What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Leonard Fournette, FA (2 Viewers)

Hey, if you have the stones for it, go for the gold!

Fournette, while horrible the past two weeks, scored 27, 22, and 25 points in his first 3 games since coming back from injury in my PPR league.

No way in hell I'm putting a RB who can score like that on waivers for championship week.
Here is his scoring log for me this season (I left out the injuries):

SUSP

9.4 (ceded carries to a guy I never heard of in a close game and was returning a kickoff)

If he wants to start Fournette over Mixon, Chubb, or David Johnson, regardless of outcome, I think I'm happy with that. 

If he wants to start Fournette over Mixon, Chubb, or David Johnson, regardless of outcome, I think I'm happy with that. 
Well yeah, with those RBs you probably don't need to worry.

But the guy who has Michel and Coleman? I'd be worried about him for sure.

I would definitely rather my opponent be starting Sony against me than Fournette.  Sony hasn't cracked 8 fantasy points since Burkhead came back.

I would definitely rather my opponent be starting Sony against me than Fournette.  Sony hasn't cracked 8 fantasy points since Burkhead came back.
He has had 2 big runs called back in each of the last two weeks, IIRC. 

He looks solid, and they should hopefully take a lead and protect it with him. 

They really need to mix it up more when he is in the game. It becomes obvious they're going to run when he is in the backfield, they should pass more often to be a little less obvious. I don't have the stats, so I'm just spitballing here, but it feels like he is consistently running against a stacked box. 

I have MIchel, and have him and Fournette rated fairly equally this week, not sure if either make it into my final starting roster.

Last edited by a moderator:
He has had 2 big runs called back in each of the last two weeks, IIRC. 

He looks solid, and they should hopefully take a lead and protect it with him. 

They really need to mix it up more when he is in the game. It becomes obvious they're going to run when he is in the backfield, they should pass more often to be a little less obvious. I don't have the stats, so I'm just spitballing here, but it feels like he is consistently running against a stacked box. 
I have him in one of my main dynasties so I've been watching him a lot.

He had big runs called back by penalties that were what sprung him in the first place (it's not like it was illegal formation or something) and even with those runs he still would have had "meh" days.

I agree they should pass more with him in there but the problem is he's not a good pass blocker and when they tried to throw to him earlier in the year he looked really awful trying to catch the ball and even running the right route.

I benched him last week for Fournette and I'd do it again this week if I weren't eliminated in that league, which is probably because I've been having to start Fournette and/or Sony the last few weeks :P

Hey, if you have the stones for it, go for the gold!

Fournette, while horrible the past two weeks, scored 27, 22, and 25 points in his first 3 games since coming back from injury in my PPR league.

No way in hell I'm putting a RB who can score like that on waivers for championship week.
Jags and Fournette's situation seems to be a lot different now than it was 4 weeks ago.

Jags and Fournette's situation seems to be a lot different now than it was 4 weeks ago.
Can't argue with you there, and I am going to do my best to have him on the bench this weekend.

That said, I don't think anyone would be shocked if he ended up with 20+ carries and 20+ points against an atrocious Dolphins defense at home.

There HAS to be someone else you can drop.

Can't argue with you there, and I am going to do my best to have him on the bench this weekend.

That said, I don't think anyone would be shocked if he ended up with 20+ carries and 20+ points against an atrocious Dolphins defense at home.

Other drop candidates are McGuire, Damian Williams, or Robby Anderson.  Jamal Williams and Foster are targets for pickup.

Remember too I have to consider week 17, and I definitely don't see starting Fournette against the Texans.

Chickened out on dropping him.  Might do it Saturday so he can't be picked up this week.

What is the outlook for him next year? He was thought of as a 20-30 carry per game back who could put up huge numbers, but he's been hurt and unreliable when it comes to YPC. I think a lot of that is due to QB situation, decimated O-line, and poor coaching, but will there be change next year? 

My biggest fear is that he could be relegated to a committee next season and be much more unreliable, but there's talk that he could be traded or cut since his suspension removed his guarantees from his contract. That seems a bit crazy to me, I still think he's a talented RB, but the talking heads are beginning to say maybe he's not actually that good. 

He's no longer listed as questionable for this week...but can he be trusted even of healthy? Would you rather play him and get <5 points, or sit him and see him go off for >20?

What is the outlook for him next year? He was thought of as a 20-30 carry per game back who could put up huge numbers, but he's been hurt and unreliable when it comes to YPC. I think a lot of that is due to QB situation, decimated O-line, and poor coaching, but will there be change next year? 

My biggest fear is that he could be relegated to a committee next season and be much more unreliable, but there's talk that he could be traded or cut since his suspension removed his guarantees from his contract. That seems a bit crazy to me, I still think he's a talented RB, but the talking heads are beginning to say maybe he's not actually that good. 
he'll be cut or traded in the spring. 

There will be change next season. It's not likely to be a good situation, but it will be better: they can't do worse than Kessler and the offensive line they have now. 

As for the talking heads, that's what they do: talk. There were plenty calling Gurley overrated when his situation was holding him back. Hell, some were calling Saquon Barkley - the best RB prospect in a decade - overrated coming out of college. They did it with Melvin Gordon for years. 

The moment Fournette's situation is neutral even, he'll put up 4.2+ and the talk will fade. He has his weaknesses, but his stregnths are even more obvious. When the guy has any room to work, he's a handful. 

Why do you say that? I've read pundits suggest that they should trade him (and Ramsey), but nothing to indicate that they're actually considering it. 
I have nothing to back up this claim. I just think it makes sense. They have Hyde paid as a top-ish RB. Yeldon has done well this year in the passing game. Granted Fournette isn't expensive at this point, but I feel like he might be worth more as trade bait than anything else. The franchise has to be kind of fed up with how this guy acts. He's not a complete headcase, but he's no saint either. 

Jacksonville has a lot more issues to worry about right now than RB- and it's the position they are the most set at. I juts think it makes a lot of sense. On the other hand, LAR did pretty well getting Gurley in there and then bringing in a QB.

I just see them having so many needs that a rookie QB or even FA QB isn't going to fix. They could get a lot of draft capital for Fournette and make some big improvements to the team. Fournette isn't old either so they may be just fine rolling with him until the franchise gets going. 

I have nothing to back up this claim. I just think it makes sense. They have Hyde paid as a top-ish RB. Yeldon has done well this year in the passing game. Granted Fournette isn't expensive at this point, but I feel like he might be worth more as trade bait than anything else. The franchise has to be kind of fed up with how this guy acts. He's not a complete headcase, but he's no saint either. 

Jacksonville has a lot more issues to worry about right now than RB- and it's the position they are the most set at. I juts think it makes a lot of sense. On the other hand, LAR did pretty well getting Gurley in there and then bringing in a QB.

I just see them having so many needs that a rookie QB or even FA QB isn't going to fix. They could get a lot of draft capital for Fournette and make some big improvements to the team. Fournette isn't old either so they may be just fine rolling with him until the franchise gets going. 
If things are really bad behind the scenes, it might make sense. But they're going to cut Hyde's contract (he was a healthy scratch) and Yeldon is a FA who they view as a COP guy. 

If things are really bad behind the scenes, it might make sense. But they're going to cut Hyde's contract (he was a healthy scratch) and Yeldon is a FA who they view as a COP guy. 
Yes, if this is the case then I would expect Fournette to stay in Jacksonville.

JAX may feel like they are just a few pieces away from a SB run (after all they aren't much different than their run last year). Maybe they land Joe Flacco and they instantly are a better team. 

Dr. Dan said:
Yes, if this is the case then I would expect Fournette to stay in Jacksonville.

JAX may feel like they are just a few pieces away from a SB run (after all they aren't much different than their run last year). Maybe they land Joe Flacco and they instantly are a better team. 
You think Flacco makes them a better team? I don’t think we’ve been watching the same Flacco over the years. 

Dr. Dan said:
Do they really?  I mean this is a team that was a play from the Super Bowl last year with Bortles at the helm.

The defense is loaded with talent.  It's a scheme and ball control issue there, they aren't lacking in personnel.  The offensive line will be basically rebuilt by default just based on everyone returning from injury.

So other than QB, that leaves WR.  They aren't exciting there but they aren't terrible either, and I doubt any pick they get from Fournette is going to be early enough to land them a difference maker at WR unless they get really lucky.

This team doesn't remind me of the really bad teams that need to just be blown up.  They have lots of talent and a recent history of success.  They need guys back from injury, a competent QB, and better coaching.  Moving Fournette isn't really going to help with any of that.

Starting with zero confidence 
Now that Ware is looking like he'll play, I may have to do the same. I have both KC backs, but if they both play I don't really wanna try guessing who does better in PPR.

Fournette is just such a crap shoot right now. But I do feel like after everyone asking Marrone why he only got 1 carry in the 2nd half last week, he'll go off for 29/153/2 this week on everyone's benches. He also happens to be at home with an amazing matchup, if he's, you know, actually on the field for it.

Now that Ware is looking like he'll play, I may have to do the same. I have both KC backs, but if they both play I don't really wanna try guessing who does better in PPR.

Fournette is just such a crap shoot right now. But I do feel like after everyone asking Marrone why he only got 1 carry in the 2nd half last week, he'll go off for 29/153/2 this week on everyone's benches. He also happens to be at home with an amazing matchup, if he's, you know, actually on the field for it.
Dunno if this changes your thinking at all but he’s on the road not at home. I’m leaning towards benching for Jamaal Williams. Can’t trust that O.

I almost wonder if they just decided at half time they need a QB so bad they need to tank the season.  Since Fournette is their best player, the easiest way to accomplish that is to bench him.  It's easier to quit on the road than at home, and unfortunately this week Jax is on the road.

I have to decide whether to start him at Flex in PPR.  If there was no drama and I was convinced they wanted to win, then I would start him with full confidence, even at RB2.  His range of outcomes this week is anything from zero to 30 points.  Sheesh!

I almost wonder if they just decided at half time they need a QB so bad they need to tank the season.
I don't think so myself, plus they've had chances to pick a QB and foolishly declined. I just don't think Marrone is on firm enough ground to worry about the the future QB.

Tried to read up on this as much as I could this week and it's really kind of confusing and mixed signals.. On one hand Marrone was trying to say he benched Fournette because he was not playing well, he said something to the effect of his only had 21 carries on his first 10 carries and it was not all on the OL which is his way of saying it's on Fournette as well. But if you bench a player for poor performance and when you put him back in the game he rips of a 25 yard run I can't rationalize why he'd never touch the ball again.  Look at this like if he was a QB who had got benched for poor play in the first half, comes in for a play in the second half-throws a  long TD and then gets benched again. I think most of us would think that was odd.

Read that Jaguars want to feature him in offense but have big concerns about his lack of reliability. This makes sense so was this punishment to try and get him to act more professional? 

You said his range was 0 to 30 and in many ways I agree because I'd label him a boom/bust. Is he going to get benched again and cede a bunch of snaps or is he going to come out pissed off and ready to run wild and take advantage of fact he is relatively fresh legged and healthy late in the season?

I know one dynasty league I have him is in format where 4 teams make finals and it's total points week 15-16. I'm 4th, or last,and in a hole ranging from 18-50 points. I'm for sure playing him in a situation like that because I'll risk the bust for some boom.

Anyone trade Fournette lately? I own him in a couple dynasty leagues & want to move on...
The day the Kareem Hunt story broke, but literally one minute before Hunt was cut,  my team accepted a trade offer sending Fournette and Hunt for Barkley. At the time I assumed Hunt would likely miss 6 games next year and all would be good to go and I still immediately wanted to do this deal. That's not due to negativity on the players I gave up, it's because Barkley.

I got another league where I have a guaranteed top 4 pick(it's a draft playoffs).  I think deadline was before week Sunday of week 11 and that week I offered the pick and I think Callaway for him and got quickly rejected. I'd made that offer btw after browsing this board and seeing all the negative comments on Fournette and Cook and some deals they were involved in which seemed like people were letting their frustrations impact their decision making, and in this league I already own Cook so  I went after Fournette. 

FWIW Ware is doubtful, and I doubt he plays. Don't know if that makes your decision any easier.

I think this is right, although nothing with this franchise makes sense this year.  Jags would like to keep Yeldon, but another team will pay him more, and the salary cap constraints prevent spending too much for a backup COP back.

Fournette is still on his rookie deal, so he's relatively cheap ($7M) for a "potentially game-changing franchise" back.  (quotes intended).  Plus, with his erratic behavior over the last two years, I'm not sure his trade value is particularly high at this point.

Can’t imagine too many times someone was in their title game, with their first pick being healthy & starting in the actual game, and somehow benched in fantasy land... Really contemplating so many different players over him.

I am likely sitting Fournette for Chubb, Cook, and Mack.  I trust Fournette more than the Jaguars coaching staff.  Last week usage in the second half scares me.

He’s officially off my consideration list, guy rides the bench. 

Might just outright drop him, bad locker room guy, don’t want him on my roster anyways. Should we win, he doesn’t deserve to be a league champion, we did in spite of him this year.

I’ve swapped in jamal williams for him.. good luck to us fournette owners who made it this far... hope we can take it home with or without him...

I just dropped him, don’t even want him on my roster for this championship game. Let’s go Alshon Jeffrey!!

#### this guy, on my DND list in 2019!

Why over Gurley? I'm benching Fournette for D. Williams.
Gurley is banged up with a strong possibility of sitting.  Even if he plays, will he be extremely limited?  I think even Fournette can do better than that and is definitely a safer play.  Miami's run defense isn't very good.

Gurley is banged up with a strong possibility of sitting.  Even if he plays, will he be extremely limited?  I think even Fournette can do better than that and is definitely a safer play.  Miami's run defense isn't very good.
Sir, you have bigger balls than I. Gurley is playing. I could never bench him if I had him. Good luck.

Can't believe I'm benching this guy for Jamaal and Damien Williams in my championship week, but I think that's what I'm doing.

Users who are viewing this thread