Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Leonard Fournette, Jaguars

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Xue said:

I asked a question. One which you can't refute. 

He doesn't need an extra blocker to be effective .  It was a ridiculous question. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, psychobillies said:

He doesn't need an extra blocker to be effective .  It was a ridiculous question. 

Like I said before, it's not just about the extra blocker, it's where the runner lines up that makes him better in the I-formation.

It's ridiculous because you're from Louisiana and you're probably a Fournette fan.  It's ridiculous because he has no weakness, because he did so well having to run to the sideline and create vs Alabama and Arkansas.

You said there's nothing average about Fournette.

On 6/22/2016 at 2:41 PM, psychobillies said:

It helps to have an extra blocker when you see 9 in the box on a pretty regular basis.  There's nothing average about Fournette. 

Well, there absolutely is something average about him.  And you're not willing to admit it because you're already invested in the lie.

Edited by Xue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I plan to weigh what the college community, NFL scouts, game tape, and Xue find on Fournette then formulate an opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Xue said:

Like I said before, it's not just about the extra blocker, it's where the runner lines up that makes him better in the I-formation.

It's ridiculous because you're from Louisiana and you're probably a Fournette fan.  It's ridiculous because he has no weakness, because he did so well having to run to the sideline and create vs Alabama and Arkansas.

You said there's nothing average about Fournette.

Well, there absolutely is something average about him.  And you're not willing to admit it because you're already invested in the lie.

Did you watch those games?  Sure I'm an LSU fan, and I love the guy, but I'm beyond perplexed as to why anyone would call him average.  Not looking to make this personal, because it's not, but he's an incredible RB and athlete.  It almost feels like you're basing all of this on the clips you posted of him and Chubb.  All I'm saying is that there's a lot more to the story than that.  Nobody is lying.  He's just really, really good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously, next year's RB class is shaping up to be very strong.  I'm expecting 4 RBs to go in round 1.  Here's my order at this very moment and will likely change as the 2016 season unfolds.

 

Christian McCaffrey

Dalvin Cook

Leonard Fournette

Nick Chubb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Rhythmdoctor said:

Obviously, next year's RB class is shaping up to be very strong.  I'm expecting 4 RBs to go in round 1.  Here's my order at this very moment and will likely change as the 2016 season unfolds.

 

Christian McCaffrey

Dalvin Cook

Leonard Fournette

Nick Chubb

lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Xue said:

Like I said before, it's not just about the extra blocker, it's where the runner lines up that makes him better in the I-formation.

It's ridiculous because you're from Louisiana and you're probably a Fournette fan.  It's ridiculous because he has no weakness, because he did so well having to run to the sideline and create vs Alabama and Arkansas.

You said there's nothing average about Fournette.

Well, there absolutely is something average about him.  And you're not willing to admit it because you're already invested in the lie.

Biggest weakness I've seen has been the offensive game plans and quarterbacking he has had to play with.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, psychobillies said:

Did you watch those games?  Sure I'm an LSU fan, and I love the guy, but I'm beyond perplexed as to why anyone would call him average.  Not looking to make this personal, because it's not, but he's an incredible RB and athlete.  It almost feels like you're basing all of this on the clips you posted of him and Chubb.  All I'm saying is that there's a lot more to the story than that.  Nobody is lying.  He's just really, really good.

One of these LSU RBs has elite agility at 220+ lbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vwEnjmP_xI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Xue said:

One of these LSU RBs has elite agility at 220+ lbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vwEnjmP_xI

OK.  Guice is fantastic.  Probably gonna be the main reason Fournette doesn't win the Heisman.  He's too good not to give a bunch of carries to.  I think they're both above average.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Rhythmdoctor said:

Obviously, next year's RB class is shaping up to be very strong.  I'm expecting 4 RBs to go in round 1.  Here's my order at this very moment and will likely change as the 2016 season unfolds.

 

Christian McCaffrey

Dalvin Cook

Leonard Fournette

Nick Chubb

You think McCaffrey will be the first RB chosen? I respect your right to an opinion but there is no chance that happens.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, petekrum said:

You think McCaffrey will be the first RB chosen? I respect your right to an opinion but there is no chance that happens.

I don't know if he'll be first RB taken but he's my top RB at this moment in time.  Chubb's recovery may change that and of course the 2016 season still needs to be played.  But when I watch these guys on tape, I think McCaffrey looks the most special.  They are all very close, however.  I think all 4 are 1st round picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, petekrum said:

You think McCaffrey will be the first RB chosen? I respect your right to an opinion but there is no chance that happens.

You're gonna feel awefully silly when Fournette, Cook, and Chubb are abducted by aliens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, spider321 said:

You're gonna feel awefully silly when Fournette, Cook, and Chubb are abducted by aliens.

Those three and one or two more would have to be abducted for him to be the first RB taken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On June 22, 2016 at 11:21 PM, Xue said:

It is simple.  When he didn't run out of I-formation he is worse.  When he lost his starting Fullback he was worse.  So what is so special about him that he couldn't post video game numbers without the two?

The I-formation and Fullback go hand in hand.  It has more to do with where he lines up and less to do with having an extra blocker. 

We don't have to decide.  He is average, to an extent.  Unless you can show me numbers that say he isn't.

He simply possesses poor lateral explosiveness.  That limits what kind of blocking scheme he can play in.  You're basically hoping he goes to a team that uses a Fullback 75% of the time (just pulling an arbitrary figure out there).  If he's going to run out of Shotgun, he isn't any more special than other guys like Hood, Perine, and Cook who run primarily out of Shotgun.  And if he isn't that much better, what's the point of drafting him so high?

The point would be drafting the next Adrian Peterson.  Peterson's numbers are pedestrian out of the shotgun too.  I think you would want to maximize his strength, which would be a power running game.  Like Peterson he runs with an intensity unmatched by his peers.  Once he gets going, its as if he is 270lbs running 4.3.  So yeah, he is about as average as Adrian Peterson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nero said:

The point would be drafting the next Adrian Peterson.  Peterson's numbers are pedestrian out of the shotgun too.  I think you would want to maximize his strength, which would be a power running game.  Like Peterson he runs with an intensity unmatched by his peers.  Once he gets going, its as if he is 270lbs running 4.3.  So yeah, he is about as average as Adrian Peterson.

He is far from Adrian Peterson. Peterson is much better at creating yards on his own due to his cutting ability. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't fully formed my opinion on him yet, but I'd put him at #3 on my RB list for 2017 due to pure hype.  Haven't really watched much but I prefer my RB's to be patient and more agile, Fournette is neither of those things as of this moment that I've seen.  I see a sprinter athlete more than a really impressive RB than anything, but he's got some great running plays and shows great strength so maybe this year he'll improve and show me more.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he's the best RB in this class and this is a class that will have some very good RBs when it's all said and done. I think he's a faster and maybe just a bit stronger Corey Dillon (and I may be being too conservative).  Can't wait to see him in the NFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2016 at 10:45 PM, Rhythmdoctor said:

Obviously, next year's RB class is shaping up to be very strong.  I'm expecting 4 RBs to go in round 1.  Here's my order at this very moment and will likely change as the 2016 season unfolds.

 

Christian McCaffrey

Dalvin Cook

Leonard Fournette

Nick Chubb

I think Chubb looked completely awesome.  I've been following the college RB talk here, but I don't watch a lot of CFB.  I do consider myself a pretty serious observer of the draft, tho, and if Chubb were to be a 1st rounder after that injury, it would be a pretty big surprise in my eyes.  

Never say never, and 'no way' statements about the draft are almost always monstrously stupid, but injuries that serious, at RB, will remove him from several teams' 1st round board completely.  No matter how talented, if the knee is a concern, teams will avoid.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

https://twitter.com/Bischoff_Scott/status/752282751143931905

Quote

 

Finishing my report on LSU RB Leonard Fournette. I've given him a high 2nd round grade off of his sophomore film. Several reasons (1/3)

Fournette needs a small runway to get to full speed where he is incredibly dangerous. He's not super twitchy with great COD skills. (2/3)

Fournette also stops his feet behind the LOS which is death for RB in the NFL. He has a small sample size in the passing game in all areas.

Last on Fournette. As a receiver, he's not instinctive, allows lesser talented players to cover him. Lost on spacing/timing of passing game.

 

https://twitter.com/JeffRisdon/status/752285067611865088

Quote

My friend @Bischoff_Scott dropping knowledge on Fournette. I'm with Scott, I don't embrace the NFL star hype.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be expected. The nitpicking starts early with "Anointed One" type prospects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote
 

An AFC college scouting director says LSU junior RB Leonard Fournette is "a bad dude."

 

"Big, fast, nimble, runs with aggression," he said. "You watch a (Adrian) Peterson and see Gurley and talk about how rare they are, and two years later here comes another one. … And [FSU junior Dalvin] Cook is extremely dynamic. Those two are really good. It’s a (Ricky) Williams/(Edgerrin) James type of year, and the other kids are good too. You’re seeing a rebirth of the position." MMQB noted that Stanford’s Christian McCaffrey may be a third 2016 first-rounder from the group, while Georgia’s Nick Chubb could be fourth if he's healthy. The RB crop is so incredibly deep that Oregon’s Royce Freeman and Tennessee's Jalen Hurd head into the season almost as afterthoughts.
Source: MMQB

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fournette's name shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Peterson (woops). Watch even a few minutes of All Day at Oklahoma and you'll see him make cuts that aren't in Fournette's arsenal. Just check out the first two plays at ~1:14 here:

 

https://youtu.be/mGwx-ZmCGi8?t=1m12s


Peterson shows more footwork/agility/elusiveness in those two plays than I've ever seen from Fournette. Fournette has okay moves, but they're definitely not great. Watch the video below and you won't find too many crazy examples of him making people miss with elusiveness.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrJtl_mbR6k

 

I think he'll be a first round back because of his size/speed combo, but in the NFL I expect a career more like Mendenhall than Peterson. Short area movement and cuts are stressed so much in the NFL that I think it's hard for a back to be consistently great if he's average in those areas unless maybe he has mutant speed like Chris Johnson.

 

Edited by EBF
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, EBF said:

Fournette's name shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Peterson (woops). Watch even a few minutes of All Day at Oklahoma and you'll see him make cuts that aren't in Fournette's arsenal. Just check out the first two plays at ~1:14 here:

 

https://youtu.be/mGwx-ZmCGi8?t=1m12s


Peterson shows more footwork/agility/elusiveness in those two plays than I've ever seen from Fournette. Fournette has okay moves, but they're definitely not great. Watch the video below and you won't find too many crazy examples of him making people miss with elusiveness.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrJtl_mbR6k

 

I think he'll be a first round back because of his size/speed combo, but in the NFL I expect a career more like Mendenhall than Peterson. Short area movement and cuts are stressed so much in the NFL that I think it's hard for a back to consistently great if he's average in those areas unless maybe he has mutant speed like Chris Johnson.

 

Watching more of him, he does not remind me of Peterson. Maybe a Jamal Lewis as best case scenario?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally off subject, but I looked back at Jamal Lewis after the comparison struck me. It's insane how much fantasy has changed. IN 2003, Jamal Lewis had 2200 yards and 14 TDs, but was only the 4th best fantasy running back that year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A faster and maybe a bit stronger Corey Dillon. Nothing wrong with that. Free Taylor (who was vastly underrated) and maybe Gerald Riggs if you want to go way back also come to mind.

Edited by elguapo07

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, EBF said:

Fournette's name shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Peterson (woops). Watch even a few minutes of All Day at Oklahoma and you'll see him make cuts that aren't in Fournette's arsenal. Just check out the first two plays at ~1:14 here:

 

https://youtu.be/mGwx-ZmCGi8?t=1m12s


Peterson shows more footwork/agility/elusiveness in those two plays than I've ever seen from Fournette. Fournette has okay moves, but they're definitely not great. Watch the video below and you won't find too many crazy examples of him making people miss with elusiveness.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrJtl_mbR6k

 

I think he'll be a first round back because of his size/speed combo, but in the NFL I expect a career more like Mendenhall than Peterson. Short area movement and cuts are stressed so much in the NFL that I think it's hard for a back to consistently great if he's average in those areas unless maybe he has mutant speed like Chris Johnson.

 

I agree and Mendenhall is a good comp.  He also runs upright which I never like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

LSU junior RB Leonard Fournette (ankle) said that he has regained full health after suffering a minor ankle sprain in mid-August.

 

"I'm good. It was nothing too serious. It happens in football," Fournette said. HC Les Miles indicated that his 6-foot-1, 230-pound bellcow back has "practiced extremely well" after being shut down for a short time earlier this month in order to allow him to rest his balky ankle. Miles doesn't want to wear out Fournette during the season and said, "We're not going to keep him on the field when he's tired, no matter what." Fournette received 300 carries a season ago. He will begin his 2016 Heisman campaign with a Lambeau Field showdown against Wisconsin on Saturday.
 
 
Source: ESPN.com 
Aug 30 - 12:17 PM

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing Fournette doesn't get much credit for is his top end speed.  Once he gets to the second level he really seems to have another gear.  You don't see that type of top end speed with backs 230 or more.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

ESPN's Brett McMurphy reports LSU junior RB Leonard Fournette is very doubtful to play against Missouri on Saturday.

 

Fournette is dealing with an ankle injury, something in aggravated in a recent game after initially hurting it just before the season. Saturday's game is Ed Orgeron's first as LSU interim head coach, and he will be without his top player. Derrius Guice, the school's backup, is still one of the nation's best ball carriers. Fournette should take all the time he needs to heal.
 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don't see this guy popping off the screen the way his hype suggests. 

I'm probably missing something and haven't watch a ton of him... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how good he will be, but what I do know is that I get offers for him in my devy league all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, need2know said:

Plodder

Roll tide

Love how the guys who have only watched him play while injured this season think they know something about him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, spider321 said:

Love how the guys who have only watched him play while injured this season think they know something about him.

Just kidding man.  I have watched him his whole career.  He's a beast.  Lsu offense blows

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, need2know said:

Just kidding man.  I have watched him his whole career.  He's a beast.  Lsu offense blows

I really need to check my sarcasm filter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

Not sure how good he will be, but what I do know is that I get offers for him in my devy league all the time.

There's a reason for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, spider321 said:

Love how the guys who have only watched him play while injured this season think they know something about him.

I admittedly haven't seen that much of him.   He has been hurt all year? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, kittenmittens said:

I admittedly haven't seen that much of him.   He has been hurt all year? 

Yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty nice 1st half so far.  Welcome back Leonard!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...not too shabby of a 2nd half start either!

 

EDIT:

Stat-line from LSU vs. Ole Miss (ESPN) - 13:38 left in the 3rd:

 

RUSHING ATT YDS TD LG
  L. Fournette 7 249 3 78

 

RECEIVING REC YDS TD LG
L. Fournette 2 17 0 22
Edited by Bugg
Added stats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much would you guys give up to acquire the first pick in next year's rookie drafts? I'm assuming Fournette is almost a lock to be the concensus first pick... Are there any others who might challenge him for the top spot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thatguy said:

How much would you guys give up to acquire the first pick in next year's rookie drafts? I'm assuming Fournette is almost a lock to be the concensus first pick... Are there any others who might challenge him for the top spot?

A bunch of us don't think Fournette is the best RB coming out, and that's even before situation.  If you want to acquire the first pick go for it, but Fournette is hardly a lock to be thatguy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.