard Fournette back in 2021. 

An unrestricted free agent this offseason, Playoff Lenny anchored the team's rushing attack in the postseason, totaling 135 yards against the Chiefs in Tampa's Super Bowl win. Ronald Jones entering the final year of his rookie contract doesn't make re-signing Fournette a must for the Bucs, though the team could sign Fournette to a team friendly, incentive-laden deal and keep their backfield intact. It's more than likely, however, that another team will swoop in and sign Fournette on the strength of his late-season run in Tom Brady's offense. 

RELATED: 

Ronald Jones

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Feb 8, 2021, 8:16 AM ET

He probably made himself a bit more money last night, but I doubt the market will be red hot for his services given the other FA RBs out there, the rookie draft, and the diminishing value of RBs in general.   

He probably made himself a bit more money last night, but I doubt the market will be red hot for his services given the other FA RBs out there, the rookie draft, and the diminishing value of RBs in general.   
The key is I think he played himself out of Tampa affording him....if Jones has that backfield to himself he could play himself into a #2 fantasy RB in that O

The key is I think he played himself out of Tampa affording him....if Jones has that backfield to himself he could play himself into a #2 fantasy RB in that O
Maybe - teams are not paying up that much any more for RBs. Even an in-his-prime Melvin Gordon didn't get a ton from Denver. Tampa may be willing to give Fournette just enough for him to stay on. As for Jones, I think Arians likes him well enough, but seems like the passing role may go to someone else (maybe Vaughn, maybe someone else). 

Even an in-his-prime Melvin Gordon didn't get a ton from Denver.
I was actually thinking of Gordon as it relates to Fournette earlier and my thought was in a normal year he might have played himself up to something like the 2/18 contract that Gordon got. I think with the reduced cap he'll come in around $5-7M annually instead, on a deal that provides outs after 1-2 seasons. But he for sure helped himself because before the playoffs I was thinking he was more in the $2-3M range on a one year deal.

I have him on two FFPC teams, small rosters and for me while it still depends where he lands he moved from someone I was thinking I was likely to cut to someone I'm likely to keep.

And last thing where is the Playoff Lenny stuff coming from? He was good this year in the playoffs but nothing just great and the last time he was in the playoffs he ran for 3.5 yards a carry. I hardly think any of it qualifies as earning the nickname Playoff Lenny.

And last thing where is the Playoff Lenny stuff coming from? He was good this year in the playoffs but nothing just great and the last time he was in the playoffs he ran for 3.5 yards a carry. I hardly think any of it qualifies as earning the nickname Playoff Lenny.
I would more likely call it Lenny For-Contract.

I'd like him in Miami, but only if he'll come for the Jordan Howard price (2/$10m). They need a big back.

Users who are viewing this thread